Poll: A Dungeons and Dragons TV Show?

DrgoFx

Aug 30, 2011
Alright so I have not posted in I think two years? I can't remember when my last post was, but something came to my mind and I'ma post it here. Would anyone else like to see a Dungeons and Dragons TV Show in a similar style to Dorkness Rising? For those that don't know what Dorkness Rising is, it was an internet comedy where the perspective shifted between the real world of the party and their adventures in the campaign setting. They played off a lot of jokes like the wizard forgetting he was a girl sometimes, so in the campaign perspective, he was wearing a dress. Aside from the wizard, every actor from the real world played their fantasy counterparts.

The reason I'm asking, in all honesty, is that I have a group of very talented individuals on board with the idea and willing to help me make it a reality. I think this project would be a success, but I want to see if the "rest of the world" would be? Now granted, casting hasn't even been done as of yet, but the arcing plot for a season has been done, the script for the pilot has been done, places for shooting to be done has been researched, a small group of blacksmiths have been recruited for prop making, a make-up artist/costumier has also been recruited, as well as a few other things. So I have no doubt in my mind that I can make this project a reality, I just want to know if it would gather attention.

UPDATE EDIT: We are considering to change up the modules every so often, it's a goal of ours, but we want to at least establish something first. To clarify everything, there would technically be two plotlines through out the season; the campaign plot and the real-world drama plot.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I'm thinkin' DnD is a bit past its prime for good television. If you want hilarity to ensue, turn to greener pastures and a wider variety of games. Why not involve Shadowrun, Exalted, or Conspiracy X? Call of Cthulhu - Original, Nocturne, and Arkham Horror? Changeling: The Lost, Star Wars D20, or even Ninja Burger?

Hell, make a show in which all of these and more get used, and THEN we'll talk entertainment.

Thomas Barnsley

Mar 8, 2012
FalloutJack said:
I'm thinkin' DnD is a bit past its prime for good television. If you want hilarity to ensue, turn to greener pastures and a wider variety of games. Why not involve Shadowrun, Exalted, or Conspiracy X? Call of Cthulhu - Original, Nocturne, and Arkham Horror? Changeling: The Lost, Star Wars D20, or even Ninja Burger?

Hell, make a show in which all of these and more get used, and THEN we'll talk entertainment.
It could go by season; season 1 is DnD because it is THE table top rpg that most people know of, then move on to the ones you suggested in the next seasons.

I would be very interested in Shadowrun and Call of Cthulhu. Make those seasons 2 and 3, OP.

Also, do you know of Darths and Droids? This idea of yours reminds me of that web comic. Which is good, btw. It's a great series.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Thomas Barnsley said:
Also, do you know of Darths and Droids? This idea of yours reminds me of that web comic. Which is good, btw. It's a great series.
Not particularly. The games I rattled off are from my own personal experiences in which most of people involved did some crazy shit or the game was crazy shit. I have anecdotes of madness, I say!

mrhateful

True Gamer
Apr 8, 2010
I don't really want a DND show as that would just be cheesy as fuck, since dnd is purely a means to create a story, a framework if you will. However would I like a movie or tv show set in Faerun(Forgotten Realms) HELL YES!

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Only if it has important dragons to go with all those dungeons. A lot of DnD stuff seems to forget about that little detail and end up throwing in a random dragon enemy just for the hell of it [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/InstantAwesomeJustAddDragons].

Aside from that, unless it's a parody of traditional fantasy tropes, it should probably try to be a little different,
otherwise it will just get lost in a sea of samey things.

Shadowrun... now that would be interesting.

UniversalRonin

Nov 14, 2012
Thomas Barnsley said:
FalloutJack said:
Snippity.
Snip.
Oh, ooh, Ninja'd. Well and truly ninjad. By both of you. I was thinking that you could have a main story arc around the people playing, and see how they react to real world things that happened in their games as well. so, in the game they gave the beggar a meal in exchange for information, in the real world they walked past the homeless guy in case he mugged them. Or maybe even the real world could start getting strange and eventually they end up performing feats similar to their characters, ya know, breaking into sinister Government or Corp buildings & etc. I dunno. The more I write the more it's getting cheesy. In a tie-dye-totally-awesome-neon-colours-and-destinies-child-booh-yah-90's kinda way.

But still, you guys firstly ninja'd what I was going to say, and then what I was going to reply to the guy who ninja's what I was going to say. YAY!!!! Happiness!

EDIT: In for a penny, as they say. Why not make a game show spin off? Where every week a group of friends have to navigate real world mazes, labyrinths or dungeons, with funny traps, people dressed in costume, class skills, & etc. Hey- bring on the cheese. Cheesy cheesy cheese. Cheese. Even get Noel Edmonds to be the DM and host it.

Thomas Barnsley

Mar 8, 2012
LordJedi86 said:
Thomas Barnsley said:
FalloutJack said:
Snippity.
Snip.
Oh, ooh, Ninja'd. Well and truly ninjad. By both of you. I was thinking that you could have a main story arc around the people playing, and see how they react to real world things that happened in their games as well. so, in the game they gave the beggar a meal in exchange for information, in the real world they walked past the homeless guy in case he mugged them. Or maybe even the real world could start getting strange and eventually they end up performing feats similar to their characters, ya know, breaking into sinister Government or Corp buildings & etc. I dunno. The more I write the more it's getting cheesy. In a tie-dye-totally-awesome-neon-colours-and-destinies-child-booh-yah-90's kinda way.

But still, you guys firstly ninja'd what I was going to say, and then what I was going to reply to the guy who ninja's what I was going to say. YAY!!!! Happiness!
The real world action vs role play action idea sounds very interesting! I was thinking itd be set in the one room IRL and spend the rest of the budget on making the in game world live up to the imagination, but your idea could be interesting.

Also I think Cyberpunk should be one of the seasons. Or is that too similar to shadowrun?

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
There was a D&D tv show. I never watched it myself, but it was an 80s cartoon [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons_%28TV_series%29].

...yeeeeaaaaaaah. That's not going to be too hard for you to beat.

UniversalRonin

Nov 14, 2012
Thomas Barnsley said:
LordJedi86 said:
Thomas Barnsley said:
FalloutJack said:
Snippity.
Snip.
snipping!
The real world action vs role play action idea sounds very interesting! I was thinking itd be set in the one room IRL and spend the rest of the budget on making the in game world live up to the imagination, but your idea could be interesting.

Also I think Cyberpunk should be one of the seasons. Or is that too similar to shadowrun?
If they can get the rights to an actual Shadowrun Season, that would be AMAZING! It would be brilliant to take as many different RPG concepts as practical, and do it. Obviously not done to death- a run of 4 or 5 seasons perhaps, but if it was all medieval or futuristic, that would probably get old. Even try to find something that the characters are clearly culturally out of their depth with (assuming it's a western made show) try and find a very eastern RPG.

Jan 12, 2012
If you're going to make it, go for it, but I don't know how popular it would be on regular television. Maybe you could get a subscription service like Nexflix or Amazon to sponsor you, but most of the projects I've seen like this are internet series (where you can get away with 10-minutes episodes and low prop budgets).

I also cast my vote for switching up the systems every once in a while. You can even keep using the same actors to play the characters and NPCs; how many GMs recycling bit characters to save them from inventing new ones.

DrgoFx

Aug 30, 2011
Bumping this because I'm intrigued by the responses I'm getting.

On the subject of different rulebooks, we are considering that and really want to do just that. Shadowrun is something we really want to recreate, but at our current standpoint, we feel starting with medieval fantasy would be a safer route.

To clear up a few things, what we are aiming for is that along with the fantasy storyline of the campaign, the real world has an over-arcing "plot" to it. These characters interact very close with each other, and tabletop isn't all they do together. We don't want too many sub plots running around, so we're simplifying it to a bit of tension between three of the six characters we have written. There are a lot of ideas running around for this series, and I honestly just don't want to spill everything so soon without even having the casting being done. We will be casting people in February, the audition script is written to completion.

We are actually planning to use Pathfinder as the first module as I personally enjoy Pathfinder a lot more than 3.5. We will also be using some of pathfinder's "original" classes and themes.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Eclipse Dragon said:
Oh, I'd kill to see a show set during the Dunkelzahn Election.
But who do you get to voice Dunkelzahn? Or possibly even Lofwyr?

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
I would be intrigued but alas, concept is a far thing from quality. It could definitely work if done well. I'll have to check out this Dorkness Rising.

While on the subject a board game themed show could work well too. Risk and Monopoly could make for interesting scenes, and we all know how seriously people start to take them once it starts getting bout 4am and the roles go out of favor.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
Eclipse Dragon said:
Oh, I'd kill to see a show set during the Dunkelzahn Election.
But who do you get to voice Dunkelzahn? Or possibly even Lofwyr?
Ironically, the best voice to play the later-assassinated dragon-president would be someone who is dead himself: Tony Jay.

Or, perhaps what we would need is a case of Kain and Raziel using their cultured voices to play ancient dragons.

Somehow, David Warner needs to get involved as well.

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
Hell yeah.
I can't believe nobody's mentioned Standard Action yet: http://standardaction.zombieorpheus.com/watch/
Surprisingly good considering their shoestring budget.

Sould1n

Jan 23, 2011
Thomas Barnsley said:
FalloutJack said:

It could go by season; season 1 is DnD because it is THE table top rpg that most people know of, then move on to the ones you suggested in the next seasons.

I would be very interested in Shadowrun and Call of Cthulhu. Make those seasons 2 and 3, OP.

The first thing I thought of upon seeing this topic was Darths and Droids. Glad to see a few already mention it in this thread.

The prospect of a show where it focuses on both the character's real lives and then the group playing Dungeons and Dragons sounds like a very entertaining one, open to interesting ideas. So yeah, I'd love to see it happen.