Poll: Anyone else hate the Skyrim animal races?

AppleShrapnel

Jan 2, 2010
Freechoice said:
Good, because if you found them indulgently pleasing, we'd all point and laugh at you and call you a furry.
Oh? You do not think Khajiit is cuddly and warm? Silly human is sorely mistaken... and rude. Lydia turns into jelly on cold nights while in this one's arms. Had you been nicer, Khajiit might have put in a good word with its sister, but no. You will cower alone, shivering tonight.

Skooma could help, though. Perhaps you are looking to buy? If so, perhaps Khajiit is selling... but perhaps it is not. :3

Freechoice

Dec 6, 2010
AppleShrapnel said:
Freechoice said:
Good, because if you found them indulgently pleasing, we'd all point and laugh at you and call you a furry.
Khajiit might have put in a good work with its sister
Hmm, how good was the work?

God, spelling errors make my day.

AppleShrapnel

Jan 2, 2010
Freechoice said:
AppleShrapnel said:
Freechoice said:

Apologies, this one's claws do sometimes have a mind of their own. This error has been fixed.

But if typos make your day, Khajiit pities you. Not so much that you should expect to see its sister anytime soon, however. /:3

Freechoice

Dec 6, 2010
AppleShrapnel said:
Freechoice said:
AppleShrapnel said:
Freechoice said:

Apologies, this one's claws do sometimes have a mind of their own. This error has been fixed.

But if typos make your day, Khajiit pities you. Not so much that you should expect to see its sister anytime soon, however. /:3
Boy, you best stop these shenanigans or by Akatosh, I WILL get a spray bottle. Consider this a warning.

AppleShrapnel

Jan 2, 2010
Freechoice said:
Boy, you best stop these shenanigans or by Akatosh, I WILL get a spray bottle. Consider this a warning.
Khajiit will leave you alone, for all know how scary a fine mist of water is compared to bared claws... this one is being sarcastic, of course. /:3

Spritzing it is no more effective than bonking an ancient dragon on the head with a lit torch, so, sadly, Khajiit cannot consider that a "warning".

You are, of course, free to try again. Khajiit will humor you, for Khajiit likes humor. :3

Black Arrow Officer

Jun 20, 2011
I hate the Khajit because I just have a weird grudge against wandering nomads. I don't know, people in unguarded camps who are "too" accepting of strangers are just begging to have a dagger thrust into their spine while they're sleeping.

ZombieMonkey7

Dec 24, 2009
Ya they are pretty lazily done, but at least they are different. I mean what separates a nord from an imperial or a red guard. They all suck

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
They look ugly basically because their heads don't work on a human-shaped bipedal body. This is generally okay to me because "ugly" is basically the Elder Scrolls aesthetic for character design.

acturisme

Jul 21, 2008
If you don't like it, change it. There's a big mod community out there. Someone's got to have thought about an all human game mode.

JoshuaMadoc

Sep 3, 2008
acturisme said:
Someone's got to have thought about an all human game mode.
Oh god, you mean someone made a mod to make the game more boring? I feel like drinking acid knowing that.

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
I think they were better in Morrowind, the walking animations were changed for the Khajit and Argonians. But they were restricted in that they couldn't wear full face helmets or boots, so generally although it was much better in terms of role-playing they were fairly nerfed without any noticeable advantages.

Cannibal Johnson

Dec 29, 2011
Half and half. Basically I like the Argonians, but on the other hand I think the Kahjit are just plain stupid. Anyone agree with me on this?

bojackx

Nov 14, 2010
You seem pretty pedantic to me...

So what if they used the same animation? So what if they look like humans with animal faces and tails? I still think argonians and kahjiits (I sure hope that's spelt right) look really cool, hence why I'm playing through the game as an Argonian warrior and a Kahjiit assassin. If you don't like their appearance, then fine, but there's really not that much wrong with them...

AppleShrapnel

Jan 2, 2010
I think, lore-wise at least, the Khajiit we saw and played as in Morrowind aren't the same subspecies we saw and played as in Oblivion and Skyrim. I think I remember reading that a Khajiit's appearance could range from bestial (Morrowind), to humanoid (Oblivion/Skyrim) and even more Elvish... I think?

Sharing animation and resources between all ten races might come off as a bit lazy (lazy seems to be a part of capitalism and corporations, already, so that's not really news), but it frees up more time for Bethesda... I won't say they spend this time on polish or bug squashing, as that'd see more flames than Anduin did in his entire lifetime, but if nothing else it means we get the end product in our collective condescending, over-critical hands that much sooner.

JoshuaMadoc

Sep 3, 2008
PatrickXD said:
I think they were better in Morrowind, the walking animations were changed for the Khajit and Argonians. But they were restricted in that they couldn't wear full face helmets or boots, so generally although it was much better in terms of role-playing they were fairly nerfed without any noticeable advantages.
Sadly, it's the opposite for me. While I fully understood that fully-encased boots made for humans is basically a terrible idea for the token furries to wear, the walking animations looked absolutely retarded. They looked like they were walking with diapers that haven't been changed for years, and that hardly screams "cool". Nor did it actually look good at all.

Also, they seriously could've just had blacksmiths in the Marsh and Elsweyr to make custom footwear for the both of them.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Lilani said:
In exploring Skyrim this last week, I discovered something. I really, really hate the animal races, or anthropomorphs or whatever you want to call them. Conceptually and aesthetically. First of all, they make little sense as a race. I mean really, people who are EXACTLY like regular people but with animal hides and fur? REALLY? What is the evolutionary advantage to that? Why are the changes in physiology restricted to the head and skin? Why aren't their joints reversed like animals legs? Why aren't they more muscular, or more svelt, or taller or shorter or hunchback? It makes absolutely no sense. It's like they just said "Hurr derp, let's stick some random animal heads on our people and call it a day!"

Then they're just ugly and wreak of laziness in design. Because once you think about it, the reason their physiology is the same as regular people is obvious. If their bodies are the same, the same animations and scripts can be used to make them move can be the same as well. And then I just feel awkward looking at them. They're like a furry's wet dream come alive.

So please, somebody tell me I'm not the only one who really can't stand these things?
Personally I wouldnt mind being able to breath underwater, being resistant to poison and disease (especially if I lived in an environment where this was widespread) or being able to see in the dark. There are lots of positives with having fur in a world without electricity. You might rather ask yourself from an evolutionary standpoint why we DONT have it.

I dont mind them. I thought they looked pretty horrible in Oblivion, but they look quite ok in Skyrim. My toons in Skyrim have been a Dunmer and an Orc but I like having variety, and its at least something different than standard dwarves and elves.

My 0.2?.

TonyB500

Mar 4, 2012
Lilani said:
In exploring Skyrim this last week, I discovered something. I really, really hate the animal races, or anthropomorphs or whatever you want to call them. Conceptually and aesthetically. First of all, they make little sense as a race. I mean really, people who are EXACTLY like regular people but with animal hides and fur? REALLY? What is the evolutionary advantage to that? Why are the changes in physiology restricted to the head and skin? Why aren't their joints reversed like animals legs? Why aren't they more muscular, or more svelt, or taller or shorter or hunchback? It makes absolutely no sense. It's like they just said "Hurr derp, let's stick some random animal heads on our people and call it a day!"

Then they're just ugly and wreak of laziness in design. Because once you think about it, the reason their physiology is the same as regular people is obvious. If their bodies are the same, the same animations and scripts can be used to make them move can be the same as well. And then I just feel awkward looking at them. They're like a furry's wet dream come alive.

So please, somebody tell me I'm not the only one who really can't stand these things?
It's called creativity on Bethesda's part. Just because they're anthros they have to have feral qualities? And no, they're not just a furry's wet dream. Anthropomorphism is looked at as dirty because of everyone who only sees them as sexual fantasies, but anthro art is so much better than that and deserves just as much respect as any other art or media. Anthropomorphism is a genius concept that's been well received in every kind of media, especially the video game world. With the success of game series such as The Elder Scrolls, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sly Cooper, and arguably the two most popular video game series Mario and The Legend of Zelda. And if science and evolution (which I don't completely believe in) have taught us anything, it's that anthros will one day exist in the future (obviously not the near future, but the future nonetheless). And one more thing, remember that you're arguing about a video game, which isn't reality, so it doesn't have to be accurate with real life physiology. Your opinion is your opinion, but we don't have to agree with it, just like you don't have to agree with me.

Evill_Bob

Nov 18, 2009
Double A said:
Are you just speculating, or is this confirmed? I'm reasonably certain that Bethesda will do it, it's nice to know others feel the same, but it'd be even better to actually KNOW they're doing it.
Sorry for the month delay on responce but currently it's all still spectulation at he moment. However there are some stuff currently in game that are not being used that hint at two areas. Cyradil and Morrowind. Now it could be junk files they never got around to incorperating that may never get used but it shows that there has been at least some work into adding these areas.