Poll: Are you offended if someone insults you?

Xarathox

Feb 12, 2013
Bamba really likes these polls...

Anywhozzle, I ignore any insults. There's not enough fucks in the world for me to give what others think anymore. I'm too old and I don't have the energy for it.

Captcha: Shingles... thanks for jinxing me, damnit.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
It depends on who says it, and how they say it too. If it?s a stranger (which counts people on the internet), I don?t give a fuck because they don?t know me in person. But if it?s a close friend or a relative like my older sister, then it hits hard because she?s known me for 17 years and she?s practically my mentor.

However, if it?s an acquaintance or one of my friends, I might be prone to trying to come up with some witty insult back because?well, I?m a petty, immature, and short-fused character. Otherwise, I just try to ignore them while letting my offense stir inside me. If I know they?re joking, I?ll outwardly treat it as banter, but on the inside, it depends on what they say.

Grottnikk

Mar 19, 2008
It depends on who it is. If it's someone I care about, and they are dead serious, then I'd like to know why and what's up with them (hint: if someone's insulting you, it's usually about them not you).

If, on the other hand, it's NOT someone I know, then I laugh in their face and keep on going.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
There's only two responses to being insulted that make any sense, and it depends on the nature of the insult:

If the insult is accurate, meaning the person has pointed out a genuine flaw, then you should thank them and fix that flaw.

If the insult is not accurate, then it shouldn't matter to you at all and you should ignore the person.

Getting offended wouldn't accomplish anything.

Oct 2, 2012
Nope they're just words. Words that usually come from people that are far below my notice.
Getting hurt or offended is playground crap that I've never had the time to give a shit about.

I usually just point out how their attempts at an insult amuse me and then just walk away.

I only care if someone starts throwing fists honestly.

Zombie Sodomy

Feb 14, 2013
I answered grapes for two reasons: 1) grapes and 2) I never really get seriously insulted; I'm a guy and when I hang out with guys we just rip on each other jokingly. We never really insult each other for real.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
None of the above? When someone insults me I try not to show it bothers me; instead I internalise it, where it eats away at me for days, weeks, months... until I hit bottom and it comes boiling up out of me in the form of self-hatred, disgust, and thoughts of "vanishing" (not suicide, just... not existing).

So yeah, healthy I am not.

Unless it's on the internet. For some reason I can't take a stranger insulting me on the internet wholly serious.

Roroshi14

Dec 3, 2009
It depends on what they say. In reality there is only one thing that offends me and retaliate instinctively, that's when someone calls me crazy. Usually I'm calm, cool and collected, but ever since I spent some time in an asylum for depression I haven't been able to take when someone says that word to me, and mean it. Ya I can take a joke and know when people are sarcastic, its when they mean it I get offended.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
It depends, but usually no. If it's someone that doesn't really know me, then I won't be bothered at all. They don't know me, I don't expect them to make an accurate judgement on me and I don't care that much about their opinion on me. If it's someone who does know me, and they mean it, then I might be offended, because I'd like to think they know me well enough to know I'm not a prick.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
The thing is I am good looking, generous, friendly and humble so people have no reason to hate me. I only ever argue with my mum and I know she does not mean the things she says when she is upset.

DkLnBr

Apr 2, 2009
I have pretty thick-skin and am really patient, so there is very little that actually gets under my skin. Then on top of that I've never been very expressive with my emotions and I get quiet when I'm angry, so if they do actually say something that hits a nerve I probably wont do anything more than just give them a dirty look. The only insult that has caught me off guard was one time a guy I knew said that "I was too nice, I never get angry" but in a negative way. I didn't know what to do or say. Maybe I came off as Joo Dee from the Last Airbender?

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
I'd like to think I would ignore it, but I probably would take it badly. I haven't been badly insulted in a long time, and it would probably hurt. And I think those who said they would ignore it need to think harder about it. I'm not just talking about a randomer on the street swearing at you, or someone on the internet calling you stupid - I mean someone you know and possinly respect saying they find you boring, or that you talk too much, or that you're a little slow. Think about it. I bet it hurts more than you admit it does.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
If I get the feeling that they insulted me in an effort to offend me, I do not get offended at the insult but at the fact that they saw it fit to offend me.

I could only describe that as "funky logic", but I don't take issue with what they said, but with "Now what'd you go and do THAT for!?"

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
It'd vary depending on who says it, but generally if you insult me then you clearly hate me, so I should hate you and view you with complete distrust.

You let people fuck with you like that and still act like you're friends, before long everyone'll be doing it.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
I am an emotional pansy. I get rather offended. But I am more likely to avoid said person from then on. Not necessarily expecting an apology though.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
If it's a friend it'll bug me otherwise I tend to cool down and let it go after a bit.

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
Depends who it is, and whether or not I think it is true.
If it's someone I know in real life, and possibly respect I am more likely to be offended.
If the insult is what I consider to be true, I'll probably admit it and not be offended.
If the insult is something I disagree with, I'm probably going to argue and not be offended.
If I am not sure whether the insult is true or not, that's where I'll dwell on it.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
If I know the person and what they say is true, then yes, I will take offense.
It's some random asshole on the street or a drunk douche at party, I couldn't care less.