Poll: Are you narrowminded when it comes to music?

Tanzka

Jan 7, 2009
There might be and probably is a topic similar to this but I did not find one so I will make one.

When it comes to music, are you narrowminded? Do you listen to one or a few genres and all others are in your opinion poor? When someone does not like the same music that you do, do you hate him and try to convince him into believing he is completely wrong etc?

I used to be like that, but now I listen to other genres than heavy metal and everything under that tag like black metal etc. I like hardstyle and hardcore music and randomly listen to something I feel like listening thanks to Spotify.

This topic is valid for removal if there is a similar one lurking behind the corner.

Fronken

May 10, 2008
I wouldnt say im narrow minded as much as im aware of what i like, i have tried every genre i have heard and the ones im listening to now are the ones i like the most, there are some of them i find to be total crap, and i usually say that when i meet someone who likes them, but i dont try to push my music on them just for the sake of it.

RavingPenguin

Engaged to PaintyFace
Jan 20, 2009
I'll give most anything a shot and enjoy many, many genres. Rock, Dance, Electronica, Classical, and Folk to name a few. The only thing I refuse to listen to is hip-hop and R&B, I really dont enjoy those genres. I dont mind rap so much and I listen to a bit of Eminem and Fort Minor.

MisterAnarchist

Feb 10, 2009
I go from a range of Leftover Crack to Tchaikovsky, Jerry Reed to Beastie Boys, Dimmu Borgir to Jethro Tull. I like to think I'm pretty open minded.

It's like anything else, there's crappy bands in every genre but there's also some gold in every genre.

chaser[phoenix]

Oct 17, 2008
Not really.
I do prefer certain genres but I'm always open to listen to anything. A friend just got me into a few bands that were completely out of my favorite genre.

I mean there are things that someone will play and I'll comment as to how awful it is, but I typically enjoy a fair amount of things I hear.
Well, except like 95% of that ridiculous rap. It's just annoying.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
I can and have listened to and enjoyed (even if just a little) every genre (I know of) except noisecore

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
I like good music... Allow me to elaborate, I like music from all kinds of genres, but not everything from one genre.

Cheesebob

Oct 31, 2008
Erm...I dunno I am very Rock and Rap(ish) orientated

I.E. R.E.M., Coldplay, Oasis, Eminem, D12, DMX, Cypress Hill and others...

But I don't know

bmf185

Jan 8, 2009
Narrow-minded? No. But I do play the guitar, and it's kind of a rule that you have to hate and think you are better than everyone else that plays the guitar, so I guess that could be construed as being narrow-minded.

SSilverB

Jan 21, 2009
No, I'll give anything a listen. It just happens that the stuff I like is 90s rap and pre-00s rock

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I listen to all sorts, I just don't have a problem with a lot of music. I'll listen to something once and if I like it then I like it, and if I don't, then I don't have to listen to it again. However, like anyone I do have my own style (Indie Rock and 'soft' rock), and I have my own favourite bands and artists, quite diverse, in fact (James Morrison, Fall Out Boy, Paramore, Panic at the Disco, Kids in Glass Houses, La Roux, Coldplay, and so on...). However, from past experience I simply refuse to listen to anything from either the Pussycat Dolls or Lady Gaga. The Sugababes are suspect too, as is Britney Spears (anything after Hit Me Baby One More Time was pretty crap).

I suppose everyone has some level of narrow mindedness about them though, you don't normally see people who are willing to listen to anything once, even if they claim otherwise. It's just a question of how narrow minded we all are...

Arrers

Mar 4, 2009
I'm quite narrow minded and very rock oriented, but I like the more quirky rock bands.

Duh

Feb 19, 2009
i have been on a more indy and folk mood but i still rock out to AC/DC etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NUdznkCZ74
one of my favorite songs these days

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
Yes, I am. Rap, country, and emo/scream-o are for idiots. Yeah, that's right, I'm talking to you.

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
I like every genre of music though I have a preference for rock in general still I listen to most things even rap, because MC. Hammer kicks ass. Although I#ll admit to not liking metal as I can never make out the lyrics and it sounds rubbish to me. Still I guess it appeals to other people.

Tanzka

Jan 7, 2009
vivaldiscool said:
I can and have listened to and enjoyed (even if just a little) every genre (I know of) except noisecore
I am so going to regret this, but care to give an example of noisecore seeing as I have never ever heard of it?

mark_n_b

Mar 24, 2008
Tanzka said:
I used to be like that, but now I listen to other genres than heavy metal and everything under that tag like black metal etc. I like hardstyle and hardcore music and randomly listen to something I feel like listening thanks to Spotify.
So you went from being completely narrow, to just plain old narrow?

That's ironic. The point being until you are able to comment on the value of genres that aren't... I don't now how to put it... contemporary offshoots of punk? Like them or not, you have a long way to go before you can call yourself open minded.

As it stands I get the impression you would scoff at putting on a tux to attend an academic recital and laugh at people who like Britney and techno (not literally laugh but offer no respect for)

Maybe you don't, but the fairly singular musical field you reference in your OP does not reflect what I would call true open mindedness with reference to music.

To answer the question, I have my favorites, but I am very open minded and interested in the culture and forms of all sorts of music. Pumping it too loud does hurt my ears however, so I don't crank it and rarely hit concerts, but I have no criticism for those that do.