Poll: Anybody still buy gaming magazines?

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I got a subscription to one of them years ago, but I eventually let it expire because I really didn't feel it was worth the money any more. It was 50% ads, and 49% ads for games. It's easier to get a game for cheap on steam and own it than to fuss over how good the next AAA title is and blow $50 on hyped trash.

Besides, it's better to get several opinions online about a game instead of listening to what some guy who is paid to talk in a magazine says. Reviewers always get jaded after being forced to play games days on end. Their opinions mean little to me now.

Composer

Aug 3, 2009
I still have a subscription for game informer and
i still get Tips & tricks for the nostalgia

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I get gameinformer, but I now only read for the previews. The reviewers are all idiots. Let me type out the title and subtitle for "Kinectimals":
[h4]KINECTIMALS:
An adorable game with surprising amounts of depth.[/h4]
-Gameinformer

Because there's nothing deeper than petting nonexistant animals and feeding them.

z121231211

Jun 24, 2008
I used to subscribe to OPM and loved getting Demo Discs every month.

Still have a lot of them, and actually play the demo discs sometimes.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Dragging my desktop into the bathroom to read up on gaming while I pitch a deuce would be awkward in deed. So yes I have a Sub for Game Informer.

Jimmyjames

Jan 4, 2008
I used to have a game informer subscription. Just about the only time I ever read them I was on the toilet. Then I rediscovered the fun of my PSP on the toilet and never looked back. I beat Resistance Retribution while on the toilet. Not in one sitting.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Dfskelleton said:
I get gameinformer, but I now only read for the previews. The reviewers are all idiots. Let me type out the title and subtitle for "Kinectimals":
[h4]KINECTIMALS:
-Gameinformer

Because there's nothing deeper than petting nonexistant animals and feeding them.
There is also nothing deeper then blowing a hole through the head of a nonexistent person then pretending to stick your avatars nonexistent nuts in said victims nonexistent mouth.

Really the same could be said about any game.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
RoBi3.0 said:
Dfskelleton said:
[h4]KINECTIMALS:
-Gameinformer

There is also nothing deeper then blowing a hole through the head of a nonexistent person then pretending to stick your avatars nonexistent nuts in said victims nonexistent mouth.

Really the same could be said about any game.
I do agree that some games are like that, but what about:

Or

Or possibly

Or especially

Lol, just kidding, but the other 3... Well, you did say "about", and I guess there are only a few sparkling gems of depth today.
Then again, maybe it's just oppinions.

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
I think I'm still subscribed to Game Informer, but I don't think I'll resubscribe. I lost my faith in them after they named GlaDOS number one character of the decade, and even allowed Master Chief to be on the list. They're worse than IGN now.

Geekosaurus

Aug 14, 2010
I buy them every now and then. Like the other day I bought one at a motorway service station because there was a boring journey ahead of me. And it included a DVD with free Scott Pilgrim gamer pictures.

Beach_Sided

Jun 25, 2010
Sun Flash said:
Also, as added nostalgia factor, Games Master the magazine was a spin off from Games Master the tv show, hosted by Dominik Diamond and had Patrick Moore as a disembodied head moaning at children wanting cheats for the Sega MegaDrive. Excuse me, there's something in my eye...

haha, fantastic, I remember that show as well :)

And, like a few others here it seems, I subscribed to 'Game Informer' and I really like it. It has (IMO) very interesting and well researched features and articles on many things that I wouldn't think to read about elsewhere or search online about. So the reviews are good but not the main part of the magazine.

And we can't always be online (believe it or not), so it's good to get a fix when you're on the beach or travelling.

michaelod

Jan 3, 2011
I used to buy PSM quite alot, although that was mostly because inane stuff I said on their messageboard occasionally got printed in it.

BRMXJzjsoawk321

Jan 13, 2010
I've never had the money to blow on magazines but I'd like to subscribe to a PC gaming magazine at some point, just to have something to read while I'm on the toilet on a trip somewhere.

I've tried Game Informer before but even most of the previews were over games I didn't/don't care about.