Poll: Alien 3 or Alien: Resurrection

Ironbat92

Nov 19, 2009
Hello Escapist Forums, long time no see.

Anyway, I'm on an Alien Marathon and have finished watching Alien and Aliens. So, with that said, I currently am Low on cash and have to decide which to get to buy/rent next; Alien 3 or Alien: Resurrection. I know the plot to both, but have never seen them and I know that they both have a "polarizing" response. So which should I get and see?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I like 3. Yes, it sucks that it undoes Aliens' perfect ending. But the movie itself isn't half bad.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Alien 3, or at least the Assembly Cut. It's pretty good, and wraps up Ripley's story nicely. There's no point in skipping to Resurrection without seeing Aliens 3, so either get Aliens 3 or get nothing. Also helps that Alien 3 is much better than Resurrection.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
My response:

There are only two Alien movies. If there was a third, it would have taken place on Earth like it was supposed to do.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Silentpony said:
Just watch Aliens 2 and Bladerunner. They're the best Alien-verse movies out there.
How the heck does Blade Runner even fit into the Aliens universe?

Yes, I know flavour lore for Prometheus implies it, but thankfully, the idea seems to have been dropped.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
The movies pretty much get worse with every new movie they make, but none of them are Sharknado levels of bad. 3 and 4 are pretty enjoyable. Get 3 and then get 4 when you can.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Hawki said:
Silentpony said:
Just watch Aliens 2 and Bladerunner. They're the best Alien-verse movies out there.
How the heck does Blade Runner even fit into the Aliens universe?

Yes, I know flavour lore for Prometheus implies it, but thankfully, the idea seems to have been dropped.
Ridley Scott said all his Sci-Fi movies take place in the same galaxy. Bladerunner is the Earth of the Aliens franchise. When people talk about how shitty Earth is, they mean bladerunner. When replicants talk about how you wouldn't believe what they've seen, they mean xenomorphs.
Replicants and androids are the same thing!

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Get the restored edit for Alien 3, and you'll have a good time. I don't like the fact it basically craps all over Aliens ending on high, but in its own right its an interesting take on the material.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Better to not watch either one and come up with your own fannon theory about what happens after Aliens.

Having said that, if you have to choose, go with Alien 3. It's not great, but it does wrap up Ripley's story and ends the franchise in a definitive way. Plus it does some interesting things with the creature itself.
It is most definitely still the same kind of creature, but it's body shape and movements are quite different due to it having hatched from a four-legged animal rather than a two legged.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Personally, I enjoyed resurrection more than 3 and had more fun watching it, but I do recognize that 3 is the better movie. Just dont think of it as a sequel to 2 and you'll be alright. Resurrection had more going on and is bit more of a fun ride though, sorry to just add to the confusion. But my vote sticks with resurrection.

Aug 31, 2012
I'd go with 3. It feels like an Alien film. No one is special, space is horrible and you're all going to die. Resurrection felt like "ragtag bunch of cool alternative misfits lead by superpower lady fight monsters".

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Personally I would skip but you have to choose one, I would have to go with 3.

Resurrection was just bad for so many reasons.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I like both, but 3 wasn't scary at all and the action didn't do much for me either. Actually it feels kinda slow. I see it as more of a comedy because those Brits were very amusing. I can understand why people would prefer it story wise though, but Aliens already fucked up the concept to me anyway and I prefer Resurrection over both because I feel it was more creative with the death scenes and horror in general, and it was actually creepy/scary. And I find Winona Ryder really attractive :p

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I've been meaning to watch the Director's Cut of 3, since it's apparently quite good, but I can't really bring myself to care much.

I'll go with Resurrection, as I can at least find some joy in its pants-on-head goofiness.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Alien 3 has exactly one good moment, and it's from Bishop himself.
Alien Resurrection is far from perfect, but it's atleast enjoyable.