Poll: Are Kids today taking School for granted?

LostTimeLady

Dec 17, 2009
Billska said:
The title just made my day.

And I don't have any rock hammers on me.
Drat, got here after I could make this joke cos the title's been changed!

On topic:
I think it does depend where you like and what the school is like. If a young person is from a back ground etc where people didn't do well/couldn't be bothered with education then it just perpetuates. The reverse is true with pushy parents getting kids to work extra hard.

It is something that has been taken for granted in that in the UK, as with many other countries these days, education is state funded (unless you can afford privete education but now's not the time for that debate) so it's a given thing and people probably don't value it as much as those in countries where their is no state funding and you have to pay for day one to learn your ABCs. It's a different state of mind I think.

(Geology joke time: Hay man, I gniess, but don't take it for granite.)

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
It is because in America school isn't mandatory institution.
In Finland, if you are away from school for long enough, the police will find you and take you to school and then you get in to the swirl of social workers (which no one wants). This is till you turn 17 or graduate from 9th grade. Also, American schools do not get respected by the students. In the Finnish system, schools are: Free, Mandatory and lunch is also free - all to way to the university, also after 9th grade when you go to study - you get financial support to study.

American schools system and the American's mentality about education. Don't worry, when your financial market crashes and all factory jobs will be gone, education will get some respect again.

But: Stupid people are stupid.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Dastardly said:
Fetzenfisch said:
What, you are telling me it is not your job to do 100% of a kids education? Thats not what i pay taxes/fees for!You can at least try harder to fixhim/her!

:p
I feel with you colleague.
So you also work in "publicly funded daycare?" :)

In the thousands/millions of years we've been on this planet (depending on who you talk to), kids haven't changed a bit. It's parents that are different. Kids will always try to get away with as little effort as possible, learning as little as possible, and obeying as few rules as possible. The difference is that more and more parents are letting them.
Completely right. Being a kid hasnt sucked like this since the end of child labour in the western World. No one likes them, they are mere an annoyance that you must get rid of.They are sent away and have to function and succeed. So why not give them in the hands of "those lazy people who do the same stuff every year, so they dont have to work at all and get way to much money for all those vacation times they have".

dsawyers9

Aug 20, 2009
Speaking towards the US Education:
I would have to agree that most people in K-12 in the US don't care.
An issue we have right now is College is the only thing that matters. K-12 needs to be general education and we need to remove this "no kid left behind." This is one of the major reasons why K-12 students don't care because they don't need to care, they cant be left behind, unless they meet the specific outcomes documented to allow them to not move on.

Also, our college education is too general as well. The US needs college to be a focus education and remove these elective req. credits.

Red Right Hand

Squatter
Feb 23, 2009
I never really understood the fascination with people that are completely driven towards success.

I just want to be happy.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
The first page of this thread is just the same crappy jokes and puns, I thought the escapist better than that.

Anywhoo, after that little bit of arrogance and elitism ...

I think it's the same in my area, I remember very few people actually trying to get good results. Most of the time it was just a social event to talk to friends.

There is actually posters up in bus stops saying thing like "give school 100% attendance, it helps build confidence, meet new friends, improve your future" and they have this bright colour scheme and cartoony looking charachters.

I am at a loss who there aimed at though, little kids will be into the whole look of them but there not the ones skipping school, the older kids will see it as a pathetic attempt to make them into goody two shoes ... which isn't cool, so they won't do it and it looks really patronising to that age range.

On the flip side, I work with a bunch of high school drop outs and most of them have said "I wish I never dropped out. If I could go back to school, I would get my head down and try and get good grades".

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Sexual Harassment Panda said:
Chefodeath said:
Jesus christ people, he made a slight mistake. You all sound like morons calling him out on the exact same thing.

"That depends, is his school made out of a rock? Hurr Hurr, I'm smart."
Boulder-dash.

The premise maybe a little eroded, but our puns are slate-of-the art!
Hahahahahahahah! I'm so delighted I'm glad I just peed.

Rienimportant

Jan 12, 2010
I don't think they're taking it for granted. I think that a lot of them don't utilize it, don't see how it will help them, but that doesn't mean taking it for granted. But yes I fear as well. We're some messed up people nowadays.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
No. At least, it shouldn't matter to you.

In school, there are 5 types of people.

1. The people who never skip a class and spend an inordinate amount of time studying. These people graduate at the top of their class, usually getting some sort of honors for grades and college credit, etc.

2. The people who study hard, but don't take school too seriously. They get the grades they need to go where they want, but don't sweat the small things.

3. The people who study somewhat and get middling grades.

4. People who slack off and get somewhat bad grades.

5. The big slackers who never come to class and fail everything.

I think most people fall into groups 2 and 3. 2 is best, but 3 is ok.

4 and 5 are not taking it seriously enough, but who cares? That is their problem. The world needs janitors and garbage men (not to insult garbage men or janitors, but it cannot be denied that these jobs require very little education.) That said, it is a tragedy when someone who really could have made something of themselves is doing this.

People in group 1 are taking it way too seriously. Speaking as someone on the other side of the education system with stable employment in my choice career, no one cares what you did in high school. If you got the grades and test scores to get your choice of higher education, nothing else you did in high school matters.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
For one, it would be better if they did make us take pointless shit. In my high school, we had to take more english than anything. First two I had were honors, and after that it was simple, and senior year english was a joke. The teacher was actually surprised when I did my work and turned it in. Same with college now. I'm a computer science major, why do I need science classes to graduate? Hell, why did I have to take then intro CIS class? If I'm going to be a CIS major, I'd think I'd know how to right click already (I'm not joking, she actually taught us how to right click one day).

DrOswald said:

1. The people who never skip a class and spend an inordinate amount of time studying. These people graduate at the top of their class, usually getting some sort of honors for grades and college credit, etc.

2. The people who study hard, but don't take school too seriously. They get the grades they need to go where they want, but don't sweat the small things.

4 and 5 are not taking it seriously enough, but who cares? That is their problem. The world needs janitors and garbage men (not to insult garbage men or janitors, but it cannot be denied that these jobs require very little education.) That said, it is a tragedy when someone who really could have made something of themselves is doing this.

People in group 1 are taking it way too seriously. Speaking as someone on the other side of the education system with stable employment in my choice career, no one cares what you did in high school. If you got the grades and test scores to get your choice of higher education, nothing else you did in high school matters.
So I don't exist? Awesome. I slack off, sleep in class, don't study, don't always do my homework, and get mostly A's and B's.

KingofallCosmos

Nov 15, 2010
I know my school took me for granted; so I quit 3 months before the final exam. Who's laughing now, school?

OT: naw, just pay the teachers better. This new system (in holland) leaves little to do for teachers. Kids today aren't stupid, but they need to learn to think for themselves, not copy everything from their books(or the web or w/e); for that you need a good teacher.

Edit: I see others have already made this point. I answered directly after reading the thread because I think people worry too much about these things.

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
The majority adolescents, in the area in which I live, do take education for granted in that they see education more as an intentional irritation and something to avoid than something they should be happy to receive. However saying this, it is certainly not entirely their fault. The minority should be the dissatisfied and behaviorally compromised.

Methods of teaching are getting more archaic, heavy handed, ineffectual and not engaging. I myself found, despite having a deep appreciation for education and learning, I was bored to tears with the poor quality of teaching I was receiving that was counter-intuitive. Teachers can be dull, over-righteous, egotistic and irrational, all of which is fuel for the disruptive and fatal to the subject ever garnering a students attention. Take my science teachers for example; I so loved the subject in high school (despite at this point me now realising much of if was simplified lies and the core basics of what forms the foundation of scientific understanding) yet my teachers were very hit and miss. For the last 3 years, I had two of the most fascinating women I have ever met teach me the subject and that completely rekindled the fire to throw myself deeper into the subjects. However the two years prior to these were less of an unequivocal success, the teachers often getting unduly upset about the most trivial things and spending more of the lesson trying to instill discipline than teach in an interesting and engaging manner. You have to know how to make igneous rock formations a transfixing subject, which is by no means easy, but just being as heavy handed and angry as possible is not effective.

I still bear respect and admiration for mathematicians, but thanks to a series of completely inane and irrational rage fueled teachers who doled out obscene favouritism and considered math unparalleled in importance going so far as to show open disdain to English studies, I never enjoyed the subject and descended into doodling, trying to manipulate the calculators and even listening to music when I saw some, here unmentioned, teachers going into a rant which I knew would take the rest of the lesson.

Additionally, it is up to parents now to raise children who are fascinated by the world by answering their questions and feeding their curiosity, while providing a stable and supportive background free of, and caps to stress this, IRRATIONALITY. Most of parents of these adolescents are contemptuous of education and consider academia superfluous when compared to our local teams league standings (Football (English) if your curious).

So yes, they're taking it for granted, but it isn't entirely their fault. The education system is archaic and condescending. Teaching is blunt and not engaging. Parents instill a sense of superiority through not being educated in their children. It's a perfect storm of apathy.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Assassin Xaero said:
For one, it would be better if they did make us take pointless shit. In my high school, we had to take more english than anything. First two I had were honors, and after that it was simple, and senior year english was a joke. The teacher was actually surprised when I did my work and turned it in. Same with college now. I'm a computer science major, why do I need science classes to graduate? Hell, why did I have to take then intro CIS class? If I'm going to be a CIS major, I'd think I'd know how to right click already (I'm not joking, she actually taught us how to right click one day).

DrOswald said:

So I don't exist? Awesome. I slack off, sleep in class, don't study, don't always do my homework, and get mostly A's and B's.
Group 3. You get middling grades for what you are capable of.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
DrOswald said:
Assassin Xaero said:

DrOswald said:

Group 3. You get middling grades for what you are capable of.
Last 3 years of high school I had maybe 3 B's (Government Honors, Advanced Chemistry, and Advanced Placement Calculus), all the rest were A's (Trig, AP Chemistry, AP US History, Spanish I-VI, to name a few). I don't really see how that is considered "middling", especially for the classes I was in. College, well... quizzes/tests are what knocked me down to mostly B's. Apparently they are easier if you read the book...

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Yes, but so did kids 30 years ago, it's not a new thing, it's just kids being kids.

Robert2812

Jul 28, 2010
Stop over-analysing things, if you really had a problem with this you'd simply realize you were obviously "smarter than them" now go discuss it with someone real, or who cares.

also, this school sounds remarkably rain-proof.

Mavinchious Maximus

Apr 13, 2011
Korten12 said:
Here in America (specifically New York) I try my hardest in school and get high moderate to Good grades (amazing in Social Studies. :D) but I noticed many, seem to not give a damn in the world and just hang about, getting drunk, getting low grades, talking when teachers talk, just overall just not seeming to care that High School will have effect on their lives.

Many skip classes, go about doing stupid things, and just never seem to get the memo that they aren?t going to be successful. I school has made these PSA things about staying in class, doing work, etc, and while they?re cheesy, there true.

No matter it seems how much they push that school is important, it seems like many kids just don?t care and then walk away with their pants slightly down and thinking they?re ?gangster.? It just sickens me and I almost fear for our generation.

I can?t speak from experience but I assume it?s not as bad in foreign countries.
i guess the kids are to busy playing with that stone mason Alex in call of duty

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
its not kids today. its kids every generation. school is boring. the school systems need to do something to fix this.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
joshthor said:
its not kids today. its kids every generation. school is boring. the school systems need to do something to fix this.
Alternately spoiled brats should learn that not EVERYTHING in life is or can be fun, and make a little effort. Fun does not equal useful.