Poll: Are you employed?

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
I'm employed as an Editor in the 18-30k range. It's fantastic to have such a good job straight out of uni, but it is part-time and a 12 month fixed-term contract only to cover maternity leave (unless she decides not to return).

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Currently I'm unemployed, but I'm searching for something part time I can do over the summer. It's not too big of a deal as I'm just a teenager prepping to head out to university, and with federal grants and university scholarships I don't need a whole lot more to cover room and board. Tuition and transit and such Is all paid for or covered by a manageable loan (6.5 k a year for an undergad is not bad at all).

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
Employed (10-18k)

Vet techs are known for being among the most underpaid of all college graduates. Unless you're in a big vet clinic or work in research or with the government, you'll be barely making over minumum wage throughout most of your career (research starts you off at about twice minimum here, but jobs are hard to come by and comes with it's own politics). Part of the reason is that as long as the vet can pull his own weight and then some, it's one of those jobs you can grab a high schooler that loves animals and tell them to do the minimum requirements of what a college graduate would do/know (I had a co-worker like this and she didn't even know what the pulse oximiter was or what the SPO2 meant, only knowing that if it reached red then she needed to tell the boss). Many of my skills are somewhat comparable to something a human nurse would do (lab work, restraint and patient care, surgical prep and monitoring, pharmaceutical knowledge, performing various treatments, records management and inventory, and many of us also double as janitors and receptionists on top of that) yet people working at McDonald's most likely earn more than me. Woo, go me and my expendable sisters and brothers!

EDIT: While I should mention that number counts standard deductions (tax, EI, and government pension), I also don't have any sort of dental/medical plan and I have to pay about $300 for my registration fees every year also from my pocket. Again, larger clinics, research, and government positions tend to have some kind of employee plan, but you're out of luck if you go somewhere small.

Lyiat

Dec 10, 2008
I work for Curse, specifically making videos for Gamepedia.com. I believe, however, my contract prevents me from talking about my earnings. For what I'm doing, though, it's pretty good.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Employed.

I currently make 44k (Australian Dollars) per year.

I work as a Sales Manager at an aluminium fabrication and supply factory. We basically supply the construction industry with aluminium extrusions.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
I work part time as the weekend cook in a retirement facility. This week I'm taking a few days for the regular cook while she's on vacation. It's a pretty decent job except for when you fuck things up really badly and a lot of the residents complain about the food.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
I am a full-time state employee, more specifically, a child social worker with the Department of Child and Family Services. Basically, I am in charge of managing the removal and return of children to their family homes based on state and federal guidelines. It's a pressing job, and most of my clients start out hating my guts, but the process is helped once they realize that I am generally trying to make all reasonable efforts to return their children to them, as long as they can follow the guidelines set down by their judge. Working for the state is fairly nice, I get good medical, and after 25-30 years, I can retire and have the state pay me roughly 70-80% of my final pay grade for the rest of my life.

I also work part time for a security company, so I spend some weekends working security at events, concerts, and conventions in my city.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Unfortunately not. I have some mental issues (namely social phobia) preventing me from really getting any kind of work, and I lack any real experience for any kind of trade (I was a dumb ass in school, which I now regret). Working on getting better though, I have improved since 2012, so hopefully I won't be unemployed for too much longer.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
JoJo said:
In my experience, it's best to assume it's USD. Besides, the bracket I chose for my earnings would be the same in both GBP (my home) and USD. So I was all good anyway, :D.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Griffolion said:
JoJo said:
In my experience, it's best to assume it's USD. Besides, the bracket I chose for my earnings would be the same in both GBP (my home) and USD. So I was all good anyway, :D.
That was the most likely possibility when I asked the question, and the OP has since confirmed that, but I wouldn't make that assumption without checking first, especially since the OP has no country listed on their profile. My own salary does change brackets depending on what currency is used, so I couldn't answer the poll until the OP answered it.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Delivery Driver

I make between 800-1000 USD a month(9K-12K /yr)depending on tips and number of deliveries. Though I'm quitting in one one week because I'm moving so i'm soon to be unemployed.

WittyName

Jan 3, 2009
Final year of university at the minute, and then hopefully into an interesting job, followed by more qualifications with any luck.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Zetatrain said:
Delivery Driver

I make between 800-1000 USD a year depending on tips and number of deliveries. Though I'm quitting in one one week because I'm moving so i'm soon to be unemployed.
dont you mean a month?

If not, how can someone get away with paying an employee 800-1000 a year? (Especially USD which is weaker than the pound)

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
shootthebandit said:
Zetatrain said:
Delivery Driver

I make between 800-1000 USD a year depending on tips and number of deliveries. Though I'm quitting in one one week because I'm moving so i'm soon to be unemployed.
dont you mean a month?

If not, how can someone get away with paying an employee 800-1000 a year? (Especially USD which is weaker than the pound)
Whoops my bad, thanks for pointing out my error.

Scarecrow1001

Jun 27, 2011
I'm in Year 12 this year, and despite looking for work, have not found anything. But that's alright, I am going to take a Gap Year next year and hopefully earn some money.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Uh...yes and no. Or rather, on and off. I've traveled a considerable distance and held up a few jobs in my time here, mostly fairly mundane labor. Most of my jobs have been enjoyable and satisfying, but rarely very challenging. I've never been paid a princely sum for my work, much of which is seasonal, but the company's about as good as it comes and I find myself with a fair amount of free time to pursue my other interests.

Johnny Wishbone

Aug 17, 2011
Well, either I'm going to give a lot of you hope, or seriously depress most of you.

I've been gainfully employed for 20 years (I'm almost 40). I have a BS in Computer Science from a major university in the midwest USA. I started my first "professional" job working for the university while I got my degree. My first post college job was in NYC for less than $40k / year. Today I make a hell of a lot more and enjoy what I do while thoroughly despising my employer and most of my co-workers. I'm rapidly approaching the age and point in my career where most people go through their "mid-life crisis" and switch jobs to something completely different. I never understood why people would choose to do such a thing until I got to this point myself. I'm probably going to walk away from this 9-5, cubicle dwelling, office drone bullshit and do something with my hands. Just a few more years and I'll have enough socked away to give it a go, as long as the economy doesn't collapse again.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
I work as a medical microbiologist and earn enough to live quite comfortably. I voted on my income, but would rather not specify in this post, so it's not so obviously associated.

My job has to do with both diagnoses for patients' samples and research, although it's hard to quantify: It kind of depends on which diagnostic laboratory I'm responsible for in a given week (they differ a lot in terms of time consumption, leaving more or less time for the research aspect of my job).

Your poll is a bit problematic. "Unemployed" for people who may not have a job, for people who are pupils in school, who are students at a university, who are retired... I don't think all of those belong in one category, really.

Qwurty2.0

Apr 21, 2011
I'm a college student who has a full time job back in my home state where I earn $12.00 an hour (roughly $24,960.00 a year), though since I can only work during summer and breaks, my actual income is much less than that.

I made a decent amount of cash in high school though, as I was probably one of the only kids at my school who chose to work 40-45 hrs a week. I have since squandered much of that cash due to relatively poor management, lol (MUCH better than most people. It's the little things you buy that add up over time, not big impulsive materials).

My manager has told me that I am one of the best workers there, better than most of the people who have been working there for over a decade, and has told me I will always have a job there. I'm currently a software engineering student, so my hope is to get a decent job after graduation (my college's placement rate was supposedly over 90%, and most had entry salaries in the 70k's-90k's, so as long as I work hard I'm probably set for life).

I find all the "unemployed" votes quite disturbing... :(