Poll: Are you addicted to the internet?

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Researchers in China have apparently found out that people who are addicted to the internet have a similar disruption in their brains that can be seen by alcoholics and other addicts, and they used this test to rate whether or not a person is addicted to the internet:

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16505521

Diagnostic criteria for internet addiction

1) Do you feel preoccupied with the internet?

2) Do you feel the need to use the internet with increasing amounts of time in order to achieve satisfaction?

3) Have you repeatedly made unsuccessful efforts to control, cut back or stop internet use?
4) Do you feel restless, moody, depressed, or irritable when attempting to cut down or stop internet use?

5) Do you stay online longer than intended?

6) Have you jeopardized or risked the loss of a significant relationship, job, educational or career opportunity because of the internet?

7) Have you lied to family members, a therapist or others to conceal the extent of involvement with the internet?

8) Do you use the internet as a way of escaping from problems or of relieving a distressed mood (eg feelings of helplessness, guilt, anxiety and depression)?

Participants answering yes to questions 1 to 5 and at least one more answer were classed as suffering from Internet Addiction Disorder
Holy crap! I can see myself in virtually every one of these, although my high internet usage probably has a lot to do with my unemployment, because I've got too much [footnote]*clap* *clap* [/footnote] time on my hands. Curse you economy!

So how do you add up, are you addicted to the internet? how badly? and do you see it as a problem?

Feb 13, 2008
Hero in a half shell said:
Researchers in China have apparently found out that people who are addicted to the internet have a similar disruption in their brains that can be seen by alcoholics and other addicts, and they used this test to rate whether or not a person is addicted to the internet:
Chinese Research torn apart by Scientist: http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/reality-check-with-polly-curtis/2012/jan/12/internet-health

Addiction to a pastime is impossible without biochemical change. Compulsive behavioural disorder is already part of the DSM-IV and the ICD - this research shows effect but not cause. Correlation, not causation.

Soraryuu

Aug 16, 2009
1) Nah.
2) I don't see myself spending even more time on it, if you know what I mean.
3) Never had a reason to.
4) The only times I've been deprived of my internet/computer access, I've also been deprived of other things I find entertaining(a good book, something to study, a musical instrument, perhaps a movie). But yeah, I longed to be back home when that happened.
5) ...well, it IS 1:40 AM...
6) Not at all. I'm taking extra school subjects on the side, in fact.
7) Well, I avoid telling people I spend most of my time on the computer... society's expectations of "having a life" and all that. I do have a life, but that doesn't mean I have to be outside all the time.
8) It's the opposite way, really. I escape from the internet once I've had enough of it.

Pretty sure I'm not addicted. But do I spend more time on it than I really should? Oh yes.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
I could quit anytime, I just don't want to and would rather do anything than sleep. To me sleep is lost time.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Ah, I stay on longer than intended. Usually that's because i'm in the middle of something though, which is, you know, normal. Do shit until its actually done.

Edit:

usmarine4160 said:
I'm not addicted, I can quit the internet any time I want
please be a reference... please be a reference...

RastaBadger

Jun 5, 2010
I answered yes to 2 of those questions. That means I'm not addicted. That means I can use it as much as I want. :D

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Not really.
I only really go on the internet when I have nothing to do (Social outings, work, whatever), and I would just replace it with TV, videogames, or reading if I didn't have it.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
5 is silly. Everyone does that. It's called Wikipedia syndrome. 30 seconds on Wikipedia turns into 3 hours...

RastaBadger said:
I answered yes to 2 of those questions. That means I'm not addicted. That means I can use it as much as I want. :D
You only need to say yes to 2 of them if one is in the 1-5 range. According to the rules anyways. Such a thing is stupid though.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
A little bit yeah, but I'm sure if I find something better to do with my time I can leave it easily enough. The trouble is finding something social that actually interests me...(as you might of extrapolated I'm a bit of an introvert)...

- Omni ^_^

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
I probably am, but then I have nothing else to do all day. Plus I've made a lot of friends on here so it'd be very hard to just quit.

I'll probably cut down a lot when I eventually get a job, but for now, I don't think it's harmful.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Pfft, I don't need a test to tell me if I am addicted to the internet. I already know I am: And the first step to any recovery is admitting there's a problem. However, I'm not a completely addicted to it. I don't lie about my internet usage; I don't ruin family/friend/romantic relations or lost jobs because of my internet usage; I don't use it to escape real world problems either. The internet is just fun!

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
Well, no, but I hardly think that it's the same thing as alcohol addiction or anything of the sort. I use my time on the internet, which I will admit is lengthy, to watch debates and documentaries and to read articles. The stuff I do on, for example, The Escapist, are low-priority. So even if I spent even longer on the internet, I wouldn't see it as a waste.

EDIT

Though, come to think of it, my sister grows infuriated when she goes without the internet for too long, and all she does is read shitty fanfiction and talk to people she hasn't seen in years on Skype, so there's that.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
What bugs me is there's going to be parents and older people who spaz out at the terror of younger people becoming addicts, then sink back into the couch again for their regular 5 hours of TV a night.

While I'm not pretending everyone is being productive online, at least some of the time is spent being social with friends, learning things, or creating things, you can't say that about alcohol or crack.

Sure there's some extreme cases where people get so involved that they let work, relationships, basic hygiene and need for food slip away.

In most cases, however 'addiction' is just people doing a lot of something the like doing.

'Teenagers Enjoy using the Internet, study shows'

Now compare that with the headline:

'TEEN NET ADDICTION PERIL'

You can see which one gets more noticed. Also, the print and TV media will love this as younger generations generally don't give a damn about papers and TV news, when they can get news from 2 minutes ago at a click, from reliable sources.

In short, is it a surprise that people, when they find they enjoy something, want to do more of it, and some of those people have less self control than others and do more of it than is sensible?

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Hero in a half shell said:
So how do you add up, are you addicted to the internet? how badly? and do you see it as a problem?
It's difficult to say.
I spent most of time on the Internet. Partially because most of my work requires it, partially because i'm addicted to data flow.

However there are times when i simply pack my wife into backpack, we travel to other countries and don't come near the Internet for whole weeks.

Is it the problem ?
Sometimes yes.

Section Crow

Infamous Scribbler for Life
Aug 26, 2009
it's all no's across the board

only reason i go onto the internet is to search for comedy or for educational reasons, plus the odd search for music and art