Pokemon Sun and Moon Players Fail Another Global Event

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Pokemon Sun and Moon Players Fail Another Global Event

Pokemon Sun and Moon players have failed the second global event in a row.

Global missions in Pokemon Sun and Moon are limited-time events where all players work towards reaching a collective goal, with a reward being issued upon completion to everyone who participated. The first Pokemon Sun and Moon event tanked pretty badly [https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/information/cb67decf-16b5-46ec-b7f6-b21ab67c3088] - Game Freak tasked players with catching 100 million Pokemon in two weeks, but players fell about 84 million short of that goal, catching only 16 million in the allowed time.

For the second attempt at a global even, Game Freak made it a bit easier - players only had to catch 1 million Pokemon using the game's Island Scan mechanic. This time, they only reached about 661,000 [https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/information/6a067558-8e7a-45e0-8c33-db988241f3f4]. As was the case with the last attempt, everyone who participated will receive Festival Coins, this time receiving 217.

In order to participate in global missions, players need to do more than just play the game and catch Pokemon. In order for your catches to count, you need to do the following, per the official website:

1. Enter Festival Plaza in Pokemon Sun or Pokemon Moon by selecting it in your in-game menu, which you'll find by pressing the X Button.
2. Enter Festival Plaza's central castle.
3. Speak to the global mission receptionist on the right and let her know you want to participate in the global mission.
4. Remember to return before the mission ends to sync your game to add to the global count! Once you are participating in the global mission, talk to the receptionist to have your progress sent to the server. Also, if you have registered your game to a PGL account, simply connecting to the Internet while in Festival Plaza will cause your game to sync automatically, which will send your progress to the server.
[gallery=6775]

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Failing this one was fine, but can you blame us for the first failure? 100 million was absurd. :|

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Meh, I never make used of that online feature other than trading. The game sync is such a pain in the ass (fail on me most of the time).

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
WELL DUH, Game Freak

Island Scanning is a good fun feature,
BUT
*First and foremost, barely anyone goes to the Festival Plaza. Also Island Scanning was never prominently featured ingame.
1. It's hassle in the long run. 10 QR scans for each attempt. I'm not going to sit my ass in front of a PC taking pictures of QR codes all day. Heck, it's even worst for the casual players who just want to play.
2. The selection of Pokemon is too limited. A Total of 28 Pokemons is on the list, and they are only 4 different ones available daily.
3. The effort the search the pokemon after the scan, will get tedious in the long run

The first Event was absurd, this 2nd is because many doesn't even know how to utilize the island scanning. Heck, at first I honestly thought that scanning QR codes will get me that Pokemon. Which isn't wrong but it's not the general use for the feature...

Janaschi

Scion of Delphi
Aug 21, 2012
Why would anyone really go out of their way to catch extra Pokemon to complete a Pokemon event?

With the lack of transient trading, and an extremely limited Wonder Trade that is almost entirely plagued with completely unreasonable trade offers, there is very very very little incentive to waste Pokeballs, and flood the trade channels.

Once this has been amended, which should have been done a long ass time ago since the developers showed a working example of the bank being used to trade prior generations, up, means that the decision was certainly an arbitrary choice, bordering on the asinine.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Too bad you can't turn Pokemon into rare candies or other times, if only to encourage people actually doing stuff like this.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Yeah, understandably - as neat as the Island Scan is it's horribly inefficient to do in such large numbers, since it takes a good while to charge up and you need access to a second DS/computer to even do it in the first place. Throw in how it's a terrible method of shiny/ability/IV farming and there's very little need to do it beyond getting each of the pokemon that can appear.

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
Well that explains why I never even heard of the first one.

The festival thing is such a huge waste of time. I went there about twice in my whole 50 hour play time, and felt like both times were pointless. So I just never bothered with the thing again. I also have never used or even seen the QR code stuff so I don't even understand what that is. Thanks for making that easy, game.

Also, catching 100 million is just absurd. I imagine people breed far more than they catch, since you can actually control what you get somewhat with breeding in terms of IV/EVs or whatever, compared to wasting time and pokeballs catching randoms.

And festival coins are the reward? That's super pointless to most people anyway.

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
These seems like quite amateur mistakes. What Nintendo, not enough money going into metrics?

For a company like Digital Extremes that has half the resources, and a tenth the cash as Nintendo, to consistently pull off these sorts of events that always end in (sometimes very narrow) success, it really goes to show what a colossal screw up is happening over at Game Freak.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Wow, it looks like Game Freak are severely overestimating the number of people who either have the time to do this kind of stuff or even give a shit about their little challenges. Now if they had done the 100 million challenge during launch week and heavily advertised it then I'm sure it would have happened without a problem, but if they really expect more than a very small fraction of the people who bought the game too know and care about such things then they are very mistaken.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I think this is another case of Nintendo doing stuff for Japan and misreading the rest of the world.

Janaschi

Scion of Delphi
Aug 21, 2012
DeadProxy said:
Well that explains why I never even heard of the first one.

The festival thing is such a huge waste of time. I went there about twice in my whole 50 hour play time, and felt like both times were pointless. So I just never bothered with the thing again. I also have never used or even seen the QR code stuff so I don't even understand what that is. Thanks for making that easy, game.

Also, catching 100 million is just absurd. I imagine people breed far more than they catch, since you can actually control what you get somewhat with breeding in terms of IV/EVs or whatever, compared to wasting time and pokeballs catching randoms.

And festival coins are the reward? That's super pointless to most people anyway.
The festival is only really useful, in that, if you get the proper restaurant unlocked, you can level up your Pokemon to level 100 in just a few minutes, if you have the coins.

But I find that pretty lazy and uninteresting, so I basically avoid the festival, too.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010

The only way this could get better is if for a 3rd event they'd ask for people to catch 1000 and it would still fail.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
I'm not surprised. Neither the scanner search thing-a-ma-jig nor the Global Events are really mentioned or displayed in game.