Pokemon Sun and Moon's Final Starter Evolutions Revealed

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Pokemon Sun and Moon's Final Starter Evolutions Revealed

Eight new Pokemon have been revealed for upcoming Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon, including the final evolutions of the games' starter Pokemon.

The Pokemon Company has released a new trailer for upcoming 3DS titles Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon, introducing a number of new Pokemon, including the final evolutions for the three starter Pokemon Rowlet, Litten, and Popplio.

Decidueye, the final evolution of Rowlet, is a Grass/Ghost type, Incineroar, the final evolution of Litten, is a Fire/Dark type, and Primarina, the final evolution of Popplio, is a Water/Fairy type. You can check out more details on these three, per the official press release, below.

Decidueye
Type: Grass/Ghost
The Arrow Quill Pokemon Decidueye is the fully evolved form of the Grass- and Flying-type first-partner Pokemon Rowlet. Decidueye attacks with astonishing speed, plucking arrow quills from its wings to send them hurtling towards its target with precise aim. This Pokemon is able to move about whilst completely masking its presence from others. Decidueye is the only Pokemon that can learn the move Spirit Shackle. This new Ghost-type move hits an opponent and makes it unable to leave the battle-it can't flee or switch out.

Incineroar
Type: Fire/Dark
The Heel Pokemon Incineroar is the fully evolved form of the Fire-type first-partner Pokemon Litten. As Incineroar's fighting spirit increases, the flames it produces within its body burst from its navel and waistline. These flames resemble a championship belt, which it uses to unleash its moves. Incineroar is the only Pokemon able to learn the move Darkest Lariat. This new Dark-type physical attack allows Incineroar to deal damage to an enemy whilst ignoring the effects of any stat changes on that enemy.

Primarina
Type: Water/Fairy
The Soloist Pokemon Primarina is the fully evolved form of the Water-type first-partner Pokemon Popplio. As Primarina dances, it releases balloons of water and controls their movement using the sound waves from its voice. Primarina uses some of these balloons to jump on and maneuver in battle whilst others explode when touched, which can trigger chained explosions. Primarina is the only Pokemon that can learn Sparkling Aria, a new Water-type special move which heals the burns of any target it strikes.
In addition, the three remaining guardian deities were revealed, along with a new psychic Pokemon and an Alolan variant of Persian. You can check out the details on these five additions, also per the press release, below:

Cosmog
Type: Psychic
The Nebula Pokemon Cosmog is extremely rare, known only to a select few across Alola. Named by the Aether Foundation, Cosmog is very curious, and its gaseous body is so lightweight that it's sent flying when the wind blows. When light falls on the Pokemon, Cosmog can absorb it and grow bigger.

Alolan Persian
Type: Dark
Alolan Persian is highly intelligent and doesn't like to grow attached to its Trainer, making it something of a difficult Pokemon to have as a battle partner. The round face of Alolan Persian is a symbol of the rich Alola region, and it is held to be a Pokemon of great beauty. Its exquisite coat shines with the glow of high quality and enchants both humans and Pokemon. For this reason, it is a very popular Pokemon in the Alola region.

Guardian Deities:

Tapu Lele
Type: Psychic/Fairy
Tapu Lele is the guardian deity of Akala island. This Pokemon scatters glowing scales that have physical effects on others-providing stimulation to their bodies and healing their illnesses or injuries. Tapu Lele has the Ability Psychic Surge, an Ability that no other Pokemon has previously had. With Psychic Surge, the field will be turned into Psychic Terrain, which boosts the power of any Psychic-type moves used by Pokemon on the ground and prevents them from being hit by priority moves.

Tapu Bulu
Type: Grass/Fairy
Tapu Bulu is the guardian deity of Ula'ula Island. This Pokemon has the power to manipulate vegetation and cause it to grow. It can use this power to make its wooden horns change shape and grow larger. Tapu Bulu has the Ability Grassy Surge, an Ability that no other Pokemon has previously had. With Grassy Surge, the field will be turned into Grassy Terrain, boosting the power of any Grass-type moves used by Pokemon on the ground and restoring a bit of HP to them each turn. It also halves the damage taken from the moves Earthquake, Magnitude and Bulldoze.

Tapu Fini
Type: Water/Fairy
Tapu Fini is the guardian deity of Poni Island. This Pokemon is able to attack by manipulating water. It does not like to risk being harmed during battle, so it creates a thick fog to disorient its opponents and lead them to their own destruction. Tapu Fini has the Ability Misty Surge, an Ability that no other Pokemon has previously had. With Misty Surge, the field will be turned into Misty Terrain, halving the damage taken by Pokemon on the ground from Dragon-type moves and preventing them from being afflicted with status conditions or confusion.
[gallery=6591]

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Rowlet being Grass/Ghost instead of Grass/Flying caught me by surprise, but the other 2 are what I expected.

As for the others... Wow, I think I said it before, but they are really going out of their way to try and give every (non-Alola-Form) Pokemon some sort unique move/ability aren't they?

PointlessKnowledge

It Can Wait Til Morning
Legacy
Sep 8, 2014
Country
Canada
Go glad Incineroar is not fire/fighting. Never want to see a starter with that combination ever again. And I'm surprised Rowlet becoming a ghost.

And no one is surprised by the water starter.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
AHAHAHAHAHA! SUCK IT!!!
OH ARE YOU GOING TO CRY NOW THAT IT DIDN'T MAKE SENSE FOR A STYLIST OWL TO BECOME AN ARCHER OR A DANCER SEAL TO BECOME A SINGER SIREN AND THE TAKE ON YET ANOTHER BIPEL ANTHRO???
ALL THIS TIME SINCE THE LEAK THE REAL FORMS WERE STARING RIGHT AT YOU!!!

OT- The Grass ghost typing was a surpised and I glad we don't have another fire fighting despite how much of a fighter it look like!

Still I am abit torn at who to picked, the owl or the seal. I guess I go with the seal if it's female. Shame that rumour about having two different gender for the final forms were false.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Why is Pokemon Trainer Red so hunky? No seriously, Pokemon Trainer Red looks like he could be a freaking Power Ranger. What the Hell happened?! He's still using his iconic Pikachu sure but he seems to have beefed up a lot. Maybe Pikachu will finally be a level 100 fight...

As for the starters it's cool that Incineroar isn't a fighting type but it might as well be. As for Primarena, the water/fairy typing might be diminished somewhat by the fact that Tapu Fini is also a water/fairy...and the Marill line are water/fairies. I'm going to wind up getting all 3 starters because I cheese the games before I start actually playing but I still see myself using Rowlet as my main...Grass/Ghost seems to be unique after all.

linkblade91

Dec 2, 2009
Well, Decidueye stuck the landing and delivered. This go-around I am firmly on the side of Team Grass.

I will say, though, that they were gipped with the Ghost typing. Fairy beats Dark, which beats Ghost, which...is totally neutral to Fairy :/

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
If you're wondering why it's a ghost type this may explain it.

OT: God dammit It's a month wait for this game, It's going to be a very long month for me.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Man, everyone is gonna be super excited the fire guy isn't Fire/Fighting. I'm not opposed to the typing, but Fire/Dark is a nice go since the last time we got that combo was fuckin' Gold and Silver. Houndoom is great and all, but there's only so many times you can use it before you want something else that gets STAB on Flamethrower and Dark Pulse.

Shoggoth2588 said:
Why is Pokemon Trainer Red so hunky? No seriously, Pokemon Trainer Red looks like he could be a freaking Power Ranger. What the Hell happened?! He's still using his iconic Pikachu sure but he seems to have beefed up a lot. Maybe Pikachu will finally be a level 100 fight...

As for the starters it's cool that Incineroar isn't a fighting type but it might as well be. As for Primarena, the water/fairy typing might be diminished somewhat by the fact that Tapu Fini is also a water/fairy...and the Marill line are water/fairies. I'm going to wind up getting all 3 starters because I cheese the games before I start actually playing but I still see myself using Rowlet as my main...Grass/Ghost seems to be unique after all.
Well, he did spend a lot of time up Mount. Silver. Great way to get ripped, climbing that shit.

And as for typing, There's also the Pumpkaboo and Trevenant lines that are Grass/Ghost, so I wouldn't really worry about Primarena's typing being diminished since odds are it'll do a different job to Tapu Fini and Azumarill anyway (I'm guessing it's gonna be the special sweeper designed to fuck up Guts teams, while Tapu Fini is more defensive given it's ability).

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
American Fox said:
Fuckin...

Why are they stupid anthropomorphic things?
Because they're more interested in making characters for the kids show anime than actual animals. Even first gen suffered from some of that, but it's gotten more and more ridiculous from there...

Sigh... Second form is so promising for litten too. I really didn't want to believe the leaks...

Well, at least there's always Eviolite...

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Dang it. I've been on the Popplio train since the first reveal but now I have to decide between Heel Wrestle Kitty and Furry 34 bait. Hmm.

On an related note, what's a better name for Wrestle Kitty? Unpurrtaker or Mick Foline?

Rad Dudesman

Feb 5, 2015
RejjeN said:
American Fox said:
Fuckin...

Why are they stupid anthropomorphic things?
Because they're more interested in making characters for the kids show anime than actual animals. Even first gen suffered from some of that, but it's gotten more and more ridiculous from there...

Sigh... Second form is so promising for litten too. I really didn't want to believe the leaks...

Well, at least there's always Eviolite...
Pokemon have never been "actual animals". They're monsters, hence the name of the series being Pocket Monsters. If they were meant to be animals, it'd be called Pocket Animals.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Decidueye (that's a mouthful) is based on the stilt owl, a group of owl species that used to exist in Hawaii, but are now all extinct.

Hence the typing. (and the long legs)