Pokemon X and Y's Charizard Has Two Mega Evolutions

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Pokemon X and Y's Charizard Has Two Mega Evolutions

<youtube=2WFoT9oGtfc>​
Charizard becomes part-dragon as a Pokemon X exclusive.

Mewtwo isn't the only one with mega evolutions exclusive to each version of Pokemon X and Y. Today the Pokemon Company revealed that the original evolved fire starter has more than just the one mega evolution we've seen so far [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127487-Pokemon-X-and-Y-Gives-Mega-Evolutions-to-Original-Starters]. In Pokemon X, Charizard can evolve into Mega Charizard X. Instead of its fire/flying-type version in Pokemon Y, Mega Charizard X changes type to fire/dragon and its appearance becomes black and blue. Mega evolutions only occur in-battle, so the difference between the two different Mega Charizard will not be in effect at all times.

The Pokemon Company disclosed the news on its website and in a YouTube video that depicted a sky battle. Flying Pokemon and those with the ability "levitate" can fight in the air. It appears that certain other Pokemon can participate as well, as in the case of part-dragon-type Mega Charizard X, maybe because it can learn the move "fly." Or maybe it's because Charizard is part-flying and will enter the sky battle before it can mega evolve.

Mega Charizard X gains the ability "tough claws," which raises the power of direct contact moves, and its attack increases significantly - as opposed to Mega Charizard Y's increased special attack and fire-type moves.

Likely, we will see different mega evolutions for both Blastoise and Venosaur. Hopefully something new will come out for those of us who decided to go with Pokemon Y.

Source: YouTube [http://www.pokemonxy.com/en-us/pokemon/mega_pokemon/]

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I understand that's supposed to be blue flames coming out of the sides of his mouth.......but really it looks like a big weird mouth-moustache. o.o

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Holy crap, the Escapist has an article on a new Pokemon revelation the same day the news is released? WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT DID YOU DO TO THE ESCAPIST?!

Also, I am disappoint that the new Mega evolution is X exclusive. T_T

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
And it looks boss as shit.

Thank goodness I'm getting X, because that is looking more and more like the cooler of the two versions.

Also congrats on the Escapist actually being on the ball with Pokemon news updates.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I'm going fanboy mode over this crap.

Reminds me of the old fake starter evolutions people used to lie their asses off about in the original games. Back when the internet when was not quite as... developed.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
soren7550 said:
Welp that killed the hype I had for it. I'm getting Y, and don't feel like getting both versions. T^T
Mainly I choose my versions depending on the legendary exclusive and other things, and I like Y's main legendary, and Mega Mewtwo's form better in Y.

Alluos

Nov 7, 2010
It's like... why would anyone get Y version anymore? >.>
Also I'd like to see more variety in these different mega evolutions, rather than just a special/regular attack split.

I hear these items aren't tradable, so that's kind of... annoying...

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
Alluos said:
Also I'd like to see more variety in these different mega evolutions, rather than just a special/regular attack split.

Because Xerneas looks pretty awful. Plus it's a fairy type. Yveltal is actually one of the better legendary designs I've seen. I just hope Y gets a more awesome form of Venusaur or something, since Venusaur is my favorite 1st gen starter.

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
Looks pretty cool; X and Y are looking to be pretty solid games! By the way the thumbnail on the main page is wrong - shows the Phoenix Wright picture.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
RJ 17 said:
I understand that's supposed to be blue flames coming out of the sides of his mouth.......but really it looks like a big weird mouth-moustache. o.o
It's the static textures. It didn't look anywhere near as bad in the anime where they could animate the fire properly

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Alluos said:

Because I prefer my legendarys flying and also Mega Charizard Y looks much better IMHO.

Also if this is starting a trend of Mega evolutions for both games and it follows the current formula (first Megas are Y, seconds are X) then I still prefer Mega Blastoise (Y?)

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
soren7550 said:
Holy crap, the Escapist has an article on a new Pokemon revelation the same day the news is released? WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT DID YOU DO TO THE ESCAPIST?!

Actually, not quite. Charizard's mega evolution was technically revealed in yesterday's finale of Pokemon Origins. The Escapist's long running tradition of being behind the rest of the net for Pokemon news stands!

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
Neronium said:
soren7550 said:
Welp that killed the hype I had for it. I'm getting Y, and don't feel like getting both versions. T^T
Mainly I choose my versions depending on the legendary exclusive and other things, and I like Y's main legendary, and Mega Mewtwo's form better in Y.
Dunno, I'm on the fence now.

I also have no inclination to buy both (why get ANOTHER pokemon game for a handful of evolutions?), but while Yveltal is definitely the cooler of the two cover legendaries, an X player could trade for it, and still keep the version-exclusive mega-evolutions.

10 days left..

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
X VERSION KEEPS GETTING BETTER AND BETTER BABY.

This is the moment Charizard fans have been waiting since Generation 1. They have heard our prayers, my fellows... and they have answered us =D

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Not much of a pokemon player (only played blue and a smidgen of leaf green, I think) but I'm not overly happy about these new evolutions. I mean charizard is the 6th (or is it 9th? can't remember who comes first charmander or squirtle) and it takes over a decade to figure out he can temporarily evolve again?

Not only that but charizard is the most dragon looking pokemon that I know of... Dragonite looks like a fat genie dinosaur and evolves from 2 eels! The charmander evolutions look much more like dragons and only now one of them temporarily gets the dragon monicre.

Lastly, I've only seen mewtwo and charizard but they look bad, I know that is just a subjective thing but I'm a firm 151 guy and I find the originals are all varied and just nice... But from what I've seen of the other 6 or 7 hundred pokemon they're lacking, with the occasional good one and all the legendary ones look good.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I hate the idea that charizard is a dragon now (mostly cause to me, it reminds me of the gen 1 people who hate new games and the pokemon in them but feel its some great injustice charizard cant be a dragon and they're some of the whiniest little shits to listen to) for the reason stated, and cause now it feels game breaking. You're increasing his attack with his ability, boosting his attack stat, giving it belly drum, and it has outrage. its only weakness is x2 to rock and dragon (after change). It just seems like it should have its defense in nerfed heavily. and I know, its starts fire flying so stealth rocks, but still thats hardly a difficult fix, and in game all you ned to do is carry a few full restores.

I dont know, i guess it just feels like it removes even more challenge from the pokemon games and if you hit an NPC with this you're more or less fucked to hell.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
omega 616 said:
Not much of a pokemon player (only played blue and a smidgen of leaf green, I think) but I'm not overly happy about these new evolutions. I mean charizard is the 6th (or is it 9th? can't remember who comes first charmander or squirtle) and it takes over a decade to figure out he can temporarily evolve again?

Not only that but charizard is the most dragon looking pokemon that I know of... Dragonite looks like a fat genie dinosaur and evolves from 2 eels! The charmander evolutions look much more like dragons and only now one of them temporarily gets the dragon monicre.

Lastly, I've only seen mewtwo and charizard but they look bad, I know that is just a subjective thing but I'm a firm 151 guy and I find the originals are all varied and just nice... But from what I've seen of the other 6 or 7 hundred pokemon they're lacking, with the occasional good one and all the legendary ones look good.
I don't really get this complaint. Are you upset that they didn't introduce mega evolution earlier in the series or something?

Charizard wasn't dragon type in the first generation since it would have made it too OP as a stater.

This mentality always bugs me. I understand that you just don't like the new pokemon but I think it's silly to say that the first 151 were perfect and that the quality just drops right after that. I have absolutely no way to prove this but I bet that if Mega mewtwo x or Mega Charizard X were in the original games then you'd like them.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
emeraldrafael said:
I hate the idea that charizard is a dragon now (mostly cause to me, it reminds me of the gen 1 people who hate new games and the pokemon in them but feel its some great injustice charizard cant be a dragon and they're some of the whiniest little shits to listen to) for the reason stated, and cause now it feels game breaking. You're increasing his attack with his ability, boosting his attack stat, giving it belly drum, and it has outrage. its only weakness is x2 to rock and dragon (after change). It just seems like it should have its defense in nerfed heavily. and I know, its starts fire flying so stealth rocks, but still thats hardly a difficult fix, and in game all you ned to do is carry a few full restores.

I dont know, i guess it just feels like it removes even more challenge from the pokemon games and if you hit an NPC with this you're more or less fucked to hell.
It's not like it's invincible or anything. Heck there's still the fairy type to counter it and charizard doesn't have stellar defenses in the first place.