Police confuse speech impediment for "disrespect" - Tasered teen

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
http://www.courthousenews.com/2011/06/29/37770.htm and http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/dayton-news/family-sues-city-over-sons-arrest-1198555.html
any thought you would like to share about this

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
What can be said? The cops dun goofed

If it really is as one sided as this, then yes, those men do not desrve to be cops.

However, if there's more, which I'm sure there is, then we need to hear both sides of the story.

Red Albatross

Jun 11, 2009
Awful, but I can't say that I'm surprised. The U.S. is a police state. Power-mad high school dropout pigs with too much power, too many toys, and too little oversight.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
This is what happens with bored cops. Why would you hassle a kid on a bike anyway? Also, how do you construe a speech impediment as disrespectful, unless he goes oink every few words.

I don't think disrespecting a cop should be a problem. I should be able to walk right up to a cop and call him an asshole, once, not too loud, and not be under threat of arrest or beating.

cke

Jun 20, 2010
WouldYouKindly said:
Also, how do you construe a speech impediment as disrespectful, unless he goes oink every few words.
And even then it might be Tourette's.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
"Jesse was charged with assault on a peace officer"
What the fuck?! Unless the story here is incomplete, there was no assault or obstruction in any way. And since those two charges are bogus, the kid couldn't be arrested for resisting arrest (obviously).

I sincerely hope those incompetent fucks will not only be fired, but also criminally charged.

Apprentice88

Jun 16, 2011
Last time I checked being disrespectful wasn't a crime nor warrant such a reaction.

Sounds to me like someone's about to lose their badge.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
I have a friend who was thrown in a cop car because he smiled and laughed everytime the cop asked a question, she had to go to his house the next day to give him and his family a formal apology.

TheDarklite

Nov 26, 2010
I cannot justify what the police officers did, but I am pretty sure there is more to this than what is written in that article.

After all, there are two sides to every story.

.... I still think that was far too excessive though, considering the information at hand.

Tim_Buoy

Jul 7, 2010
EverythingIncredible said:
We all make mistakes from time to time. It's just a shame someone got a taser for it.
well there's mistakes and than there are complete cockups. This would be the latter i make a mistake when i forget my keys taseing pepper spraying and beating on a mentally handicaped person in a defensive stance isnt a mistake.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
This article [http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/dayton-news/family-sues-city-over-sons-arrest-1198555.html] also includes events as described in the police report.

Based on what little info we have, it is definitely not a clear-cut case. I do however question the need to pursue a teenager for a mere bicycle traffic infraction.

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
Either the number of bad cops out there is on the rise, or people are more willing to come forward to report on it.

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
Kakulukia said:
"Jesse was charged with assault on a peace officer"
What the fuck?! Unless the story here is incomplete, there was no assault or obstruction in any way. And since those two charges are bogus, the kid couldn't be arrested for resisting arrest (obviously).

I sincerely hope those incompetent fucks will not only be fired, but also criminally charged.
At the end of the article, it says that all the charges against the kid were dropped and the cop is being prosecuted/sued for: "false imprisonment, false arrest, malicious prosecution, assault, battery, excessive use of force, infliction of emotional distress and civil conspiracy. "

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
traukanshaku said:
Awful, but I can't say that I'm surprised. The U.S. is a police state. Power-mad high school dropout pigs with too much power, too many toys, and too little oversight.
While what this officer should get a basketball wrapped in barbwire shoved up his ass for what he apparently did I am a tiny bit confused by people going apeshit on all police everywhere for one dickhead. You do realize that 95% of police are decent people just trying to do their jobs right?

boringanarchy

May 27, 2011
traukanshaku said:
Because of course the actions of these few represent the majority. Perhaps if you substantiated these wild accusations they would carry more weight. I personally know most of the cops in my town and they are decent hard-working people. You need statistics otherwise it becomes a battle of anecdotes.

OT: If the events transpired as described, then yes, the officers in question should indeed be stripped of badges and made to serve time for abuse. There is no excuse for that kind of behavior IF that is indeed what transpired.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
Hey look, another story about cops doing silly things.

I agree that the charges suggest that there's more to the story, but I honestly don't see the logic here at all:

a) disrespect doesn't warrant such a beatdown (he got out his gun to pistol whip the kid's leg? Really?)

b) even if he did fight back, having 20 cops there was so much overkill you'd think the kid was armed to the teeth

c) ignoring repeated attempts by all civilians around to communicate the said impediment seems like an overall lack of thought (I could see dismissing one or two people, but the article suggests it was quite a few more than that)

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
As someone with a speech impediment,[footnote]I stutter, but not as you'd think. I usually get blocked, as in I know what I want to say, but I can't get it out. I repeat words or sylables too, but I mainly just get blocked. It's looks like I'm gawking at someone when it happens.[/footnote] I find this to be absolutely terrible. I'd hate to get beaten up just because I can't help that I don't speak propery and by police, no less.