Poll: Are you guys upgrading to windows 8 ?

Apr 5, 2008
Not sure yet. I'm quite literally in the middle of the buying process for a "gaming laptop" (with i7, 8 GB DD3, Geforce 650M optimus with 2gb gddr5, a 256gb ocz SSD and...an 11.6" screen for the ultimate portable powerhouse). Additionally, I'm going to build myself a new desktop this Autumn, as soon as the GTX685 is available as that will be the centre of the system. I'll pick up an i7, 8/16gb of ddr3, whatever top end mobo Asus are currently offering and the hard drives/opticals/discrete sound card will be kept from my existing system. Both machines I hope will last me the next 5-6 years (with a possible GFX upgrade in 3 years time).

So with all the new tech, Win8 is the new OS and makes sense to go with. I'll be running 7 on the laptop (when it arrives, hopefully next week!) for now at least and might update to 8. I might wait to see what reviewers say about its gaming performance as that will ultimately be the deciding factor. Same as or better than 7, I'll prob go for it. Otherwise I'll stick with 7. For the desktop, I think it'll be a close thing between when I build it and the release of the new OS.

I don't really need Metro, "apps", an "app store" or the like. Just Steam, Firefox, Nero and Winamp and I'm more or less golden :) Ultimately, what does it offer over 7, for a gamer?

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Ardure said:
Destal said:
I tried the consumer preview of it and absolutely hated it; none of it is intuitive.
Microsoft has become less and less intuitive over the years in general. Using the old Microsoft Office is about 100x easier than using anything after 2003. They have gotten really good at hiding buttons and options from people who actually know what they are doing... which is anyone under the age of 70... actually that's not quite true... under the age of 90 is about right.
Actually, the Office offerings make sense... but, yes, they do require some getting used to (and superior graphics power). I went into trying it out absolutely certain that I would hate it, and 2007 was pretty crap. 2010, on the other hand, is very, very good - if you got the power to run it, that is.

Also... since some of the more tricky stuff is hidden away, you must make use of the (still crap) help option or any respectable online support or online user forum, as the bits that are not much more intuitive are really pretty hard to figure out. Once you know your way around, Office 2010 makes sense.

Windows 8, on the other hand, does not make sense. I personally like the removal of the full-screen "glass" overlay, as it's silly stupid nonsense crap, and there are some welcome changes under the hood, but that's all sent to >NIL: by METRO METRO METRO and whatever they may end up calling it. It's crap, pure and simple.

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
Assuming I DO buy a new laptop on Black Friday, I won't do anything to it. Especially because my parents will be paying for this computer (Mostly), and I probably won't have money afterwards to get Windows 7. I guess I'm gonna have to live with it. Worse comes to happen I can always download Ubuntu and install that until I have money to buy Windows 7.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
KingsGambit said:
I don't really need Metro, "apps", an "app store" or the like. Just Steam, Firefox, Nero and Winamp and I'm more or less golden :) Ultimately, what does it offer over 7, for a gamer?
If they do keep things as is, expect mainly the big change of no longer having a Start menu, as pressing the Windows button invokes "Metro". "Metro" offers a button/tile to start "Desktop Mode". "Metro" also offers to launch applications directly, but it generally wants to launch them in a silly full screen mode that (as of writing this) obviously relies on a touch screen, which most mobile or stationary computer displays do not offer. Control using (expensive) mice and integrated touchpads is... underwhelming, to say the least. You move your pointer where you will soon learn the right options/buttons are hidden, and if you hover there for a bit, they will appear. Yes, you will have to actively WAIT for the things you want to click on to appear.

I can't exactly call it counter-intuitive, but I sure as hell feel like calling it crap wrapped in dog doo doo wrapped in pig vomit. There, Inception 2012, Microsoft-style.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Hell no. Its a tablet and phone OS, I am sticking to 7 as it doesn't hurt my eyes to look at it and doesn't take forever to navigate.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Nope nope nope. I'm going to try my hardest to avoid it and stay in windows 7. I'll have to buy windows 7 again when I change my computer from an am system to an intel i5 system (I may not have to, I still have a little bit of hope I have the installation stuff still), but I'm never gonna get windows 8. It may be faster but everything else I've seen of it seems like a watered down windows 7 so to make way for crappy touchscreen menus. The metro thing is fine, but only on a tablet where it belongs. Wait, quick off topic question, do you have to reinstall windows 7 if you change your motherboard and processor?

Spartan212

Sep 10, 2011
If I wanted a Mac interface, I'd buy a Mac
If I wanted a tablet interface, I'd buy a tablet
Keep that shit off my desktop

monkey_man

Jul 5, 2009
I still use Vista 32 bit, so I suppose not. I really should upgrade my pc some day though, he's starting to become old. :(

dvd_72

Jun 7, 2010
Can someone explain to me how they thought designing an OS which would primarily be used on PCs around tablets would be a good idea? I have no problem with designing around tablets in itself, but then you use the OS for tablets right?

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
If all goes well with Steam on linux, I might be ditching windows entirely for Ubuntu.

Also I get this feeling that they'll try to do the same thing with Vista when it came out and make some games that require Windows 8 so you have to "upgrade". They did it with Halo 2.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I was skeptical about Windows 7 at first,but a friend of mine changed my mind.That and having only 3GB out of 4GB total RAM available because of the 32bit version on my old computer was really gimping my gaming performance.

After I put 1000euros in my new computer a year ago I finally decided to go Windows 7 and I never looked back.

I will probably use Windows 7 way longer than XP one because of it's stability.

PS: Windows 8 can go diaf.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Kevon Huggins said:
I'll be doing what I always do with Microsoft's operating systems.

That being, skipping Windows 8 and waiting for the REAL new OS after Windows 7.

I did the same thing with Vista. (which was an unfinished, shitty version of 7)

I did the same thing with 2000/Millennium edition. (an unfinished, shitty version of XP)

This time will be no different.

Apr 5, 2008
Headdrivehardscrew said:
If they do keep things as is, expect mainly the big change of no longer having a Start menu, as pressing the Windows button invokes "Metro". "Metro" offers a button/tile to start "Desktop Mode". "Metro" also offers to launch applications directly, but it generally wants to launch them in a silly full screen mode that (as of writing this) obviously relies on a touch screen, which most mobile or stationary computer displays do not offer. Control using (expensive) mice and integrated touchpads is... underwhelming, to say the least. You move your pointer where you will soon learn the right options/buttons are hidden, and if you hover there for a bit, they will appear. Yes, you will have to actively WAIT for the things you want to click on to appear.

I can't exactly call it counter-intuitive, but I sure as hell feel like calling it crap wrapped in dog doo doo wrapped in pig vomit. There, Inception 2012, Microsoft-style.
Thanks for the tips. In years past, I'd have been using RC2 of a forthcoming OS for months prior to release, but didn't this time. I understand the Metro thing as being a grand effort to bring consistency between WinMo, Xbox, Windows and tablets, but if it makes using a computer harder and less intuitive, then it's immediately a negative, irrespective of what benefits it offers. A fundamental flaw in the UI like you describe overrides any pros the OS offers over its predecessor.

Any word on possible shennanigans along the lines of "No DX10 for XP"? Will DX12 f.ex be Win8 only, or will it be available to 7? Is win8 (whatever version...dev preview, RC2, beta, etc) atm DX11?

Lastly, any word on what Win8 will be called on release? Will it just be 8?

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Looks like I am the only yes. Wait, let me explain...
I have W7 on my desktop and I won't be upgrading that, I have Xp on my netbook and I won't be upgrading that, I have a spare 32bit Xp license and I won't be upgrading that. However I do have a HTPC gaming machine running the preview and I will be upgrading to the full retail version. Why because Metro works on a TV, because Steam, Origin, GOG, and retail games all work on Windows 8, and because upgrading from thepreview to full release is only going to cost $40. For that money I'll get everything W7 offers (minus WMC but there are alternatives) plus a better interface for the livingroom. I'm not buying a tablet anytime soon but I might considet a W8RT one.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
If they'd kept the Star Menu AND made the Metro screen something you can disable on the desktop version, I'd probably jump on board. As it stands, might get it for a test bed machine so I can keep myself ahead of the curve.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
Nope. I'm still on Windows XP. It's not flashy, but it's reliable and it's what I'm used to.
Notice the what I'm used to part. Look at Windows XP. Now look at Windows 8. That thing's like my worst nightmare come true.