Poll: Are Skyrim enemies overpowered?

Raven_Operative

Dec 21, 2010
The only problem i've had is the mages having a ridiculously large mana pool. used all my mana to continually cast one of those shock stream spells to drain his mana, and somehow he still kept hurling fireballs at me.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Well, I had my first battle with Lich at level 19, as Battlemage (Conjuration + Destruction + Archery/Two-handed in Light Armor).

With a help from a wandering Hunter (I kiiinda got a quest with him, then broke it by triggering dragon - dragon killed the fugitive he was chasing, and hunter died to lich), a dozen or so Magicka potions and an anti-undead scroll worth 500 gold I finally killed him. 6 or 7 tries.

Also Dwarven dungeons make me cry when half of the time the constructs keep resisting my spells, runes and shouts.

Teda64 said:
Yep though for me it's with bears
Jesus Christ, the bears. Met two of them at once.

...One killed after a LOT of fighting, and the other ran away...

Hawgh

Dec 24, 2007
Haven't had too great problems. Except for that lich guy in the mage quest who killed me if I showed an inch of my scaly skin for more than half a second. But then he got stuck behind a rock, his magicky hand flailing impotently at a strut, shooting lightning into the floor.

Korey Von Doom

May 18, 2008
The game takes a bit more strategy then previous titles, also roll with a companion. Me and J'zargo got attacked by 3 spiders, 3 Wolves, a troll and two bears at one time, it was the craziest thing I've ever seen, but we won.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Yeah, sort of. But on the other hand, the bandit leader is basically a dungeon boss fight. If you plan your attack correctly, you will be able to beat them.

Bears and sabre cats piss me off to no end though.

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
Aptspire said:
I guess the trolls are, but when I met the "golden claw" boss(I was level 3 or so), I got killed...three times
I then switched my shield for healing spell and kept a 'hit and run' strategy, and he eventually died. In conclusion, I believe that this game is beatable, as long as you're willing to adapt a little
My 2 level character currently in that very dungeon is now very scared to complete it... XD

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
I actually like the level of variance in the enemies, because rather than appearing to slingshot randomly on the difficulty scale, the challenges are fairly consistent. Wolves are a slight challenge to a new player and get very easy to kill as you get stronger. Bandits range from the hapless "why did they even let you in this gang" mooks who get slaughtered by any sufficiently skilled adventurer to the dangerous "Oh crap I may have to run away or call in backup for this one" chiefs and everything in between. I can always expect a challenge from a Dragon Priest, and I can always expect low-grade draugrs to walk into my sword and die. My only real issue is that dragons can sometimes be disappointingly easy, though that varies by terrain and the level of dragon.

Kra_Xi_Wan

Jun 25, 2011
Another issue I've run in to (PC version) involves loading. I realize that my PC isn't the best, but it has a triple core processor,1gb video card, and 2gb ram, plus the graphics and resolution are set to the lowest they can be, and the game still figures out some way of loading the scenery painstakingly slowly. It's a serious problem when you can't get where you're going because you're waiting on a bridge to manifest.

mortalsatsuma

Nov 24, 2009
People getting trouble from bears? really? I've killed dozens, most with just a level 3 unrelenting force shout. They never give me any trouble.

Norks

Jan 21, 2010
Dragons should be the most powerful, it doesn't make sense that I'm killed easily by giants and trolls and sabre-cats and mammoths, when I actively hunt dragons to farm souls from them. doesn't make sense.

anian

Sep 10, 2008
Giants and trolls are really OP but giants are usually in the plains (though unlike the demos, they will attack you even unprovoked) and don't regen health and are rather slow in attack and in movement, but those snow trolls, god damn it, even though I had decent destruction magic (though I'm a 1h with restoration in the other hand) and fire did squat, wasted all my mana but I barely scratched it. After several deaths my tactic was "run and hide" (even though I was afraid for my follower which wouldn't be coward, but while he was brought to his knees I ran away and later he caught up with me...don't know what happened, don't really want to)

Btw I only got 1 dragon shout plus the one I got at the top of the 7000 steps mountain, I must be crazy cause it does basically nothing, it kind of stumble an enemy but I seriously hope there are better ones out there.

Also, while dragons aren't that though so far, if you're not proficient in either destruction bolts or archery, you basically have to wait till you find that one spot where you can get the dragon to actually land before you can attack it. Again thank god for companions which are better at archery than me.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
mortalsatsuma said:
I play Skyrim on the normal difficulty and it is a really fun game, but one problem i have with it is that some enemies just seem hideously overpowered.
heck no! you ever play oblivion? by comparison skyrim is a cakewalk!
if you're having problems i can only assume you've leveled up non combat skills quite heavily
try focusing on combat skills, buy a few pieces of armour, or craft yourself some
if you cant deal with combat yet, go pick flowers and make potions, sell them for upgrades
( potions are very valuable, btw )
hope that helps!

Norks said:
Dragons should be the most powerful, it doesn't make sense that I'm killed easily by giants and trolls and sabre-cats and mammoths, when I actively hunt dragons to farm souls from them. doesn't make sense.
i thought this too, but you are specifically a dragon-hunter so by default you should have the best chance of taking those down compared with the other 'super-powered baddies'
it's bizzare logic, but logic none the less

KelsieKatt

May 14, 2008
I've found the opposite issue, which is why I turned up the difficulty. Now I actually have to use planning during fights instead of just charging in and wailing on stuff until I win. And in some cases I have to come back later because I'm not powerful enough.

Which is how I like it. Although, there will come a point later on when I'm just too strong and everything becomes weak and too easy again, but that's also part of the fun when I eventually feel like some kind of god after slowly working my way up to the top.

mortalsatsuma

Nov 24, 2009
Satsuki666 said:
No skyrim enemies are not overpowered in fact most of them are extremely easy. The only way I could see them being overpowered is if you didnt level any of your combat skills up.
I'm level 60 one-handed with full heavy armour with both skill trees almost all filled up. My combat skills are pretty solid.

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
Inconsistants right, I killed a bear and one of those big cats with ease, then a Frostbite Spider came out of nowhere and took a bigger chunk of my HP off compared to either of the other two, I was so confused lol.

Valthek

Aug 25, 2008
One word: Krosis
dude's impossible
fireballs, antimagic, resists poison, life detect
and ridiculously high level

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
Yeah, but I'm glad it's there, since most of the enemies seems a bit easy. Hell, I think my character is OP when she gets 30X sneak damage with a knife.