Poll: 12 year old girl wins case against dear old Dad for grounding...

Trace2010

Aug 10, 2008
SuperMse said:
However crazy this is, I have a hard time thinking an article from Parentdish.com isn't biased in some way. Assuming what I read is true though...WTH? Shouldn't the parent with custody have more say than the parent without custody? Because that's probably how the girl won- her mom gave her permission, and apparently her father is not allowed to revoke that permission.
Nailed it right on the head there.

Trace2010

Aug 10, 2008
archwiccan said:
Even if the father didn't have any authority on the daughter she was under his roof. Like honnestly i been grounded at friend's houses, did i complain? Hell no, its their houses rule's no my own. If i do some thing wrong i will happily pay the price but that is way to far
Why did you not complain? Was it maybe because you RESPECTED your friend and his/her parents?

Cheesebob

Oct 31, 2008
Trace2010 said:
Cheesebob said:
I hope the lawyer who took this case is totally ashamed of himself and never does lawyering again
Why? He won!
Surly he could see the total ridiculousness of the entire thing? Or do all lawyers have no ethics?

Trace2010

Aug 10, 2008
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
Nigh Invulnerable said:
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
Nigh Invulnerable said:
Part of the reason most of us think the father is in the right is that the daughter was posting 'inappropriate' pictures of herself online WHEN SHE'S 12!
No actually, that's *not* why most of you think the father is in the right. The argument you jumped into wasn't about the facts of this particular case, but rather how the parent/child relationship should be structures.
Actually, my point is that regardless of your opinion on parent-child relationships the girl disobeyed her father, the man who had legal custody of her at the time, and was punished for it. I think the relationship structure is important too, but this girl sued her dad because he didn't want to let her go on a trip due to her disobedience. Whatever the content of these pictures she was posting, the dad felt it was not appropriate for her to be doing so and had told her she could not use the web, therefore she is in the wrong entirely for not listening.
Then your point isn't relevant to what I was talking about. I agree with your point to an extent about how even if the original judgment of the father was wrong, she herself then did something wrong by disobeying him.

Of course, the question then becomes whether he had the right to prohibit her from using the internet in the first place. Maybe her mom permitted her to use the internet, in which case she was caught in the middle of a parental disagreement which changes things.
Dad was the custodial parent, and would have had to answer for any harm to the child.
He didn't prohibit her from using the internet- he placed banned on sites HE deemed were inappropriate for his little girl...well within his jurisdiction and responsibilities as a parent. She disobeyed him again...well, now what? He (since he has responsibility for that child) must ensure that rules within his house will be followed. So he grounds her.

Trace2010

Aug 10, 2008
Cheesebob said:
Trace2010 said:
Cheesebob said:
I hope the lawyer who took this case is totally ashamed of himself and never does lawyering again
Why? He won!
Surly he could see the total ridiculousness of the entire thing? Or do all lawyers have no ethics?
Sometimes you do things just to prove you CAN, and not because you SHOULD. In this case, he was less mature than the child he was representing.

LethalBargi

Feb 20, 2009
man he should have slapped her, if that was my dad and i told him i taking him to court i wouldnt be here to type these words.

Ago Iterum

Dec 31, 2007
Here's everything that's wrong with everything in the world.

Kids 100 years ago would be hit if they stepped out of line, there was no such thing as a brat.

Now if you so much as try to punish your kid, even in a reasonable way, you get prosecuted.

cappp

Mar 30, 2008
No. The lawyer did his job i.e. to represent the best interests of his client to his fullest ability and to clarify an otherwise ambiguous area of the law. This is not a case about a petulant child abusing the legal system with the help of an unscrupulous lawyer despite the quite frankly bewildering insistence of those who haven?t taken the time to actually read the ruling itself, or at least taken the ten minutes necessary to find a more balanced news source.

Again, there was a question of parental authority between the parents. The court was considering if the father, the non-custodial parent, could act as the child?s guardian and decision maker when she was living with her mother, in her mother?s home, under her mother?s supervision. This is a valid and important legal question. While it?s fun to lament the legal system and it?s crazy function it?s also a good idea to check the facts before allowing blind faith and righteous indignation to overwhelm common sense.

The ruling, and summary of the facts, is here:
http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=en&js=n&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.canlii.org%2Ffr%2Fqc%2Fqcca%2Fdoc%2F2009%2F2009qcca623%2F2009qcca623.html&sl=fr&tl=en

Archereus

Aug 18, 2008
Trace2010 said:
archwiccan said:
Even if the father didn't have any authority on the daughter she was under his roof. Like honnestly i been grounded at friend's houses, did i complain? Hell no, its their houses rule's no my own. If i do some thing wrong i will happily pay the price but that is way to far
Why did you not complain? Was it maybe because you RESPECTED your friend and his/her parents?
Generally i suppose...

EchetusXe

Jun 19, 2008
Reading the forums here it would seem people think its perfectly fine for a bloke to stop a child he has no legal custody over and who lives alone with her mother of going on a school trip because of something the child did that he didn't like at his house. Yet at the same time ('Slavery returns to Britain' thread) a country that says its youths must do 50 hours a lifetime of volunteer work is evil and totalitarian and denies children basic human rights?

Either:

a) people are too easily influenced by the source they read their news from (as cappp seems to suggest).
or
b) kids don't mind when the rights of others are abused, just as long as they themselves aren't negatively affected, thank you very much.

Arwarman

Dec 23, 2008
The whole things absolutely ridiculous. It shouldn't of even got that far. If I was going to sue my Mum or Dad they'd just turn around, give me a hard slap and that would be the end of it. Well obviously not now, I'm old enough to live on my own and earn my own living... But yeah, back then.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
EchetusXe said:
Reading the forums here it would seem people think its perfectly fine for a bloke to stop a child he has no legal custody over and who lives alone with her mother of going on a school trip because of something the child did that he didn't like at his house. Yet at the same time ('Slavery returns to Britain' thread) a country that says its youths must do 50 hours a lifetime of volunteer work is evil and totalitarian and denies children basic human rights?

Either:

a) people are too easily influenced by the source they read their news from (as cappp seems to suggest).
or
b) kids don't mind when the rights of others are abused, just as long as they themselves aren't negatively affected, thank you very much.
The guy still had legal custody. Also, the Lawyer turned it into a custody battle to increase his chances of winning. All these articles and news reports still don't change the fact that the girl brought a non-abusive dispute with the father to court.

Seekster

May 28, 2008
So in other words the Father was punished for actually trying to act like a parent should? Yeah that sends a real good message to those parents who should be more responsible and actually raise their children. *sigh* Faith in humanity -1.

sanomaton

Oct 25, 2008
Arwarman said:
The whole things absolutely ridiculous. It shouldn't of even got that far. If I was going to sue my Mum or Dad they'd just turn around, give me a hard slap and that would be the end of it. Well obviously not now, I'm old enough to live on my own and earn my own living... But yeah, back then.
Yeah, I'd probably get my ass kicked as well if I were to do something like that. And imho that's how it's friggin' supposed to be! It's appalling that the kid won, just ridiculous.

Greymantle

Apr 1, 2009
Kids learn quick these days. With no more corporal punishment in the schools or handed down by parents because it is "unpolitically correct" the society as a whole has given children a false sense of empowerment which is eroding the school system and the home.

Basically, common sense has left the building, and we now are living in a world of uncommon sense. Just my 2c worth.

cappp

Mar 30, 2008
SuperFriendBFG said:
The guy still had legal custody. Also, the Lawyer turned it into a custody battle to increase his chances of winning. All these articles and news reports still don't change the fact that the girl brought a non-abusive dispute with the father to court.
Yes the father had legal custody. So did the mother. The child lived with the mother and was under her supervision. The question the court was considering was one related to which parent had the right to control the actions of the child in that particular arrangement. The lawyer didn't make this into a custody battle - by its very nature it was fundamentally a question of custody and authority.

Further, while the daughter begun the proceedings it was the mother who ultimately chose to proceed with them.

Finally, consider the court's own observation:

"[56] The Superior Court does not become a forum before which a child may come to challenge a punishment imposed by a parent or a mutual agreement. In fact, except in cases where there is injury or threat of physical, moral or psychological, a judge should exercise the utmost restraint when a minor seeks permission to challenge a decision from the exercise of 'parental rights of a parent the other parent does not.

[57] In other words, the Superior Court is not the place to solve the quarrels of a child unsatisfied with the decision of a parent, unless his health, safety or education is jeopardized."

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
Pi_Fighter said:
-_- What is wrong with the world?
I think that all the time. Especially the fact that was I was raised with as discipline is now "child abuse" thats complete bull.

I read the article including the original article and think that the girl needs some serious re-wiring of her brain.

I worry about this "consensual living" arrangement that is going on.......I don't think it seems right.
http://consensual-living.com./
I had to look it up since it was referenced.