Poll: Anwar al-Awlaki's Death: Justice or Assassination?

Jan 27, 2011
...Why is this even an issue?

This is the nature of war. He was important to the other side, and thus, he was targeted. that's all there is to it. It doesn't matter what his initial nationality was.

Yes, it would have been nice if the US could have taken him alive and tried him properly and stuff, but still, war is war.

The_Vigilant

Jul 13, 2011
Caravelle said:
The_Vigilant said:
What a silly conversation. He was CLEARLY guilty of treason and the constitutionally prescribed punishment is death. I don't see the slippery slope here.
He was so CLEARLY guilty he never even got indicted. One of the, you know, constitutionally prescribed things you're supposed to do before executing citizens.

Besides, given the DOJ called "State Secrets" and refused to justify the assassination in court it's weird his guilt would be so CLEAR to random people on the internet. Has someone been leaking State Secrets ?
It's kind of hard to do all those funny little due process things to criminals hiding overseas and actively waging war against us. Pretty sure the framers would understand. And "state secrets" is just another way of saying "he's an enemy combatant sheltered by a foreign state that won't assist us with capture and extradition, so fuck his citizenship." I really don't have a problem with that. There are enough honest, hardworking people trying to get American citizenship that we really shouldn't have to bend over backwards to protect the "citizens" who would love nothing more than to see the United States collapse.

Caravelle

Oct 1, 2011
The_Vigilant said:
It's kind of hard to do all those funny little due process things to criminals hiding overseas and actively waging war against us. Pretty sure the framers would understand. And "state secrets" is just another way of saying "he's an enemy combatant sheltered by a foreign state that won't assist us with capture and extradition, so fuck his citizenship." I really don't have a problem with that. There are enough honest, hardworking people trying to get American citizenship that we really shouldn't have to bend over backwards to protect the "citizens" who would love nothing more than to see the United States collapse.
"Funny little due process things" ? Well so much for "constitutionally mandated". Do you even know why people thought fit to include those funny little due process things in the constitution ? You don't need someone to be physically present in the country to indict them.

And do you have a cite on the Yemeni government refusing to assist the US in capturing or extraditing him ? They seem to be fine with the US doing drone strikes in their country for years trying to assassinate the guy. They've also killed Al-Qaida operatives and even arrested people (some of them maybe-associates of al-Awlaki) on behalf of the US before :
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2010-06-07-yemen-detains-americans_N.htm

Not that this is relevant to indictment.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
He's a bad guy, pure and simple. It doesn't matter if he is a U.S. Citizen or not. Also, due process only applies when both parties consent to it. If a suspect refuses to surrender to the police and instead starts taking shots at them, lethal force is authorized. Similarly, this guy has effectively committed treason, but refuses to surrender to a trial of his peers and has instead hid in foreign countries while waging war against us. He forfeited his right to due process a long time ago.

Caravelle

Oct 1, 2011
"Similarly, this guy has effectively committed treason, but refuses to surrender to a trial of his peers"

What trial ? He wasn't even indicted.

Broken Blade

Nov 29, 2007
He was an American citizen who was murdered by my government without trial or being convicted of any crime. How am I supposed to see this as a positive thing?

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
Should have been tried in a court. I'm still on the fence about it morally(As in is it okay to assassinate people ever?) but our constitution grants unalienable rights to our citizens. One of which is innocent till proven guilty and the right not to be assassinated by our government. So going to have to side with the law on this one. It is the law after all.

Bluntman1138

Aug 12, 2011
Undead Dragon King said:
But al-Awlaki was also a natural-born U.S. citizen who left the country for Yemen in 2002. He was the first U.S. citizen to be placed on the CIA's "Kill or Capture" list. Some people and politicians have claimed that, despite the fact that al-Awlaki was an obvious threat to the security of America, his death might lead the government down a slippery slope of approved assassination of problem citizens, as now we know that just because you are born in the U.S. doesn't protect you from federal assassination.
One could also say he was a traitor. And treason is a Death Sentence in America. So lets classify it as justice, and be done with it.

Caravelle

Oct 1, 2011
bahumat42 said:
Stop making up the future because your paranoid.
It's not the future. At least I very much hope it's not the future.
It is the past though. The past where this kind of stuff happened all the time, and people didn't like it, so much that they set up the whole complicated system of "due process" to keep it from happening again.
So that's working out nicely.

And it's the present, in other countries that never really had due process or are further down the slope of giving it up than the US is.

No making up required.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
Bluntman1138 said:
One could also say he was a traitor. And treason is a Death Sentence in America. So lets classify it as justice, and be done with it.
Article 3 of the US Constitution
-Section 3 defines treason and its punishment.
"Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court."

"The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted."

Long story short, I agree.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I love obama now. And I voted for the other guy.

That is my take on this situation.

blaize2010

Sep 17, 2010
Saladfork said:
The man had declared his allegiance to a faction that was more-or-less at war with the United States, and was rightfully considered an enemy.

That said, while sometimes killing somebody is the only way to ensure the safety of others, I don't think death (of anybody) is something that should be celebrated.
not many people follow that philosophy. people thought i was strange when i wasn't out celebrating bin-laden's death. don't get me wrong, i'm glad he's gone, he was an evil man who deserved to die, but celebrating someone's death always seemed a bit... barbaric to me.
OT:he was trying to kill people. that makes the point of whether or not it was assassination or justice a bit moot. He had a hand in people's deaths, innocent people. Therefore, he forfeited his own life. and assassination and justice aren't always different things.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Of course it was justified. The elections are coming up, and so far it's Obama "2," Terrorists "0" and Republicans "awkwardly trying to talk around questions on gays, health care, and common sense while still trying to earn the vote from people who hate such things."

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hafrael said:
Therumancer said:
Undead Dragon King said:
In case you havn't heard yet, Al Qaeda firebrand and radical Imam Anwar al-Awlaki was killed by a U.S. drone airstrike in Yemen today. Most have applauded the killing as another major victory by the West in the War on Terror. al-Awlaki was an influential and tech-savvy instigator of jihad who radicalized many Muslims over the internet, and was responsible for inspiring the likes of the Ft. Hood massacre and "underwear bomber" of 2009 and the failed Times Square bombing last year. His death will no doubt have a negative effect on international recruitment for al Qaeda.

But al-Awlaki was also a natural-born U.S. citizen who left the country for Yemen in 2002. He was the first U.S. citizen to be placed on the CIA's "Kill or Capture" list. Some people and politicians have claimed that, despite the fact that al-Awlaki was an obvious threat to the security of America, his death might lead the government down a slippery slope of approved assassination of problem citizens, as now we know that just because you are born in the U.S. doesn't protect you from federal assassination.

Discuss. What's your take on this situation?

He effectively gave up his citizenship. Even if he didn't this is a case of outright Treason (even if the US doesn't like to use that term or pursue it for the most part) and as such there is no issue here at all as far as I'm concerned.

Killing people acting against the US? I'm all for that. I don't care where your from, if your trying to bring down the country for another set of principles, this is what should happen. This is only an issue because the US hasn't been assertive enough in the past. It's nice to be merciful and show restraint, but that should never be confused with us HAVING to be that way, or having some responsibility to let crimes and threats go.
I agree with most of this.

But, for a citizen he should have at least gotten a trial in absentia.

I disagree because reaction time is important, and trials like this are extremely expensive and time consuming, not to mention the fact that it would give a lot of time to enemy propaganda. One of the biggest problems with the US is that we don't act quickly and decisively enough when we have to, and when we do, we rarely do it forcefully.

My basic arguement is that in a time of war/conflict, guilt by association is absolutly fine in cases like this. It's sort of like if some guy from the US put on a Nazi Uniform and started goosestepping alongside Hitler's troops, there really isn't much room for misunderstanding, if someone joins the other side and works against the US, that's their problem. If they happen to be some kind of a special agent, that's a dangerous job for exactly this reason, and it falls under the umbrella of the intelligence services to handle this kind of thing. In general people who do deep cover work and long-term infiltrations know they might very well die being thought a traitor, and make that sacrifice just like a soldier would... one of the reasons why spies and secret agents are seen as something of a heroic profession despite all the dirt attached to them.

In this guy's case, the dude works against the US, he admits he works against the US, he rants about it and tells you this himself at great length via his websites and such. The dude was a recruiter who actively worked to convince people to fight against the US. There is no real need for a trial under the best of circumstances, one thing you can say for the guy was that he was quite honest about what he stood for.

But then again, I'm also one of those guys who pretty much thinks that in most cases when there is a confession you can pretty much just forego the trial. All TV dramas and stuff aside, I look at things like the whole "BTK" fiasco. The guy tortures and kills people to get his rocks off, when he's caught he admits it, and pretty much says "yep I did it, had a great time too" without showing any remorse. Why the heck bother to give him a stage to brag, or spend tax money to warehouse the guy? It's a differant version of the same thing, the last thing we need is to give people representing Al-Awlaki a platform.

Besides, I'd also argue that the desician to hunt him down kind of constitutes a trial of sorts, the military/intelligence services don't set targets lightly. All left wing propaganda aside, nobody is going to spend millions of dollars chasing someone down for no reason. What's more I'll be blunt in saying that the nature of the intelligence game means that trials are difficult, especially in cases where there is less overt evidence. If the goverment is acting based on intelligence gained from agents, they can't really out those sources for a trial and still have them. If you for example know someone is a terrorist because he's been fingered by another terrorist who is actually a US Agent acting as a terrorist to rat out and undermine the group, by definition that can't go public. Of course that gets into the whole issue of "spy trials" and military style justice as opposed to the civilian version and so on which is another massive arguement.

In short, I think this went down more or less perfectly.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
SnakeoilSage said:
Of course it was justified. The elections are coming up, and so far it's Obama "2," Terrorists "0" and Republicans "awkwardly trying to talk around questions on gays, health care, and common sense while still trying to earn the vote from people who hate such things."
The elections really aren't the topic of discussion here- especially domestic issues like you brought up. I'm going to clamp down on this line of thought before it derails the thread. I think your perceptions on the elections are flawed. PM me if you want to continue this.

jyork89

Jun 29, 2010
Broken Blade said:
He was an American citizen who was murdered by my government without trial or being convicted of any crime. How am I supposed to see this as a positive thing?
So if he wasn't an American it wouldn't be an issue? Are you implying that only Americans are people? I have no issue of him being killed, though I can think of reasons why not to judge him through the scope of a rifle or in this case the sight of a drone, However, the fact that he was an American citizen is not one of them. If you said, for example, I respect all men of all races right to stand fair trial for their crimes then your argument would have more weight. Instead it seems you, and quite a few people here hold the opinion, that the fact he was American makes it wrong.

Mach10

Mar 15, 2008
It's NEVER justice unless there is a trial, a judge, and a verdict.

No amount of "justification" negates this fact. Assasinating citizens puts the US on the same moral pedestle as the raving assholes who fly planes into buildings.

Congratulations. The Terrorists won.

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
Undead Dragon King said:
SnakeoilSage said:
The elections really aren't the topic of discussion here- especially domestic issues like you brought up. I'm going to clamp down on this line of thought before it derails the thread. I think your perceptions on the elections are flawed. PM me if you want to continue this.
I would actually like to see a thread of this. If you decide to make one can you shoot me a PM? Just saying.

OT: Guess I'll add more while I'm here, was on another forum that was talking about this. Someone said that due process should be followed regardless of citizenship of what country. Just thought that was an interesting though when concerning wartime and all that, thats were it get fuzzy. I mean if we had captured Hitler would we have given him due process? I think I remember from my history a lot of the Nazis were rounded up at the end of the war and tried. Though this is the new war as we like to say.

Oh and another thing, I'm curious as to how many people are against this simply because the other party did it? Noticed from the GOP debates how some of them have been talking about bringing the troops home, and how many democrats are riding the war train now that Obama has been delivering such as killing Osama and such.

Broken Blade

Nov 29, 2007
jyork89 said:
Broken Blade said:
So if he wasn't an American it wouldn't be an issue? Are you implying that only Americans are people? I have no issue of him being killed, though I can think of reasons why not to judge him through the scope of a rifle or in this case the sight of a drone, However, the fact that he was an American citizen is not one of them. If you said, for example, I respect all men of all races right to stand fair trial for their crimes then your argument would have more weight. Instead it seems you, and quite a few people here hold the opinion, that the fact he was American makes it wrong.
I will admit that I could have made my point clearer. My point was more that the fact that it was the American government assassinating an American citizen makes it worse. If it was a British citizen being assassinated by their government or an Isreali citizen being killed by their's, it would be equally as bad. I guess I meant to say it was an extra level of bad. Though it's not as bad as all of those civilians being killed by "surgical" drone strikes. And I feel that no one should be killed like this, that it's degrading to everyone involved and doesn't allow justice to actually happen. If someone has done crimes, they need to be put on trial for those crimes. It's why I was and still am opposed to the killing of Osama bin Laden. My government has a lot to answer for. This is just one more thing on the pile.

And I apologize if I inadvertently insulted you.