Pokemon X and Y's Charizard Has Two Mega Evolutions

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Good thing I'm getting X then althought I'm fine with either version of Charizard.

I wonder what is Blastoise and Venusuar other versions look like?

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
werewolfsfury said:
No, it just doesn't make sense. Pokemon is up to generation 7?8? Ash must be about 30 by now and only now they realize "hey, X amount of pokemon can evolve again but only for a short time. I just think you should leave past gens alone with this stuff, maybe explain it by the next gen have been exposed to radiation or experimented on... Then again you might use the same explanations with previous gens.

Then don't make him a starter, drop his place from the first 9 to higher up the charts.

I don't think the originals are perfect, for example they use the old "let's use real animals as pokemon" thing, ekans, arbok, pigeot evolutions, spearow, fearow etc, just smacks of super lazy.

I think 151 pokemon is a good fucking number, that is at the very least 150 episodes and the mew movie. I feel the only reason they have released more and more pokemon is to justify releasing more games aka milk the brand (like only Nintendo can). They even release two versions of the games and split the pokemon up, why not just stick all of them on one? Make more cash is my guess. Which is why I've only really played one 'cos that pisses me off.

Ravage

Aug 24, 2013
Dragonbums said:
And it looks boss as shit.

Thank goodness I'm getting X, because that is looking more and more like the cooler of the two versions.

Also congrats on the Escapist actually being on the ball with Pokemon news updates.
Help me out here, I can't decide between X or Y, so what is it about X that you prefer over the other, other than Mega Charizard X, and Y? (pun intended)

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Ravage said:
Dragonbums said:
And it looks boss as shit.

Thank goodness I'm getting X, because that is looking more and more like the cooler of the two versions.

Also congrats on the Escapist actually being on the ball with Pokemon news updates.
Help me out here, I can't decide between X or Y, so what is it about X that you prefer over the other, other than Mega Charizard X, and Y? (pun intended)
Oddly enough the Xerneas really got to me. That and and the background of the cover is really nice. As a bonus it's also a Fairy type Pokemon.

Now it has Mega Charizard X. Which makes it even more badass.

I mean, usually I go with Red things and Dark type anything, but something about Yveltal's design isn't working for me.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
omega 616 said:
werewolfsfury said:
No, it just doesn't make sense. Pokemon is up to generation 7?8? Ash must be about 30 by now and only now they realize "hey, X amount of pokemon can evolve again but only for a short time. I just think you should leave past gens alone with this stuff, maybe explain it by the next gen have been exposed to radiation or experimented on... Then again you might use the same explanations with previous gens.

Then don't make him a starter, drop his place from the first 9 to higher up the charts.

I don't think the originals are perfect, for example they use the old "let's use real animals as pokemon" thing, ekans, arbok, pigeot evolutions, spearow, fearow etc, just smacks of super lazy.

I think 151 pokemon is a good fucking number, that is at the very least 150 episodes and the mew movie. I feel the only reason they have released more and more pokemon is to justify releasing more games aka milk the brand (like only Nintendo can). They even release two versions of the games and split the pokemon up, why not just stick all of them on one? Make more cash is my guess. Which is why I've only really played one 'cos that pisses me off.
Pokemon is by virtue a metagame strategy game.

If they stuck it to the original 151 the series would of died out. Same teams, same strategies, same ways to beat them. No fun there.
Now you have all types of teams with all types of Pokemon, and numerous combination of offensive/defensive ways to battle. It shakes things up and makes it a lot more fun.

You may think 151 is a good amount, but a lot of people, me included are always excited to see what new monsters they come up with, and what new ways we can utilize them in battle.

Also, Family Guy has been going on for years now and nobody questions the fact that the family has literally stayed the exact same way since it's inception.

These games come out once every 3-5 years. In fact, CoD is on a fast track to beating Pokemon in the number of installments it has and they aren't even the same age group.

Raine_sage

Sep 13, 2011
Jesus another megaevolution? I was hoping mewtwo would be the only one to get that treatment, it made sense for a legendary to get more attention.

But I do like Megazard's design, I might have to get X after all. Pretty much the only design for Y I liked was spritzee and the latest evolution reveal for it has me lukewarm. Hopefully its got a third stage.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I'm not sure I like this, yes, Fire/Dragon typing is probably my favorite typing imaginable, but I already have a special Pokemon for that. Plus, this feels a little to much like they are spoiling Charizard just because they can. It's funny coming from me considering Charizard is one of my favorites, but it seems so pointless and fan service-y.

One mega form was enough, two seems almost unfair to other Pokemon who may not even get a Megalution to begin with. On the other hand I will probably get X now, because of my love of the Dragon/Fire typing.

EDIT: Anyone else find it a bit funny it's a fire/dragon type, but it has Zekrom's black with blue tips coloration? No? Just me? Cool.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
meh

cool as that is, its not enough to make want the version with the lame ass deer.

>.> unless you can trade the mega stones over ....

DaVash

Oct 18, 2008
About time they made Charizard a dragon/fire type even if it just happens to be a mega Evolution

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Awesome :D I was planning on getting X anyway! The blue fire would look insanely awesome if it didn't look so much like a moustache but in general I'm a fan of the new design and especially that it's finally part-Dragon! XD

Most definitely picking Charmander as my 1st gen starter!!

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
werewolfsfury said:
emeraldrafael said:
I hate the idea that charizard is a dragon now (mostly cause to me, it reminds me of the gen 1 people who hate new games and the pokemon in them but feel its some great injustice charizard cant be a dragon and they're some of the whiniest little shits to listen to) for the reason stated, and cause now it feels game breaking. You're increasing his attack with his ability, boosting his attack stat, giving it belly drum, and it has outrage. its only weakness is x2 to rock and dragon (after change). It just seems like it should have its defense in nerfed heavily. and I know, its starts fire flying so stealth rocks, but still thats hardly a difficult fix, and in game all you ned to do is carry a few full restores.

I dont know, i guess it just feels like it removes even more challenge from the pokemon games and if you hit an NPC with this you're more or less fucked to hell.
It's not like it's invincible or anything. Heck there's still the fairy type to counter it and charizard doesn't have stellar defenses in the first place.
even still, fairy is only doing x1 and if thats the case you can substitute flare blitz for outrage and get the esame effect. I just think its too much. I know its a mega evolution, but it feels like too much. Its starting to feel like how alakazam did in the original games.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
omega 616 said:
werewolfsfury said:

Pokemon is up to gen 6 now and you have got to remember that Ash is a cartoon and not a real person. And they shouldn't just leave the past gens alone since that would leave them as weak and under powered compared to the newer gens. And they are going to explain what mega evolution is when the games come out.

They can't. The game was released years ago and it would be absolutely pointless to change it's number.

And yes 151 is a nice number but why just stop there? there are thousands more animals to make pokemon out of and hundreds more brilliant designs and ideas to flesh out the world.
They released more and more pokemon because people wanted more and more pokemon. It's a win win situation.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
STOP MAKING ME REGRET MY DECISION TO STOP

Seriously, at this rate there will be a 3DS in my pocket by next year if announcements like this keep coming...

[sub][sub][sub][sub]But I need money for liiiiiife[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Redlin5 said:
STOP MAKING ME REGRET MY DECISION TO STOP

Seriously, at this rate there will be a 3DS in my pocket by next year if announcements like this keep coming...

[sub][sub][sub][sub]But I need money for liiiiiife[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]
good thing they're making that lower priced 2ds eh

that sound is your wallet crying in the corner

Charli

Nov 23, 2008

...NGGNNGHFHGGGHNGH. Never been so sad to have little time for gaming (ironically) at the moment. Look at that beast.
It must be mine.

Oh well. I'll get to listen to all my nerd friends with spare time raving on about X and Y very soon.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Charizard finally gets his Dragon Typing, but only in a game where the legendary is Super Effective against Dragons.