Poll: Are you partial to indie games?

Lightning Faron

May 24, 2011
I have always preferred the independent studios that were willing to take risks with inventive games than the usual suspects erm.. EA... that will spend millions of dollars recycling the same game for x amount of years. Recently i got my indie gamer fix by playing games like Limbo and And yet it moves. They are both amazing games and i recommend anyone to try them out. And if there are any other games like that please let me know :D

Helscreama

Nov 29, 2009
I play games I like, if it's indie, great, if it's commercial, awesome.

How a game is made doesn't effect if I like it or not.

Dizzy_Desu

Jan 29, 2011
Lately most mainstream commercial titles have been fairly generic modern warfare FPSs, fantasy RPGs, and zombie games. Lately the indie market has produced hits like Braid, Trine, Amnesia, Recettear, Limbo, Bastion, and Super Meat Boy if you like that kind of thing. So I'm a bit more interested in indie games myself.

Starcraft II was really fun though.

GenericPCUser

Dec 22, 2010
I love both indie games and commercial games. There isn't any preference, I just enjoy playing both.

Ghaleon640

Jan 13, 2011
I like the idea of indie games, but for most of them, the ones on Xbox live being sold for only a few dollars, it becomes kind of this sad mix between, this seems really really cheap, and your not quite sure if they made it as fast as humanly possible or if they really put in their blood sweat and tears, the people that know they probably can't get more than a few friends to help them in a dream that will probably never be fully realized or accepted. (Though hell, through all the odds it still makes one want to give it a shot.)

Of course there are games like limbo, but I guess my own ignorance prohibits me from really knowing where it stands as indie games go. Braid was an indie game as I've been told, but wasn't it incredibly well funded? How indie is that?

I do feel that a lot of big named commercial games are playing it far too safe. Maybe if they toned down the graphics and put less money into them they could try some new outragious ideas. As much as I enjoy video games, I'm having a hard time feeling that they are as fresh and new as they used to be. Mostly everything on Xbox and PS3 seem rather samey, while the wii is almost entirely complete shovelware.

Sorry if all of this is complete ignorant nonesense btw. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

HassEsser

Jul 31, 2009
I've always preferred independent games, but naturally I play way more commercial games than I ever could indie. Although I do have a TON of indie games on my STEAM account. . .

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
Nope. If it's good, it's good, though indie games do at least have a good chance of being unusual, and many of my favourite games just so happen to be indie (or rather old).

I suppose I do have a bit of a preference towards them, though. Purely because I can run basically any indie game, while 90% of mainstream PC titles are right out.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Helscreama said:
I play games I like, if it's indie, great, if it's commercial, awesome.

How a game is made doesn't effect if I like it or not.
Annnnnd answered. Boy that was easy, didn't have to do a thing.

Lightning Faron

May 24, 2011
Thnx for the replies! So glad to hear everyones thoughts on the subject, I was just watching old episodes of Extra Creditz and they know exactly what I mean. The industry isn't willing to take risks with their money to invest in more creative games and thats why almost every game is an FPS rehash. It kind of sucks no one has the funds to make more interesting experimental titles. But at least we have steam. :D

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
The problem for me is that Indie developers have no money... this naturally affects what they can do.

Most Indie games are just platformers or maybe beat 'em ups. There is the odd zaniness of something like angry birds sure, but you don't get Assassin's Creed, the Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect and those kinds of games from an Indie studio: they just don't have the budget.

Since the above mentioned games are a couple of my favourites produced in the last couple years (and the the series I am most looking forward to the next installment of) I have to vote for the big, 'commercial' studios.

Ashannon Blackthorn

Sep 5, 2011
I play both. I like some of each type, I hate some of each type. I think the biggest limitation is how open minded you wish to be in both directions. Anyone who pulls the elitist artsy crap can eat as much molten rock as the console fanboy sticking up for x megabuck game cause his system runs it.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I love me some Amnesia and I love my Mass Effect 2.Why should I have to choose between them?

They're all available for purchase after all. And it's not like my computer has a mutually exclusive indie/commercial switch on the back.

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
I suppose, sure. I'm always for supporting the little guy. They're the ones with the freedom to be creative. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy AAA games, but the question posed was: "Are you partial to Indie Games?". I most certainly am.

Dimitriov said:
Most Indie games are just platformers or maybe beat 'em ups. There is the odd zaniness of something like angry birds sure, but you don't get Assassin's Creed, the Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect and those kinds of games from an Indie studio: they just don't have the budget.
I can assume you're a console gamer if you think all indie games are "platformers or beat 'em ups". Look at the top sellers in the "indie" category on Steam: there isn't a single platformer or beat em up there. There's an incredible variety to indie games... probably more variety than AAA games, since they have the freedom to be creative and innovative.

CBanana

Aug 10, 2010
Indie games tend to have a much better batting average with me. I really like the fact that indie games are allowed to be far more innovative, quirky, or given more niche appeal.