Poll: Are motion controls good for gaming.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
I would say at this point, it's barely useful. I have yet to play a single game that really made me think "Wow, the $200 I blew on Move controllers, charger, and a nav really paid off!". I really wish they'd either dedicate some people to making the hardware actually work well or just say "FUCK IT" and just drop the shit out of the whole thing.

That's just me though, I don't have much hope for the future of motion controls at all, seems like a pretty pointless dead end after actually owning the stuff.

Motion controls = Modern day Power Glove

plastic_window

Jun 29, 2008
DeadlyYellow said:
plastic_window said:
Somewhere down the line you'll be able to play a game by walking around and touching stuff instead of pushing buttons on a chair.
I dunno, I'd find waving my hands in front of my face incredibly distracting when I'm trying to play a game. The controller relies on muscle memory. You know where all the buttons are, so you don't need to think about what you're pressing or trying to remember gestures.

Besides, if I wanted to walk around and touch stuff I'd just go outside.
I'm talking about virtual reality. You will not want to go outside.

Mad1Cow

Jan 8, 2011
Making the industry bigger and bringing in a bigger target market...yeah that's good, thanks motion controls...

Immersing the user in an engaging narrative and brilliant controls...meh...could still use work...

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
They way I see it, they were an interesting novelty, but ultimately, people game to relax and making them jog on the spot every now and then won't help them enjoy anything. They're useful to fat, old people and those who have too much disposable income.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
yes, but it depends on the game. it could bring about more console RTS games, replacing the mouse with a motion remote. obviously in first person games they can bring about realism with the weapons, so the remote acting as a gun or sword. also obviously, racing games can use motion controls rather effectively.

however i do not think they should replace current control systems, not by a long shot. if a game is designed specifically for motion controls, fine, but sometimes i want to be able to play sat down, being as lazy as possible. i have gotten used to certain control schemes in a way that it doesn't feel like i'm using a controller, it feels like an extension of myself, and as a result using a controller does not break immersion at all. currently i would say motion controls not registering are more of an immersion breaker, so until they are perfected, they are a nice addition, but not an replacement

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
plastic_window said:
Ah VR. The final step of human civilization. Mostly because everyone will either die of malnutrition or depression after it's implementation.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
Not as they're utilized right now. They're not bad for gaming, really, but they're not really contributing anything that's bound to last, either. It's little more than a gimmicky distraction at this point.

gussy1z

Aug 8, 2008
They dont add anything to the game for me. I dont think theres any cheap way to make a game more immersive. I have never felt detached from a game by using a controler or a keyboard. Its almost as if there finding a solution to a problem that never existed. Immerive games make games immersive, not the technology...(ok apart from guitar hero).

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Motion controls need feedback. Recoil when you fire, force when you hit something, heat or cold or tingles when you cast a spell. Could you imagine how immersive an RPG would be if you throw a fireball you feel warm? Throw a bolt of lightening and feel tingles? Fire a weapon and feel the recoil, different strength recoils for different kinds of gun? Force feedback is what's needed for me to completely buy into motion controls.

plastic_window

Jun 29, 2008
DeadlyYellow said:
plastic_window said:
Ah VR. The final step of human civilization. Mostly because everyone will either die of malnutrition or depression after it's implementation.
It's gonna be fun on the bun! :3