Poll: 61 Percent of Britons Believe Games Cause Violence

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
A pollster will always get the results he wants just by wording his questions a certain way. So this is more like 61% of Britons polled by manipulative pollsters believe it.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
There goes my Gran again. Welcome to the land of tutting and casual racism.

Briton also ranks very high in percentage of believers that the NASA moon landings were faked. Ringo is a GOOD drummer. And Katie Price is in any way interesting or noteworthy. And let's just not even mention One Direction.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
FoxKitsune said:
The results here don't surprise me at all. The problem is our country has become increasingly violent, and there are areas where people tend to be scared to go out at night. My area's not a bad one, and I'm nervous after dark too. What's more, it's always the same thing you worry about, `kids`, teenagers with an attitude and little sense. I suppose the logic train goes that teenagers are and kids are getting dangerous, teenagers and kids play games; ergo, games cause violence.
That's not true either. Just as Shamus pointed out in another article regarding the US, violent crime in Britain is way down from the mid nineties.

"Consistent with EU trends,[4] the Crime Survey for England and Wales 2011/2012 figures[5] show that crime in the UK is currently at its lowest level in 30 years, having decreased dramatically from its peak in 1995. For example, 4.2 million violent crimes were counted in 1995 compared to 1.94 million in 2011/2012."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_the_United_Kingdom

The fact that violent crime has actually nosedived while violent videogames have become popular is a huge problem for any "videogames cause violence" hypothesis. Or at least it would be if the anti-gaming crusaders were interested in facts. But there is some hope that if we draw enough attention to these highly commendable crime statistics, politicians will be hesitant to act as if they weren't true.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
Polls are bullshit(Fuck you Frank Luntz,) it's all in how the question is phrased.

No shit games can cause real world violence and aggression. A guy was shot over freaking monopoly game dispute like a month or two ago. If you find the right person then yeah no shit a game can make them agitated enough to lash out, or give them dumb ideas. But so can a ton of other shit like sports or the bible.

But if the question was phrased "do videogames turn children into murderers" you can bet the poll would be slanted the other way. Because practically no one actually believes that. Because again, that would be idiotic.

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
JamesBr said:
Wow, a Godwin on the first post. Impressive. At least they stated that this "mixed view" is likely to disappear with age.
Yes fellow human poster, I too fully look forward to, with great anticipation, the impending death of all the elderly humans, thus fixing this poll. That's obviously the priority here.

On the lighter side, 43% of of the people that took this poll are really angry.

GladiatorUA

Jun 1, 2013
Funnily enough, with the way the first statement is presented, I would also say YES.

"They CAN BE(!) A(!!!) cause of real-world violence and aggression". Yes! Absolutely! The problem is with how this will be interpreted by the media. And it doesn't go into how much real-world violence and aggression they actually cause. But they CAN, and they probably aren't the sole cause in most of the cases. Especially aggression.
If you say it's not true, please state your extraordinary evidence for your extraordinary all-inclusive claim.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Why are we asking people ignorant on the subject what they think?
No one thought the car would be successful, computers, video game consoles.
It's like the people yelling about 'things' causing health issues when they have no degree or knowledge in things, it's not valid statement.

ThreeName

May 8, 2013
No, they believe they can cause violence. Not that they necessarily do. It's also statistically inaccurate, because they left out everyone who didn't have an opinion.

What a bullshit headline. Disgrace.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Well, that's because video games DO cause aggression and violence. They really do, but we know it more as 'Raging'.
Ever seen a young person, hell, even adults play Call of Duty? They rage and they scream, and I'm betting that parents, partners and family members of people who play videogames have seen this, and voted in the poll.
Also all reasons mentioned above.

Kids do not deal well with competitive multiplayer videogames.

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
More information here:

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2013/09/23/gamers-less-worried-about-violence-video-games/

Caramel Frappe said:
Doesn't color me surprised. If we had a poll if Football season, or heck the Superbowl causes violence I would assume many would vote 'Yes it does.' I do wish to ask though, have these people who've voted tried playing violent video games? Have they subjected themselves to see firsthand if it affects them in any manner?
Rather than the headline of 61% of Britons believe games can cause violence (a flawed question as others have been saying), the most important thing to take away from this research is these numbers drop significantly when asking people who have actually played them. If you have spend anytime playing a FPS or fighting game you know that you are unlikely to be affected in any seriously negative way.

ISearchForTraps

Jun 22, 2009
Loki_The_Good said:
Wow first America then Britain you guys need to get your crap together. Also no need to do such a study here in Canada, nope, we're totally not that naive here. Come on guys let me revel in our seeming superiority for another week. Fine 3 days.... One? Lalalala not listening.
Yeah, because the views of OLDER Britons is indicative of the population as a whole. As a young Briton (under 30), I can say this view is not shared by most people who actually play games, the whole violence cased by video games has NEVER been proven, and you'd have to be an idiot to believe that they do.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
"Can be" =/= "Are".

Personally, I think that they can be a catalyst for real-life aggression if they fall into the wrong hands. Stating the obvious, those who are too young or impressionable should not be playing games which reward violence. No sugar-coating it, there is an effect when you expose impressionable teenagers to a game which says "kill as many people as possible" and glamorises mindless violence towards 3D representations of human beings.

People are right to believe that, but wrong if they think that it makes non-violent, balanced adults into axe-wielding murderers. Adults who become violent after playing games have something wrong with them in the first place.