erttheking said:
Zeel said:
erttheking said:
Zeel said:
erttheking said:
Zeel said:
erttheking said:
Thoric485 said:
I can't fathom why people rush to the defence of a studio-destroyer like EA.
Because, news flash, not everyone thinks that they are the devil incarnate.
then they are misinformed. Look at all these companies they bought:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_acquisitions_by_Electronic_Arts

Thats about 38 studios bought in 20 years. How much are still running? Eight.

Go check for yourself, click a studio, investigate them. notice what happens "STUDIO THAT MAKES GREAT GAMES GETS BOUGHT BY EA. EA RUSH THE GAMES, it doesnt sell well, EA closes down studio. Only absoring a "few key players"

it's a disgusting tactic. By out the opposition, pilfer their talented workers and repeat. Honestly, I dont know how long Bioware will last.
I CAN HOLD DOWN THE SHIFT KEY WHILE I TYPE TOO! ME2 came out while Bioware was under EA, and I loved that game, I've got no beef with EA...then again I've got no beef with Activision, so it shows what kind of a brainless tool I am, seriously whats wrong with me? I honestly think that it isn't a big deal that COD is the best selling shooter on the market.
I cant believe you. I just told you this corporation is systematically buying great game companies and shutting them down, and your response is: Whoopedeedo they made Me2! Sorry, you're going have to do better than that.

When you were ignorant it was okay to say "well I don't hate EA" but now that you know what they are doing, how can you stand there as a gamer and just shrug your shoulders?

Despicable. I hope when they shut down Bioware, I dont hear a fucking peep from you.
ZEEL BUDDY YOU'RE BACK! I MISSED YOU! I think they're looking for you over at the "Bioware defends" trailer. Also I'm not a gamer, I don't really like being given a title that implies that gaming is all I'm about, a label I much rather prefer is writer. I like playing games, that's about it, EA makes games that I like, including ME2 which I find to be superior to ME1 in just about every way, so yeah, I have no issues with the way things are doing

Oh yeah, you don't have severe anger issues at all. Seriously you have all the zeal or rather Zeel (lol) of a fanboy, but you direct it into hating things instead of loving them...which really doesn't make you any better...at all.
Stop with the equivalency garbage, theres no way my hate would go so far it'd override logic, like your love for Bioware is clearly doing. Why are you dancing around the issue. Is it wrong what they are doing or not? I didn't ask you how much you LOVE me2. I asked you about your opinion on what they are doing.

I honestly don't know why you went off on some mini-me2/writer tirade, all of that is irrelevant.
And I answered you, so long as Bioware continues to make quality products, I have no issue with how they make them, and so far I consider ME2 to be good and ME3 looks like it will be even better.
See! this right here. This is what makes you a fanboy. "Huk huk, I don't care about all the gaming companies destroyed by EA games, aslong as they continue to make my Mass Effect series great!"

If you're so big on writing, why doesn't the fact that EA games is crushing artistic vision bother you? Oh right Mass Effect 2.

I really hope your Me3 is worth all those destroyed companies.
I just love how I'm being calm and you're freaking out, apparently shifting into a mocking tone randomly makes your point stronger. Destroying artistic vision...uh I've been seeing quite a lot of artistic vision in ME3 so far so...yeah, I'm cool with it.

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
It's all down to the market. If people are retarded enough to pay £11 for a map pack then they're giving the company a big thumbs up.

Just don't buy games you think are over priced or their DLC. Simple. Stop complaining.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
It's a case by case basis for me. Neither extremes are good.

I don't like the idea of "put up or shut up". It gives an air of complacency for me, although of course it's not that simple. Complacency may be an extreme word for it. But the gaming industry does have its problems, personally I see them with the retail and the publishers.

Self entitled people on the other hand are also annoying. Just because you paid for a game, you are not entitled to make your xbox puke rainbows out of its CD drive. People who make a big deal out of certain flaws as if they got burned should not have bought the game. Not in this day and age anyways.

In regards to DLC, I feel I should be entitled to everything that is on disc before launch, HOWEVER...

I am personally fine with things like skin packs (just for example, the art team doesn't really have anything to do after the game is certified really, so it makes sense to put something like that in, as it brings more money, it gives something for the artists to do, and it's not really an impact to the story). Some people draw the line at different areas, but for me it would be things like game-modes, levels/missions, things that buff you/make the game easier and characters. I think if it's on the disk, it should come with the game.

Despite that though, people are always going to consider gamers to be spoilt because for reasons unknown to me, people who say they will boycott the game buy it anyways.

I personally go for what I think is worth it. If there's something I don't like about the game, I will wait until it goes on sale... if I don't forget about buying it that is. I don't think it's worth more than a minor comment really, and if the internet is already in an uproar... well I don't think I feel the need to make my voice heard via email or over forums really. I rely on my wallet to do that. However if everyone just silently stopped buying games, what the hell are the devs/publishers going to do? They will probably beg you for answers, after their game bombed. I think the pre-emptive complaining has some advantages for the developers.

ThriKreen

May 26, 2006
Zeel said:
So he was ripped out but for good reasons. I suppose you both are right. Even so if he was ripped out simply to fix an issue that took no more than two weeks, why did they package it as a "DLC". A simple update would've fixed that.
Because a) it took a lot longer than two weeks and b) nothing in terms of ripping content out, figuring a way to redesign it so it actually works, then figuring out a way to patching it in is ever simple.

In fact, where did you even get that time block of two weeks in the first place? It was not mentioned in the article at all.

Lawlhat

Mar 17, 2009
With serious issues like DRM and EULAs? Yeah, we do deserve better. But people with an overblown sense of entitlement are also part of what makes gamers and 'internet people' look bad to anybody else.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Zeel said:
erttheking said:
Zeel said:
erttheking said:
Zeel said:
erttheking said:
Zeel said:
erttheking said:
Zeel said:
erttheking said:
Thoric485 said:

Go check for yourself, click a studio, investigate them. notice what happens "STUDIO THAT MAKES GREAT GAMES GETS BOUGHT BY EA. EA RUSH THE GAMES, it doesnt sell well, EA closes down studio. Only absoring a "few key players"

it's a disgusting tactic. By out the opposition, pilfer their talented workers and repeat. Honestly, I dont know how long Bioware will last.
I CAN HOLD DOWN THE SHIFT KEY WHILE I TYPE TOO! ME2 came out while Bioware was under EA, and I loved that game, I've got no beef with EA...then again I've got no beef with Activision, so it shows what kind of a brainless tool I am, seriously whats wrong with me? I honestly think that it isn't a big deal that COD is the best selling shooter on the market.
I cant believe you. I just told you this corporation is systematically buying great game companies and shutting them down, and your response is: Whoopedeedo they made Me2! Sorry, you're going have to do better than that.

When you were ignorant it was okay to say "well I don't hate EA" but now that you know what they are doing, how can you stand there as a gamer and just shrug your shoulders?

Despicable. I hope when they shut down Bioware, I dont hear a fucking peep from you.
ZEEL BUDDY YOU'RE BACK! I MISSED YOU! I think they're looking for you over at the "Bioware defends" trailer. Also I'm not a gamer, I don't really like being given a title that implies that gaming is all I'm about, a label I much rather prefer is writer. I like playing games, that's about it, EA makes games that I like, including ME2 which I find to be superior to ME1 in just about every way, so yeah, I have no issues with the way things are doing

Oh yeah, you don't have severe anger issues at all. Seriously you have all the zeal or rather Zeel (lol) of a fanboy, but you direct it into hating things instead of loving them...which really doesn't make you any better...at all.
Stop with the equivalency garbage, theres no way my hate would go so far it'd override logic, like your love for Bioware is clearly doing. Why are you dancing around the issue. Is it wrong what they are doing or not? I didn't ask you how much you LOVE me2. I asked you about your opinion on what they are doing.

I honestly don't know why you went off on some mini-me2/writer tirade, all of that is irrelevant.
And I answered you, so long as Bioware continues to make quality products, I have no issue with how they make them, and so far I consider ME2 to be good and ME3 looks like it will be even better.
See! this right here. This is what makes you a fanboy. "Huk huk, I don't care about all the gaming companies destroyed by EA games, aslong as they continue to make my Mass Effect series great!"

If you're so big on writing, why doesn't the fact that EA games is crushing artistic vision bother you? Oh right Mass Effect 2.

I just love how I'm being calm and you're freaking out, apparently shifting into a mocking tone randomly makes your point stronger. Destroying artistic vision...uh I've been seeing quite a lot of artistic vision in ME3 so far so...yeah, I'm cool with it.
You are just a fanboy. Me3 isnt even released and you're calling it "artistic". Come back to me when you read that silly shit about EDI or half the other wonky crap in there. Though if you're a fan of Halo, it will feel like Shakespeare wrote it in comparison.
I said so far, I assumed you knew I was talking about the demo because, well, what else would I talk about. Insulting my tastes, nice, that clearly shows how tolerant and unbiased you are and clearly you are not a rabid fan hater

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Zeel said:
erttheking said:
Zeel said:
erttheking said:
Zeel said:
erttheking said:
Zeel said:
erttheking said:
Zeel said:
erttheking said:
Zeel said:
erttheking said:
Thoric485 said:

You are just a fanboy. Me3 isnt even released and you're calling it "artistic". Come back to me when you read that silly shit about EDI or half the other wonky crap in there. Though if you're a fan of Halo, it will feel like Shakespeare wrote it in comparison.
I said so far, I assumed tell you I was talking about the demo because, well, what else would I talk about. Insulting my tastes, nice, that clearly shows how tolerant and unbiased you are and clearly not a rabid fan hater
well I'm sorry, the Halo franchise is one of the most overmilked franchise of this decade but Mass effect is rearing its ugly head, so who knows?

Either way, based on the 'demo' there was nothing artistic in the demo at all. The dialogue was kind of cheesy.the whole dying kid thing was also cheesy. I thought the female krogran was designed well, but that's about it. Plus they better have a good reason for turning Cerberus into enemies again. A DAMN good reason.
Oh yeah...seven games in ten years, one made by a different company and one that was a remastering of the first game for only 40$...yeah Mario's got nothing on that. I guess this is the part where I pointlessly try to remind you that people have different opinions and how I thought that the dialogue was excellent and how the kid nearly made me cry and how Cerberus is a bunch of amoral phycopsthic terrorists who only had an enemy mine array ment with shep for the collector incident and would clearly continue to operate against the alliance and council in the future, but by know it'll just go in one ear and out the other

ThriKreen

May 26, 2006
Zeel said:
If it was finished by the release date, why was it packaged as a DLC and not just some update? From what I read in the article, it sounds like they just shrank him. I'm not designer, but are you telling me that WASNT simple? I've played around with Maya before, shrinking IS easy.
Please re-read the articles (plural), instead of skimming over them. I'll give you a hint, the key terms to pay attention to in the articles are "March", "Late 2009" and "November".

And just because you used a scale tool in one program also translates to adjustment of AI, path finding, updating animations to account for the new size (since she's larger than regular characters, but smaller than the regular golems, animations have to be tweaked for syncing to other sizes), the original time spend ripping the character and resources out, then having to deal with integrating it back in along with updating the gameplay scripts to handle existence or non-existence of the character resources. Add in a couple weeks of testing to verify it doesn't trip over the other content, integrated or not.

But please tell me how I'm wrong and it's just a simple model scale with your many, many years of game developing experience over my own.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Toilet said:
Gaming is a very expensive hobby/lifestyle(?) and as a community we are very vocal with our opinions and after reading "The Dangers of Gamer Entitlement" [http://uk.gamespot.com/features/the-dangers-of-gamer-entitlement-6350732/] I have come to think are we entitled to more from developers and publishers or do we just scream and shout like a spoiled child.

Over all I think we deserve a lot more, according to EULAs and License Agreements we pay a few hundred £/$ to own a license to a console, then we pay £39.99/$59.99 to own the license to a game (which in some digital distribution service can be taken away), at which point DLC is advertised and while we can not pay for it sometimes it is necessary to get the complete experience (see the Mass Effect 3 Prothean character/mission dlc) that may be included on the disc or made during development for pure monetary gain.

After all that we have to appease the local DRM and then if you want to connect your console to the online service you have to pay your ISP (and purchase a Gold Account for Xbox Owners), sign up for the service and then when you are finally online you have to go through system and game updates.

And when we finally get to play the game and it isn't good so a large majority complain (and others resort to pretty insults) we get called "Entitled". As far as I am concerned I see why people pirate games we deserve better, companies do not deserve or earn our money it is a trade of goods and sometimes the goods aren't worth the price.

To put it bluntly I think the consumers are entitled to control of their own product. The problem with EULAs is they have never been challenged properly, and most of the lawyers that could successfully fight it are under retainer from the game companies... at least to the point of not being able to take cases against them due to a conflict of interests even if they aren't actively used.

I also believe that core gamers are entitled to better treatment from the gaming companies. Right now we're seeing a classic example of a group of artists and developers selling out. When the potential amounts of money get big enough, the people who made creators popular are usually forgotten in pursuit of the allmighty dollar, irregardless of whether those creators would have been anything without the support of their fans and financing.

The game industry is in the same place right now as a lot of the singers and songwriters from the 1960s and 70s, guys who started out caring about causes and the art, but eventually betrayed all of that for money and became exactly what they were originally rallying people against. The rock star telling their fans that he "doesn't owe them anything" for getting them that far has become a hated stereotype for a reason, and today that's the gaming industry in a nutshell.

While a lot of money can be made from harcore RPGs, and deep gaming experiences, more money can be made from derivitive casual garbage. Especially if they can convince people that isn't what it is. Today the "shooter", first or third person, is roughly the equivilent of Farmville, but aimed at a differant audience, and comes along with the illusion that it's serious gaming. Sort of like how you might have a group of serious rockers with a message turn to soulless, but high selling, bubblegum crap that convinces the people listening that it's still serious rock.

The thing about selling out though is that the new audience of course takes itself seriously, and doesn't see itself as being in some way flawed. They want to see themselves as what the previous audience was like. You'll rarely see a shooter player who puts hours and hours into something klike "Modern Warfare" and similar games admit he's not a serious gamer, and only plays casual games. People like that are why you see an effort to turn everything into a shooter, brawler, or other kind of shallow action game with "serious" seeming graphics implying it's a serious game when at it's core the game itself is well... bubblegum.

Today the industry takes the "we don't owe you anything" attitude towards the people that made them, because like rockers who have sold out, they are making tons of money, and don't care because from their position at the top of the world with seemingly no end in sight, they don't care and feel they don't really need those people anymore, and there is nothing they can do about it anyway. With guys in the game industry like Bobby Kotick zipping around in their private jets, it's easy to see why things have turned out like they have.

See, saying that the game industry DOES owe the people that enabled it to get to this point is meaningless, because it's not like I can actually force them to do anything. All the old guard can really do is score a symbolic point here and there and make the guys we're targeting feel like crap in short doses, but their huge piles of cash quickly assage any such feelings, and they just increasingly shut us out so they don't have to look into a mirror any more than absolutly nessicary.

In theory, there is a big enough industry for all kinds of games to be developed. On paper there is no reason why you can't have casual game development on one hand, and people still developing elaborate, extremely deep and non-casual RPGs and similar kinds of games on the other, in amounts sufficient to keep that audience happy. In reality however the gaming industry has gotten to the point where nobody wants to moderate returns, in exchange for a solid game that appeals to the serious gamers, when for a similar amount of money they could squirt out another casual game, hype it as being something hardcore, and make much larger piles of money. Everyone pretty much leaves the serious game design to someone else, agreeing on principle, but deciding they are going to take the huge piles of cash. The few hold out developers aren't producing on a level sufficient for the demand, and are becoming fewer and furhter between. Many indie companies start out with the intention of making serious games, but wind up becoming victims of their own success and selling out... big companies gobbling indie and small developers and turning them into more soulless fodder is big source of discussion in the industry. Not to mention the growing realization that a lot of "indie" games are not really "indie" but are made to seem that way, being developed by big companies if you follow a long, and frequently convoluted path... leading to the rather cynical question/discussing topic as to whether "indie" has ultimatly just become another genere. Tons of games that look like something that were put together by a few guys as a labour of love were carefully constructed to appear that way, when it really isn't the case, it's a marketing technique similar to mass producing stuff for tourist traps that looks like it's handcrafted but isn't (ie your shell and driftwood display bought on the beach of a small island you vacation on, that actually sports a made in china sticker on the bottom).

I know many will disagree with me, but these are my thoughts, and what I think. I just hope I've articulated it well.

These thought processes on the subject are one of the reasons why I am so brutally critical of the gaming industry on so many levels throughout my posts.

Dec 14, 2009
ThriKreen said:
Zeel said:
If it was finished by the release date, why was it packaged as a DLC and not just some update? From what I read in the article, it sounds like they just shrank him. I'm not designer, but are you telling me that WASNT simple? I've played around with Maya before, shrinking IS easy.
The key terms to pay attention to in the article and linked articles are "March", "Late 2009" and "November".

And just because you used a scale tool in one program also translates to adjustment of AI, path finding, updating animations to account for the new size (since she's larger than regular characters, but smaller than the regular golems, animations have to be tweaked for syncing to other sizes), the original time spend ripping the character and resources out, then having to deal with integrating it back in along with updating the gameplay scripts to handle existence or non-existence of the character resources. Add in a couple weeks of testing to verify it doesn't trip over the other content, integrated or not.

But please tell me how I'm wrong and it's just a simple model scale with your many, many years of game developing experience over my own.
Didn't you hear? Zeel's been in game development for eleventy billion years.

He's the father of past, modern, and future game development.

A lowly mortal such as yourself should not dear question him.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Zeel said:
erttheking said:
Zeel said:
erttheking said:
Zeel said:
erttheking said:
Zeel said:
erttheking said:
Zeel said:
erttheking said:
Zeel said:
erttheking said:
Zeel said:
erttheking said:
Thoric485 said:

I said so far, I assumed tell you I was talking about the demo because, well, what else would I talk about. Insulting my tastes, nice, that clearly shows how tolerant and unbiased you are and clearly not a rabid fan hater
well I'm sorry, the Halo franchise is one of the most overmilked franchise of this decade but Mass effect is rearing its ugly head, so who knows?

Either way, based on the 'demo' there was nothing artistic in the demo at all. The dialogue was kind of cheesy.the whole dying kid thing was also cheesy. I thought the female krogran was designed well, but that's about it. Plus they better have a good reason for turning Cerberus into enemies again. A DAMN good reason.
Oh yeah...seven games in ten years, one made by a different company and one that was a remastering of the first game for only 40$...yeah Mario's got nothing on that. I guess this is the part where I pointlessly try to remind you that people have different opinions and how I thought that the dialogue was excellent and how the kid nearly made me cry and how Cerberus is a bunch of amoral phycopsthic terrorists who only had an enemy mine array ment with shep for the collector incident and would clearly continue to operate against the alliance and council in the future, but by know it'll just go in one ear and out the other
nearly made you cry? You can't be serious? The kid was running around hopping through vents and shit in the middle of a god damn REAPER INVASION. He deserved to die. I do not believe you when you say "almost cried" that is just beyond ridiculous. You ever watched Lion King, when Simba's father died? THATS ALMOST cry worth. This random kid we talk to once isn't. Cheap emotional strings tactic, they could've stepped on a puppy and I would've felt more connection to it.

Edit: 7 games in 10 years is pretty damn ridiculous dude.
And yet I thought it was good, funny things these "opinions". Also hiding from cyborg zombies during an invasion and then running for an evacuation shuttle = should be killed..........K.

BTW drop Halo, Bungie only made 5 of the games, ODST being the only one without it's own engine, and you just brought up to insult me anyway, like attacking my tastes would strengthen your point.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Zeel said:
erttheking said:
Zeel said:
erttheking said:
Zeel said:
erttheking said:
Zeel said:
erttheking said:
Zeel said:
erttheking said:
Zeel said:
erttheking said:
Zeel said:
erttheking said:
Zeel said:
erttheking said:
Thoric485 said:

nearly made you cry? You can't be serious? The kid was running around hopping through vents and shit in the middle of a god damn REAPER INVASION. He deserved to die. I do not believe you when you say "almost cried" that is just beyond ridiculous. You ever watched Lion King, when Simba's father died? THATS ALMOST cry worth. This random kid we talk to once isn't. Cheap emotional strings tactic, they could've stepped on a puppy and I would've felt more connection to it.

Edit: 7 games in 10 years is pretty damn ridiculous dude.
And yet I thought it was good, funny things these "opinions". Also hiding from cyborg zombies during an invasion and then running for an evacuation shuttle = should be killed..........K.

BTW drop Halo, Bungie only made 5 of the games, ODST being the only one without it's own engine, and you just brought up to insult me anyway, like attacking my tastes would strengthen your point.
Why was he running through VENTS? He was near Alliance HQ. Head to the motherfucking HQ!!! Common sense.

Had nothing to do with your tastes. Whenever I see Halo, I feel obligated to attack it. That's just how much Halo sucks. They milked that game hard dude, you know they did. games usually take 2-3 years, and thats speedy. Halo gets 7 games in 10. DAMN!!
You mean the one that you were running away from on account of it being blown up. I fail to see how common sense works there, espically since husks were in between him and it. Oh, so you just have no self control...that makes sense actually. Well bedtime for me