Poll: 2015, The end of The Escapist?

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
Like I've said, in terms of content those guys who did Doraleous and Apocalypse Lane have been the Escapist's greatest loss.

AidoZonkey

Musician With A Heart Of Gold
Oct 18, 2011
The escapist is not dead, but it is on life support. It will be crucial for them not to loose anymore content makers for now and just focus on getting new faces in with new content in as soon as possible

cdemares

Jan 5, 2012
Bizzaro Stormy said:
So long as there are people to cry when someone questions their favorite contributors, their sociopolitical views, when someone leaves amicably, when someone leaves not so amicably, when someone is hired, when a list article is written not containing the items they expected, when they act surprised for getting a warning about questioning the mods, so long as they can scream about intolerance because someone has a different point of view, so long as these and the exact opposite viewpoints exist and are posted about the Escapist shall live on! Unless of course the money dries up. That would kill it pretty fast.
Exactly. In our hearts.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Ieyke said:
Padwolf said:
Ieyke said:
Padwolf said:
you pour your heart and soul into it. Then you read threads like these. Now, it's alright for people to say they aren't happy with things. That's fair enough, since opinions and feedback are most important things. But you read all these threads. These constant, negative threads. What happens if someone thinks "Well, fuck this then, no one likes it? I'll shut it down."
Basically all the people who put their heart and soul into this place are gone. The real mystery seem to be why?
I don't know... do you know EVERY person behind the escapist?
All the ones who mattered, yes.
What about the wonderful Moderators we have here, that do a thankless job and get so much abuse for doing it?
There do not seem to be any moderators who should be described as "wonderful". Passable at best.
And that is the exact kind of attitude that proves my point in my first post. I think all the people crying about it are the ones that are going to "doom" the Escapist as it is.

Truglington

Nov 28, 2007
You know what happens when someone predicts the end of something? It doesn't happen. I hear Heaven's Gate is recruiting...

Drakmorg

Local Cat
Aug 15, 2008
I'm not here for any of that jazz any more, so not for me at least. For three years now I've basically just hung around this site because now I've got a clique in the forums. Site's only gonna be dead to me once they ditch the place/break up.

natenate95

Invalid CD key
Nov 5, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnmPZ8_3uL0&feature=youtu.be&list=PL4T1sDYpnBr6oSr1zIUCb5clReSXM8NN1

I found some of what is said in that video podcast to be fairly accurate regarding game outlet sites like this. Personally I have an 06 account on GameTrailers and i barely visit either of these sites much anymore. Social media outlets provide a medium for studios to use themselves, I mean what content truly populates the front pages of these sites from game studios that cannot be found quickly from follow them? I suppose opinion pieces and reviews, but that's an entirely different rant.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
Ieyke said:
Padwolf said:
Ieyke said:
Padwolf said:
you pour your heart and soul into it. Then you read threads like these. Now, it's alright for people to say they aren't happy with things. That's fair enough, since opinions and feedback are most important things. But you read all these threads. These constant, negative threads. What happens if someone thinks "Well, fuck this then, no one likes it? I'll shut it down."
Basically all the people who put their heart and soul into this place are gone. The real mystery seem to be why?
I don't know... do you know EVERY person behind the escapist?
All the ones who mattered, yes.
What about the wonderful Moderators we have here, that do a thankless job and get so much abuse for doing it?
There do not seem to be any moderators who should be described as "wonderful". Passable at best.
I dunno I'm pretty happy with the people who've left.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
I doubt it's going to die.

The site has been making some changes and is currently in the middle of shifting content creators. They have let go of their old ones but the new ones haven't started yet. A lot of the doomsaying is because of the negative attitude a lot of people have since this site is now being seen as "Pro-That which shall not be named".

I know im going to keep coming to the site in the future, even if they stopped making content altogether I would still come just for the forums.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
There have been shakeups and shakedowns here before. I don't believe the site will die as such. I do think it will be different. It will be leaner and likely with less emphasis on expensive video content. But dead? No, there is some life in this site yet.

Adultratedhydra

Aug 19, 2010
There is a difference between "the site is dieing" and Certain people who want to "Say the site is dieing".

IE: Theres people here who are convinced that because the site isnt towing the same line as afew others that its dead and rather than keep that to themselves, their insecurity about the fact that their belief may be wrong is causing them to force it down other peoples throats.

The site has lost some (Questionable in bobs case) Talent (Definately in Jims case) but that doesnt really mean anything.

Look, people can hold any opinion they want, but screaming it to an assorted crowd who dont share your view isnt going to make it any more convincing to them and would most likely just make them question why you are trying to force them to believe such.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Yahtzee is their bread and butter so if he left then this place would take a major hit. An lose a lot of people as well as revenue. I would say it will exist in some form but it will be different.

Apr 24, 2008
How about a little optimism? Do we really think that the departure of Bob and Jim leaves an unfillable void?

There's always more talent out there...

Doesn't seem like it's occurred to many that the site could actually end up better.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
I was thinking about this a little bit and I don't really know if it's fair to say that the Escapist is ending, I do think they really need to replenish some content and quick, and maybe inject a little personality back into the site. Not for nothing but as much as I disagreed with Ross, and with Greg at times, and as much as Movie bob became hard to watch and read toward the end, I knew who was here at the Escapist. That counts for something. But now the escapist is a place without character at the moment and that's a problem. I've grown to expect more then just Yahtzee on this site, and currently there isn't much more. I've not been able to get myself into the new podcast, partly because I'm still sad that the Science and Tech podcast is gone, but maybe I'll get there. But I would like to see more personalities emerge and I think if they can pull that together then I will be more excited to keep coming back.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
I give it roughly a month til The Escapist loses another series, and that's just within the realm of my awareness.
I suppose others could leave before then....

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
No. I won't call it off until I see pretty substantial evidence that this place is going down the drain (literally, a bulletin across the banner saying "Shit's done, yo", the userbase vanishing, or Yahtzee leaving). I think it's a notable phase in The Escapist's history, like the Extra Credits fiasco or Arendt leaving, but everything isn't another nail in the coffin.