Poll: A thought on American Idol and similar shows.

william12123

Oct 22, 2008
Reality TV angers me as a concept. It's voyeuristic, overly dramatized and pandering. Whether or not it's a better quality of reality TV, it's still reality tv.

Lusty

Dec 12, 2008
I can't think of anything worse than watching a show full of songs written by the kind of people who go on TV Talent shows. It would be full of middle class teenage douchebags playing their angsty acoustic guitar shite.

Original music does not always equal good music.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
HoneyVision said:
The last season of American Idol was the first singing reality show I've ever watched in full, and ONLY because Mariah Carey was a judge. I liked it.
.... I want you to go to your room , and think about what you just said .

OT: would i watch it? No . Would it be better than American idol ? Maybe . But American idol is just a popularity contest with people that can sing . It's not about the talent . Pop music is what's most people are into ( for god knows what reason, i think it's because that's what people say we SHOULD like , damn media ), and will get the mos viewers . Hip hop can pass , because that's what the kids are into ( although i would argue it's not true hip-hop but that's another story ).

But to be fair , i don't want T.V . And " reality t.v " ( comon guys you think all those Reality shows are real?) i even less ! ( what's less than 0?).

Julius Terrell

Feb 27, 2013
A show like that would allow MY singing ability to shine. Being that I have a rather unique singing voice, this type of show would be a lot easier for me to win. I wish I had some youtube videos to show you guys, but I haven't gotten around to it. People like me NEVER get a break on these shows.

I tried out for America's got talent 2 years ago. I was able to get a second audition, but I never got a call back. I'm a freaking classical male soprano for crying out loud. If I can't get on this show then they certainly aren't looking for talent.

My voice is most certainly professional level. I made a thread about this a while back.

That reminds me of the last season of America's got talent they had that that goth guy with the contacts. I was really hoping that guy would represent what people with my kind of ability could do, but nooooooooooo....... he didn't take it seriously enough and messed up when it really counted. What a let down.

chukrum47

Jun 10, 2011
As I can very proudly say that I've never watched American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, or any other related show, I can also honestly say I would not watch a show regardless of who wrote the music they're singing.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I still wouldn't enjoy the show purely out of my bias against reality shows. If the contestants actually tried, or are forced to do varying types of music, rather than the usual modern hip-hop sounding songs, that would be nice. Though I still would have little interest anyway.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
I think it would be too chaotic and the quality would be bad.
So no, I dont think it is a good idea.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I'd be on board for something like that. Hell, pretty much the only singing competition show I've ever watched were the two seasons of Rockstar. I'll admit to getting a kick out of the audition phase from those that suck but think they're great but I can't help but wonder if they are plants just to keep things entertaining.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I do watch them, in the early stages, because it's god damn hilarious. I only really watched them because my flatmates did, and this guy was actually good:

But generally no. I don't really appreciate the whole idea of them. Whilst I might not like a lot of bands, I do have some level of respect for any artist that's spent years writing, practicing and touring to get to where they have. These shows seem like a bit of a cop out really- you gotta pay your dues, or otherwise you're going to be a shit live act.

Besides, as a metalhead myself, who wants to sit and watch it on tv? Here in the UK, Bloodstock festival runs a competition for bands to win a set at their festival, and they run regional heats. I think metalheads appreciate the grassroots, live side of things much more. We'd much rather go see a bunch of mediocre bands live, get a few beers in us and enjoy the live show than watch some over-dramatised bollocks on tv.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
It might be more interesting if these shows required some originality and talent. In lithuania's case people just steal the music from some good song and add translated lyrics or make something retarded of their own, in both cases it doesn't usually work. As for the poll question, i wouldn't watch it, i despire 'reality' TV.

HoneyVision

Jan 4, 2013
krazykidd said:
HoneyVision said:
The last season of American Idol was the first singing reality show I've ever watched in full, and ONLY because Mariah Carey was a judge. I liked it.

OT: would i watch it? No . Would it be better than American idol ? Maybe . But American idol is just a popularity contest with people that can sing . It's not about the talent . Pop music is what's most people are into ( for god knows what reason, i think it's because that's what people say we SHOULD like , damn media ), and will get the mos viewers . Hip hop can pass , because that's what the kids are into ( although i would argue it's not true hip-hop but that's another story ).

But to be fair , i don't want T.V . And " reality t.v " ( comon guys you think all those Reality shows are real?) i even less ! ( what's less than 0?).
Was this response supposed to spark some kind of self-reflection? Because it hasn't.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
HoneyVision said:
krazykidd said:
HoneyVision said:

Was this response supposed to spark some kind of self-reflection? Because it hasn't.
It was mostly a joke . Although watching a whow soley for mariah carey didi make me raise an eyebrow.

HoneyVision

Jan 4, 2013
krazykidd said:
HoneyVision said:
krazykidd said:
HoneyVision said:

It was mostly a joke . Although watching a whow soley for mariah carey didi make me raise an eyebrow.
I don't mind the shows, but to see Mariah judge it makes it much better for me. She's more qualified than 99% of any other judge that's ever been on any singing competition show.