Poll: are we living in a dystopia?

DrScoobs

Mar 6, 2009
i was having a discussion with my friend about whether the world today is a dystopia.i am honestly not sure. i think that it has certain characteristics of a dystopia but isnt at the level of bleakness that i would call dystopian.

what do you think on this matter?

Gooble

May 9, 2008
Kind of...we live in a world where no one can actually bothered to make any changes despite their desire to do so.

LordCraigus

May 21, 2008
I think you're taking the pisstopia.

But seriously I'd generally agree with you, it's certainly not a utopia, but I don't think it's a dystopia either, we still have room to go much lower.

Then again if we were in a dystopia, would we really know?

DrScoobs

Mar 6, 2009
LordCraigus said:
Then again if we were in a dystopia, would we really know?
which is why i have created a poll on it. it is a matter of personal opinion. i know some people who would say that we are living in a dystopia.

Nargleblarg

Jun 24, 2008
Not really we are at the peak of modern technology health care and law enforcement so no. (but it depends where you are though)

Flupke

Jun 13, 2009
Not here in Canada, but I'm sure many people in other parts of the world feel that they are.

"Dystopia is the vision of a society in which conditions of life are miserable and characterized by poverty, oppression, war, violence, disease, pollution, and/or the abridgment of human rights, resulting in widespread unhappiness, suffering, and other kinds of pain."

- Wikipedia

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I've always been under the impression that for something to be a Dystopia it had to be built with the intention of it being a Utopia. Not sure why.

Either way I say no, because the world is ran the way it is on purpose.

A funny realisation came from watching the film "American Gangster" recently. If the police managed to stop/reduce drugs/vice being imported and sold illegally then thousands upon thousands of police would be out of jobs, therefore we need drugs/vice to keep the economy rolling.

ThePoodonkis

Apr 22, 2008
It depends on your location, I suppose. Places in the US, Canada, Britain, Australia, et cetra, not in the slightest.
But places like Somalia, Sudan, et cetra, yes. Very much.

gmer412

Feb 21, 2008
Freakout456 said:
Not really we are at the peak of modern technology health care and law enforcement so no. (but it depends where you are though)
"In a dystopian world, in the early 21st century, millions starve and live in poverty under governments that are no help to them or are to corrupt to help, while, elsewhere, others sit and grow fat on the profits made from companies that trod on the poor (wow this is a long sentence). Those same poor grow poorer by the day, and few care enough to help." Nah, doesn't really work.

Ignignoct

Feb 14, 2009
metroidgearsolid said:
i was having a discussion with my friend about whether the world today is a dystopia.i am honestly not sure. i think that it has certain characteristics of a dystopia but isnt at the level of bleakness that i would call dystopian.

what do you think on this matter?
If you could say that having a sore throat is like bubonic plague, then yes, we're sort of in a dystopia.

Which means no.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Since I haven't been beaten to death by Civil Protection or dragged off by the Thought Police, I'm going to have to assume that we're not living in a dystopia.

Pyre00

Mar 17, 2009
Dystopia is a relative term.

We will always just be in a midtopia, because we will always want more. If someone was taken from a midtopia and put into something they consider to be a dystopia, then they are in a dystopia. To the people who have always been there, they are in a midtopia.

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
Depends on where you are. Certain parts of the world are definitely dystopian, but in western society we've got it pretty damn good.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Hell no. Unless your definition of a dystopian society is any society that isn't perfect.

Machines Are Us said:
A funny realisation came from watching the film "American Gangster" recently. If the police managed to stop/reduce drugs/vice being imported and sold illegally then thousands upon thousands of police would be out of jobs, therefore we need drugs/vice to keep the economy rolling.
This is true, and something I've also thought about. A lot of the things that we recognize as bad actually can play an important part in society. Another example I thought of was when I was thinking about times when a gang or Mafia group pr such really had control of a city, even more than the police or government. They could actually be more effective at establishing peace and order than a police force. So if a government decided to work with a Mafia group and control them for the city's benefit, instead of working to eradicate them, people would be a lot better off.

Sort of a "working for the greater good" thing.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
Africa and latin America sure qualify, and maybe Russia or China. Sure, the world is messed up but few estates can actually meet the needed requirements of corporate oppression, rampant misuse of technology, thriving countercultures, etc.