Pokeymanz nicknames! I must know them!

Dec 14, 2009
Okay, so, every man and his dog has bought the new pokerchipmanz.

Now, while some people may have similar team, there's one thing that makes you're pokerfacemonz unique to you!

[HEADING=1]NICKNAMES![/HEADING]

Silly, serious, pretentious, whatever! Your polkadotmunz love it! So time to share them, and if you're feeling extra talkative, say where the nickname comes from or what it means!

I'll go first.

Froakie (male) - Ribbit. Simple explanation for this one, I like the word ribbit, and it happens to be the noise a frog makes.

Pikachu (female) - Peeka. Because every electric themed name I could think of sounded hella lame or done to death XD

Bulbasaur (male) - Sprout. I like this one because it has two meanings. One, Sprout is probably the best name for a plant, ever, and two, Sprout is also the name of a young character in an RP I'm currently in.

Honedge (female) - Tobi. An Okami reference here. Tobi was a possessed prayer slip in the game who raced Ammy on Oni Island, he was a scholar and a gentleman. Since Honedge is a ghost that also possesses an item, it seemed like the perfect nickname.

Sylveon (Female) - Pixie. Another double meaning. A fairy can also be known as a pixie, and Pixie is also the name of a character from the same RP as Sprout.

Hawlucha (male) - El Fuerte. Spanish for 'the strong' and also the name of a luchador from Street Fighter 4.

Your turn!

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Charizard: Odahviing. Because the red dragon from Skyrim is such a bro.
Raichu: lil Thor.
Lucario: Rio. Simple abbreviation.
Lapras: Loch. Lapras is based off the Loch Ness Monster after all.
Tyranitar: Deano, for a friend named Dean. And it's a dinosaur. It is female, though, which just makes it funny.
Salamence: Drago for Caliban Butcher, due to his intense resemblance of Ivan Drago.

Outside of my main team, I've named Gible Gabby, and taking a leaf from Fappy's book, I named my Ditto Fernando, for the Manwhore himself.

I also have a Quagsire called #SWAGsire. Because fuck you, that's why.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
I haven't had time to get it yet T^T

So to answer your question, I have one. A slowpoke nicknamed "Fuck College Work" xD

Honestly though I never nickname my Pokemon. Not sure why really.

The only time I've ever done so was in Pokemon White, where I had a Emboar named Yog and a Krookodile named Sothoth.

The reason? I was bored and I thought Emboar and Krookodile were uninteresting names.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Well all I can really remember is Y so let's go with that.

I called my Squirtle (and Subsequently, my Blastoise) Garrus. Cos he's a big blue dude with big ol' guns.
Pika/Raichu was named Sparky. Yeah.
Oh and because everyone needs a nickname for a Hawlucha I called mine Nacho.

The rest are just things I caught and named them things based on personal experiences or opinions.

E.G.-
Watchog-CHEEKS
Skitty-Cutest Thing
Flabebe-Flabby
Weedle-SUPERIOR
Bunnelby-Bugs
Gulpin-KISS ME
Zubat-FRUSTRATION
Inkay-Japan
Luvdisc-Abomination
Staravia-Fake Birdmon
Roggenrola-Montage
Mr. Mime-True Horror
Snorlax-Razael
Lucario-Hanzo Steel
Lapras-Uguu Desu
Tauros-Steak
Trapinch-Snippy
Stunfisk-What
Klefki-Jingle
Beartic-Yogi
Jynx-NO
Vanillite-ScreamForMe
Gabite-StompnChomp
Geodude (female)-Geogal
Durant-DESTINY
Trevenant-Treebeard
If anyone wants an explanation for a name feel free to ask, I'll see if I can remember.

Oh, also, something like 3 years after Pearl came out I decided to play it again and I found a Starly called "SHITTYCOCK" all caps included.
That was weird.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I only nicknamed two pokemon. The first was when I bought my first pokemon game, ruby, and named my mudkip Hotshot. I don't know why, but I decided it was cool and kept it.

The other is Squirtle and I always call him Shellshock even though that is from the Pokemon Movie.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
I will name my main team, and some ones I like because I would have 60 names if I did all of them

Delphox: Vulpa. It's Italain(?) for fox and I like the sound of it.
Venasaur: Stomper. He stomps around and I couldn't think of a better nickname
Lucario: Quicksilver. He is steel type and I like the name so yeah
Clawitzer: Gigaclaw. Just look at that claw and tell me it is not a giga claw
Absol: Jack Ripper. The 'the' didn't fit and its best moves are its slash moves so yeah.
Pangoro: Iron Brew. Because panda>pandaren>pandaren brewmaster>beer and one of the best TGS podcasts was with Jesse on Iron Brew
Aegislash: Fragarach. It's a sword for a book I'm reading, and Fragarach sounds better than Moraltach.
Talonflame: Flamehawk. Fire type + bird = flamehawk, will probably rename to Fawkes at one time or another
Blaziken: Blaziken. becuase fuck the name rater for not allowing me to name traded pokemon
Hawlucha: Roll for Pin. basically because of this. love that story. Though credit for thi one goes to my friend.

hazabaza1 said:
Trevenant-Treebeard
Oh I did the same thing, idea thief. Have you run into an entmoot, I mean horde of trevenants? cause I have, it was great.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Garlic is the name of my Bulbasaur. His back-plant really does look like garlic. Froakie is Drug Frog. Pikachu is just Dirty Rat.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
My team:
- Delphox: Ylvis. I couldn't resist. The fox says Flamethrower, ************.
- Venusaur: Arin. Named after Egoraptor, as a reference to PokeAwesome.
- Aegislash: Charlie. A reference to an Oblivion LP I read, where a character's soul is used to enchant a sword.
- Tyrantrum: Aegon. Because it's a royal looking Dragon type, so I named it after a Targaryen.
- Hawlucha: Strong Bad. Come on, it's a luchador.
- Lapras: Pierre. Named after Pierre-Simon Laplace.

I'm...not that good at nicknames.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
ever since read I always name my bulbasaur Plantasaur.

no not every imaginative, but I fucking bonded with that bit of data back in elementary school.

Everyone had a blastoise or a charizard. I was the lone different one.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Welp, out of my current party:

Greninja - Agent Toad - this just stems from the whole Greninja being a froggy ninja thing. Espionage and whatnot.

Venusaur - Bolbi - given when I first got him as a Bulbasaur. It's a reference to a certain Nickelodeon tv show that I admittedly rarely watched but can still remember the character from the show that the name is based upon.

Salamence - Bacon - caught it when it was a Bagon. Bacon as a nickname was my only option.

Hippowdown - Hiphophippo - reference to a Flight of the Conchords song.

Lucario - Bruce Lee - pretty self-explanatory.

I also give a lot of Pokemon that I Wonder Trade names like "YOU'RE NEXT" and "BEHIND YOU" and whatnot. Weird habit of mine.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
(Can I get ratings on these??)

I'll do my Y pokemon names and then my main stuff:

Delphox - Female - Resia - Named after my mage in World of Warcraft
Pangoro - Male - Coop - Named after Coop from MegasXLR
Clawitzer - Male - Booker - Named after large special attacking move pool similar to vigors
Noivern - Male - Alphonse - Named to be "Gentlemenly"
Staraptor - Male - Nick - Named after my main Staraptor, Nick, who was named after L4D2's Nick
Heliolix - Female - Sheila - Named after Sheila from Red vs. Blue

Main Teams name on White 2 right now:

Empoleon - Male - Grif - Named after Grif from Red vs. Blue for being lazy
Xatu - Male - Thane - Named after Thane from Mass Effect due to the mystic nature
Tyranitar - Female - Tali - Named after Tali from Mass Effect for being quite shy
Honchkrow - Male - Archer - Named after Sterling Archer from the show Archer due to his "ladies-man" personality
Swampert - Male - Bill - Named after Bill from Left 4 Dead, Supposedly a Vietnamese war veteran
Dusknoir - Male - Niko - Named after Niko Bellic for his Russian origins.

Weavile - Male - Macmillan - Named after Captain Macmillan from COD4, Ex SAS Weavile from a bomb squad.
Mienshao - Female - Elena - Named after the singer from the Nazi Zombies songs
Scolipede - Male - Alcatraz - Named after the main character from Crysis 2, known for not speaking outside of grunts of pain.
Staraptor - Male - Nick - Same pokemon as above
Starmie - Male Personality - Mr. Gutsy - Named after the machines from Fallout 3 due to their relentless killing capabilities.
Haxorus - Male - Garrus - Named after Garrus from Mass Effect due to the cunning and sarcastic nature he holds.

Sceptile - Male - Slash - Named after the guitarist for his ability to play the electric guitar damn well.
Hydreigon - Male - Legion - Named after Legion from Mass Effect due to his robotic like nature
Chatot - Male - Dovahkiin - Named after the Dovahkiin from his vocal attacks
Butterfree - Female - Carolina - Named after Carolina from Red vs. Blue thanks to it being a decent name
Zoroark - Male - Zer0 - Named after Zer0 from Borderlands, even speaking in Haikus as well.
Garchomp - Female - Allison - Named after Allison 'Tex' from Red Vs. Blue due to her Tomboyish and aggressive personality.

Typhlosion - Male - Feran - Made up name, supposedly the 'rookie' of the team and highly energetic
Gardevoir - Female - Grace - Made up name again, Devious and Subtle

PFCboom

Sep 20, 2012
Chesnaught: Vanguard. I love the word itself, and ever since Mass Effect I loved it even more. When I saw Chespin's final form, well, it just seemed natural.
Honedge/Doublade: Kusanagi. I spent a few minutes to try to find the name of the sword wielded by Susano when he defeated Orochi. It seemed appropriate.
Dedenne: Not Pikachu. Because that's what it is.
Woobat: Not Zubat. They're both very annoying, sure, but Zubat just won't ever be topped in terms of sheer annoyance.
Lucario: Kenshiro. hooooo-WATATATATATATATATA.
Gulpin: Serena. Gulpin is fat. Sailor Moon Abridged keeps saying how Serena is fat. Hence the joke.
Bunnelby: Peppy. BARREL. ROLL. NOW.
Ninjask: Hiryu. Screwattack's Death Battle has determined that Strider Hiryu is a better ninja than Ryu Hyabusa.
Espurr: Locke. Espurr is like Esper, from Final Fantasy VI, so I was about to go with Terra, then I noticed it was a male, so I went with Locke.
Skiddo: Gryff. I meant to go with Gruff - Three Billy Goats Gruff, tee hee - but I tapped a Y instead of U, and just ran with it.
Mienfoo: Xiao Xiao. Because it's cute, and perfectly appropriate.
Sandile: Hook. Captain Hook. Peter Pan.
Golett: F O. I have a buddy whose name is long, so we shorten it to F O, and Golett looks like him, all short and round.
Hariyama: Chyna, after the roided female wrestler, because it's a female Hariyama.
Throh: Bert, because he just reminds me of Bert from Sesame Street.
Tyrunt: Darwin. Still not 100% sure why, but Darwin is a cool name anyway.
Quagsire: Herp Derpson. 'Nuf said.
Pawniard: Shredder. I have a Bisharp in Black, and I named him Shredder, and I love him, because he's a certified bad-ass.
Blaziken: Kikaider. That was what I called him in my Sapphire version, and he's just as cool now as he was then. Kikaider, if you didn't know, is an android with sweet fighting moves.

Sandjube

Feb 11, 2011
Lucario - Dust. Been playing Dust heaps lately, first thing that came to my mind when I was given him.
Gogoat - Pet. I dunno. Pet goat.
Delphox - Panne. Favourite character from Fire Emblem.
Hawlucha - Carlito. From with pleasant companions on youtube...yeah.
Floette - Bebe. Shortened version of Flabebe.
Blastoise - Scronky. My friends name is sam, I call him scronky, squirtle starts with S....?
Mienfoo - Fo. Meant to be Foo, but oh well.
Staravia - Kirby. I had a bird called Kirby.
Sandile - Sandjube. Username.
Hippopototas - Uno. Uno the Hippo is previously mentioned sam's steam user.

I think that's all the pokemans I've named. The top 6 are my current team. Not exactly great, but I actually don't care so.

sage42

Elite Member
Mar 20, 2009
Elfgore said:
The other is Squirtle and I always call him Shellshock even though that is from the Pokemon Movie.
Holy Crap! I'm not the only one who does it! I always thought it was a stupid little quirk I picked up from the movie but lo and behold.

OT: Chespin-Rook, because Chesnaught looks like a damn castle and has the word Ches in his name. Yes I know it's referring to chestnut but I dun care.
Krilia-Lilly, another thing I just name all female Ralts.
Squirtle-as above Shellshock.
Pancho-Po, for obvious reasons.
Lilleo-Nala, because it's a girl and a lion.
and a Dwebble named THE BOULDER, because the second I saw it, I thought of a character by the same name from Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Oh boy you asked for it!
Greninja aka Shin (short for Shinobi)

Meowstic male aka Blake (the name is old english for black and it is also named after Blake from RWBY. This in turn had I had also nicknamed my female Meowstic Weiss aswell.)

Aurorus aka Arctic (I wanted an ice related name that wasn't too cliche like Blizzard and I thought of that)

Helioptile aka Basil (Ok not as cool since I couldn't think of a sand or electric names but Basil is short for basilisk aka the Jesus Christ Lizard it is based from.) EDIT-Ok I think I gonna changed his nickname to Frill since it is actually based from a Frill neck lizard.

Charizard aka Dragneel (the name is based from Natsu surname from Fairy Tail. I couldn't think of a better dragon related name that is also unquie.

Clauncher aka Cannon since its evolve form got a friggin cannon claw!

Chandelure aka Candle Jack
Serperior aka Serpent
Scrafty aka Scanty (it's female and I wanted a ruffian like name and I thought of Scanty and Kneesock from the anime Panty and Stocking.)
Carracosta aka Tokka (from the TNMT 2 movie)
Archeops aka Raptor
Reuniclus aka Plasma

Infernape aka Funky (it was based on this strange song that my bro one sand "Swing that funky monkey til it drop!")
Luxray aka Leo (not original I know)
Garchomp aka Nemsis
Houchkrow aka Mafia (Mob Boss sound too sterotypical)
Gastrodon (East) Hydra (I couldn't think of a slug/ water like name)
Lucario aka Anubis (since it look like Anubis)

While I did had a Platinum team but I can't be bother listing their nicknames as this is taking me long typing them all out!

Bare in mind I had imported this game and this was the 56k modern era of internet meaning I did not get to see the entire new Pokemon before hand!
Swampert aka Aqua
Gardivour aka Nell (former nickname which was named after this character in Advance War). Grace is her current name
Mightyena aka Hunter
Ninjast aka Stealth
Arggon aka Titan
Pelipper aka Gul (Seagul)

Typlosion aka Wild Fire
Noctowl aka T'wit (t'wit twoo)
Golduck aka Kappa
Ampharos aka Shocker
Tyranitar aka Tyrant
Ariados aka Fang

Yes my nicknames are all silly like but I rather nickname them to all sound cool like then to be plain/ generic about it.

Jolly Co-operator

A Heavy Sword
Mar 10, 2012
Koffing: Chernoball (a combination of "Chernobyl" and "Ball").

Gengar: Rictus. (A rictus is a fixed grin-like facial expression that can be found on dead bodies, so it fits Gengar's smile.)

Blastoise: Beru. (It's the name of the god of storms in the book series I'm currently reading.)

Skarmory: Excalibird (a combination of "Excalibur" and "bird")

That's all I can remember off the top of my head, and I'm in a hurry, but I'll add more as I remember them.

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
I named my Snorlax Bun, after a friend of mine who also has the tendency to eat twice his bodyweight and then fall asleep.
Lucario: Swiper, because he looks like swiper.

Rest: yet to nickname.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
The_Lost_King said:
hazabaza1 said:
Trevenant-Treebeard
Oh I did the same thing, idea thief. Have you run into an entmoot, I mean horde of trevenants? cause I have, it was great.
That was where I got it from actually. I took my time beating them one by one, then a Timer ball. Managed to catch one without even hurting it.