Poll: A Rant About Emulation!

Swishdude

Nov 21, 2009
I invite you to listen to me go on a brief little rant about video game emulation.

Video can be found at the following link, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP7sZaIBBis do not continue posting the video links further.-Mod Edit

I know everyone here at the Escapist can be super opinionated about emulation, so let's hear it. Do you feel emulation is wrong or right?

excalipoor

Jan 16, 2011
It's fine! So much more convenient slapping a controller on my laptop to play my PS1 library, instead of plugging in the ol' PS2. I don't know if my MegaDrive even works anymore, or if it's compatible with my current TV.

Perfectly legal too. Of course, that sort of works on the honor system...

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Sadly I gave away my Sega Genesis and my Comix Zone cartridge
I love that game, it is really awesome
But now my only option is playing Comix Zone on emulator :(

ghostman725

Jun 8, 2012
I would like to see all hardware and software companies endorsed and advertise emulation software and games. It would certainly been cheaper for them the company as they do not have to update the game to fit a new console, which it seems Nintendo are doing with a lot of their classic games.

It in turn would keep things cheaper for the customers and a lot simpler too. I dont really fancy buying points for my profile to download a game which can be done for cheaper and a lot better on pc.

Swishdude

Nov 21, 2009
excalipoor said:
It's fine! So much more convenient slapping a controller on my laptop to play my PS1 library, instead of plugging in the ol' PS2. I don't know if my MegaDrive even works anymore, or if it's compatible with my current TV.

Most of the Sega CD games I own I play on an emulator to be honest. It just does the trick, especially when I'm recording something for a video!

already in use

Nov 29, 2011
Emulation is nice.

It would just be a pain in the bum to cram out my n64, search all trough the
house for a controller that hasnt been totally runed by mario party, buy a TV and
3 adapters to connect the old thing just to play Majoras Mask in 240p and 19 something fps.

You want to try out an old console game that had something unique or great?
Good luck buying hunks of old plastic from ebay or garage sales and then hunting
down a copy of the game for an inflated price.
Playing that old game would cost you an unjustifiable amount of money, time and living room space,
so youd just say ``nah´´ and forget it.

If the copyrightowners are not interested in selling and making their older games accessible
i see no reason not to use an emulator.

WickedFire

Apr 25, 2011
blackrave said:
Sadly I gave away my Sega Genesis and my Comix Zone cartridge
I love that game, it is really awesome
But now my only option is playing Comix Zone on emulator :(
Actually, there is another option: http://store.steampowered.com/app/34272/

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
excalipoor said:

Well, as long as you own the license (either have the physical game or can prove you purchased it through XBLA, PSN, Steam or similar); if you don't then you cannot download or play the ROM. Nothing "honour system" about that.

I am all for emulators. All consoles should have one installed, not withstanding compatibility with all games. It opens up the entire library of games for that system (orignal NES/Superfamicon on a Wii-U anyone?) and gets rid of some of the lack backwards incompatibility issue.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I'm personally of the opinion that if almost anything that has been available in a digital format isn't published in a format available to the public within ten years, anyone should be able to do with it as they please. Including emulating it, ripping the code from whatever media it exists on into a more durable format, and so on.

Copyright law, of course, doesn't agree with this idea. But then, copyright law has been turned into a brutal and perverted monstrosity in the last few decades, and ought to be killed with a stake and mallet and rewritten from the ground up.

excalipoor

Jan 16, 2011
Triaed said:
Well, as long as you own the license (either have the physical game or can prove you purchased it through XBLA, PSN, Steam or similar); if you don't then you cannot download or play the ROM. Nothing "honour system" about that.
There's absolutely nothing beyond your own sensibilities stopping you from downloading whatever you want. Nobody is ever going to come knocking to find out whether you have the license or not. It's legal as long as you play by the rules, but the rules aren't enforced. So yes, I'd call that an honor system.

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
excalipoor said:
Triaed said:
There's absolutely nothing beyond your own sensibilities stopping you from downloading whatever you want. Nobody is ever going to come knocking to find out whether you have the license or not. It's legal as long as you play by the rules, but the rules aren't enforced. So yes, I'd call that an honor system.
I am not going to start a flame war (I've never had), but that statement is wrong. Just because a company can't or won't exercise their right to come after you for illegally downloading a ROM does not mean that they do not have the right and ownership of that intellectual property.

I'll concede the few cases when the software has become public domain or even the gray area of abandoned rights (abandonware).

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
My golden role for downloading emulations is - can I still buy this in a way that will financially benefit the people who made the game? If the answer is no then I see no problem with downloading a free version, it's why I haven't ever downloaded an emulated version of say Super Mario Kart onto my pc.

Joos

Golden pantaloon.
Dec 19, 2007
I never heard anyone say that emulation is wrong. I've only heard people say that they heard other people say that emulation is wrong. Never first hand though. However, dling roms you don't own the cartridge/disk/whatever obsolete medium you will is questionable though.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
If the company is no longer able to make money on the sale of said game or console, I see no problem with it.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
I'm not understanding the controversy, if there is in fact one? The OP isn't encouraging pirate roms and such. He is begging the old school game companies to release there old shit in an officially emulated form to run on a new system, for money even. That seems like a fair and reasonable idea no matter which way you look at it.

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
When a console manufacturer give up backwards-compatibility for its new generation, I have never felt bad about emulating. It's really the only way your average person can keep the classics from the N64 and PS1 alive! I'm also of the atitude that when the original content creator/publisher no longer makes the product available for purchase (it is only available second-hand) it's not a problem downloading that game from a filesharing site.

I have a small PC set up by my TV specifically dedicated to N64 emulation and movie watching. Have my XBOX controller hooked up, so I can enjoy all the old classics from my childhood without having to dig out an entire console with its many cables and attachments every time I'm looking for some Bad Fur Day action!

I had a dream that the PS4 would be capable of playing all the old games, from PS1 to the new games ment for the new console. I can't really see why they couldn't manufacture a more expensive backwards-compatible console for those of us who want it. They say the only reason they don't do it is because it's too expensive, well make it an item you have to order in advance! Not to mention how strong a library of games the PS4 would have if it could play all games for the previous consoles... Thats a huge selection of amazing stuff!

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Considering I enjoy playing things like EVO and FFVI, and it's nearly impossible to find those these days, no, I don't think it's wrong to have a free download version of a game that the odds are extremely stacked against you at acquiring.

The same reason I don't find issue when I find old-as-hell movies at their full-length on Youtube. If they've been out between ten to twenty years or more, it's a safe bet they will not only be somewhat difficult to find, but nearly impossible if it's a game.

Now, if you're emulating more modern shit like DS or 3DS games, I find that a bit wrong. That's no different than pirating, in my opinion.