Poll: Are groups evil?

Snuggle

Apr 28, 2009
Here's a question I've been pondering about: I often see people being treated in ways that I would describe as cruel. Mostly in the form of slander (calling it evil might be a bit of an overstatement). And then I can't help but think, are groups fundamentally evil? Many forms of evil can only be performed if there is one or more groups involved in it. Lets take an extreme example; Hitler couldn't have done a lot of evil if he hadn't had people with the same ideas as himself. If he had been the only one he could only have performed a very limited amount of evil. I hope you get the idea (it's quite disorderly, I know.)

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Groups aren't evil. Conformity is evil.

Look at it this way. There's a bunch of people gathered in a room. All of them are unique, with their own ideas, thoughts and personal goals. That's a group.

Now imagine those same people, only this time, one of them suggest that they should get pitchforks and kill every Jew in sight. The others agree and quickly follow suit. That's conformity.

Now which is evil?

Puzzles

Aug 9, 2009
No, evil people are evil. Even evil people are not neccessarily wholly evil. Evil people probably have a few good attributes. Only the sith deal in absolutes. You aren't a sith, are you?

Seriously though, anything can be corrupted, and any innocent thing debased if someone so chooses. Groups are not evil any more than individuals are evil. Evil groups are more evil than good groups though.

I hope I have confused you as much as I have confused myself.

Gruchul

Aug 30, 2009
Evil is a concept that changes greatly between societies and with about as much divergence within. As such, it is impossible to answer this question without your notion of evil clearly outlined.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
The Spanish Inquisition may have questionable morals, but we exist to protect you from trolls!

[sub]Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition[/sub]

Also, Hitler got the support he did thanks to Germany being so fucked up.

Zand88

Jan 21, 2009
Watch a little film called "Bully". It's based on a real case, and sort of deals with the same subject. A group of kids commit a crime that none of them would think of doing had they not talked with one another.

ChaosTheory3133

Jan 13, 2009
In groups they do mental gymnastics and rationalize in an environment that will validate them properly. So yes, people do more evil in a group rather than as an individual.

DMonkey

Nov 29, 2009
What you are referring to sounds a lot like immature high school cliques...
Groups are normally good, and necessary...
Such as construction workers, a group of people getting together to build a skyscraper...
A lone man can't do that...
Also, a sense of community is very important to most people...
Friends, family, neighbors, all of that happy go lucky crap, working together to make a more pleasant place to live...
Religious groups give importance to find those who share your moralities and beliefs...
A group of friends are those who share your interests...
Political groups are good for......um.......I'm sure something!
Groups are needed for exploration, survivability, building, protection, and to fuck some shit up if the need arises...
And not all conformity is bad, people... you need to give a little to get anything done in this world, but these days everyone is busy being unique special little snow flakes to push in any way that could even be considered progress, and what is considered progressive is NOT DAMN PROGRESS! But that's a rant for another time.

Maybe you are not a group person, that's fine, neither am I... I like to spend my free time with a quiet night at home with a cup of joe, and a good game, or movie, but its also handy to have a bunch of people on speed dial to help move your couch.

Sounds like you are young, don't worry, these tight lil herds of uppity gigglers usually grow up when they enter the real world, and have reality pimp slap some common sense into their ideological heads of theirs...

I WROTE A BOOK FOR YOU!
/dismantles soap box
/use wood to make awesome fort

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
A group can just give an evil person the courage to do something blatantly wrong. Without a group they'd most likely just do little evil things that no-one would notice.