Politician Asks Game Makers to End Real-Life Gun Licensing

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
I think he has a pretty valid point. I mean if you put aside logic and good reason for a second. Which as we all know the single person may have but the public lacks.

First off, we got on great for years and years without having sponsored guns in games. Any game where you pick up a "9mm" or ".45" and can tell full well from the gun model what it is suits me. if it's a .45 and looks like a 1911 then it's a 1911. It's a video game, it's a gun in a video game. The gun is a tool, the brand doesn't matter, only what it does in gameplay.

I read a thread in a gun forum a while back (I like guns for their aesthetics and engineering, I have no interest in owning one) where gun shop owners talked about an alarming amount of people buying guns based on what they used in games like C.O.D. Now I have no solid evidence to back that up. But lets face it, it makes sense. People were trying to buy ACR's because it "handled well" Think about that for a second. You use a product in a video game and find it so effective you want to buy one in real life so in some way you can mimic the feeling you have in the game. Think about the ramifications of that not just with guns, but with any product. Kinda screwed up. If the med packs were pfizer, people would flip their shit.

Video games do not cause violence. But people with mental health problems latch onto it as an escape more so than books, music, or movies because it is so immersive and they have agency in the game they lack in their lives. A person who is likely to shoot up a school is going to play "No Russian" a hundred times because it matches their fantasy. Nothing whatsoever to do with the game. It happens, it will happen again. Using real life guns just makes the fantasy more immersive. Colt m16 a2 (inc. all rights reserved) in the game perfectly matches the one they have. and the reflex sight matches the one in the catalogue it bridges the gap between whats on screen and whats in their heads. And there is a little bit of a point there. But not worth banning anything over. It's the product placement and aspirational marketing that bothers me more.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
if i would be a CEO of any of the companies, i would send them a letter like this one:

hahahahaha
oh, wait you are serious. let me laugh even harder.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

seriously though, this wont make any difference. either being an obsessive COD gamer or not, it wont make a difference. admitting that there is no connection but still requesting this crap, is just beyond my comprehension. how about they change their policy about real guns.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Reeve said:
That's right kids: Publishers have to pay to licenses to be allowed to depict real world guns in games. That money goes to the arms industry. Which means that every time you buy a game that depicts real world guns in it: Some of your money is spent on making real weapons. You help the arms industry! (And some of you, whilst doing that unwittingly, will be on the Internet demanding gun control. lol cosmic irony!)
And this is why I'm actually in favour of this.

At heart I'm strongly in favour of the traditional aproach of my Goverbment towards firearms: "Unless you have a genuine need for, and skill to operate safely, you can't get a licence to own one."

That said I do live in one of the UK's main drugs ports and have had a couple of armed seiges on my street, so I know the system over here is hardly faultless.

Vale

May 1, 2013
It's more of a question of "do you want to support the gun market, videogame creator dudes?"
There's a reason - beyond costs- that Valve for instance doesn't actually use the real names of the guns featured in their games.
STALKER doesn't, either, but that really is more about them having been broke as shit.
Buncha other games avoid such licensing for similar reasons. All GTA games for instance. And don't tell me Rockstar ain't willing to spend.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
SonOfVoorhees said:
So guns in games are bad. Guns in real life is fine. Yeah, this makes zero sense. Firing a gun in a game is different to firing a real gun. Also how many people are playing Cod looking at the gun to ensure it looks exactly like the gun its modeled on? Kids can use a stick as a gun and play cowboys and indians. I some how think some people lose the plot when it comes to guns in games because i dont think anyone has been killed by a gaming gun.
I must say, I quite like it when guns are accurate.
Mostly because I will never get to lay my hands on a real M60 and pretend to be Rambo.
Nor will I own a 'Nam era M16A1 with the cool as fuck triangular handguard and all of the jam.
or the... this could go on for a while, I'll stop here.

Though, I am really bored of using the same guns again and again and again. I'd really like to get back to space and sci-fi settings for a while. GIMME A RAILGUN DAMN IT.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Hero in a half shell said:
WanderingFool said:
erttheking said:
It's slightly better than what most of the idiots are trying to do, but it'll still solve jack shit.
Thats roughly the same as giving a person a sweater so they dont get cold... in the desert...

Also, I when I read bushmaster, I thought this:

I make no apology.
When I read Bushmaster I thought of this:

Our videogames need more guns that shoot Paul Hogan at people.
Get Volition on this pronto! Incoming Crocodile Dundee gun!

OT: So....let me get this straight; EA will not be licensing the right to use the likeness of real-world guns in games, a form of digital media. So what guns will it be using instead in all of it's new games? They'll probably make new ones up, but they will probably have a likeness to real-world guns anyway.

Despite the fact that this will do sweet FA, what's the point if they will have fucking guns that still fire fucking bullets in their games? (Lock Stock reference weeeeeee~)

At the very least they won't be using valuable money on licensing and can use it to (hopefully) make better games.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ed130 said:
You mean there are US politicians that are actually competent?

If so do you have any to spare?
Well, there's the rub. They seem to only exist in small pockets of the American ecosystem. When transplanted into the wild, they tend to be consumed by larger animals.

I mean, on the state level more can get done and these politicians tend to be bolder. But we're still talking a blue state that already had gun control. Sharkey would probably be eaten alive if he tried this in Texas. Or even Ohio.

And the problem there is also that for every blue state making gun reform laws, you have a red state making a "stand your ground" law[footnote]which in Texas and Florida has been found to be reasonable even if you provoke the attack.[/footnote] or pushing guns on playgrounds.

SilverLion

May 11, 2013
As an aspiring game designer, I can support this, because I do not have the 15 million dollars to call my obviously a Remington sniper rifle a "Remington sniper rifle" without fear of having my dick sued off. Gun makers earn lots of money as it is with the U.S being so gun-totingly jingoistic, and they don't need to earn more by wringing out my pockets so I can make any basic shooter game set inbetween the year's 1990 and 2030.
I don't know if game dev's are forced to acquire the rights to use guns of a specific make in game but if they do, then I wholeheartedly agree with the speaker of Connecticut House.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
All of that because no American politician in his or her right mind would think to go up against the NRA's big guns (pun intended). The closest thing they can come up with involves pussyfooting around the issue.

"Guns are bad but we can't ask the gun manufacturers to abide by a stricter set of laws for fear of losing money and voters; so let's just gently nudge the publicly accepted "culprit" of the generation. Maybe if shooters don't refer to real pew-pews anymore, there's a sliver of an outside chance it's going to convince the actual gun nuts of exercising more caution in their use and purchase of firearms. Just maybe."

That's such a shame. If the NRA weren't so influential this debate would be a non-issue. Gun culture will always have its advocates, and the harshest bummer in all of this is that in some cases, I can almost agree with them. If you live in a tough neighbourhood and can't afford to move out and have tangible proof that you might be targeted, then yeah. Maybe owning a pistol makes sense.

I'm just a dude from Quebec, though, and my neighbourhood is so freaking sleepy the houses snore. We sometimes leave the doors unlocked at night and haven't had to deal with anything more worrying than Mister Conspicuous Ferrarri in SUV and Soccer Mom Town - and his not-so-secret pot farm.

Arkaijn

Apr 30, 2013
the real-life Bushmaster, a "versatile and useful gun" with flash suppressor and 30-round magazine, is still available at your local Walmart........ 'Murica

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
God I can't wait until the 2030's when our generation is old enough to be the new politicians, maybe then we'll actually get some serious talk about games and the effects they have on people if any, although by then we'll probably be decrying those "Bloody kids and their hover boards!"

Quantum Glass

Mar 19, 2013
Honestly, the fact that this guy is asking for our help in screwing gun manufacturers over--even if the royalties they get are just a small amount of their profits--makes me happy.

TotalerKrieger

Nov 12, 2011
What an incredibly stupid idea...where are these politicians drawing their conclusions from? Sharkey even admits that research contradicts his opinion...so why bother creating some frivolous restriction on the video game medium (no mention of movies, television or literature)? Oh right, because some worthless symbolic gesture designed to appease the paranoid anti-gun/anti-videogame crowd is far easier than doing something useful like trying to fix the failing mental health system.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
So a representative in the state of Connecticut is calling for an end to gun licensing in video games, specifically citing the Sandy Hook shooting being done with a Bushmaster and mentioning CoD. Bushmaster rifles have never been featured in CoD. Not even the ACR, whose military variant is produced by Remington, not Bushmaster. Colt rifles are though. Colt Mfg. is one of the largest gunmakers in the world, supplying the main arms of the United States Military and others. It's located in Hartford, Connecticut. I think you have a closer, more logical address for your letter, Representative.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
rhizhim said:
its a retarded egg chicken question for this politician.

did the kid shoot up other kids with a bushmaster because it was in call of duty or because it is one of the most recommended and sold assault rifle in america.(the answer is the last part)
There have been cases where gamers have rushed out to buy their favorite gun from a game. When MW2 came out, a lot of people went down to their local gunshops wanting an ACR (not to mention the guy who wanted a scoped rifle, and asked which button he pressed to make the scope zoom in so he could 'headshot some noobs like in halo.')

Don;t get me wrong, if someone offered me a FAMAS replica (emphasis on REPLICA) to hang on my wall I'd be all too happy to accept.

EDIT:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97789-Gun-Enthusiasts-Complain-About-the-Call-of-Duty-Effect

an article on the above on this very site about three years ago.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
schrodinger said:
"I write to you today to request your cooperation in ending the nefarious relationship between video game makers and gun makers," he concluded. "Our communities, our country and our children are counting on your leadership on this important issue."
really? Nefarious?

pictured, video game developers and gun makers:

To wrap up, I commend what they're rallying for, but first take care of the real world problems before the fictional.
Hahaha, that was my first reaction too! I mean, of all the adjectives to use, 'nefarious' was the one he chose to describe a licencing agreement? Pretty sure of the scale of nefariosity, such agreements rank pretty low...

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
From the Speaker's page:

A report published in June by Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America and The Gun Truth Project detailed how deals between video game companies and weapons manufacturers often lead to promotional campaigns enticing players to purchase weapons featured in the games they have just played.

I'm not sure how "often" it actually happens; I'm only aware of the deal EA signed with McMillan and Magpul that it canned last year. But that's obviously the nail the Speaker has chosen to hammer.
Nobody should ever listen to the crazy bitches in Moms Demand Action; they've been quoting completely false "facts" in huge walls of bullshit on their facebook page and website for ages now. They ban anyone who asks for references or sources for any of their data for not "contributing to their community," and foster no discussion on the topic. They're scared of honest discourse and are only interested in the logical fallacy known as argumentum ad passiones (appeal to emotion) in order to get people in position to knee-jerk react any time anyone gets shot anywhere over anything.

They have nobody's best interest at heart, least of all their country's. They're self-serving and really quite insane. The fact that any senator would listen to anything they say is worrying at best.