Poll: Aesthetics vs function

Zaeseled

May 17, 2011
Which one is more important to you? As a carpenter, this subject popped up atleast once during each project. Thinner frame looks nicer, but won't hold as much stress. Curved forms are usually more pleasant to the eye, but are harder to make if you want them as strong as straight forms.
So I ask to you, which is more important to you, it can be in games, furniture, cars, whatever.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
Function, which is in part why I failed my Architecture degree.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Function always function. I rather spend of items that last a while despite it doesn't please the eyes over a nice looking item that I got to spend to replace over and over. (Skullcandy headphones come to my mind.)

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Function, but form can follow function if you know what you are doing.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Function. Obviously.

It all very nice for things to look pretty, and I'd generally prefer that they did, but first and foremost, well... shit gotta work.

I guess the exception is for things that are designed to be only decorative.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
When Function is seriously affected by Aesthetics I really get peeved.

So Function, because at the end of the day do you want to look at the object or use it for it's intended purpose?

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Function, aesthetics is always good to have but it's preferable that whatever it is actually works. If I want something nice-looking but otherwise useless, I can buy a Greco-Roman statue.

Lucyfer86

Jun 30, 2011
I'd have to go case-by-case basis, could be either way then.
But since there are only two options now, i'm gonna answer function.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Function most of the time. I bought my couch and chair not with form in mind. They had to be older, so if they got damaged it wouldn't be as bad. And they had to be leather as I dislike sitting on fabric mosto fhe time. That was about it. Same with my desk chair. It had to be comfortable first and foremost. The rest was a bit of an afterthought.

And since this is a gaming forum, when it comes to games my tastes differ a little bit. Form and function both become pretty important. When I think of function in a game I think of the gameplay mechanics, fun and length. Aesthetics are obvious. And both are pretty important to me, even if function is still the more important one.

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
Depends what we're talking about.

If it's something like a saucepan, function all the way. But if I'm buying a decor item? I care about how that looks and if it can't stand on it's own I'll figure out some alternate way to display it.

If we're talking furniture I like balance - I have a decent-looking place, and I don't want to make it look like crap by having a sofa that looks like a homeless dude and a feral cat sleep on it, y'know? Form + function for those kinds of things.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
If my house fell down ontop of me because some **** thought it'd look prettier that way, and if I survived, I'd sue him and then murder his family and then flee to Moscow.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
I said function, because I like me some nice sturdy things that don't break! But the truth is I think form should follow function and there is no real need to sacrifice one for the other.

Aesthetic beauty can be derived from an object which is well designed to fulfill its purpose.

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
Function, always function.

I would never willingly compromise the effectiveness of an item for the sake of looks, and hate it when others choose to do exactly that. Such an action would go against every ethical standard I hold to as an engineer, and those among my peers who disagree risk the health and safety of the public.

Now, if I can make something look more appealing without changing the specs out of tolerance, I will at least consider doing so, but it is a tertiary concern at best.

Now, the exception to all of this mess would be items whose function IS aesthetics, but I personally care little about them.

Azkar Almsivi

Sep 3, 2012
Aesthetics! In this day an age armor on your battleships is meaningless! You might as well have a pretty one.

I'll admit I did kind of vote because I wanted to be a special snow flake. For example when it comes to relationships, trust me, I think we can all attest to the horror that is almost no function, no matter the aesthetics. Plus I do have a thing for sturdy, angular buildings and such. I also feel better inside them. Stick me in one of those weird towers with a glass floor and I'll be clinging the wall.

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
I am an extremely pragmatic person (barring my many obsessions), so naturally I find function more important when speaking of tools in general.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
I wore an AC 2 cloth cap well into my 30s in EverQuest 1 because I couldn't abide by the appearance of any of the models for hats in the game. As long as choosing aesthetics doesn't actually cripple the project, aesthetics win out every time. I don't care if it means I have to work harder or takes twice as long, I'll still choose to make something look pretty.

Bureacreative

May 9, 2009
For me it has to be function. I see the Nissan GTR and yes, it doesn't look like sex buuuuut it's so fast and so well priced, its function poops all over its looks.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Function in real life, aesthetics in fictional worlds. There are plenty of fictional worlds that lose appeal if they were designed with pure function in mind. Dr. Seuss's creations for example.

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
I don't think this is a particulary well thought out question. As it's phrased, it's essentially asking us whether we want something that works but looks ugly, or that looks pretty and doesn't work. This is a not very interesting question, since not many people would seriously answer aesthetics. What's more interesting is how willing people are to trade off one for the other. Say, if you were offered two items, both of which had a basic level of fucntionality, but the ugly one had additional functions whereas the pretty one did not, then which one would you pick? This sort of question, however, really needs to be judged on a case by case basis, and certainly needs more finely graded answers than the two extremes provided here.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Bureacreative said:
I see the Nissan GTR and yes, it doesn't look like sex
Oh no you didn't! The GTR is like a lumber jack, it's sexy in a masculine way ... it doesn't have the curves of the usual sexy cars but the GTR is testosterone on rubber!

Function, looks mean nothing to me. Christ, I have two couches one is blue and the other is brown and green ... The fact they don't match each other, let alone match the cream walls, the flat screen black tv on a silver tv stand (that was made for a big back tv) or the oatmeal carpet doesn't matter.

I have things that provide a function, be it sitting on or storing stuff. I don't have pictures hung up or clutter, such as vases or ornaments 'cos they have no purpose other than to look pretty but that really isn't a function.