Poll: Alternative Fantasy RPG's

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
The closest game I've played that isn't that Eurocentric was Titan Quest.

You start off in ancient Greece and travel along the Silk road through Egypt and eventually reach China, battling mythological creatures from those areas.

Miss Layton

Feb 18, 2013
Bara_no_Hime said:
Mister Spaceman said:
Fantasy RPG's, even Scifi RPG's, have become a little too "white" for my tastes, to boot. Let's get crazy, let's add a few ethnic spices into this old recipe!
Of the ones listed, I'd have to go with Native American. Although you'd probably have to go a bit more specific, since different tribes had different legends. Just sayin.

Anyway, you've reminded me of a Fantasy setting in a novel by one of my favorite authors (Lois McMaster Bujold).

It's set in mid-western America, along the Ohio and Mississippi river. However, it's set after a magical apocalypse that's reset society to a swords and horses level of technology. The interstate highway system still exists, albeit in ruins, and cities like Detroit and Cleveland are underwater - and spoken of as the oldest of myths and legends about the "Great Wizards" who once lived there.

So overall it has a sort of colonial/old west/Mississippi Riverboat feel, but without guns and with swords and magic (which may actually be psionics, but since no one remembers the difference, it doesn't matter). Oh, and with no nations - city-states are the main socioeconomic/sociopolitical unit.

Oh, speaking of my favorite authors, Jacqueline Carey did a pretty good Aztec fantasy novel in Naamah's Blessing (her 9th Kushiel novel, spoilers abound, so be warned). She didn't do bad with Indian mythology in Naamah's Curse (the 8th novel) either.
Yeah, my friends and I are still debating whether we should stick with one tribe and its culture, or take the Skyrim route and have varying tribes take place in the same setting, where all Native American mythologies, creatures and so forth are real.

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
I wanna see ancient deity mythologies. And by ancient, I mean ancient.

Assyrian Era, baby! All the way back when humanity's social structure was starting to grow. You can't white-wash that stuff without doing major, major damage to how the game would work/play.

competentfake

May 2, 2008
A few thoughts spring to mind:

-For starters, how about Barsoom? I suppose it's technically sci-fi, but that aspect rests upon a solid foundation of alternative fantasy themes. I feel the best type of alternative rpg would incorporate fantasy, tribal mythology, eons-old religion, sci-fi so ancient it seems more like magic, and vast civilizations, both those long-forgotten and those that have endured for millenia, and let us not forget eldritch forces of evil that hail from the dawn of time. Also white apes. Mass Effect made a damn good show of trying to pull off this kind of a diverse backdrop, but it's difficult to invest emotionally in a whole Universe when you're jetting around in a sexy spaceship with hot crewmates and even hotter alien crewmates to take your mind off of celestial wonders.

-Don't laugh, and keep in mind that I'm tacking a serious bent on the definition of 'alternative', but I've always hoped someone would figure out how to take my beloved Mortal Kombat and make a game that uses the tight combat system to fill in the bits between the story elements, instead of the de facto formula of having a cellophane-thin story that fills in the bits between the fights. This will never happen, as the Mortal Kombat property has been hashed (clumsily) and rehashed (also clumsily) and rebooted (faceplanted*) several times (Legacy is actually pretty decent. Time will tell if the new movies are similarly solid), but there are a few more contenders that have RELATIVELY immersive storylines (for those who bother to read them). To wit: Darkstalkers, Soul Calibur~. and Guilty Gear (zomg have you checked out Overture? It's a little lean on the character side, but damn.)

~I feel I should expound. Soul Calibur's premise is kind of hackneyed, but its characters fall into two broad categories: Startlingly Unique and 'How Many Skinny Girls With Tiny Shields Do They Need In This Game?!' The majority of my experience with SC comes from the 2nd installment on PS2. I own IV, but meh...there's only so much enjoyment I can get out of seeing Yoda solemnly and patiently eroding Astaroth's self-respect away. By the by, who would stand in line with me to buy an action RPG entitled 'Voldo: What The Hell Happened To You, Man? Damn!'

That's all I got. A Boosh for everyone! ~Fake

Edit: that wasn't all I had! There are several SNES alternative (only really on my say-so at this point) RPG properties that righteously deserve a resurgence: EarthBound, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Evermore, & Illusion of Gaia. I still have my Illusion of Gaia T-shirt somewhere. Hmm...I should go look for it, but lo, it fits me no longer.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
The popularity of the Avengers could be a good launching off point for a renewed interest in Norse mythology. Fantasy games based around that could be interesting. Or, you know, just go balls to the wall and make another game like Zeno Clash.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
I think Mesoamerican could be pretty damn intresting. Apart from being an already facinating culture it has a great setting, that would work awesomely for an RPG. Djungles, tombs and ruins to explore, dangerous animals to hunt.

I'm not nearly knowledgeable on Mesoamerican history, but it seems like there's a lot you could base a game on.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
I would like to see more Native American stuff in RPGs. I don't know if it'd work very well to have the whole game on only that and nothing else, but a faction would be nice. Like the Tauren in World of Warcraft.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
I'd be totally on board with a game inspired by Native American mythology.

You know what I'd like to see? A game set in pre-medieval England. I know, over-saturation of English Fantasy, but this is more about Druids, Celts, Stonehenge and that sort of thing.

Altefforr

Feb 23, 2013
Ancient Aliens would be a cool setting for an RPG. Just think, you could use all of the ancient cultures you listed in the poll, and you could play any one of those races and interact with a different facet of the same alien race which is inhabiting Earth.

You could learn from alien masters about physics and stuff and use mind powers to accomplish goals in your adventures to save Earth from its own space-time continuum.

Starik20X6 said:
You know what I'd like to see? A game set in pre-medieval England. I know, over-saturation of English Fantasy, but this is more about Druids, Celts, Stonehenge and that sort of thing.
Druids, Celts, Stonehenge; Shamans? Yeah. I'd be down with that. I think Pre-English Germanic Paganism area of Europe would be a better setting for something like that. All the Fjords, Mountains and Forests would make for great setting, and then you could also include a civil war between the Englishmen and the Pagans. You could use that as the basis for the plot even!

"You must journey to the four corners of the Earth, get these four objects of power, bring them back to the shaman, protect the village from evil Englishmen."

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
I love the idea of a fantasy game based on Native American or African cultures. I know next to nothing of their mythologies, and I can't think of a better way of exploring them than by playing an RPG.

As existing franchises go, I think Earthsea deserves a shot. Not only is it refreshing in terms of race and aesthetics, but it's also rife with non-violent conflict resolutions - something that most RPGs sadly lack. And, oh, the things you could do with the magic system!

There are also not enough RPGs set in modern settings. The only two I can name are Vampire: The Masquerade -- Bloodlines and The Secret World. I'd love to play something that's for example inspired by Gaiman's Neverwhere and American Gods, and Books of Magic.

(I'm aware of and pretty excited about Fables from Telltale Games.)

Bonecrusher

Nov 20, 2009
Mister Spaceman said:
I have to admit, much as I'm a fan of roleplaying games, even I'm starting to get sick of the usual white, European, medieval hubaloo that comprises most Western RPG's. I know this has been brought up before, but can't we have a little more variety every so often?
Sadly, most of the criticized alleged "European medieval RPG" games are not exactly European medieval fantasy.
but still people relates these games with European mythology and bash them each other.

Lately, RPGs are made with combined themes. In the same game, you will see a knight, a fairy, a "winged, cutesy, angelic elf lady", a huge robot, an alien warrior... add steampunk, sci-fi, fairytale fantasy, space opera and heroic epic fantasy, and you get today's RPG, games are being mixmashed.
But still they are being criticized being "overly used European themed".

I wish to see a pure Arthurian game, or a low fantasy game. these kind of games are very rare nowadays...

or an occult fantasy, that you are using your powers in hidden and secret, not containing huge flashy effects, wings, breast armors etc... similar to World Of Darkness.

HellsingerAngel

Jul 6, 2008
#1. Still waiting for someone to make a God of War style game out of the Epic of Gilgamesh. Travel the lands with your best friend Enkidu as you obtain all the mythical treasures of humanity while searching for immortality. Punch a God tree to death then ride his body down the river of death into Hell itself! It would certainly make a really interesting property if a developer took a few liberties with how many minions Gil and Enkidu had to fight.

#2. Straight up Chinese or Korean lore based game like Jade Empire but more turn-based heavy. I like wuxia but there are so few games that can deliver that have a compelling story. It would make a great spectacle fighter but I'd prefer to see a turn based RPG with flashy moves like Final Fantasy. It could even have a sort of pokemon elements system where certain martial arts styles are strong against others.

#3. I think this is probably the most far-out idea I have, but I'd like to see a game based on the mythos of high school. So many tales of legend are the tales of a boy becoming a man. Where would that fit into today's society? High school is a battle within itself, trying to make an identity for yourself and this fits perfectly into a choice driven RPG. You could have party members that deal with real issues like being gay, having an abusive parent, a girl who doesn't find herself attractive enough/doesn't want to be seen as "one of the guys", first loves/first heartbreaks, drugs, identity crises and more. Enemies would be your standard fare of high school stereotype cliques but could extend outside to the party trying to sneak into the movie theatre for a premiere and having to fight past ushers, other movie goers and the boss would be the dreaded theatre manager! Inventory would be semi-common items that would fit each archtype of party member. The nerd could throw dice, the metal head might smash people with a guitar, the anime fan could use a wooden sword, the tomboy might just brawl everyone while wearing fashionable fighting gloves, etc etc. In the end, you graduate from school having all those experiences and your choices shape the ending and the type of person you become and maybe even which friends you've kept through your adventures.

competentfake

May 2, 2008
HellsingerAngel said:
#3. I think this is probably the most far-out idea I have, but I'd like to see a game based on the mythos of high school. So many tales of legend are the tales of a boy becoming a man. Where would that fit into today's society? High school is a battle within itself, trying to make an identity for yourself and this fits perfectly into a choice driven RPG. You could have party members that deal with real issues like being gay, having an abusive parent, a girl who doesn't find herself attractive enough/doesn't want to be seen as "one of the guys", first loves/first heartbreaks, drugs, identity crises and more. Enemies would be your standard fare of high school stereotype cliques but could extend outside to the party trying to sneak into the movie theatre for a premiere and having to fight past ushers, other movie goers and the boss would be the dreaded theatre manager! Inventory would be semi-common items that would fit each archtype of party member. The nerd could throw dice, the metal head might smash people with a guitar, the anime fan could use a wooden sword, the tomboy might just brawl everyone while wearing fashionable fighting gloves, etc etc. In the end, you graduate from school having all those experiences and your choices shape the ending and the type of person you become and maybe even which friends you've kept through your adventures.
This sounds an awful lot like an Earthbound 2 concept, except for the Psi.

HellsingerAngel

Jul 6, 2008
competentfake said:
HellsingerAngel said:
Quote about idea #3.
I think you mean Mother 2, also known as Earthbound.

That being said, yes, it probably does because both have similarities. However, the Mother series is about the adventures of pre-pubescent boys coming to their destiny of fighting space aliens and trans-dimensional figures where as I'm talking about an exaggerated version of high school and the issues a normal teenager would have to deal with. A lot of the Mother games deal with really abstract enemies like a fire hydrant, where as my idea would just have hyperboles of real things like a math teacher who would damage you by giving you extra homework or the school bully giving you a super wedgie. They would touch basis with eachother inevitably but I imagine the concept I pitched to be much more about character interactions, choices and dealing with actual issues around that age versus the alien fighting, surreal handling, psionic champions of the Mother games.

competentfake

May 2, 2008
HellsingerAngel said:
competentfake said:
HellsingerAngel said:
Quote about idea #3.
I think you mean Mother 2, also known as Earthbound.

That being said, yes, it probably does because both have similarities. However, the Mother series is about the adventures of pre-pubescent boys coming to their destiny of fighting space aliens and trans-dimensional figures where as I'm talking about an exaggerated version of high school and the issues a normal teenager would have to deal with. A lot of the Mother games deal with really abstract enemies like a fire hydrant, where as my idea would just have hyperboles of real things like a math teacher who would damage you by giving you extra homework or the school bully giving you a super wedgie. They would touch basis with eachother inevitably but I imagine the concept I pitched to be much more about character interactions, choices and dealing with actual issues around that age versus the alien fighting, surreal handling, psionic champions of the Mother games.
The only Mother game I've played is Mother 2/Earthbound, and I believe that Mother 3 was only released in Japan on the GBA, so I was just remarking that your concept (hypothetically) sounded like it could be applied to a theoretical and wholly improbable successor to Earthbound (or Earthbound 2), because your idea seemed (to me) to have the same kind of hyperbolic depictions of and subtle references to Western culture that made Earthbound so identifiable, as well as the use of unconventional weaponry.

I have to say that you seem to be grossly oversimplifying how amazing, unique, and ahead of its time Earthbound was and how relevant is still is today. The characters were prepubescent, yes, but the themes and undertones of the game were most definitely not. See, when a story features protagonists that are around 13 years old, the underlying theme is almost always either about Loss of Innocence granting the Means to Survive or it bears the hackneyed archetype of Purity of Youth Triumphs over Evil with the Power of Friendship. At it's core, Earthbound is about RECLAIMING the Purity of Innocence in order to Survive Absolute Trauma and Emerge Victorious. That is a deep and mature concept that a child wouldn't get.

Deeper still is the character of Pokey, one of Earthbound's primary antagonists. Pokey's story is dark to the point of being seriously disturbing; here we have a weak-hearted 13-year old boy who has no friends (though we find out that initially he desperately wanted to be Ness's friend) who loses his innocence in an unspeakably horrific manner, and then is given immense power that corrupts him absolutely. It bears mentioning that at the end of Mother 3, it is revealed that Pokey has become immortal and near-omnipotent, and he states that everyone who does not like him will be gone when the dark dragon awakens. What can be more terrifying than the meaningless, selfish cruelty of a psychopathic child with godlike power? Good thing he climbed into the Absolutely Safe Capsule (that cannot be opened by anyone, including the person inside of it), where he will slowly go insane over the next billion years.

That's the kind of material I'd like to see in a new alternative RPG: bright and colorful on the outside, twisted, dark, and disturbing underneath. Hard to pull off though. Think 'Psychonauts'.

Aaand, on second thought, I take it back. Your concept isn't reminiscent of what a Mother game would be with teenage protagonists in a high school setting. Too much drama. :) ~Fake