Pokemon Sun and Moon Trailer Introduces the Evolved Forms of the Starter Pokemon

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Pokemon Sun and Moon Trailer Introduces the Evolved Forms of the Starter Pokemon

The evolved forms of Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon's starter Pokemon were revealed in a trailer today.

We got our first look at the starter Pokemon [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167393-Starter-Pokemon-for-Pokemon-Sun-and-Moon#&gid=gallery_6224&pid=1] for upcoming Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon - Rowlet, Litten, and Popplio - in May, when the release date of November 18 (in the US) was announced. In a new trailer posted today, we got our first look at the evolved forms of these Pokemon. More details, from the accompanying press release, can be found below.

Dartrix
Type: Grass-Flying
The Blade Quill Pokemon Dartrix evolves from Rowlet. Dartrix attacks by throwing its knife-edged feathers, and it possesses extremely sharp senses. This Pokemon can detect opponents behind it and can throw feathers to strike them without even seeing them. This Pokemon cares a great deal about its appearance, grooming its feathers in every spare moment it has.

Torracat
Type: Fire
The Fire Cat Pokemon Torracat evolves from Litten. This Pokemon produces flames for its attacks from a bell-like sac attached at the base of its throat. Torracat has a great love for battle and will attack relentlessly. Its mane can sense what is going on around it, even in the dark, and is able to detect the presence of hidden enemies.

Brionne
Type: Water
The Pop Star Pokemon Brionne evolves from Popplio. Brionne can dance in perfect time with others and is always cheery and positive. A very hard worker, Brionne learns dances by imitating other members of its colony and can sometimes even learn dances from humans. As this Pokemon dances, it creates balloons and slaps them into its target, making them explode and deal damage to its opponents.
Also announced was a "Special Demo Version" of the games, which will be available to download from the Nintendo eShop and the official Nintendo website on October 18. This also grants access to Pokemon Ash-Greninja, which will be transferable from the Demo Version to the full version when the game launches.

[gallery=6544]

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Oh god, Drawfee was kind of right about Rowlett!

Also Ash-Greninja? Really? Ugh.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
Saelune said:

So how do you rank these starter Pokemon compared to Last Generations?
Will have to see their final forms before I can say fully.

I love Fennekin all the way through. Chespin has a terrible middle evolution but Chestnaught is...ok. Froaki, or rather Greninja, is overrated garbage.

As for this gen, I hope Rowlett comes out ok, cause I love owls. Litten looks off, but has potential. Popplio is just the continued trend of awful water starters. Squirtle really tricked me into thinking Id favor water down the line. Maybe Popplio will do the opposite, and have a terrible start but a great end, since most water starters are super cute at first but their final forms being just gross.

Overall I am pretty cynical this gen. Im just hoping all the pokemon they dont show will actually be great, cause every gen has bad pokemon, and my favorite gen is 5, which has Trubbish, the worst pokemon ever.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Saelune said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Saelune said:

I love Fennekin all the way through. Chespin has a terrible middle evolution but Chestnaught is...ok. Froaki, or rather Greninja, is overrated garbage.

As for this gen, I hope Rowlett comes out ok, cause I love owls. Litten looks off, but has potential. Popplio is just the continued trend of awful water starters. Squirtle really tricked me into thinking Id favor water down the line. Maybe Popplio will do the opposite, and have a terrible start but a great end, since most water starters are super cute at first but their final forms being just gross.

Overall I am pretty cynical this gen. Im just hoping all the pokemon they dont show will actually be great, cause every gen has bad pokemon, and my favorite gen is 5, which has Trubbish, the worst pokemon ever.
The finally evolutions have already been leaked:

Grass:

Fire:

Water:

And judging from the second evolutions the final ones look consistant, especially the Water one.....and I just know the "Fans" are gonna make "Art" off the Water one's final evolution :[

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
Saelune said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Saelune said:

Grass:

Fire:

Water:

And judging from the second evolutions the final ones look consistant, especially the Water one.....and I just know the "Fans" are gonna make "Art" off the Water one's final evolution :[
Im not as sold those are true based on the second evolutions. They look like such bigger jumps than usual.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
Saelune said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Saelune said:

Grass:

Fire:

Water:

Every generation people post leaks like that and 9 times out of ten their faked. I'll wait until the official reveal to make any judgements.

EDIT: for example here was the last "leak" of the middle evolutions,

PointlessKnowledge

It Can Wait Til Morning
Legacy
Sep 8, 2014
Country
Canada
And I continue to be disappointed by the middle stage of starters. They never look good, imo.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
Saelune said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Saelune said:

Grass:

Fire:

Water:

I'd highly doubt this is official given that:

A. The final evolutions seem improper for the "paths" they are following. I don't think The Pokemon Company would allow such inconsistency in that design; think about it, does Owl->Professor->Ranger, Kitten->Cat->Wrestler (with fire emanating from crotch/"belt"), and Clown->Ballet Dancer->Mermaid really make sense in terms of progression?

B. The final evolutions are humanized for no real good reason, especially for the fire cat evolution.

Even if what you found ends up being official, what you might have found is concept art drawn up before the demeanor and paths the starter pokemon was set in stone.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
bell-like sac
Congrats, you made a testicle Pokemon who cums fire from his mouth.

But it looks fine otherwise, if you ignore...that. Digging the Oscar Wilde owl as well.
PointlessKnowledge said:
And I continue to be disappointed by the middle stage of starters. They never look good, imo.
Really? I dig Ivysaur more than Venusaur. Mostly they're just sort of underwhelming.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Rowlet is still the best starter, even if his mid-evo looks like he HM01's itself when nobody's around.

Litten is steadily becoming more atrocious. It's beginning to have those stubby fat fingers like the leaked evo has. Enjoy your bipedal furbait, because that's new for the Fire starters. I doubt it's going to be fire-fighting though. Maybe Dark.

And Popplio?... Jesus... I hope they change the gender balance so you don't have like an 87.5% of getting a male one of those.

PointlessKnowledge

It Can Wait Til Morning
Legacy
Sep 8, 2014
Country
Canada
Cowabungaa said:
Really? I dig Ivysaur more than Venusaur. Mostly they're just sort of underwhelming.
Ivysaur is the best out of the lot, but being the best out of a pile of underwhelming disappointment is not that great.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Kibeth41 said:
Saelune said:
Im not as sold those are true based on the second evolutions. They look like such bigger jumps than usual.
They're really not, though. The designs are pretty close, and it speaks volumes that the 2nd stage announcement brought the evolutions so much closer to the leaked designs.

It's not just a coincidence that Dartrix's description moves it to the archer design of the 3rd evolution, and that both Torracat and its evolution emit flames from their collars/belts.

You also need to take the leak for what it's actually leaking. Concept work, and it's not really very polished concept work at that. It's a probability that the final forms won't be EXACT to the leak, but they'll probably be close. It's now evident that the leaks are at least legitimate.
They seemingly triple in size and have little real link to eachother. If Rowlet's second form was to become an archer, why doesnt it have a small hood or some sort of ranged weapon type thing?

If Litten was going to become humanoid/bipedal, it should show in its second form by maybe standing hunched or something. Plus I think the fire/dark is more likely, and that final form is Machoke as a fire-cat.

Popplio was an obvious thing, so it made an obvious potential fake. I still think a mermaid is its likely end result, but doesnt mean that "leak" is the way it will be.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Dr.Awkward said:
I'd highly doubt this is official given that:

A. The final evolutions seem improper for the "paths" they are following. I don't think The Pokemon Company would allow such inconsistency in that design; think about it, does Owl->Professor->Ranger, Kitten->Cat->Wrestler (with fire emanating from crotch/"belt"), and Clown->Ballet Dancer->Mermaid really make sense in terms of progression?

B. The final evolutions are humanized for no real good reason, especially for the fire cat evolution.

Even if what you found ends up being official, what you might have found is concept art drawn up before the demeanor and paths the starter pokemon was set in stone.
If you read the Pokedex well the serebii dex on them (no idea where they get the source from? The Official site) there could be a connection bewtween the official second form and the fake/ legit final form

Datrix
This Pok?mon conceals sharp-bladed feathers inside its wings, showing astounding precision as it sends them flying in attack. And it goes beyond propelling its blade quills in simple straight lines?it can even bend these feathers to change their trajectories!
That could match the archer/ Robin Hood final apperances.

Torracat
Torracat has a great love for battle and will attack so relentlessly that its opponents lose the will to fight.
A wrestler fight and they too don't like to lose.

Brionne
Brionne learns its dances by imitating the other members of its colony. It sometimes even learns dances from humans. This Pok?mon is a hard worker and pours itself into its efforts until it has memorized each dance.
Well ok it's no brainer that singing can be related to dancing at times. No I don't mean the person singing and dancing at the same thing, I mean two activity in the same room!

Saelune said:
They seemingly triple in size and have little real link to eachother. If Rowlet's second form was to become an archer, why doesnt it have a small hood or some sort of ranged weapon type thing?

If Litten was going to become humanoid/bipedal, it should show in its second form by maybe standing hunched or something. Plus I think the fire/dark is more likely, and that final form is Machoke as a fire-cat.

Popplio was an obvious thing, so it made an obvious potential fake. I still think a mermaid is its likely end result, but doesnt mean that "leak" is the way it will be.
What about the Pokemon evolution that evolved completely different like Dragonair and Dragonite? If we're talking about the starter only, how about how Snivy become a snake at the end despite starting with legs? Even with Treecko, second form had those leaf life feather under its arm implying wings and its final forms become blades but got that spiky tail?

OT- I liked their secondary forms and it look better compared to the last gen. I looking at you Chespin!

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Kibeth41 said:
Saelune said:

Actually, as a correction. Dartrix is more of a knife juggler... And It does have a ranged weapon.

Dartrix is extremely sensitive to other presences in the area and can detect opponents behind it and throw feathers to strike them without even seeing them. This Pok?mon conceals sharp-bladed feathers inside its wings, showing astounding precision as it sends them flying in attack. And it goes beyond propelling its blade quills in simple straight lines?it can even bend these feathers to change their trajectories!
And just because you think a Pokemon should follow evolutionary rules, does not mean that they're official rules to evolution chains.

Snivy, Cyndaquil and Oshawott all break your rules about legs.

Snivy, 2 legs > 2 legs > 0 legs.
Cyndaquil, 4 legs > 4 legs > 2 legs.
Oshawott, 2 legs > 2 legs > 4 legs.

And the size increases are no more than Quilladin to Chesnaught, or Wartortle to Blastoise.

Either way, no point debating it. We'll see the final evolutions within a couple of months.

EDIT: Oh, and Poppilio's final form will more than likely be a gymnast/acrobat.
Except looking at the past starters, literally everyone followed more logical evolutions. And those exceptions show them moving towards their legs changing. Snivy becomes more snake-like, Cyndaquil relies on his back legs more, and Oshawott is getting weighed down by armor in their second forms.

Scarim Coral said:
What about the Pokemon evolution that evolved completely different like Dragonair and Dragonite? If we're talking about the starter only, how about how Snivy become a snake at the end despite starting with legs? Even with Treecko, second form had those leaf life feather under its arm implying wings and its final forms become blades but got that spiky tail?

OT- I liked their secondary forms and it look better compared to the last gen. I looking at you Chespin!
Again, changing legs doesnt invalidate the rule when it shows why the legs changed. Snivy becomes a snake, thats why it loses its legs, and is left with basically vestigial arms. I think those Pokemon actually prove my point rather than defy it.

Dragonite could have been a better third though.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
PointlessKnowledge said:
Cowabungaa said:
Ivysaur is the best out of the lot, but being the best out of a pile of underwhelming disappointment is not that great.
Grovyle is pretty cool, not as cool as Sceptile, but still decent.

Monferno is also another good mid starter evo as well as Dewott and Quilava is a pretty nifty design as well.