Poll: Are Sports Pointless?

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
A bunch of people sitting around a tv eating salty/fried snacks and consuming sugar-loaded soft drinks so they can watch 2 teams of people working out....What's pointless about that?

Rin Little

Jul 24, 2011
Oh yea, lets start paying these guys to run around on a field when tuition rates are high enough and half the time these sports players are getting scholarships to college all because they played a sport...

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
If football players get played to play at a College, then naturally the winds in the Symphony should also get paid.

The issue here is representing the College. Colleges want to have attractive programs, so they'll pay good football players as an incentive to get others to come to their College.

Colleges ultimately, so long as they are private, can do whatever they want when it comes to paying students or not paying students.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Aprilgold said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Snip

shurikenshado4 said:
Snip

tippy2k2 said:
Sarah Frazier said:
Can you give me a good reason why? I see a lot of people say that athletes shouldn't be paid millions but why?

People are willing to pay big money to see these people play. Why do they not deserve a large chunk of that?

Not to mention, the average career for a lot of these people might be a decade. That's assuming they can stay at a high level competing with a new generation every year or a freak play doesn't snap their leg in half. Even players who play in "lower impact" roles like Terrell Owens have to deal with chronic injuries that are going to affect them for the rest of their life.
On the injuries bit, it comes with the gig, by your logic, soldiers should be payed MILLIONS to go to war and fight, because more likely they will have a injury they will never recover from or a very long recovery time.

My problem with the amount they get payed, how much will go back into their country or back into a good cause? Now there are only allowed about 47 people on one NFL rooster at any given time that play, lets say that the players donated a quarter of a million dollars to any given charity or to the government or whatever.
If they did, it would balance out too 1,125,000$ to the party that they are giving to. This number may vary on players, but there's the idea right there. They still have 75% to themselves, and just gave a large amount to whatever party.

If their being PAYED so much and their keeping it to themselves, then I am rather annoyed. If their not going to do something good with that amount and just spend it on themselves, then I am very saddened by the selfishness of the act.
You pulled out a small part of my argument about the injuries and act like that was the only reason I thought they should be paid millions.

How much money has to go to a good cause? That's how you determine if someone should get paid a lot of money and that's your argument for why they shouldn't be making all that money? They made the money, why do they have to donate the money if they don't want to?

The fans are willing to pay for these tremendous amounts to watch these guys play, why do the players not deserve a cut of that?

Denariax

Nov 3, 2010
Sports can exist to take the mindless moron demographic of America away from video games so we can get new and interesting ideas instead of Call of Madden Football Warfare.

Sports video games should die.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
All entertainment is pointless. Pro athletes are entertainers, so yes. But do you really want there to be no entertainment?

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
tippy2k2 said:
You pulled out a small part of my argument about the injuries and act like that was the only reason I thought they should be paid millions.

How much money has to go to a good cause? That's how you determine if someone should get paid a lot of money and that's your argument for why they shouldn't be making all that money? They made the money, why do they have to donate the money if they don't want to?

The fans are willing to pay for these tremendous amounts to watch these guys play, why do the players not deserve a cut of that?
1Mil, 1 fucking Mil, do you know how much of that, even going to a small cause, would do? And, once again, I'm not saying they shouldn't get payed, but think of how much money is going away and / or to their own selfish pleasures. If I had one million a year, I would donate about half of it to any good cause I can think of. And no, I did not pull out one piece of your arguement, merely started on one bit of it. Not counting that you were mainly asking questions.

I'd rather have that money head to a good cause, like, BUY A TICKET TO THIS EVENT, GIVE BACK TO X GOOD CAUSE! Hell, 750K is a lot of money for a very large amount of people, while 25K may still be a hefty sum for many, why not donate a quarter, which is 250K to any organization of your choosing instead of being selfish and just using that money on yourself.

Xangi

Mar 4, 2009
Sports are, in my opinion, a substitute for war as an outlet for our aggression and natural competitive drives. As such, they are quite important for keeping the peace both in small communities and internationally, as they allow us to compete in a non-violent (for the most part) way.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
I think professional sports are ridiculous. A man does not deserve £11m a year for poncing about on a football pitch kicking a bit of leather into a goal occasionally and falling over the rest of the time. THAT IS FUCKING RIDICULOUS.

PZF

Nov 1, 2011
Baseball? no, stand around on a field for most of the game, quite boring, no one ever gets hurt.

Basketball? no, they run a lot, have to shoot from far away some times.

Soccer? gosh no, just a drama club in uniforms on a field.

Football(American)/Rugby? Heck yes. These guys go all out on each other, often leaving players with concussions, sometime broken limbs. They put their bodies on the line for their teams and deserve every penny.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
Brown Cap said:
What are YOU'RE opinions? Should these players be paid? Why?
YOUR thread title and YOUR post are asking different questions. One is are sports pointless, and the other is should players get paid as much as they do.

Please fix that...

AND THE HORRIBLE GRAMMATICAL ERROR.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Aprilgold said:
tippy2k2 said:

1Mil, 1 fucking Mil, do you know how much of that, even going to a small cause, would do? And, once again, I'm not saying they shouldn't get payed, but think of how much money is going away and / or to their own selfish pleasures. If I had one million a year, I would donate about half of it to any good cause I can think of. And no, I did not pull out one piece of your arguement, merely started on one bit of it. Not counting that you were mainly asking questions.

I'd rather have that money head to a good cause, like, BUY A TICKET TO THIS EVENT, GIVE BACK TO X GOOD CAUSE! Hell, 750K is a lot of money for a very large amount of people, while 25K may still be a hefty sum for many, why not donate a quarter, which is 250K to any organization of your choosing instead of being selfish and just using that money on yourself.
Just to make sure we're clear, your argument for why they shouldn't get paid that much is because they don't donate enough of their money to charities? Did we move to Happy-Land? This has got to be one of the silliest arguments I have ever heard.

They earned their money, it is their choice what they do with it. The NFL alone pours millions into their own charity work, including auctions, NFL Play60, and awareness issues. That doesn't even include what individual players have done like the Drew Brees charity foundation. These are just examples I know off the top of my head but I would guess you could find millions of examples if you wanted to search it out.

Links:
Auctions: http://nflauction.nfl.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/User?id=BCA_NFL&wl=65664914&type=A
NFL Play60: http://www.nflrush.com/play60
Awareness: http://www.nfl.com/pink

But for fun, let's ignore ALL of that and assume that they just keep their money hidden away, coming out only to laugh at poor people by burning $100 bills at a homeless shelter. Why should that matter? They earned their money, they can do whatever the hell they want with it.

kypsilon

May 16, 2010
It's a school activity, so no they shouldn't be paid. On the other hand I could see how I would use extra-curricular activities that benefit the school on a national/international level to mitigate the outrageous cost of schooling as a whole...wait...

...aren't those called scholarships?

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
In a philosophical sense yes, all sports are pointless. But then again, typing this comment is useless, and this computer is now useless. If in the most basic sense I were to question if sports helped us survive, I'd say... Well, it helps us survive equally as well as education, communication, friendship etc.

So yeah, even at the most basic level, sports is important. It helps us pitch our physical skill at one another. It's just this whole modern day view on civilization has pinned the whole of human trust on the human brain being the biggest and strongest organ. Well tbh, congrats if you have a large brain, but it would be triple congrats if you had a large brain, and a godly physique.

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
Sports are not at all pointless, played safely, they can keep you fit and expand your general health and physical well-being.

Oh... you mean watching them...

Yep, completely pointless.

Should the players be paid outstanding salaries for chasing a ball around? Well, obviously I think they should not. For the record, I also don't think actors, CEOs, megachurch pastors, and several other positions should be making the money they do either.

But it's not really my call. The fans/stockholders/congregations of those people are willing to see that they get fantastic salaries. People can be paid whatever they will convince suckers to pay them. If I could get someone to give me multi-million dollar bonuses for teaching English at a small town middle school, I would certainly take it.

But the fact of the matter is that if every professional athlete were to drop dead tonight, we'd have new teams playing out whole seasons by next year. And some would be earning absurd salaries.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
tippy2k2 said:
Aprilgold said:
tippy2k2 said:

Just to make sure we're clear, your argument for why they shouldn't get paid that much is because they don't donate enough of their money to charities? Did we move to Happy-Land? This has got to be one of the silliest arguments I have ever heard.

They earned their money, it is their choice what they do with it. The NFL alone pours millions into their own charity work, including auctions, NFL Play60, and awareness issues. That doesn't even include what individual players have done like the Drew Brees charity foundation. These are just examples I know off the top of my head but I would guess you could find millions of examples if you wanted to search it out.

Links:
Auctions: http://nflauction.nfl.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/User?id=BCA_NFL&wl=65664914&type=A
NFL Play60: http://www.nflrush.com/play60
Awareness: http://www.nfl.com/pink

But for fun, let's ignore ALL of that and assume that they just keep their money hidden away, coming out only to laugh at poor people by burning $100 bills at a homeless shelter. Why should that matter? They earned their money, they can do whatever the hell they want with it.
I don't think they should get payed as much because it may be a tough job, but the amount their payed is pretty ridicolus.

I just see wasted money is my whole point. THEY COULD spend that money to a charity or to cancer study or what the fuck ever, but they might as well keep their millions and do what they please with it like asshats, but since they earned it, they can BE asshats.

I just think it would be good to see small bit of that money going elsewhere. This does not affect how much they get paid annually. Could we not argue on this further because I really don't want to sit here evaluating what I have said into a coherent manor, also, sorry for not making sense the last 2 times.

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
Sports are no more relevant than movies or video games, neither defend against terrorism, uplift a fledgling economy or support civil rights for minorities, but all of them are a part of our culture and a country without culture is a country not worthy of existence.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
They are paid. They get scholarships. They do not deserve any other payment. It's more than enough, especially considering the high likelyhood of them making serious money when they finish college. College is their own personal form of free advirtisement, they don't deserve a salary on top of what they already get.

ElectroJosh

Aug 27, 2009
PZF said:
Baseball? no, stand around on a field for most of the game, quite boring, no one ever gets hurt.

Basketball? no, they run a lot, have to shoot from far away some times.

Soccer? gosh no, just a drama club in uniforms on a field.

Football(American)/Rugby? Heck yes. These guys go all out on each other, often leaving players with concussions, sometime broken limbs. They put their bodies on the line for their teams and deserve every penny.
from wikipedia (regarding a rugby player):

"Shelford made his Test debut for the All Blacks later that year against France in a 19?7 victory in Toulouse, and then was a notable victim of the infamous "Battle of Nantes" in the second Test. Roughly 20 minutes into the match, he was caught at the bottom of a rather aggressive ruck, and an errant French boot found its way into Shelford's groin, somehow ripping his scrotum and leaving one testicle hanging free. He also lost four teeth in the process. Incredibly, after discovering the injury to his scrotum, he calmly asked the physio to stitch up the tear and returned to the field before a blow to his head left him concussed. He was substituted and watched the remainder of the game from the grandstand where he witnessed the All Blacks lose 16?3. To this day Shelford has no memory of the game.[2]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Shelford

That is pure dedication his sport - hence why he is a legend of New Zealand rugby.

Sarah Frazier

Dec 7, 2010
tippy2k2 said:
Sarah Frazier said:
Should athletes be paid at all? Yes.

Should they be paid millions of dollars? No.

At the very least they should be paid enough to cover medical expenses and have stuff left over to invest and/or retire on when their bodies wear out. A million dollars a year is a bit excessive unless they're really prone to injury.
Can you give me a good reason why? I see a lot of people say that athletes shouldn't be paid millions but why?

People are willing to pay big money to see these people play. Why do they not deserve a large chunk of that?

Not to mention, the average career for a lot of these people might be a decade. That's assuming they can stay at a high level competing with a new generation every year or a freak play doesn't snap their leg in half. Even players who play in "lower impact" roles like Terrell Owens have to deal with chronic injuries that are going to affect them for the rest of their life.
I think the biggest complaint people have is that there's a lot of money going around in the entertainment industry and it has to come from somewhere, usually in the form of higher prices. TV is a cheaper alternative, but that puts a crunch on ticket sellers to make up for it which then puts pressure on the people who can buy tickets until they can't afford them any more. It's a vicious cycle, and one way to reduce the strain on the whole system is to reduce the high demand at the end from everywhere.

I'd still support hefty paychecks for athletes because of the fact that anything can go wrong at any time to end their career once and for all. Some security would be good, but a million dollars a year at least is well more than enough to cover medical/dental as well as housing and other luxuries.