Poll: Alice in Wonderland or Acid Wonderland

poleboy

May 19, 2008
BlazeTheVampire post=18.70616.698143 said:
I hated the Disney version at first, but laid back and accepted it. The absence of the chess references irked me- the Red and White Queens were just not there at all, and the White Queen was such a FANTASTIC character.
The Disney version is only Alice in Wonderland, right? The chess bits are in Through the Looking Glass, which is technically a seperate story. They cut out some of the crazier stuff in the Disney version, but I still think it's good. Even though Alice doesn't appear to be blonde in the illustrations from the original book.

Lord Krunk post=18.70616.698348 said:
Don't forget the author of Sherlock Holmes.

He was a heroin addict.
No he wasn't. Where are you getting the idea that all authors around the 1900s were drug addicts? It's much more a romanticism thing, which is much earlier.

SecretTacoNinja

Jul 8, 2008
I watched it for the first time in about 10 years and I was seriously like:
0_0 Wtf is going on here? Especially towards the end. I think I'll stick to The Lion King and The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

jezz8me

Mar 27, 2008
Well definitly not an acid trip. I know Carol was drinking a lot of Absynth at the time though.

But Alice in Wonderland is my second favourite book (Alice through the looking glass being my favourite). The deliberatness of everything that and the calculated nonsense makes it impossible to be an acid trip. It is the imaginary fanciful work of a child loving genius.

Who is pumped for Phanstasmagoria, a movie about the life of Lewis Carol directed and acted by Marilyn Manson?

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
The_root_of_all_evil post=18.70616.697553 said:
Jabberwock might be an acid trip, but Alice really isn't.
Ah I think I'm one of few people to get the Easter egg in oblivion about that (Jabberwocky).

If you can enjoy basic literature or a good bit of crazy then it makes a fun kind of insanity, I don't like it (much) but I can appreciate it. I have never read the text of it though which is ironic because that's the only reason I like the movie.

How you got to drugs is odd though.

Thais

Jun 12, 2008
TheNecroswanson post=18.70616.698020 said:
The gentleman who wrote Alice in Wonderland was a reverend and a teacher, as well an amatuer photographer. The only harmful chemicals he was subjected to were that of of camerea's flash, which was standard in the day, and the pain killers of the day. Which by todays standards were yes, drugs, but back then that's how things worked.
Lewis Carrol did not experiment with drugss, he never molested Alice Lidell, and he was not a pedophile.
Being a teacher he practiced great theology on the advacncement and evolution of language, as showcased in Jabberwocky.
He was not some nut or a drug addict. It's simple BS that some random person began sppreading about him and stoners thought was "cool".
Quite a lot of what we "know" about Lewis Carroll is incorrect due to the attempts to whitewash his character by his first biographer (one of his nephews, I believe) and to make him look "innocent" and "pure". It was expanded to the point where later authors have traditionally taken the view that he was a pedophile in thier biographies, which consist of "research" that has pretty much been nothing more than reading the first biography. It wasn't until the family released his actual journals that any real information about Carroll's relationships with women was known. Try going to "The Carroll Myth" website for some actual information on him. BTW, his real name was Charles Dodgson, which if you want to look up any of his potographic work (which also in retrospect makes him look like a pedophile to us but which was perfectly acceptable and entirely non-sexual in nature in the era,) will help you find what you're looking for.

Phoenix Arrow

Sep 3, 2008
Knight Templar post=18.70616.698680 said:
Ah I think I'm one of few people to get the Easter egg in oblivion about that (Jabberwocky).
Sorry to go off topic but what easter egg is this? Never played much of Oblivion and I'm curious.

Feb 13, 2008
BlazeTheVampire post=18.70616.698143 said:
Sorry I've been so quiet guys. As much as I love talking to the lot of you, I've been studying more than I've ever studied before. When I returned to University, I found out that there was a much greater gap in the curricula of my two Japanese classes than I'd originally thought, and now I'm three chapters behind. Once I get caught up, I'll be one more. Promise.
We forgive you, but come back soon. :)

wilsonscrazybed

thinking about your ugly face
Dec 16, 2007
hearty0 post=18.70616.697264 said:
I know it's a classic, but really when I watch it I think HOW ON EARTH COULD SHE DREAM THAT!?!? The whole show is just one big acid trip, I mean really if anyone has a weirder dream than the entirety of this(cannot have been induced from meds,beer,etc) then I will be surprised.
You really shouldn't post superfluous polls, I heard the mods are a bunch of overweight internet nerds with a chip on their shoulder.

Edit: Also, Lewis Carroll may have used the painkiller Laudanum from time to time to cure headaches, but there seems to be no evidence that he ever used/abused drugs. Chalk his works up to good ol' creativity, and a fascination with children's stories.

Feb 13, 2008
wilsonscrazybed post=9.70616.699164 said:
hearty0 post=18.70616.697264 said:
I know it's a classic, but really when I watch it I think HOW ON EARTH COULD SHE DREAM THAT!?!? The whole show is just one big acid trip, I mean really if anyone has a weirder dream than the entirety of this(cannot have been induced from meds,beer,etc) then I will be surprised.
You really shouldn't post superfluous polls, I heard the mods are a bunch of overweight internet nerds with a chip on their shoulder.
Dammit Wilson, I was just going to report that post! :)

Wewt

Sep 3, 2008
TheNecroswanson post=18.70616.698020 said:
The gentleman who wrote Alice in Wonderland was a reverend and a teacher, as well an amatuer photographer. The only harmful chemicals he was subjected to were that of of camerea's flash, which was standard in the day, and the pain killers of the day. Which by todays standards were yes, drugs, but back then that's how things worked.
Lewis Carrol did not experiment with drugss, he never molested Alice Lidell, and he was not a pedophile.
Being a teacher he practiced great theology on the advacncement and evolution of language, as showcased in Jabberwocky.
He was not some nut or a drug addict. It's simple BS that some random person began sppreading about him and stoners thought was "cool".
This should be reposted on every page of this thread.

Thais

Jun 12, 2008
TheNecroswanson post=18.70616.699506 said:
jezz8me post=18.70616.698458 said:
Who is pumped for Phanstasmagoria, a movie about the life of Lewis Carol directed and acted by Marilyn Manson?
Greeeeeat. Another trash movie by the worlds least creative rock. Prepare for entire innaccuracies and a movie based solely on shock value.

Thais post=18.70616.699015 said:
Quite a lot of what we "know" about Lewis Carroll is incorrect due to the attempts to whitewash his character by his first biographer (one of his nephews, I believe) and to make him look "innocent" and "pure". It was expanded to the point where later authors have traditionally taken the view that he was a pedophile in thier biographies, which consist of "research" that has pretty much been nothing more than reading the first biography. It wasn't until the family released his actual journals that any real information about Carroll's relationships with women was known. Try going to "The Carroll Myth" website for some actual information on him. BTW, his real name was Charles Dodgson, which if you want to look up any of his potographic work (which also in retrospect makes him look like a pedophile to us but which was perfectly acceptable and entirely non-sexual in nature in the era,) will help you find what you're looking for.
I know all this. Thanks ;).
Yes, I wished to reinforce my post with yours.

Thais

Jun 12, 2008
TheNecroswanson post=18.70616.699552 said:
Thais post=18.70616.699538 said:
TheNecroswanson post=18.70616.699506 said:
jezz8me post=18.70616.698458 said:
Greeeeeat. Another trash movie by the worlds least creative rock. Prepare for entire innaccuracies and a movie based solely on shock value.

Thais post=18.70616.699015 said:
I know all this. Thanks ;).
Yes, I wished to reinforce my post with yours.
Ah. Like when the transformers link together to make a super transformer? Does that make it like....A super post? We'll call it, Sterance.
That or if it's evil, it could be a MegaPost. Hmmm...we might be in danger of getting attacked by Shia LeBeouf though. I wonder if he'd be good barbecued and with ketchup?

Thais

Jun 12, 2008
I used to watch Even Stevens while babysitting my oldest nephew...

Which means I've always found Le Boef to be a bit tasteless. Maybe Worcestershire sauce instead?

hearty0

Jul 22, 2008
I see that the mods didn't like my poll, and I decided to make it a nice simple yes no poll that I doubt they can complain about. I even left the question they put to say I understand what you want. Also I think Le Boef should be just medium rare with a side of fries. =-D

Edit: sadly it would seem I can't make a third poll option anymore so I'm sad to say that I can't show the question regarding my unpopular poll.