Poll: Anime Music Video(AMV)

John Doe123

Apr 8, 2010
Personally, I hate these videos. Whenever I search for some anime clip on youtube, 80-90 percent of the results are AMVs. What is your opinion on AMVs?

Dusk_Chaos

Jan 11, 2010
I like the creative and well done ones. But the unoriginal ones that all use the same songs and anime and are poorly made annoy me.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
Dusk_Chaos said:
I like the creative and well done ones. But the unoriginal ones that all use the same songs and anime and are poorly made annoy me.
This. I will admit I am guilty of that sin though. I've stopped making them now however.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
EDIT: Better example.

There's more than enough good ones out there for me to say that I love them.

John Doe123 said:
Personally, I hate these videos. Whenever I search for some anime clip on youtube, 80-90 percent of the results are AMVs. What is your opinion on AMVs?
Youtube's a depository of shit for AMVs. The diamonds in the rough are pretty much all reposts from better sites. And in my experience, if I'm looking for a clip from an anime, and all that's coming up are AMVs...the clip's usually not there at all.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Dusk_Chaos said:
Here are two for you to compare. I made one and somebody else made the other (proof will be on the Youtube page). What I want you to do is watch both, all the way through, then tell me what you think of each. Then tell me which one you think I did, and which one the other guy did, and which is better. I'll then tell you in spoilers whether you were right or wrong.

Anyone else who wants to have a go is also welcome to try.

EDIT: Note that I have a completely different username on The Escapist to my username on Youtube.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
I love the good ones.
Watching them just makes me feel good, like listening to my favorite song. That being said, having to wad through the tons of crap to find the good ones can piss me off something fierce.
And I agree with the op one being really annoyed when trying to find a certain clip from an anime. It may be that the clip doesn't exist, or that it exists on pg 12 but I never go that far anyways, so it doesn't matter.
Sometimes though they provide a good way to fin other anime.This amv was how I found Black Heaven.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
NeutralDrow said:
EDIT: Better example.

There's more than enough good ones out there for me to say that I love them.

John Doe123 said:
Youtube's a depository of shit for AMVs. The diamonds in the rough are pretty much all reposts from better sites. And in my experience, if I'm looking for a clip from an anime, and all that's coming up are AMVs...the clip's usually not there at all.
Damn it you beat me to it you ninja. Well here's one of my favorites and yeah I agree people don't make AMV's like they use to.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
Dusk_Chaos said:
Nailed it. There used to be a great one on Youtube about Tenjou Tenge with the song Rock Candy performed by Sammy Hagar, but it's gone now. Pity, 'cause it was really nice editing in it.

Tehlanna TPX

Mar 23, 2010
This one doesn't use 'anime', but it is Kingdom Hearts.. close enough. And I like it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_gq461QKdc

OT: Yeah, when they're poorly made, AMV's can be wince worthy :/.

Dusk_Chaos

Jan 11, 2010
Trivun said:
Dusk_Chaos said:
Here are two for you to compare. I made one and somebody else made the other (proof will be on the Youtube page). What I want you to do is watch both, all the way through, then tell me what you think of each. Then tell me which one you think I did, and which one the other guy did, and which is better. I'll then tell you in spoilers whether you were right or wrong.

EDIT: Note that I have a completely different username on The Escapist to my username on Youtube.
The second one seemed to have the scenes match the music better and was overall more enjoyable to watch. You seem like the type of person who would have made the second one. These are just wild guesses so I doubt I will be right.

Also may someone please tell me how to embed videos. I am kinda a noob.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
Well i always thought AMV's stood for Animated Music Video. There is an unlawful amount of AMV's on youtube. But hey 40% of them are actually good!

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
AMVs, as a whole, are impossible for me to judge. There are some great gems out there while there is also a lot of crap. I hate the crap and love the gems. What more can I say?

AwesomeExpress

Packages Delivered: 84 / 1900
Feb 4, 2010
I'll agree that when I'm trying to find a clip on youtube or if I'm er...NOT downloading an episode... it's annoying finding all these AMV's in my face, instead of the actual content I'm looking for. But, when they're done properly, they can be quite enjoyable to watch. One of my favorites is Cowboy Bebop set to Weird Al's "Living in the fridge".

wadark

Dec 22, 2007
Its no different than anything else. Therefore, its impossible to answer this poll. There are amazing AMVs and there are absolutely shitty AMVs (see the one I made, no I won't give you a ling, trust me, it wasn't good).

Overall, I like the idea, its fun to try your creativity and pick a song and a show and put something together.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Dusk_Chaos said:
Trivun said:
Dusk_Chaos said:

The second one seemed to have the scenes match the music better and was overall more enjoyable to watch. You seem like the type of person who would have made the second one. These are just wild guesses so I doubt I will be right.

Actually, you're completely right :D. I go by the name Crispymongoose on Youtube, and the second one is indeed mine. I have an unfair advantage though, I have experience of film editing through a university society I'm with. The first video was actually made by a friend of mine from my old school.

Also, to embed videos, simply post youtube= followed directly by the bit in the video URL that comes after the equals sign. Put it all in square brackets, of course.

An example is: youtube==IJJ5-i1iSPI, but in square brackets. That's the code for one of the above videos, by the way.

Sieg06660

Apr 17, 2010
anything on this channel most of the best AMV's out there
http://www.youtube.com/user/BestAMVsofAllTime2

but this one is one of my favourites
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oU7lMkBIdc

Dusk_Chaos

Jan 11, 2010
Trivun said:
Dusk_Chaos said:
Trivun said:
Dusk_Chaos said:

Actually, you're completely right :D. I go by the name Crispymongoose on Youtube, and the second one is indeed mine. I have an unfair advantage though, I have experience of film editing through a university society I'm with. The first video was actually made by a friend of mine from my old school.

Also, to embed videos, simply post youtube= followed directly by the bit in the video URL that comes after the equals sign. Put it all in square brackets, of course.

An example is: youtube==IJJ5-i1iSPI, but in square brackets. That's the code for one of the above videos, by the way.
Yay I won! Great amv by the way. Also thanks for telling me how to embed videos. I am new to posting in forums so your help was much appreciated.

Here my favorite amv I have seen so far.