Poll: Are Skyrim enemies overpowered?

mortalsatsuma

Nov 24, 2009
I realise you're probably all sick of Skyrim threads by now but this is something which has been bugging me and my friends for a while now. I play Skyrim on the normal difficulty and it is a really fun game, but one problem i have with it is that some enemies just seem hideously overpowered. I'm not talking about giants or dragon priests etc, they're powerful because they should be, no. What bugs me is that recently I encountered a bandit leader who managed to kill me in three hits. I was wearing upgraded dragonplate armour at the time and so i was pretty pissed off especially considering i have slain over 10 dragons, none of which had given me much trouble. So just how come some enemies, who should be relatively weak, are more powerful than creatures such as blood dragons?
Just to be clear, I'm not saying all enemies in Skyrim are overpowered, just some are, especially those pain in the arse frost trolls. Encounter one of those at level 1 and you'll be pretty incensed.

So, over to you. has anyone else encountered annoyances like this in Skyrim?

PunkyMcGee

A Clever Title
Apr 5, 2010
some enemies need a better planing than fighting head on. that's my finding anyway. then again I rolled up a sneaky ranger type character.

Sir Broccoli

Sep 17, 2008
Nope, I actually really like the difficulty level of Skyrim. I find myself relying on my powers, potions, scrolls and spells. You know, like I should.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
I guess the trolls are, but when I met the "golden claw" boss(I was level 3 or so), I got killed...three times
I then switched my shield for healing spell and kept a 'hit and run' strategy, and he eventually died. In conclusion, I believe that this game is beatable, as long as you're willing to adapt a little

Lawnmooer

Apr 15, 2009
The majority of enemies aren't bad, but some are just a pain.

The big guy at the end of dungeons/caves/etc is usually tough for me.

Falmer arn't tough but are annoying.

Bears are attracted to me (Every time I see a dragon a bear or 3 appears...)

Really for me the biggest annoyance is spell users early on, with their seemingly endless magicka supply and their ability to keep up with me while I'm sprinting keeping fire/ice/lightning pelting my arse... Their armour buffs can also make them tougher than the full plate wearing bandits...

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
Gabanuka said:
Not really, aside from that motherfucking troll.
Dual wield some Fire type Destruction spell and napalm his ass.

That works, 'cause Trolls hate fire & it cancels out their healing ability.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
The only overpowered thing is those guys with the two handed weapons that are like "What's that? You don't heal at HALF HEALTH? WELL THEN FUCK YOU WITH A RUSTY SPORK" and smash my face in with a warhammer, insta-kiling me.

ChaosGenesis

Mar 11, 2009
You know that you can change the difficulty setting at any time in the options menu, right?
That said, I haven't had a problem yet on Adept. A game in which I never die is a game that's way too easy for me and I haven't died enough to get upset about it so...... I might go up a difficulty level if it doesn't get harder soon.

MasterMakayo

Jul 22, 2010
I find the difficulty level in combat to be an improvement over Oblivion. Of course, in Oblivion, I also tended to just 100% chameleon everything.

I have developed a save frequently habit when it comes to the Draugr dungeon bosses. Usually for me now it all boils down to running circles around them using the Marked for Death shout and either hacking away at them or blasting them with dual magic, whichever turns out more effective against the boss. Dragons don't give me a lot of trouble most of the time, because I can usually kite them to a nearby town and have the guards help out. Guards, as it stands, are very helpful against dragons. The only time I've gone after a dragon by myself was when I took Lydia with me, and killed her when she got in the way of my arrows.

Bambi On Toast

Sep 9, 2011
As an Oblivion fan, I'm loving how Skyrim is more balanced.

Like Oblivion, I'm playing on normal difficulty. I actually find myself dying quite a lot. Bandit leaders sometimes take a few tries, finding the best strategy. The combat is more fun since you have to try different strategies sometimes to triumph.

For example, I'm a straight up 2hander warrior Orc guy. I can kill most things in 3-4 hits like Giants and the weaker varieties of Dragon. I can take on 10 bandits at once with not much trouble. However, I can still find Bandit Mages/Hagravens which can take all of my hp in 3 seconds before I even get close to use my axe. The stronger Necromancers are especially deadly. While some may call it OP, I say it's great design.

Mages casting frost spells are gonna slow heavy warriors to almost a standstill and they won't stand a chance. So now you've gotta find different ways. I often have to use all kinds of spells, potions and shouts to kill the harder casters. Personally, I use the Spellbreaker shield with the Elemental Protection perk against casters. The combined 50% reduction of spell damage and 60 pts spell ward stops most spells scratching me, provided I hold block. It's a good method for warriors.

As for the other Monsters... they aren't so hard really. Trolls are fun to fight, and so are Bears. Sabre Cats were tough bastards when you encounter them at low level, but become complete pussies at higher levels. I thought I would never kill a giant either, but get a decent block skill and they're dead. Their attacks are laughably slow.

Shane McCay

Oct 18, 2011
The difficulty is just right for me! Until I got a proper sword-and-board type, I was not doing well. Now, it's a different story.

Sir Bob

Jan 14, 2010
I encountered one Silver Hand guy on Master when I powerleveled my trade skills ahead of my weapon / armor skill, he shieldbashed me to bits :*( Otherwise its only the dragons that cause lasting problems, but that is only on this particular savegame on Master. On normal I had no such problems.

Shane McCay

Oct 18, 2011
Lawnmooer said:
Bears are attracted to me (Every time I see a dragon a bear or 3 appears...)
I hear their periods attract bears...THE BEARS CAN SMELL THE MENSTRATION!

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
The only overpowered enemies I can think of are the "Bandit Leaders" that can somehow kill me with 4 hits from a mundane weapons even while blocking.

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
I'm playing a stealthy dual dagger + bow wielding light armor user.

If I get the jump on something or otherwise get to start the fight on my terms.. they are dead. No ifs or buts. Stealthing up behind a patrol and silently cutting all their necks one by one unnoticed is delicious. As is finding a good hiding spot and shooting a room dead as they struggle to find me.

If i'm jumped though.. different story. I'm usually in trouble.

I guess with the type of character i'm playing that's how it is.