Poll: Are you happy?

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Ask me around summer of last year, you'd get a definite no. After some personal growth and a bit of reconcile you get a very relieved me. Now, I'm feeling neutral. I have a crappy job which isn't very hard work, I have a place to live, a family, an opportunity to try again and some friends, none of which I am particularly close to.

S'okay, I guess. At least I'm in the first world.

Tactical Pause

Jan 6, 2010
Not really, no. Actually, this is a fact I have become acutely aware of in recent months. Of course, the worst part is that my life isn't that hard, so I have very little reason to be unhappy, yet I still am. It's not so serious that I never feel happy, but the general trend tends to be negative rather than positive.

Ah well, things will improve once I put enough effort into improving them, so I just have to get to work on that.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I'd be lying if I sad I was miserable and had lots of serious troubles. I have a roof over my head, lots of great material possessions, a caring family etc.

2013 in general had lots of nasty things in store for me, yet it was a good year too. So yeah, I'm happy, but I have a lot of anxieties and concerns too at this point in my life. It could be so much better, but it could be much much MUCH worse for me.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Mom is mentally disabled, and it's progressive, uncurable and terminal.She recently had a seizure which landed her in the hospital. Got to watch my father, man I never saw stumble cry and barely could hold himself up from the situation. We had to fight for 3 years to get our insurance to cover an aid to help us with the situation.

Grandma who's lived with me all my life has been diagnosed with cancer, they only managed to get some of it out.

Trying to be positive but it's rough.

Drew something to vent my anger a bit

legend of duty

Apr 30, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
No, I'm not happy. I owe over $10,000 in student loans from taking 3 college programs that I can't even use. I work 2 jobs which gives me just enough money to get by. My relationship prospects are non-existant and I'm 32 years old. The only thing I do have going for me is a loving and supportive family.
Three degrees for ten grand(I know you paid some of it off, but still)? and they are all useless? What were they in?

Filiecs

May 24, 2011
Yes, I'm VERY happy. I come from a very supportive upper middle-class family and am currently attending the college of my dreams. My courses are very rigorous (20-21 credits per semester to graduate in 4-years) so I don't really have a choice but to always be productive. However, I'm doing what I love and don't regret a single moment of it. I still have fun with my friends every week and am making sure that I make the most of the opportunities that have been given to me.

On an internal level, I've rarely ever NOT been happy. The only time I could ever consider myself having felt something even close to depression would have been the summer between leaving high-school early and going to college. I had no idea what to do and felt like a worthless slob. It could just be that I am an optimist, but I've always found that everything always turns out better than expected for me.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Sure, I'm young, in good health, I'm tight with my family but I live on my own, I've got a degree and I'm catching up to my second, there's a job, there's a girlfriend, there're 3 very precious and very valuable friends, I go to the movies for free all year long thanks to my press pass, I've got a book published and I can treat myself to videogames whenever I want. I've never had a lot of money but I'm good at saving and precision-spending.

See what I'm doing there? I'm listing reasons why I should not be unhappy. Because sometimes I have to do that. There's depression, and anxiety, and confusion about my professional future, about my financial independence from my parents, about a lot of things that are very fine on an existential level but pale in the face of poverty or hunger or illness (which I don't have).

I better be happy.
(that's a "yes" on the poll btw)

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I have things in my life I am unhappy with, but overall I'm a relatively happy person.
I can recall a brief period in 2011 when I was perfectly content with all aspects of my life. It was terrible.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
legend of duty said:
canadamus_prime said:
No, I'm not happy. I owe over $10,000 in student loans from taking 3 college programs that I can't even use. I work 2 jobs which gives me just enough money to get by. My relationship prospects are non-existant and I'm 32 years old. The only thing I do have going for me is a loving and supportive family.
Three degrees for ten grand(I know you paid some of it off, but still)? and they are all useless? What were they in?
I didn't say they were degrees. 2 certificates and 1 diploma. Certificates in PC Repair and Computer Networking, neither of which an employer will even look at because they are not A+ or Network+ or some other damn +. And a diploma in Multimedia Production which, while I passed with a decent GPA, my actual skills are not good enough to get me a job in that field.

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
No I'm not happy.

My first ever girlfriend broke up with me about five weeks ago.

We were together for six months and she suddenly ended the relationship when there were no issues in it at all.

I'm 32 years old. And again she was my first GF. So yeah, not happy at all.

A.A.K

Mar 7, 2009
Interesting question.

I shouldn't be. I have every reason not to be.
A woman I thoroughly dislike is dating a good mate, I'll be putting down 2 of my 3 dogs in a couple days time - who I've had for 14 years. I'm not on speaking terms with anybody on my mother's side of the family, 4 people on 2 separate occasions have tried to kill me in the last 6 months and I'm still unemployed.

However, the rule with my parents is so long as I don't bring the cops home I can stay for free, when I want sex I can typically get it, when I want weed I get it, the scars on my hands and forearms act as trophies, I have "effectively" free entry at a fight gym, I finished a $1400 tat on Thursday and it looks fucking awesome and I'm getting an anatolian shepherd when my dogs pass on. Uni's coming up in a couple months (Feb24), but I averaged distinctions last semester, and I'm doing less work in the semester upcoming so I'm really not fussed and whenever I need money to pay for whatever I'm after (tattoos, dates, alcohol...) I fall into it.

'Spose overall, if I want something, I find a way to get it, and I don't give two fucks about any family that doesn't live under this roof. My dogs are (REALLY) old and starting to develop tumours/growths (staffies). I'd rather just put em down than have them suffer...and on that lady who's dating a good mate of mine, it works out well for me. Now I just treat her like an appendage of him and can politely just fuck them off by saying "I don't wanna stir the pot, I'll see you when she's not around."
So...I'm pretty happy at the moment.

Yea, I'm a terrible person, I objectify women and get into situations that involve violence.
I don't care, and I keep it around people who do the same. I don't see an issue using women who objectify themselves, I don't see an issue fighting with other combatants (and 11 years of training is a nice assurance of the outcome anyway - you have a pretty good idea whether you'll come out fine or not).
OH! and I never bring drugs or alcohol around my sisters.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
Not really no.

Just got back from the US yesterday, spent a month with my girlfriend to try and solve our relationship issues. Today I find out that I'm 'an amazing person and an even better friend' but she doesn't love me anymore. I had thought the month had gone quite well despite knowing deep down it would end, turns out my best friend knew within the first week while I was there. The trip was draining physically and financially, my parents will soon start pestering me again to get a job in a town where there is basically no jobs for disabled people. What few friends I have live far away, the weather is stupidly hot and I lack a car. Right now I want to curl up, drink and pass out to be perfectly honest.

What? First World Problems? Yeah, I know life could be a fuckload worse, scream about how privileged I am or whatever and I should count the good things. But it's one of those cases where shit just slams you and you can't deal with t.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
At the moment, very happy.

Community college is going well, I'm about 2/4s of the way closer to going to a 4 year art school and follow my dreams to become a professional animator.
I have a nice part time job that offers me a lot of free time to spend time with friends and play video games.
And I just met this wonderful girl who has feelings for me... and has seen Monty Python, watches LotR on a regular basis, and whose favorite game of all time is Metroid Prime. I think I might also be falling in love... whatever that is, idk! ^__^

Before all that I kind of felt grey, now I'm just glad life after free education isn't so bad. I'm ready for any ups and downs now.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I am content for now. I will be truly happy when I find a driving force in my life.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
JoJo said:
Pretty much, yes. It sucks that I'm currently unemployed but I'm lucky enough to have a family who can afford to host me until I track down that elusive job and I enjoy living and having fun in general. Not everything is perfect but I'm content with my lot in life.
Have you tried applying as a substitute teacher? I've spent countless hours applying for various part time jobs while applying as teacher got me a job quite quickly. If just for something to get the ball rolling it's not that bad.

OT: Well, I'm poor, not good looking, I've got a busy schedule (lab, lectures, possibly filling in as a teacher), some constant joint pains (I'm being tested for rheumatism and desperately hoping those tests to turn out negative) and I am trying to deal with mild social anxiety.

All in all my life is a bundle of joy. I recently dropped out of university ending up studying molecular biology which is what I have wanted to do for a long time. I have plenty of games and shows to keep me entertained whenever I have some time off between studies. I live in a crappy appartment, but it's cheap enough to allow me to buy games and some decent food. I'm quite happy because there's so much to be happy about and it's more fun to focus on those things rather than all those things that bring me down.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Due to conspiring circumstances, my gap year has become quite socially deprived, and shifts from the job I expected to carry me through said year seem to have dried up.

My boss insists I'm still on staff and that there will be shifts down the line, but I do get the feeling I'm being sneak-let-go. Or possibly sneak-fired, which makes me worry about my competence. I'm hoping that if I don't have the job anymore, it's because we are quite heavily staffed.

So... I'd say discontent is the word. And bored. If I could fast-forward to next September when University will finally arrive, I probably would.

Or at the very least, to March so I can see if I made the shortlist for this writing competition I entered. I'd skip over my birthday, but those only get token acknowledgement, anyway. Something I have mixed feelings about.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Really, it depends on the day. The swings are no doubt tied to my current mental...maladies (illness is too strong, disorder implies it's more permanent though it doesn't seem to be; not sure what to call it).

Don't really have much in the way of friends at the moment. Changed schools a while back and the new one has a student body small enough (and they are ALL FUCKING "teenagers") that I've not made any new ones. A few acquaintances, no real friends. I'm sick and tired of high school by this point, though since I'm a senior this is kinda par for the course. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to take a physics course on top of standard course load because administrative shenanigans kept me from taking it at any point before, and it's not offered to seniors, AND it's an entrance requirement to... everywhere I want to go bar 1 school (which, appropriately, is the one I feel I'm going to wind up going to anyway. Haven't got nearly the GPA or extra curriculars for the others). Said course sucks up the majority of my free time and it looming over my head makes it really hard to justify going anywhere social because I feel like I'm wasting too much time. Really the whole application process and said course have made me feel like I've gotten less mentally adept (or straight up less intelligent) and that I mostly wasted my childhood.

TLDR: senior year of high school compounded by no friends and diagnosable mental health issues. I'm also basically ON the poverty line, though at least my computer is still functional and we have all our utilities. Hell, we still got cable tv. Things aren't so bad, I just need some help to see them that way. It'll get better. Just gotta persevere.