Police confuse speech impediment for "disrespect" - Tasered teen

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
All of you guys here that are insulting the police and saying they're all pigs make me sick. I believe one of you said they should all be put in concentration camps and killed? Yeah, that's brilliant. Go live in a country where there is NO police force of any kind, see how long it takes for you to get robbed (or worse). Do you believe the actions of a few morons represent every cop in the country? Sure, why wouldn't you? You never read news stories about good cops, that doesn't sell papers or get traffic on a website. My father was a State Police officer for 25 years and never even drew his gun, and while we didn't exactly live in a seedy area, there was more than enough violent crime.

I'm not saying the cops weren't at fault here. I don't know all the details. I just try to see it from the police perspective. It was all very well outlined a little bit back (page 3, I think). Some guy that you don't know, who is bigger than you are, starts swinging at you while trying to get into an unfamiliar house? You would react the same way the officer did, and if you wouldn't then you wouldn't survive long on the force. He didn't know what the hell was going on, the kid could have been a strung-out meth addict for all he knew. The door could have opened to a guy with a shotgun trained on him. If the kids mom had tried to calmly explain to the officer what was going on, then this would probably never have gone beyond 'bicycle citation'. But no, mom attacks the officer too! Now, I'm a father myself, I get that parental instinct that if someone is threatening your child then you just want to hate-fuck them into submission, but I also know that being calm about things can often take the steam out of a heated situation.

The kid obviously has more of a handicap than just a speech impediment if he was released by the courts, so the title of this thread is misleading (not on the fault of the OP, since the information available at the time was one-sided).

Le_Lisra said:
Edit:
I find it fascinating that the mother and the friend were actually found guilty. Either that was a very strange judge or they didn't explain their story very well.. I mean, they didn't act quite right, but circumstances, man, circumstances.. bias? Perish the thought.
They assaulted a police officer who was already being attacked by a 6'1" 160 lb. man. The guy only got off because he was handicapped. If he hadn't been, he'd be going to jail too.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
666Chaos said:
I actually did not say that.

Your right though its a very difficult situation when a kid who is mentally handicaped and cant understand if he is doing something wrong does something wrong.
Sorry, mistook you for the person I quoted.

It's a disability rights issue that should be given much more attention that it does. I think a 'reasonable accommodation' of people with various handicaps would be some basic training on the part of police departments. One of my biggest fears of my brother's epilepsy is that he'll be assaulted during a seizure by police.

Between epilepsy, diabetes, the more common non-violent mental disorders, there are a large number of people in any country who may look like they're breaking the law but have no control over themselves, or limited capacity to understand the law.

Xojins

Jan 7, 2008
And people say we should give the cops the benefit of the doubt... psh...

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
Kakulukia said:
"Jesse was charged with assault on a peace officer"
What the fuck?! Unless the story here is incomplete, there was no assault or obstruction in any way. And since those two charges are bogus, the kid couldn't be arrested for resisting arrest (obviously).

I sincerely hope those incompetent fucks will not only be fired, but also criminally charged.
Court House news stories are ALWAYS incomplete. I have done research on 3 of the last ones posted here and found out that 1) they all have happened back in 2009 2) The stories are construed to hate on cops. 3)HUGE details are left out

Norendithas

Oct 13, 2009
While there was obviously something wrong going on there, most of the information there sounded very, very one sided.

rednose1

Oct 11, 2009
While I am really trying to remain neutral on this (there are 2 sides to every story afterall) I have heard (and unfortunately had) too many bad run ins with cops. Mine was getting arrested for drunk in public. I asked for a breathalyzer test, and was denied. Cops should not have the power of judge and jury. My first (and only) visit to jail was for something I thought I was doing right (I agreed that I had been drink, the very reason I was walking instead of driving, and lived less than a mile away.) 3 years later, and still get upset about it.

cbert

Apr 1, 2011
Based on the ongoing debate, I'm going to go with "Youtube or it didn't happen."

Beyond that, I can't make any judgement. Good luck to whoever has to sort this one out. Moral of the story: ride on the correct side of the street and try extra hard to be polite.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I think the law against "disrespecting cops" needs to be...loosened. Out of laziness of not changing the channel, I watch Cops and see the officers getting all jerky because they are being "disrespectful". But being a cop shouldnt just make you respected. Being a good cop should. All of my Uncles are cops...but I know atleast one of them is a total prick.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
cbert said:
Moral of the story: ride on the correct side of the street and try extra hard to be polite.
Also, if you have a disability you shouldn't go outside alone. Or wear a T-shirt that says "I have a mental handicap". Maybe some sort of discrete emblem to identify them...a golden wheelchair patch?

cbert

Apr 1, 2011
Dags90 said:
cbert said:
Moral of the story: ride on the correct side of the street and try extra hard to be polite.
Also, if you have a disability you shouldn't go outside alone. Or wear a T-shirt that says "I have a mental handicap". Maybe some sort of discrete emblem to identify them...a golden wheelchair patch?
Or maybe something on the licence plate of their car. We should give them special parking spaces too!!

Why hasn't anyone thought of this? There should be government action for people with disabilities - you should sponsor an "Americans with Disabilities Act"!

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
Dags90 said:
Douk said:
Or...you could blame the kid for doing what the rest of us seem to have no problem doing: follow the law and when you break it, yield to the police. Is that really so hard? No, no it isn't.
According to the one article, the boy is sufficiently disabled as to not be able to even stand trial for what he did, ?Jesse was declared incompetent by the Montgomery County Juvenile Court and the charges against Jesse were dismissed,? the lawsuit states.

The kid did nothing legally wrong. The cops need better training to recognize and deal with disabilities and more training on appropriate taser use. This is almost as bad as that time cops tasered that guy in a diabetic coma. Oh wait, there's more than one of those!

Taser companies push their products on improperly trained police officers and encourage their widespread use, when they should be used much less frequently. My state operates fine without police using tasers.
I didn't post that, don't change my words.