Poll: 40mm: N00B T00B or Pro Pipe?

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Bear in mind I only use Bad Company 2 as frame of reference, screw MW2.

The noobtube is annoying, but not when used like it's supposed to as a way to flush your opponents out. My problem with it in BC2 is that the explosion physics are wonky and the wall doesn't absorb any of the impact. The wall would take almost the entire brunt and spray you with debris. The debris would hurt, but almost never be fatal to a soldier, these clearly aren't cinderblock houses. As obnoxious and random as noobtube deaths are, since patch isn't not super rage worthy, not like the goddam Carl Gustav, aka "I just want kills the cheapest way I can."

infernoRS

Apr 26, 2010
Tho it belongs to games in a way like igissx said previously (on page one, edit), it's definitely a n00b tube. What the goddamn skill should be there. Play noscope when you want to show skills. Especially cause they use Danger close in MW2 and Explosive upgrade in BC2. Why? JUST CAUSE!

HuntrRose

Apr 28, 2009
jarredtheawesome said:
p3t3r said:
noob tube in mw2 is noob. in battlefield it is awesome. fuck you wall now your a door.
exactly how i fell and when i dont feel like going in one of those pussy small doors i blow open that shit and its like WELCOME BITCHES IM ABOUT TO FUCK YOU UP!!!!
*giggles from half the map away and puts a bullet through your brainpan*

OT: A weapon can by definition not be anything but a weapon. Only players can...

Oh.. and i'm missing a namechoice, "40 mm Grenade Launcher"

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
mad825 said:
SODAssault said:
In my opinion, it should be called the M203 under-barrel grenade launcher.
so what would you call the M79? o_O

having the name+description as the model name would rather pretty bloated to say and rather pointless, why not call a Geforce 8400M GS and rename it to Geforce 8400M GS external graphics card that goes in the AGP port (or PCI)

at the end of the day, if you have some technical knowledge of an area of a field, having the description in the name is frigging annoying
Hey, to each their own. I'll be scoring headshots with my accurized M24 bolt-action sniper rifle with bipod and 12x scope, and I will scream "eat my accurized M24 bolt-action sniper rifle with bipod and 12x scope" every time I score a kill. I will also bring up my accurized M24 bolt-action sniper rifle with bipod and 12x scope in casual conversation with whomever I encounter.

Sir_Tor

Nov 29, 2009
I have no problems with the occasional use of the 40mm grenade launcher. However if someone is using that weapon 100% of the time THEN I find it to be extremely irritating!

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
PDizzle418 said:
p3t3r said:
fuck you wall now your a door.
you knwo what bugs me about this. is that a 40mm grenade makes a 6 by 6 foot hole in a wall of brick and concrete. I'm no expert in explosive but I feel like the biggest a 40mm could do would be about a 4 foot scorch mark with maybe a 5 inch hole and a bunch of missing concrete, it wouldn't turn a wall into nothing in a second. it might break the hell out of it but not destroy it the way BC2 makes it appear. I realize it's for gameplay and ease of use but you'd think they could have made it take out like half as much as an rpg or something. even though both the RPG and AT4 are shaped charges but that's another discussion not related to c
ncussive force.
I trained on the 203, and I admit it is a fun weapon. Easy to use, simple to teach a average trained soldier to use (this goes out to the post about it being hard to train and expensive, sorry wrong on both) almost zero recoil it surpises you when there is almost none...

BC2 is well... if you shot a 40mm at dry wall yeah it's gonna fragment and boom maybe a 3x3 hole? But it's made to send metal shards to kill/maim people. You hit a car...it's gonna kill people inside it or mess them up they will die soon.... but if it hits any hardened wall you not doing well....much at all. A light armored BTR, you might do enough to make a small hole which in turn will send some metal inside armored vehicle and might kill one of the crew. Anything thicker your just wasting ammo, you might make the guy inside almost wet himself when it makes a big boom...The 40mm itself is a shaped charge, but not the way people think. It is shaped for a cone shaped explosion yes. But it's only for anti-personel and very light vehicle pentration. Not the complex sabot rounds made to penatrate 18 inches of armor.

Yet, it's not something to be just ignored. But in Modern warfare, those juggernaught suits? Don't care how cool the old bomb blast suits are modified. Your in the center of a 40mm round, your not standing after it goes off. And you not standing up for a good 15 seconds till your brain reset if you wasn't turned into a fine jelly from the shock wave. But you can't make games to real....

People just seem to be upset when 203's fly, but unlike say America's army in the day. That game forced you to have fire teams with 1 grenade launcher, 2 rifle men with only m-16's, lucky a SAW M-249, and a balance... when everyone is allowed to just grab high explosives and the heavy machine gun...pfft why not.

Why have a rifle man/spotter assigned to a sniper when the sniper can have a perk and just have a autoshot gun in his second slot?

But games will be games. And people want real weapons...they just don't want to use them in real ways. No use real tactics... just shoot and boom.

Jun 11, 2008
Hurr Durr Derp said:
Glademaster said:
Hurr Durr Derp said:
Daipire said:
Hurr Durr Derp said:
There's no such thing as pro or noob weapons. Just pro or noob players.
Bull honkey, tell me that when a swarm of idiots run around with tact knives, or the AA, or akimbo 1887s, or in this case, the tube.

No chance the weapons are balanced, like the f2000 compared to the acr, or the ump to the mp5k.

The only thing balanced is probably the sniper weapons, but even then, you can still kill someone across the map with an acr
Let me guess, you're one of those types who thinks anything people easily kill you with is "cheap", and you refuse to use those weapons because you've got a sense of "honor"? Am I right?

Balance has absolutely nothing to do with being noob or pro, except that you have to know about the (lack of) balance if you want to be pro. Apart from that, stop whining and learn to play the game.
I have to disagree with this completely. Taking Gw as my example nearly all of the top guilds used Balanced Team GvG build or some variation of it. All the lower ranked ones use gimped out of balance builds for some easy BP so yes being pro is knowing how to use the best weapons and not about abusing lack of balance. Abusing lack of balance is for noobs.
Explain to me the difference between using the best weapons and making use of a lack of balance.
Well to go to GW we don't go by weapons as all weapons are the same but to go by skillbars and continue my previous example two imbalanced uilds come to mind that were nerfed and while in use hated by the comminty. Signet Smiter Sin and Toucher Ranger. Toucher Ranger abused the ranger's expertise attribute to take Necro touch skills that drained life combined with their high ele armor and block skills to become nearly invicible being only properly stoppable by a Mesmer. Signet Smiter worked by just spaming knocklock on the enemy monk rinse and repeat. That was it the builds required no skill or proper use of skill bar.

With Toucher you just pressed 1&2 with Signet you just spammed skill bar and waited for it to recharge with no strategy of using the knocklock unlike say the Quarter Knock of a Hammer Warrior which requires skill and practise and can be countered by conventional skills. That is the difference. Anything you have to go above and beyond the Call Of Duty to stop, avoid or counter is imbalanced and noobish.

While noob tubes can be like this if they are used as a player's sole weapon they can be used in a balanced manner if they are used to get hard to hit kills or enemies hiding in cover but this rarely the case with noobtubers thus the name.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Glademaster said:
Hurr Durr Derp said:
Explain to me the difference between using the best weapons and making use of a lack of balance.
Well to go to GW we don't go by weapons as all weapons are the same but to go by skillbars and continue my previous example two imbalanced uilds come to mind that were nerfed and while in use hated by the comminty. Signet Smiter Sin and Toucher Ranger. Toucher Ranger abused the ranger's expertise attribute to take Necro touch skills that drained life combined with their high ele armor and block skills to become nearly invicible being only properly stoppable by a Mesmer. Signet Smiter worked by just spaming knocklock on the enemy monk rinse and repeat. That was it the builds required no skill or proper use of skill bar.

With Toucher you just pressed 1&2 with Signet you just spammed skill bar and waited for it to recharge with no strategy of using the knocklock unlike say the Quarter Knock of a Hammer Warrior which requires skill and practise and can be countered by conventional skills. That is the difference. Anything you have to go above and beyond the Call Of Duty to stop, avoid or counter is imbalanced and noobish.

While noob tubes can be like this if they are used as a player's sole weapon they can be used in a balanced manner if they are used to get hard to hit kills or enemies hiding in cover but this rarely the case with noobtubers thus the name.
I still don't see you answering my question: What is the difference between "using the best strategy/weapon/whatever" and "abusing a lack of balance"? I understand that some weapons or tactics can be unbalanced, but what makes you decide that one imbalance is "pro" and another imbalance is "noob"?

Apart from that, how does all of this this imply that overpowered weapons are "noob" weapons (or tactics)? If a weapon is more powerful than the rest, why wouldn't a pro player use that weapon? After all, pro gamers play to win, which means they won't restrict themselves to weak weapons just because they're harder to use. Using a weapon because you think it's cooler or more balanced is great, but it has absolutely nothing to do with being a pro player.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
In BC2 they're pretty useful. In MW2 I think they're a bit unnessesary. The thumper is alright since it is it's own weapon and has a long reload, plus switching to it/back to main is slow. But as an attachment, particularily a first attachment, is pretty dumb. I don't entirely mind them, I don't really think they're all that cheap, but I do think they bring a little imbalance because they can easily be abused. Even in BC2 I just sat on top of an ammo box and fired at a house until I brought the whole thing down with 3 Destruction 2.0 kills.

GBlair88

Jan 10, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
In the middle?

Used in moderation, it's fine.

Used as your primary source of attack, HELL NO.
Pretty much this.

Using BC2 as an example it's ok to use the UGL to kill large groups of enemies in a small area/an enemy in cover, or to make a door or as a secondary weapon for if you need to kill someone without reloading. Spawning in, selecting the UGL and running around the map blasting everyone at point blank range is noobish.

pelopelopelo

Sep 4, 2009
The attachable grenade for the M1 Garand in CoD: World At War became known as the 'uber noober' because we played it offline in small groups and it had to be banned - when there are three people on the map and you've got two grenades it's ridiculously easy to get kills with.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
Hurr Durr Derp said:
There's no such thing as pro or noob weapons. Just pro or noob players.
You speak the truth.
It might just be because I suck, but aiming the grenade launcher just right so that it actually hits someone requires alot of skill. So long as you don't spam it, I've no trouble with you using it.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Eukaryote said:
It is hard for noobs to get kills with the 40mm. Once you play enough you learn to adjust for long range and can get amazing kills with it.
yes, there is no noob weapon on any game, my friend loves the 40mm since COD:MW, and now he is quite a pro!

Mr. In-between

Apr 7, 2010
People who ***** about those who play with certain weapons in FPS games have one of two options:

1. Suck it up and get better
2. Stop playing

Seriously, just because you crouch and sneak around like you've actually left your parent's basement and served in the armed forces doesn't mean that you know what you are doing. In reality, you're more of a "n00b" than the person using the grenade launcher because you aren't good enough to avoid it.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
The fact that people would even consider verbally abusing each other over trivialities such as this is just one of the many reasons I continually refuse to play any form of competitive multiplayer. Really, it's just sad.

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
I only use it when i'm bored which is all the time.

OT:If you abuse is stupidly power then yes it could be bad

Jun 11, 2008
Hurr Durr Derp said:
Glademaster said:
Hurr Durr Derp said:
Well to go to GW we don't go by weapons as all weapons are the same but to go by skillbars and continue my previous example two imbalanced builds come to mind that were nerfed and while in use hated by the comminty. Signet Smiter Sin and Toucher Ranger. Toucher Ranger abused the ranger's expertise attribute to take Necro touch skills that drained life combined with their high ele armor and block skills to become nearly invicible being only properly stoppable by a Mesmer. Signet Smiter worked by just spaming knocklock on the enemy monk rinse and repeat. That was it the builds required no skill or proper use of skill bar.

I still don't see you answering my question: What is the difference between "using the best strategy/weapon/whatever" and "abusing a lack of balance"? I understand that some weapons or tactics can be unbalanced, but what makes you decide that one imbalance is "pro" and another imbalance is "noob"?

Apart from that, how does all of this this imply that overpowered weapons are "noob" weapons (or tactics)? If a weapon is more powerful than the rest, why wouldn't a pro player use that weapon? After all, pro gamers play to win, which means they won't restrict themselves to weak weapons just because they're harder to use. Using a weapon because you think it's cooler or more balanced is great, but it has absolutely nothing to do with being a pro player.
Seriously you have never played in even anything midly competitive have you? In PB mod in CoD4 which is the competitive mod in standard tournaments you are stuck to using Stopping Power and Deep Impact only as perks with as far as I remember all shotguns removed the P90 aswell and a few other things as well. Speaking of which a big no no in competitive play in CoD4 was 40mils. In more lax tournaments you are allowed a bit more freedom but fuck all allows you to fully use everything there is nearly always some limitation especially on tubes and P90. To use another example Akuma is banned from competitive SF matches and so are certain Yu-Gi-Oh cards as well until recently Legendaries from competitve pokemon games. Everywhere you look in competitve world of gaming there are restrictions.

In a balanced game there is no best the is no best anything something can always be countered and beat with another strategy that is why something that is imbalanced requires a special strategy/tactic/skill or whatever outside of normal use or conventional gameplay to counter it. There is no such thing as using an imbalanced weapon and being pro. Nothing imbalanced can even be considered pro. To go back to Guild Wars 90% of the top guilds use the Balanced Team GvG build. Very few using gimmicky shit. Besides that I never even implied an imbalanced strategy was pro and as I have mentioned and given plenty of examples of these imbalanced aspects being removed from competitve play if not from conventional play by Devs.