Poll: Am I the only one who thinks there may be infinitely more important things than love?

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
There seems to have been quite the flood of "love" threads recently, but why are we all so bothered about it? The way people talk about it, it's like the moment you are not "loved" your intestines force their way out through your belly button. Quite frankly, love is far from essential.

I have been alone most of my life. Any attempt to fix that has failed, so I don't think it will ever change. But do I not still breath? Can I not walk? Do I not, despite this supposedly terrible lack of something essential to humanity, pee properly on a regular basis? It may be wishful thinking, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I've exploded.

I still have ambitions. I still enjoy some of life, I've even been known to smile on occasion. Yes, I am lonely. Sometimes terribly so. Sometimes I want to rip myself apart. But I still live. And the worst times have always been after another rejection or dumping. It appears once someone gets too used to company, they become dependent. But I survived. And I will survive longer, and achieve my goals, despite whatever isolation life throws my way.

My point is that maybe too much us made of love. It is made up to be an oxygen like crucial element, but it is not. Bitter? Perhaps, but as I stated, still alive despite the popular view that without love my heart would implode.

So does anyone agree? Or am I just a bitter fool?

EDIT: ah. It appears although I have not exploded, but the poll did.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
I don't see the poll part of this poll thread.

Anyway, you aren't making the best of arguments for your case. You actually sound pretty miserable, though depending on how old you are, that may just be an age factor. It sounds to me that you are trying to rationalize something that can't be rationalized in an attempt to explain your own sucky situation.

But be that as it may, you have some semblance of a point. Love is beautiful and rewarding, but it's not something that is required to survive or even to live. I'm only 21 years old so I don't have that great of a perspective, but so far I am quite happy with my life despite not ever having had a girlfriend (never pursued one). I have my friends, my family, my job, and internet access, to fulfill my social needs, and my lifelong love of science and knowledge provides me with a passion. Having never known love, though, I can't say whether or not it would change my views. I do know some people who were "so in love" and would annoy me constantly talking about it (said people have since been dumped), but those people were nothing like me; they were socialites, always having to get out there and meet people and party and stuff. Me? I'm a loner. I prefer to spend most of my time by myself, though that doesn't mean I don't occasionally oblige my friends wish to hang out and enjoy it. All in all, my life is pretty good without "love" and I still don't really care to pursue it.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
The same could be said for anything that makes anyone happy.
Video games? Don't need them. Are they awesome? Yup.
Same could be said about love.

Dec 14, 2009
Is love essential? Of course not.

Is it one the best things in the world an individual can experience? I'd have to say yes.

I could go through life without eating a fucking delicious steak, doesn't mean I won't try and get one if I got the chance.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
I think I'll choose the 'just a bitter fool' option. A case could be made that we exaggerate the importance of love, but your depressed tale is more of an argument for love than I could ever come up with.

Paksenarrion

Mar 13, 2009
Whoever said, "it is better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all" is a troll. The only thing that can keep you going is Hate. It is a type of Love. You feel just as intensely.

Apathy eventually leads to either suicidal thoughts, or piloting biomechanical mecha.

I hate people.

Guac

May 7, 2011
It's nice to know that people care about you.
Not completely essential, no, but it's most definitely something that makes life that little bit more enjoyable.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Guac said:
It's nice to know that people care about you.
Not completely essential, no, but it's most definitely something that makes life that little bit more enjoyable.
Hi Guac!

also, I think love is essential for people to understand others. At one time or another I think every person has had strong feelings for another person.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
...most western cultures glorify love to the point of causing borderline co-dependence in people. I find it sad. To me, anyone who desperately clings to the idea that they're "incomplete" without a significant other... well, that person never got to discover who they are.

miashin

May 6, 2011
What kind of love are you talking about though?

Damn english for having one word for a range of feelings that can go from mild to 'I'll kill myself if this does not work!.'

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Bobic said:
I think I'll choose the 'just a bitter fool' option. A case could be made that we exaggerate the importance of love, but your depressed tale is more of an argument for love than I could ever come up with.
Depressed? Maybe. But not without purpose or drive. That is what most people say a lack of love robs you of.

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
Jack the Potato said:
Anyway, you aren't making the best of arguments for your case. You actually sound pretty miserable, though depending on how old you are, that may just be an age factor. It sounds to me that you are trying to rationalize something that can't be rationalized in an attempt to explain your own sucky situation.
I find myself agreeing with this.

I'm quite alone right now, but it's entirely by choice. I'm not trying to sound full of myself; genuinely, I'm just really happy with my life as it is right now, and I'm not that interested in rocking the boat.

When I read your post, OP, it's just depressing. Of course love/companionship isn't a life or death matter, but it's certainly more vital to some people's happiness than others, and there's nothing wrong with that.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
Love is good but it's definitely not needed.
Love does cause a lot of problems too though. Love can lead to depression or even hate in some cases. It all goes together in one big unnecessary ball.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:

Is it one the best things in the world an individual can experience? I'd have to say yes.

I could go through life without eating a fucking delicious steak, doesn't mean I won't try and get one if I got the chance.
Pretty much this.

Being in love with someones who loves you back makes the rest of the world's suckiness suck less.

Edited: fixed an error

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
loc978 said:
...most western cultures glorify love to the point of causing borderline co-dependence in people. I find it sad. To me, anyone who desperately clings to the idea that they're "incomplete" without a significant other... well, that person never got to discover who they are.
Well, I'd certainly agree society is perpetuating a rather skewed notion of love; and the co-dependency thing is pretty sucky, yes.

But I'd be foolish to say my life wouldn't suck more without it. I wouldn't go so far as to say incomplete, that's pretty extreme, but it is one of the nicest feelings and not having it would obviously suck hard. But basically, yes, someone has to be comfortable being on their own, with themselves, before they could ever be ready for a relationship. It's kinda paradoxical like that...

Razorin Faust

Jul 7, 2010
I would say no, for me love is far from essential.
I do live without it, And I do enjoy my life.
When support is needed, my friend are here.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
The Escapist is filled with those pessimistic people who think love is irrelevant and children are spawns of Satan. They annoy me.
Daystar Clarion said:

Quoted for truth.