Poll: A Tricky Moral Dilemma

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
thaluikhain said:
You have to feed him, anything else is murder. Sure, he didn't risk his life, but you can't murder him for that.
You've already commited murder by killing and eating the fat man. What's one more?

precedence [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armin_Meiwes]

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
For what is given in these circumstances, I say let the man eat. But this is not without consequences.
He'll be a ***** and we will always remember his cowardice. Let him live in that shame that we will never forget.
We'll never take him on another voyage: I will make sure of that.

I'm not sure if sailors work off recommendation/interview with the captain, but, if so, I'd make mention of his selfishness in a survival situation. See if he can make a living off of that.
Compassion for man in a time of need is one thing: punishment for their actions is another.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I would never draw up the rules like that.

If someone else did, and it came to a vote, I'd vote that he eat some. Nothing tough about it. The only thing at stake is the rule-maker's integrity, and if you're still clinging to that after cannibalizing someone, well...

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
Well... I would feed him because if I wouldn't I would end up killing him with starvation. Also why would you let the rest rot and watch him suffer in hunger - that doesn't even make sense. Even animal let the sick and elderly to eat from the hunt, they just eat the leftovers. Even if they didn't take part in the hunt.
And when it comes to survival nothing is more important than other people (Something that DayZ and other zombie survival player needs to understand - along with the game developers). More people you have when you get a problem higher the change is that you can find a way to solve it. Even if it is the problem about keeping the "future crop" fresh.

Not feeding him makes no sense and is something that even animals don't do. I hold the philosophy of staying human till the very last moment of my sanity. (I don't consider having no sanity being alive/human - for sanity is the meta of humanity. That what makes us able to achieve greater and greater accomplishments and construct great wonders. What can be considered sane is tied to the culture surrounding the humanity)

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
suitepee7 said:
there are only two factors i will consider, because i see myself as a fairly decent human being:

1) we have more than enough food for ourselves, and some spare
2) there is a starving man there

i would consider deliberately starving a man when you have the means to feed him (with no cost to yourself) nothing short of murder
/Agree.

The person who refused had every right to do so. And now there is extra, and that person can be saved.

Having the means and the ability to save someone, but choosing not to because of grudges/pacts/etc, is a very deliberate act of murder.

It's like purposefully letting someone bleed out on the operating table when you could have easily saved them, because you didn't like them.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
That's a good question. To an extent, he deserves to starve, because he didn't risk his life like everyone else. But once you've got an excess of food and someone who is definitely going to die...I'd probably let him eat, if only out of respect to the man who died and whose body would go to waste otherwise.

Call me Baz

Nov 26, 2011
He gets the bits that no one else wants to eat - probably the lungs, genitals, brain, etc. I don't want him to die but I'll be damned if he takes those prime cuts from the people that were willing to take the risk.

He can eat, but not feast :D

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
MeChaNiZ3D said:
That's a good question. To an extent, he deserves to starve, because he didn't risk his life like everyone else. But once you've got an excess of food and someone who is definitely going to die...I'd probably let him eat, if only out of respect to the man who died and whose body would go to waste otherwise.
I dunno. If I were the guy who died I'd find it disrespectful [you know, If I weren't dead] that this person was able to bypass all the risk yet still benefit.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
You're in the clear. You're inches from society. You're no longer an animal; you did what was right, ect ect ect. You'd have to do the right thing and feed him.

Besides, if a really fat person entered... well, why would they? They're really fat. That's the point of storing that.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
wulf3n said:
If I were the guy who died I'd find it disrespectful (you know, if I weren't dead) that this person was able to bypass all the risk yet still benefit.
I have two problems with this line of thinking. The first is that basing life and death decisions based on how you'd feel in an impossible scenario (how you'd feel if you were dead and thus unable to feel) makes roughly as much sense to me as declaring that it would be immoral for anyone to stand within five thousand feet of you because if you had magical powers to erect a mansion covering that entire radius, then you would do so and those people would be in your way. The other is that you seem to think it's more important that you not feel disrespected than that another person continue to live, which I find a very messed-up priority.

blazearmoru

Sep 26, 2010
Everyone knows the set rules. I would let the man eat because the option is there but I wouldn't condemn anyone's choice not to feed the man... So I would probably set a vote instead of deciding and if the vote happens to be a tie, I cast mine for feeding, otherwise starve.

However, a third option would be some sort of "I owe you" system so it's not a free ride without cost.

Though I think it's immortal NOT to save the person. I also think it's immoral to feed him out of your own whim due to the fact that *everyone* knew the rules however, I believe the rules are imperfect and ought to be changed to something along the lines of : "Others may partake on feeding ONLY if there is sufficient amount for everyone and they are on the last of the priority list." and so some weight has to be put on the rule maker here.

Still, this feels like an insufficient information problem as we do not know anything else and that information is not trivial. Saving a person ISN'T just saving the person, it is saving that person's future which influences everything. That is not a trivial matter.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
Weird set up. What happened to fishing? Or sea birds? Or how about, first person to die of starvation gets eaten? As for the man, how about you ask him if he wants to be fed? And what are you going to feed him? I thought you only had the meat of the fat man? So maybe he still doesn't want to eat it on principal.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
JimB said:
wulf3n said:
If I were the guy who died I'd find it disrespectful (you know, if I weren't dead) that this person was able to bypass all the risk yet still benefit.
I have two problems with this line of thinking. The first is that basing life and death decisions based on how you'd feel in an impossible scenario (how you'd feel if you were dead and thus unable to feel) makes roughly as much sense to me as declaring that it would be immoral for anyone to stand within five thousand feet of you because if you had magical powers to erect a mansion covering that entire radius, then you would do so and those people would be in your way. The other is that you seem to think it's more important that you not feel disrespected than that another person continue to live, which I find a very messed-up priority.
Firstly I never said or implied that my respect is more important than another's life, just that idea that given the person food is "respecting" the deceased and their sacrifice isn't necessarily the case.

Secondly regarding you're first point, it's more about how you'd feel if you were to know what was going to be done with your sacrifice. Would the Fat Guy have been willing to kill himself for the greater good if he'd known participation in the "lottery" wasn't compulsory to eat.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
wulf3n said:
Firstly I never said or implied that my respect is more important than another's life, just that idea that given the person food is "respecting" the deceased and their sacrifice isn't necessarily the case.
True. My mistake.

wulf3n said:
Secondly, regarding your first point, it's more about how you'd feel if you were to know what was going to be done with your sacrifice.
I don't care. I do not care about the feelings of dead people when those imaginary feelings are being used to justify the death of another person.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
JimB said:
I don't care. I do not care about the feelings of dead people when those imaginary feelings are being used to justify the death of another person.
So essentially what you're saying is it's ok to lie to someone to convince them to kill themselves in order to save someone else, because hey they're dead they don't feel anymore. Ignoring the fact that that action itself is arguably murder.

The current dilemma only exists because the guy who opted out essentially did what the others are doing to him now.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Let him starve and then get rid of the evidence so you aren't held accountable for "crimes" while on the life boat.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Kick him off your crew after you land if you must but don't force the man to die for no good reason other than "he didn't risk his life for the food." I could see withholding the food if you weren't sure there'd be enough but if you have plenty, there's no excuse for letting the guy die.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
Why must someone be murdered? Why not eat each others legs? Everyone has an extremity they don't need. Everyone pitches in, everyone eats. You eat my leg, i will eat yours. Because eating your own would be gross.

Silverfox99

May 7, 2011
For me the moral thing to do is let the man starve. While, you may save his life, at the same time you are devaluing the life of the others and the sacrifice of the person that became the food. He gets the reward without the risk? That isn't doing right by the people who did choose to enter the draw. Many of those people should be angry at the risk they took to stay alive, when they didn't have to take that risk to survive. They could have opted out and then put on the puppy dog eyes. Also, the person made their choice knowing what the results would be. Is it moral to ignore the choice of another?

The merciful thing to do is to give the person who opted out food. Mercy and morality are not always the same thing. Often we see and think to two to go hand in hand. This is almost always true in cases where someone could die. Keeping someone alive is more of a mercy than a moral action. Often when death is on the line, morals and mercy tend to conflict.