Poll: A social/national stereotype experiment in regards to ME3 and its ending.

Dakkagor

Sep 5, 2011
As above, so below. I have an interesting theory about the fan reaction about ME3 that I would like to collect some empirical evidence on.

The hypothesis:

PLEASE READ ONLY AFTER FILLING IN THE POLL, AS THIS WILL SKEW THE RESULT. THANKYOU.

I think that national character has a great deal to do with how people react to the end of Mass Effect 3. While National character (or, 'stereotypes') are not the be all and end all of a persons personality, culture expectations in storytelling will colour your response to the end of a game like Mass effect, especially when there is a great deal of emotional investment.

To whit; most British people I have spoken too are very happy with the original ending. I believe that this is because most British people are very fatalist, and somewhat whimsical. Their home grown science fiction (with the notable exception of modern Doctor Who) is often very hopeless. It often revolves around a clash of modern culture against another, much more advanced culture, or it represents a used future where we have as a species have failed, or are about to fail. And we lose, or if we win, it is at such terrible and phyric cost that the victory was barely worth winning. For example, 1984, Warhammer 40,000, Judge Dredd, The Last Train. Often mankind is in its last days, and mere survival is justly hailed as victory. I think this springs from the national experience in world war two. They won the war, but at what cost? They owed the Americans millions, the economy was in ruins, and the empire was falling apart. Victory had come at a high price, and terrible sacrifices of both the European allies and their own people had been asked for and given. Does this start to sound familiar?

Now, the other side of the pond. I once heard it said that Americans don?t just love winners. They love people that win big. Not only must you win, but it must be crushing. Not only should your victory be total, it must be publicised. Everyone must know that you won, and the other guy never stood a chance. Very often American popular Science Fiction features aliens or threats with a single point of weakness, that when exploited, wraps up the whole thing neatly. I think this stems from victory over Japan using nuclear weapons: a secret weapons project defeats a powerful enemy at the last minute of the War. Again, does that sound familiar? That idea, and the Alien mothership trope, make up the end of most Hollywood produced science fiction movies. Star Wars is an excellent example of this: kill the Emperor, destroy the Death Star, peace in the galaxy. That, and the fact that for America World War Two was the best thing to happen to the country. They where owed millions by their allies, had access to the most powerful technologies on earth, and had extended the reach of their economy across the globe. The USA went from an isolationist state to a global super power, with an economic boom to match.

Now, Mass Effect 3. In many ways the story changes right at the end, it?s a sucker punch: you build a super weapon, that doesn?t work as advertised or intended. Ignore the other problems with the ending and focus on that: The Super weapon doesn?t fix everything. The implication that even if you save the galaxy, it will still be in ruins from the destruction of the Mass relays and most of the citadels species economies and infrastructure.
The British have lived through that. It was the end of the World War two. So far, their American cousins have not. While there are moments where one battle wins the war in Mass Effect (for instance, the destruction of the reaper on Rannoch), by and large, the game is a death march to the moment Shepard dies firing the crucible. And I think that, more than anything, is why Mass Effect 3 was so unpopular with American audiences, and why most British gamers where happy with it.

In my own personal experience (As a Briton) I loved ME3, and thought the ending took a lot of guts from the writers. They where right not to have an easy fix, right not to change the end with the new DLC. The ending is what it was always meant to be: a demonstration that sometimes, no matter what you do, or how much you struggle, the galaxy will still spit in your face and crush your efforts. Does that make the journey, or the effort, less worth while? No. Shepard, and those that fought with him, remain heroes for trying anyway, because success was never guaranteed.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
I am Belgian and I'm ambivalent.

I found the ending to be lackluster, but that wasn't enough to ruin the game for me. Most games have bad to mediocre endings in my opinion, except they don't have some very touching and heartfelt moments, like the final moments of certain characters in ME3.
Mordin, Legion and Thane. Especially Thane. How many other games do you know where you visit a terminally ill friend in a hospital while he's on his deathbed?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Well I'm Australian, so nyaaahh!

Also, I think you're giving the writers way too much credit.

And even if you are interpreting their aims correctly, their execution of those aims still stinks.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
The poll has the opposite result to what you were expecting at the moment. (Though admittedly, not many people have voted on it yet)

Anyway, I'm English, and me and everyone I know who has played the game hated the ending. Also, the hatred of the original ending isn't even a matter of opinion, really. It failed on the most basic technical levels, such as making a small amount of sense, or showing the player what the hell actually happened / was happening. Even Bioware themselves have admitted that the message they were trying send with the original ending did not come across correctly.

You can like it of course, but it's akin to liking a spoon with a hole drilled in its centre. No matter how great you think it is, it's not going to pick up any soup, and hence fails as a spoon.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
right now the only thing it shows conclusively is that at this point in time most people here are neither british nor american.
i am German and i disliked the ending because it failed at a fundamental level because it pulls something you were incapable to see coming right out of its ass and then just stops without relating to everything except the last 5 min.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
I'm American and I hated it.

But this had nothing to do with the 'lack of crushing victory' as you put it.
Rather, it is because ME3's ending was so horribly written that...
1) it turned the entire plot of ME1 into a giant plot hole.
2) it completely disregarded our choices up to that point.
3) even after the EC, it still makes the Reapers look ridiculous.
4) All of the endings (even the new one) betray a key theme of the series, which was... 'uniting in spite of differences.'

And, I also once proposed a much more depressing ending than anything Bioware came up with...
where the galaxy is saved, but Shepard is one of the few humans left in the galaxy... and humanity as a whole is pretty much going extinct as a result of this war no matter what happens.
Just before the end, we see Shepard throwing his/her gun down at the Council, refusing to work for them any further, shouting "I warned you!" Before leaving.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
American, hated it. The extended cut made no difference in my opinion, too.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
I'm canadian and always had mixed feeling about the ending both original and EC... trought EC did improuve it

dreadedcandiru99

Apr 13, 2009
American here, and I hated the ending for two basic reasons: (1) because it failed as the ending to a story--that is, it was fundamentally, logically, technically, thematically bad, and (2) because it failed as the ending of the Mass Effect game series--that is, it ran completely counter to the whole "your choices matter" premise. It was a pile of half-assed nonsense desperately trying to masquerade as art. And the Extended Cut did not improve it, because nothing could: it needed replacement, not improvement.

Weentastic

Dec 9, 2011
Hah, it just looks like people everywhere didn't like it, you know, since the whole internet was in an uproar about it when it came out. The ending might have been clever if the game had stood by itself. As it stands, the theme and nature of the ending flies right in the face of the rest of the trilogy, even the theme of the third game itself. I might not have minded it if Shepard had died a satisfied death alongside Anderson watching the reapers blow up, and watched the galaxy try to rebuild itself, but all throughout the series you get this kinda Captain Kirk thing going on where you seem to be the survivor, while the world falls apart around you, and even sometimes you show the miraculous ability to make right what is wrong, even when all the odds are against you. So yeah, everyone knows life isn't fair, but the trilogy seems to have spent the first 98 percent of itself showing how you are fighting against that, and then gives you the finger at the end. I wouldn't call that exactly clever or brave, especially since that sort of surprise bullshit has been done on other movies and games much more thematically coherent.

Hattingston

Jan 22, 2012
chimpzy said:
I am Belgian and I'm ambivalent.
I blinked when I saw this and read "I'm Batman and I'm ambivalent."

OP: Interesting application of cultural stereotypes, although I'm not certain I agree with all of the content about WW2.
I voted American and disliked, not because it wasn't a happy ending exactly, but because of the forced character action. I want to argue with starchild. Yeah, you could comment on certain aspects of what he said, but you can't logically break him down. While I realize that still falls into the stereotypes, it seems that the rest of the series enforced the idea of logic and argument prevailing, especially considering the way you break down an indoctrinated character just minutes before. I understand the idea of the price of victory and why that's valuable, but in terms of the series, it doesn't fit, that idea is never endorsed, heck, you can even complete a "suicide mission" with literally everyone on your crew intact, including the abductees. That's part of what gives the ending its punch, but it's such a sudden and jarring change that it felt out of place and forced(to me).

Jun 7, 2010
You might just be onto something, OP. Though i'm british and didn't like the endings. Though Ihaven't played ME3 yet, just because of the whole kerfuffle.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
British here. Well, although I wasn't so keen on the ending, that was because it was poorly explained and executed, at least until EC came along. However, I did rather like how dark it was, pretty much as per your argument. I do tend to like the darker, more depressing settings over the happy, cheerful ones. Between Star Wars and Warhammer 40k, the ultra-grimdark 40k setting is much preferred.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Zhukov said:
Well I'm Australian, so nyaaahh!

Also, I think you're giving the writers way too much credit.

And even if you are interpreting their aims correctly, their execution of those aims still stinks.
Well Australia used to be a british colony...then again so did America and Canada...man a lot of countries have english origins.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
I didn't care either way that the ending was dark, I cared that it made no sense. And that, I believe, is an international constant, all countries remark that it makes no sense, especially now indoctrination theories been disproved.

BlindWorg

Oct 31, 2009
Im Finnish (Scandinavian, yeah i label us as Scandi's, whatcha gonna do about it?) and im ambilivent towards the EC and hate with a passion the original endings.

Its over for me, they tried and succeeded in some areas in polishing the turd but its the end. The curtains. The fact that EAware went with the original endings seriously to begin with makes me unwilling to have any more to do with the Shepard Trilogy and any further EAware products if they can with a clear head stoop so low. Any further purchases from them will come with great consideration several weeks after the release once their quality has been measured. My Shepard has reached her end, ambiguously existing in a state between life and death, the Lich of Uncertaninty if you will.

Its the end of the line.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I am English and I hated the ending for many reasons. You are partly right. We British do tend to be rather pessimistic but if anything I fould that make us like happy endings more. I could have lived with a shepard dies ending (if it had been done well) but I would also have liked a shapard lives/reapers die, geth and EDI live ending.

I never understand people who say dark, gritty ending are better because 'life is not all chocolate and rainbows'. Life is hard, it can be incredibly depressing, hell just watch the news. Life can suck so why have something that is designed to entertain, something you do for enjoyment, make you feel even worse.

Althrough I was never angry about the ending as I actually am a pessimist and asumed that the ending would suck. Its one of the advantages of being a pessimist. You are never dissapointed.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
I am british, and I am drawn to fatalistic stories as you said. All my favourite stories are ones that very early on, you know that they can not end happily, and the protagonist knows this, but fights on regardless - and generally, fails. But it also leads to a lights in the darkness effect - when despite seemingly destined failure, this inevitability, the protagonist manages to win in a way that isn't Deus Ex Machina - the joy of such a victory, no matter how large, shines brighter.

But ME3 was not fatalistic, it was just utterly terrible, plot hole ridden, and a complete change of tone to the rest of the series. I went in, my Shepard went in, fully expecting to die. And I would of been happy if she died, because she would of gained happiness since ME1 started, and I would of found her life satisfactory. Maybe that's why I liked the indoctrination theory - I still think that the writers originally planned that until Hudson and Walker went into that room together, and what we have are the remnants of that along with atrocious ending. I could not ask for better pre elevator for an ending. After that though, it was terrible. Though I did pick red end, disregarding possible happiness for everyone else for both that tiny chance of survival, and because that was my goal, whether it killed me or not.

To be honest, this experiment of yours seems actually pretty interesting. I'd like to see a repeat of the experiment on a better example. ME3 has too many variables - it's not about happy or sad ending, it never has been despite what people tried to paint it as - it's about the ending because plot hole ridden, tone changing, and generally being garbage, which messes up your results.