Poll: Akira Remake...What is wrong with that phrase?

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
Akira used to be one of my fav films, but now it's grown stale. The story has no impact simply because it's so familiar. I'm in favor of the remake, it should freshen it up. If it's bad it'll make me appreciate the origonal more, and if it's good... well more power to it.

Nunny

Aug 22, 2009
Do we have to keep making American versions of everything? It rarely transfers well...

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Cracked has you covered. [http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-urgent-questions-about-live-action-akira-remake/]

TRAVIS?!?! REALLY?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Oh, this is silly. Akira was a movie which did not rely on an actual heavy/understandable plot. It traveled largely on the Rule of Cool and didn't even have to make sense to fly. It stood on its own for visuals, action, and music. Now, what the Japanese did, America can't/won't do the same way, and therefore will not achieve the same results. It will be bad because they'll miss what made it good and try to fix the wrong things. Akira was already not perfect, but it had its place. Trying to remake it or even 'fix' it is a pointless endeavor.

vashthblackseed

Mar 31, 2011
lol the original was a travesty. the manga consisted of 6 large books, the movie used a quarter of the first book and a handful of pages from the rest. they can't make it worse than it already is

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
Genuine Evil said:
BonsaiK said:
To be honest the original was sloppily paced, poorly written and an hour too long. There's a good chance a remake might improve on it.
This .
I'd watch that. I just hope hope they manage to work in a plot derailing music number somewhere highlighting the importance of friends and togetherness and following your heart. A guest appearance of Dave Chappelle as one of the American agents wouldn't hurt either. "F*** yo bike *****!"

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
darthmocha said:
So recently a friend of mine from college forwarded me some information on a live action, big budget remake of Akira. Yes, Akira, the most classic of anime films that summed up the genre for an entire generation that is not just a masterpiece of animation, but writing as well. It introduced many people to a world where cartoons could be visceral, gritty, and evoke the same emotions as a live action film. So, what is wrong here? In a word everything.
I have one thing to say about this. Well, two things really:

Tetsuuuuuuuuuuooooooo!!!!!

Kaaaaaaaanneeeeeeedaaaaaaa!!!!!

And then everything exploded. The End.

Ah, the Akira dub. So awful, so wonderfully, wonderfully awful.

OT: Yes, this will be awful. I can't imagine going to see it - I barely get out to see movies I actually want to see.

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
darthmocha said:
So recently a friend of mine from college forwarded me some information on a live action, big budget remake of Akira. Yes, Akira, the most classic of anime films that summed up the genre for an entire generation that is not just a masterpiece of animation, but writing as well. It introduced many people to a world where cartoons could be visceral, gritty, and evoke the same emotions as a live action film. So, what is wrong here? In a word everything.

The live action version is being moved from Tokyo to New York. The characters are being changed to white characters and Robert Pattinson and Zac Efron are on the shortlist and in negotiations to play in a lead role. I'm not joking I'm entirely serious. Regardless of who is cast, Tetsuo is becoming 'Travis' and Kaneda is now 'Kevin', and I will reiterate I am not joking. Apparently, many of the darker themes of the original are being thrown out and rewritten to give it a PG-13 rating as well by the writers and crew who brought you the Book of Eli. It is slated by IMDB to have a 2013 release date.

So what does everyone think about this? Are you as horrified and mildly disgusted as I am?
I think that your friend's info is about two steps behind. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108650-Warner-Bros-Starts-Search-for-Akiras-Leading-Men] For one, while Pattinson is still a candidate, according to Warner Bros., Efron is not. Two, based on the shortlists, they're also aiming for an older take on the characters, so one might wonder why they are even CALLING this Akira, if they have the scenery AND character demographic change.

NotSoNimble

Aug 10, 2010
I don't jump on the hate bandwagon at least until I see some trailers.

It's about damn time SOMEONE made a movie out of it.

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
Remakes are almost always worse than the original. I don't like the idea of me reccomending the original to someone and him responding "oh you mean that shitty Justin Timberlake movie?"

thrillingsuspense

May 6, 2010
Nico4 said:
Bloody Hollywood -.- Why must they ruin everything! D:
Does the existence of a remake, no matter how bad, really ruin the original?. I'm pretty sure the original Akira film will still exist as what it has always been.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Well when anything comes with the word "remake" (or "reimagining" or "retelling", re-anything really [sub]...or "re-dundant"[/sub")attached to it these days, I'm usually instantly filled with an sense of dread 'cause to me the word "remake" (or reimagining or whatever") means butchered all to hell; at least if it's not done by the same people who did it the first time anyway.
Never the less, I may give this a chance. Can't say for sure until I see trailer or two.

PurplePlatypus

Duel shield wielder
Jul 8, 2010
Sounds like it could turn out horrific.
Adaptations I can deal with, they can sometimes turn out alright but a remake of a movie that is already an adaptation of something else? It?s probable not going to end well.

darthotaku

Aug 20, 2010
I will watch a live action Akira movie for the same reason I saw Twilight, I believe you can't honestly critisize a movie until you've made an attempt at sitting through it.

and they changed his name to Kevin? they could have made him a dual citizen and had everyone call him "Canada" and it would have been better

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
What's wrong with the phrase "Akira remake"? Well, the word "remake" for starters.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Nope, I don't think I will be watching this particular film, though not for the reasons other people here might cite - I simply have no investment in the source material to begin with. Indeed, when it comes to the realm of anime, what I have is actually antipathy, so knowing the origins only makes me less interested than I would be otherwise. And considering the prospective cast members the OP mentioned, there wasn't ever any interest to begin with.

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
Teachingaddict said:
darthmocha said:

The live action version is being moved from Tokyo to New York. The characters are being changed to white characters and Robert Pattinson and Zac Efron are on the shortlist and in negotiations to play in a lead role. I'm not joking I'm entirely serious. Regardless of who is cast, Tetsuo is becoming 'Travis' and Kaneda is now 'Kevin', and I will reiterate I am not joking. Apparently, many of the darker themes of the original are being thrown out and rewritten to give it a PG-13 rating as well by the writers and crew who brought you the Book of Eli. It is slated by IMDB to have a 2013 release date.

So what does everyone think about this? Are you as horrified and mildly disgusted as I am?
Love the idea, hate the choicesm seriously Robert "Im a glittering vampie woooo" Pattinson and Tweenie bopper Zac Effron - I have images from the final scenes of Episode 3 going through my head now...

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Zac Effron's first acting role was as a young Captain Reynolds on Firefly.

I think he'll do just fine.