Poll: Are Audiobooks Shameful?

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
So, over the past few weeks, I've "read" 2001: A Space Odyssey, Solaris, Slaughterhouse Five, the first two Foundation books, The Thing on the Doorstep, Shadow Over Innsmouth and several trashy Horus Heresy novels.

By "read", I mean listened to.

Whenever I discuss these novels with someone whose opinion of me I care about, I make sure not to specify that I consumed them in audio form.

Am I being an overly self-conscious pejorative, or should I just go commit Sudoku right now?

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I'm sure some people will try to shame you for listening to audio books instead of reading the books themselves, like listening to the books instead of reading them somehow makes you illiterate. Don't listen to these people.

I don't actually listen to audio books, but I don't think there's any shame in doing so. It takes a lot of commitment to sit down and read a book, because when you do so you can't do anything else. Listening to an audiobook is a lot more passive, and allows you to do other things at the same time (like driving), so they're much more flexible for someone with a busy schedule.

So long as you're still getting the same story does it really matter how you're consuming the material?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I have not listened to an audiobook is a looooooong time

last time it was a series of unfortunate events....read by Tim Curry

I kind of forgot they were a thing, I can totally see the apeal though, unfortunately I just bought an incredibly expensive ereader so no audiobooks or physical books for me

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
I don't like the format myself, but I can see why others do. Some people might have a hard time reading, which I understand, or they may want to do something else at the same time, or they're blind or whatever. Or maybe they're just lazy, that's completely valid too. There's plenty of reasons why people would prefer audiobooks and I have no problem with that. Anyone who is going to shun you for listening to audio books is a bit of a ****, to be honest, who needs to check out his/her priorities in life and how to judge people. Don't let that shit get you down.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I don't like them but I can see they can be really helpful for people with poor eyesight. My dad has a hard time scrutinizing the words in books so audiobooks keep him happy. I tried a short story once myself and didn't like it at all. I need to keep my own rhythm when I'm reading.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
Vault101 said:
last time it was a series of unfortunate events....read by Tim Curry
My god... I am so buying that shit. My childhood...

OT: The only books I have ever gotten an audiobook for were a shitty star wars book (seriously soured me on all adapted books) and an audiobook for Ulysses. After I was finished with that I actually read the book again, if only to try and make sense of it. Honestly, I see no problem with getting books in audio form. Saying that listening to audiobooks doesn't count strikes me as a "they sound better on vinyl" type of comment. Also I am just going to assume that the "sudoku" comment at the end was a joke.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Happiness Assassin said:
My god... I am so buying that shit. My childhood...

OT: The only books I have ever gotten an audiobook for were a shitty star wars book (seriously soured me on all adapted books) and an audiobook for Ulysses. After I was finished with that I actually read the book again, if only to try and make sense of it. Honestly, I see no problem with getting books in audio form. Saying that listening to audiobooks doesn't count strikes me as a "they sound better on vinyl" type of comment. Also I am just going to assume that the "sudoku" comment at the end was a joke.
it was "The Vile Village" #4 I think....

I tried to read Ulysses...then I realised I'm not an appreciator or fine literature and thats ok

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
Dirty Hipsters said:
It takes a lot of commitment to sit down and read a book, because when you do so you can't do anything else. Listening to an audiobook is a lot more passive, and allows you to do other things at the same time (like driving), so they're much more flexible for someone with a busy schedule.

So long as you're still getting the same story does it really matter how you're consuming the material?
It does if it means I've commitment issues and a poor attention span D:

Happiness Assassin said:
Also I am just going to assume that the "sudoku" comment at the end was a joke.
No, if the majority vote on the poll is "yes", I will literally disembowel myself to redeem my honor. Fo' serious.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
I love audiobooks, but only listen to them whilst I'm walking. I occasionally have them alongside the book so that I read when I'm at home and listen as I travel, but usually it's just one or the other. I wouldn't sit in bed listening to a book though, that's what books are for.

Also I wouldn't play games with audiobooks, that's what podcasts are for as I don't mind if I miss 20 seconds whilst the game requires thought.

That said, mini sidenote, anyone got any good games to listen to audiobooks with? Any MMO or ARPG works but would like something else.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Nope. As long as you can still read all you're doing is saving yourself the time. You still get to imagine everything in your head, which is in my opinion the main point of books.

vun

Burrowed Lurker
Apr 10, 2008
Audiobooks are cool, if anyone tells you that audiobooks are not cool they're a dolt and don't understand how books work.

I suppose you could argue that abridged versions are bad, although I'd say that depends on what the work is and if it's done well. Personally I'd never read/listen to abridged versions as I'd feel like I was missing out, unless I didn't have any interest in the works other than to catch up on the backstory for something else.

Mar 19, 2010
Well if you like them i do not see how anybody could think less of you for that.
All i know is that audiobooks cost more and likely take more time to get through them and it is a probably a bit more difficult to go few pages back to check some nme or a reference to earlier events in the book. So audiobooks are not for me i do not even like to read electronic books on my computer/phone. I think that paper books will always offer the best reading experience for me.
Although if you want to read on the go you cannot really do that while walking, also reading while on bus/mass transportation is a pain in the arse so there the audiobook is more convenient as well.

Esspytood

no Yabou
Dec 15, 2008
Audiobooks are a great companion for long distance travel behind the wheel, or at home for accompanying noise during a project.

You're most likely doing a lot of reading online anyway.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
I don't like them but I can see they can be really helpful for people with poor eyesight. My dad has a hard time scrutinizing the words in books so audiobooks keep him happy. I tried a short story once myself and didn't like it at all. I need to keep my own rhythm when I'm reading.
I agree about having your own rhythm. Also I like to be able to stop reading without having to reach for my device and press buttons. However, I would never have been able to actually read Lord of the Rings (I tried, it was long, rambling and very dull at the start), but I greatly enjoyed listening to the audiobook.

mrjoe94

Sep 28, 2009
I've actually subscribed to Audible recently and have listened to Dresden Files: Cold Days (Already read it personally) and it was great how one person could do a separate voice for every damned character :p.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Gotta admit it: I personally find audiobooks to be shameul. I don't ever listen to them.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
I can't see why it's any lesser of an experience to listen to an audiobook. Sometimes, the physical book is not readily available, or too expensive to be worth buying. Just because a book is read to you doesn't make it inferior to reading it yourself.