Poll: Another Math Question

TiefBlau

Apr 16, 2009
Saelune said:
Wow, alot of people forget you multiply before you divide. Its 1 people.

6/2(3), you multiply the 2 and 3, THEN 6/6 is 1.
Multiplication and division are interchangeable, just as addition and subtraction are interchangeable.

You wouldn't say 5 - 4 + 1 is zero, would you?

Bon_Clay

Aug 5, 2010
Oh my god not this crap again. The notation is crappy so it can be interpreted different ways. Some people make the assumption "2(1+2)" is all part of one term or denominator and therefore get one.

As it is written though the only thing I would say you can answer it without clarification or more brackets is 9.

Because the whole issue comes down to assuming something is or isn't one term. I would say the default is not say it isn't, the burden of proof is on the people saying it is, so unless they added brackets or wrote it with the 6 over top of the rest the answer I say is 9/

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
TiefBlau said:
Saelune said:

Multiplication and division are interchangeable, just as addition and subtraction are interchangeable.

Yes. Yes I would say that is 0. I was taught something and actually remembered it. And I thnk more people were taught PEMDAS than interchangabillity. And if say, this was on a test, I would likely win an argument that Im just using what I was taught.

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
It's 1.

By Order of Operations, it would be...

6/2(1+2)=? / (1+2) first, then 2(3), and finally 6/6 to get 1.

Wuffykins

Jun 21, 2010
aprildog18 said:
And for those who still are like whaa?
Look at it like..
6/1 * 1/2 * 3/1
For the record, those of us who are saying 'Whaa?' are probably seeing the equation like this:

Oddly enough that's how the calculator on my comp is choosing to interpret it as well. As mentioned before, the equation should be a written a little more specifically.

aprildog18

Feb 16, 2010
Oh my...
First, plug it into a calculator and see what you get.
If still confused because (1+2) is on right side of "/", it does not mean 5/20+3 is 5/23. Division symbol does not denote an open and closed parenthesis.

5 - 4 + 1=2 (berp de derp) Think of it as all adding, so it would be 5 + (-4)+1. negative 4 plus 1 plus 5 is...not 0.

The people who were smart enough to invent math were not stupid enough to put loopholes.

aprildog18

Feb 16, 2010
Wuffykins said:
For the record, those of us who are saying 'Whaa?' are probably seeing the equation like this:

Oddly enough that's how the calculator on my comp is choosing to interpret it as well. As mentioned before, the equation should be a written a little more specifically.
Your calculator is high then.

EDIT: OMG NO DELETE BUTTON, I DOUBLE POSTED D;

Bon_Clay

Aug 5, 2010
Saelune said:
TiefBlau said:
Saelune said:

Yes. Yes I would say that is 0. I was taught something and actually remembered it. And I thnk more people were taught PEMDAS than interchangabillity. And if say, this was on a test, I would likely win an argument that Im just using what I was taught.
If the people who taught you math would let you get away with that you should go throw batteries at their heads. Because that is uncool of them, the question in this thread is uncertain because of the clarity that standard keyboard versions of math notion are lacking. 5 - 4 + 1 = 2, forever and always.

TiefBlau

Apr 16, 2009
Saelune said:
TiefBlau said:
Saelune said:

Holy shit, is this guy for real?

You were taught PEMDAS wrong. Very, very wrong. It's nice to see that you lashing out against me for this, but the reality is that addition and subtraction are interchangeable and read left to right, and multiplication and division are the same.

You can argue with me on this, but you're still wrong. 5 - 4 + 1 really means 5 + (-1) * 4 + 1, and 6 / 2 * 3 really means 6 * 2 ^ (-1) * 3.

This is fact. You're not going to change this by "winning an argument". Drink it in, kiddo.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
TiefBlau said:
Saelune said:
TiefBlau said:
Saelune said:

Holy shit, is this guy for real?

You were taught PEMDAS wrong. Very, very wrong. It's nice to see that you lashing out against me for this, but the reality is that addition and subtraction are interchangeable and read left to right, and multiplication and division are the same.

You can argue with me on this, but you're still wrong. 5 - 4 + 1 really means 5 + (-1) * 4 + 1, and 6 / 2 * 3 really means 6 * 2 ^ (-1) * 3.

This is fact. You're not going to change this by "winning an argument". Drink it in, kiddo.
One, Im a girl, and two you're being a jerk. An obnoxious one at that.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Bon_Clay said:
Saelune said:
TiefBlau said:
Saelune said:

If the people who taught you math would let you get away with that you should go throw batteries at their heads. Because that is uncool of them, the question in this thread is uncertain because of the clarity that standard keyboard versions of math notion are lacking. 5 - 4 + 1 = 2, forever and always.
Thinking about it, I guess it would, since if I put it into a calculator, I would likely have done it in order. But in anything with more stuff, Id follow PEMDAS, and I dont think I should be put down for using what I was TAUGHT.

aprildog18

Feb 16, 2010
@Saelune
TiefBlau is still right though, and well....at least you learned now than later (hoping that you did learn from him).
Now...If I told you all dogs spontaneously combust, and you tell everyone in the world that, they are still going to laugh at you even if someone else told you it.

Jewrean

Jun 27, 2010
Ladette said:
It's 9 I believe, also fuck math.

Fuck college algebra too. Worthless information as far as my major was concerned, such a waste of my time. Yeah, i'm bitter about it 2 years later.
Then why did you choose the subject for the degree? Or are you talking about High School and therefore still just whinging like every other high-schooler?

Bon_Clay

Aug 5, 2010
Saelune said:
Bon_Clay said:
Saelune said:
TiefBlau said:
Saelune said:

Thinking about it, I guess it would, since if I put it into a calculator, I would likely have done it in order. But in anything with more stuff, Id follow PEMDAS, and I dont think I should be put down for using what I was TAUGHT.
That's why I said to throw batteries at their heads, not your own. PEMDAS (or BEDMAS as I was taught, its the same shit), is supposed to include interchangeability. If they didn't teach it that way they taught it wrong, its a fundamental part of that idea.

Jewrean

Jun 27, 2010
I have a better Mathematics question:

If the volume of Earth is 1,083,210,000,000 km cubed and the Mass of Earth is 5.9742 × 10 to the power of 24 kilograms then what is the average mass of one cubed meter of Earth? And no I'm not converting anything into the archaic imperial system for you.

Show your working.

Mythril225

Jul 10, 2010
the correct answer is 9,
and google agrees with me [link]http://www.google.ro/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=6%2F2(1%2B2)[/link]

TiefBlau

Apr 16, 2009
Saelune said:
One, Im a girl, and two you're being a jerk. An obnoxious one at that.
Saelune said:
Well, sure you can't be blamed for doing what you were taught, but that doesn't mean you should parade around the fact that you're wrong as if the teacher's words invalidate hard fact. This isn't a court trial. I don't care about supporting my team, playing by the rules, or "winning" anything. I care about being right, whether or not I have to correct myself. Maybe that's a little beyond you.