Poll: American English or English English?

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
I think, and I mean no offense to my friends across the pond here, that the term kind of sums it all up.

"English English"

Larenxis

Dec 13, 2007
I object to the lack of Canadian English! We've got the British 'u's and the American 'z's. We're unique!

Khedive Rex

Jun 1, 2008
American English for me. Though, I've adopted some minor stuff from English English. Like I says cheers as a form of goodbye which really catches my fellow Americans off guard. They start looking around for drinks and stuff, it's awesome.

There's one thing I really like about English English though. You pronounce "herb", "herb". We pronounce it "'erb".

There's a fucking H in it!

An internet goes to whoever gets the reference.

Arntor

Feb 5, 2008
Khedive Rex post=18.70217.684808 said:
American English for me. Though, I've adopted some minor stuff from English English. Like I says cheers as a form of goodbye which really catches my fellow Americans off guard. They start looking around for drinks and stuff, it's awesome.

There's one thing I really like about English English though. You pronounce "herb", "herb". We pronounce it "'erb".

Eddie Izzard. Where's my internet?

Agent00abe

Jun 16, 2008
spartanhelmet post=18.70217.684446 said:
I object to the term "English English"... it's actually British English, thank you. England get way too much credit for everything in the UK.
Thank you. My thoughts exactly. I was surprised how many posts I hade to read before getting to one who made a point of that.

On topic, I use the american, british and australian. I find all them charming with different aspects. Oh yeah and I'm danish so I really have no natural prefference here.

Ubikvitaarinen

Nov 15, 2007
I guess I tend to use American English when caught out off guard although - and since I'm Spanish - I try to use British English as much as I possibly can.

rougeknife

Jan 2, 2008
Excuse me people, but may I interject:
I prefer Fucking Australian English. But not Rural Fucking Australian English. To many fucking C-bombs with rural.

:D

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
I use English English spelling but i use mainly American figures of speech ( form Australia by the way)

Xhumed

Jun 15, 2008
Arntor post=18.70217.684816 said:
Khedive Rex post=18.70217.684808 said:

Eddie Izzard. Where's my internet?
It's right in front of you. It's what you're typing in.

Capt_Jack_Doicy

Feb 20, 2008
on the whole the great strength of the english language is its diversity and ability to adapt. but then i does lead to some funny moments, an american friend of mine once told me she had to wear a skirt because she had no clean pants. i can't see why people get annoyed though it does make me occasionally hesistant or wikipedia incase something is a valid US spelling rather than a typo.

oh but the date thing is just stupid.

poleboy

May 19, 2008
Some sort of horrible bastard child of the two. Why? Because school taught me British and TV taught me American. And if you're not a native, the difference is small enough for you to not notice most of the time.
I don't know which type dominates actually. Perhaps one of you natives can tell me? I think it's American, but I'm not sure.

Celestrial

Aug 31, 2008
Well I personally love the bastardizations of English. I myself being a linguist major drool over these topics. I tend to think it isn't bastardization per se of British English but evolution of a language that is being sped and slowed down at the same time. That is what the internet has down with the mass communication ability. It has slowed down English growing by itself as regional dialects but also has sped up the acquisition of new words from regional foreign languages. So I reiterate that I don't see it as bastardization of a language but a form of evolution.

edinflames

Dec 21, 2007
I think that you will find that 'proper' English is called just 'English'. American English is so called because a conscious decision was made by American intellectuals/politicians (back in the days when those were compatible terms) to establish an American dictionary, knowing that to speak a language is to inhabit a world and they wanted as practicable break as possible with the language of the Empire.

English is by its very nature a rapidly evolving bastard amalgamation of many older languages (Latin, Norman-French, Saxon-German, Viking, trace elements of others) that is permeated with imported words and borrowed phrases; an example of this is 'raison d'etre' - a directly apropriated french phrase. Cockney Rhyming slang is brilliant demonstration of how quickly English evolves: the terms "the dogs bollocks" and "bog standard" are actually drawn from early 20th century Meccano toy packages: "the Box Deluxe" and "Box Standard". These terms are used all over Britain, maybe elsewhere (i dont know) by a myriad of people, none of whom know where the expressions first emerged.

The duality of English, its apparent simplicity despite rich complexity makes it, when used properly the most beautiful language on Earth.

Did you know that the English language has over 200,000 active (i.e commonly used in day to day speech) words, almost double the total of active words used by its nearest competitor - French - which uses just over 100,000 active words.

LuntiX

Aug 23, 2008
I'm going to have to say "Canadian English". Which is what I call it. It seems like a mix of British Style English and American Style English.

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
LuntiX post=18.70217.684975 said:
I'm going to have to say "Canadian English". Which is what I call it. It seems like a mix of British Style English and American Style English.
I feel awesome for ganking someone's first and only post.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
I use American English and I find British English to be full of unnesessary idioms, letters, and spelling rules (re- = "ree," -re = "ur," why?). I also notice that most British accents drop consonants and warp vowels, a subject of much annoyance to me. Although I'm sure they're equally annoyed by the American perchance to many contractions and acronyms.

All in all what I find most annoying is when an Englishman mispronounces words and then claims his pronunciation is inheirently correct because "we invented the language."

And of course the ethnocentricity, but Americans have that too so. . .

By the way, overly defensive Brits. Most of that was verifiable fact so don't dispute it. My opinions you can ***** about all you want.

DarkLordofDevon

May 11, 2008
I come from England and I use English.

Since English originally comes from England, the English are speaking what would be considered the 'original' English. The American's have taken the language and made alterations from slang developed over a century or 2.

So American English is just English with slang in effect.