Poll: Are Graphics Really That Important?

Phenakist

Feb 25, 2009
I don't care about realism, I want something appealing to my eyes, people tend to go to video games to escape from the dull binds of real life.

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
LeonLethality said:
Peabob said:
Graphics date. Gameplay lasts forever.
Seconded.

This is why I can go back to FF6 and still love every playthrough.
This, essentially. Gameplay should always be considered a top priority, as should the story if applicable (RPGs, etc). I don't care if the characters aren't so detailed that it pushes into the Uncanny Valley. The more time they spend on making the breasts "bounce" right, or making the bodies glisten, etc.. the less them they have to actually make the game worth owning.

HoodedPunhist

Jan 4, 2010
If you ask me, I always prefer gameplay over graphics. Otherwise playing awesome games from the past (you name them: Fallout serie, Baldur's gate serie, Planescape, Arcanum, Lucasart adventure games and the list goes on). Even nowaday games don't always have to always have good graphics (on Crysis comparison) but I don't mind as long as it's fun and exciting to play. Though if design is just plain horrible then that I personally cound as minus.

If graphics are the main salepoint of the game though (again Crysis as example) then they are important. And the game is also going to have very short lifespan.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
Graphics aren't everything, but they certainly are important. I'm not going to pay sixty dollars for a game that has MGS1 graphics.

[sup]And I'm just using MGS1 as an example. I don't hate the game at all. In fact, its one of my all time favorites.[/sup]

gunbladejoe

Jun 4, 2008
well graphics kinda make the game in a way better. why? cause with better graphics comes more life like qualities. but then again there are some people who play games too not have a life like quality too them. eh either way there have been some really good games out there with some awesome grapics

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
Not for every game.
There are some that prove that graphics don't really mean anything. I'd play StarCraft over MW2, Crysis or some other high-end graphics game any day. Because the gameplay is so solid. Graphics are best for games that are trying to work on their atmosphere or for games that focus on exploration.

Hopefully an adventure game could be made with the crytek engine. Would be the perfect game for that engine and for good graphics

Aedwynn

Jan 10, 2009
Games are mostly visual entertainment, so graphics are important, IMHO. But I agree that they shouldn't be the 'be-all-and-end-all', as great graphics are very expensive and I'd rather they (the Games Developers) put more money towards a good writer, or a longer game (for example) than have true bleeding-edge photo-realistic graphics.

The fact that I wouldn't have to upgrade my graphics card as often if more developers stepped back from the pursuit of the bleeding edge has nothing to do with my opinion, of course... *cough*

Casual Shinji said:
Graphics aren't, visual design is.
This is a good point. I mean, I bought Psychonauts the other day and that's a great game to look at due to the really creative art direction.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
As long as its not Runescape graphics I'll survive. Dawn Of War 1's graphic isn't awesome but it's still good.

FrndlyMisanthrpe

May 28, 2009
Peabob said:
A quote for the ages, indeed. People are still playing games like Earthbound and Yoshi's Story on emulators or the original systems themselves. Games like PoPSoT, while the visual style is really cool, the graphics are average, are loads of fun to play.

acklumos

May 1, 2009
To me, graphics aren't a selling point, they're just a nice bonus. However, I sure as hell better be able to tell what's gong on. In Damnation (good God that game was awful) I could hardly even tell what was going on because the graphics were just horrid! I still play a few PS1 games on my PS3 and they have better graphics. I don't care how good the graphics are so long as I can figure out what is going on.

Dragoonit

Dec 12, 2009
Having a visually stimulating game is great...but i think the novelty has worn off a bit....some of my favorite games come from older systems and their genius is in the simplicity of the game and its mechanics

djpsykotiko

Jan 16, 2010
I love a game with great graphics and visuals, as just like a bird, I am attracted to shiny objects. However I have played many many games in which I am amazed by how well they look, and never get a chance to experience most of the work they put into it because I either lost interest in them from the start, or the game just plain sucked.

I'll agree that story comes before graphics, but if the visuals are choppy and aren't very easy on the eyes, I'm probably going to be weary of buying them. A good middle-ground works for me.

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
Peabob said:
No it does not.

Developers find ways to improve graphics over time. Same goes for gameplay. In my opinion anyway. Most 'old' games ('old' being a decade or more) I've found either too hard, too complicated, boring, or a combination of the three. There are some gems yes, but gaming evolves.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
2D graphics? awesome.
Blocky 3D graphics from the beginning of 3D? Won't touch it.
I can easily cope with the graphics of the PSone era though

Jul 23, 2008
They're an important part of game evolution, not the most important however.
They help the immersion in certain games, but as graphics get better we'll probably see a lot of uncanny valley style problems presenting itself.
That said, i've been completely enthralled with games like Deus Ex, where the immersion has been enough to allow me to ignore the dated graphics.
Let it be said i'm not a graphics whore, a good looking game is only as good as its gameplay. All i'm saying is that graphics are the second on the list after gameplay.

ThePirateMan

Jul 15, 2009
Gameplay is far more important then Graphics for me, but I'd rather not play a game that makes my eyes burn.

maffro

Aug 8, 2008
evilgrim said:
No.
I still prefer Power Stone 2 over Street Fighter 4.
And have you seen the graphics on that?!

As long as it's a great game I'll play it..
I don't care about story or graphics either..

I'll start rambling on about how "Pong" is still the greatest game of all time soon..

But no.
Oh god, Powerstone was just the best thing ever. EVER.

I miss my Dreamcast...