Pokemon you hated but warmed up to?

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
Gen 3 was my fave Gen. Blaziken was just perfect. When I first started Diamond when it came out, I hated Infernape because I just saw him as a cheap knock off of Blaziken. But I had a go at using him in Gen 6, and he was pretty good.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Actually I don't hate him at all, I never hated him but I did not like Greninja as much as Delphox when I first did my X and Y playthrough. After enough though, I honestly love Greninja more.

How can anyone honestly hate that ninja-frog?

EDIT: Upon thinking further I have come to the conclusion that I did not like Serperior a whole lot when I first saw her. I eventually got used to her design and she's really cool.

Treeberry

Nov 27, 2013
A lot of the 'object' pokemon like the ice cream and ghost lantern ones. I thought those two in particular were utterly stupid but they quickly became my favourites in Black (to the point that my starter was permanently relegated to slot three). Especially the ghost one.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I didn't much care for the Froakie line at first, but since I saw what was happening with the Fennekin line after they unveiled its second form, I am glad I chose Froakie since I ended up getting Greninja. Outside of Greninja and Fennekin, I didn't really care for any other gen 6 starters.

I also wasn't too keen on Infernape at first when I played through Platinum for the first time, but I warmed up to it after using it. I am not a big fan of monkeys in real life or as Pokemon, but Infernape and Chimchar are an exception.

Gankytim

May 14, 2014
I find all pokemon hard to like. I refuse to look up guides so every new pokemon I catch feels like a gamble, I don't know if it's gonna be a powerhouse or a dud.

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
This happened twice to me really. Firstly with Kingdra. After fighting Clair's Kingdra I may have had a bit of a grudge against the guy, but when Soul Silver came around it pretty much became one of my main pokemon due to its all-round good stats.

Second is Bronzong. Still not wild about his design and I HATE encountering them in the wild (or worse: on other trainers/players) but he is a perfect way to open a match and disrupt the enemy team. Give it a Red Card to hold and teach it Stealth Rock, Confuse Ray, Trick Room and Toxic and congratulations: you're an asshole.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
Not really. If I don't like a Pokemon then I usually just ignore it.
The only Pokemon I would say that I hate would be Emolga since it always out speed anything I had In Gen 5 and paralyzed my team before I could do anything.

Also has anyone completed the Pokedex yet? I need some help getting the last few legendary pokemon for the shiny charm. I'm only 8 Pokemon away from it.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
Not many. I guess in general I've warmed up to a few Gen 3-5 Pokemon, but nothing too extreme. Not sure if it's a "time heals all" sort of thing as I like most Gen 6 Pokemon in some way.

I used to hate Blaziken though (which is funny, because I chose the fire starter. I went in completely blind back then). That changed when the recent event Torchic I got was adamant and had 30 IVs in attack, which may not be perfect, but holy balls what a roll of the dice. Combusken still sucks though. I remember my adorable little Tweety Bird evolving into...that. I was so disappointed. I guess I expected something that wasn't a kick-boxing fire chicken with a derpy face. Blaziken started the trend of fire/fighting type starters for 3 bloody generations in a row, and I somewhat blamed him on it. But with my current Blaziken (and for the Delphox line existing), I have a new respect. May you continue to hit like a fucking freight train.

Grass types in general I have a new respect for. Back in Gen 1 days of the schoolyard Pokemon communities, grass never had much love. It was always considered to be the wuss type, and I guess it kind of was back then. Not a whole lot were that visually interesting (just...plants), they were weak to many types, and a lot of the guys didn't want to be caught dead with something as "girly" as a walking flower. Bugs had a similar stigma, but at least there was Scyther and Pinsir (and I have a soft spot for Venonat/Venomoth, so I didn't care). It took a long while before I started to get grass types on my team or to view them with any kind of respect, and I'm happy with the grass types over the years since then (starters or otherwise). Roselia/Roserade (my first shiny too), Vileplume, Celebi, Shaymin, Skiddo/Gogoat, Deerling/Sawsbuck, Breloom, Leafeon (didn't like Leafeon at first), and pretty much every grass starter with the exception of Gens 2 and 6.

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
Didn't much care for Mawile at first. In sprite form I just didn't get the logistics of it. Then when I saw the 3D model, it grew on me. Finally, when it got the pretty cool looking mega evolution, I was sold.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Well, I still don't like Greninja. His design is just really, really ugly to me. So maybe he'll grow on me later?
Otherwise I don't really pay attention to Pokemon I don't like so I haven't had a chance to warm up to any of the yet.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I guess that could be Magmortar for me since I didn't like its apperance.

I made a mistake for picking Totodile in Heartgold since my plan was to transfer my Cyndaquil from Colluisim (since it know dig) but since you can only trade based on the Pokemon you have seen, it mean the rival Pokemon had Chikorita. Magmortar became my alternative fire Pokemon (I traded it over to Heartgold) but bog that Pokemon was packing a big whooping!

It's high special defence and attack made it a foce to be recken with!

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Semi-DemiFiend said:
Not really. If I don't like a Pokemon then I usually just ignore it.
The only Pokemon I would say that I hate would be Emolga since it always out speed anything I had In Gen 5 and paralyzed my team before I could do anything.

Also has anyone completed the Pokedex yet? I need some help getting the last few legendary pokemon for the shiny charm. I'm only 8 Pokemon away from it.
I can probably show you them all, PM me when you can so we can exchange info. I can even show you Diancie!

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
Gankytim said:
I find all pokemon hard to like.
Then why the hell do you play pokemon?

It's Honedge-Aegislash for me. Their designs grew on me, and it turns out Aegislash is probably the best/over used pokemon in Gen 6.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
Avalanche91 said:
Give it a Red Card to hold and teach it Stealth Rock, Confuse Ray, Trick Room and Toxic and congratulations: you're an asshole.
What does it do? Being an asshole in Pokemon is right up my alley

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
Sean Hollyman said:
Avalanche91 said:
Give it a Red Card to hold and teach it Stealth Rock, Confuse Ray, Trick Room and Toxic and congratulations: you're an asshole.
A Red Card causes the Pokemon who attacks the holder to be sent back into it's ball. Basically an item based roar.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
Semi-DemiFiend said:
Sean Hollyman said:
Avalanche91 said:
A Red Card causes the Pokemon who attacks the holder to be sent back into it's ball. Basically an item based roar.
Is it a one-use only item though?

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
Sean Hollyman said:
Semi-DemiFiend said:
Sean Hollyman said:
Avalanche91 said:
It would be beyond broken if it wasn't. It seems like it would be useful for setting up entry hazards like Avalanche suggested.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
Semi-DemiFiend said:
Sean Hollyman said:
Semi-DemiFiend said:
Sean Hollyman said:
Avalanche91 said:
It would be beyond broken if it wasn't. It seems like it would be useful for setting up entry hazards like Avalanche suggested.
Sounds good. I'll raise a Bronzong after Nidoking!