Poll: Arming the UK Police

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Shoqiyqa said:
deal said:
How about this: allow your police to carry weapons in their cars; that way they wouldn't have to wait a half hour or more if they need to use them. The guns could be hidden and locked up.
Works fine until someone steals the car.

There are actually already British Police Cars with secured firearms in them I think, but they never leave the vehicle unattended. If they all get out, its either because they're back at the station or they're arming up for a call and they are in possession of the firearms.

UbarElite

Feb 16, 2008
I do have to admit, the inability of 30 people to restrain one man, who only had a single melee weapon (not even a firearm...just imagine the devastation that would cause) either points to an incompetent police force (Possible, but I'm not going to jump to that conclusion) or a need for countermeasures for such situations (Firearms).

I imagine firearms would be a helpful solution to such problems. In terms of poll options, either option 1 or 2 are the ones I'm debating on, and I've got to go with 1 just due to the fact that you might not be called out to the situation and thus get a chance to grab a firearm: if you are the first on the scene, having a gun would be very helpful in a situation like the one depicted in the video.

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
Shoqiyqa said:
Conza said:
If even one of those police officers had a firearm, they could've shot the suspect in the chest, ... not fatally wounding them ... damage none.
*crackle* Hello, Charlie Six Three, this is Mike One Zero. I spell: Whisky, Tango, Foxtrot, over?
That's no a quote of my words, there's been a syntax error in your selection, the first part was a quote from mikezero.

Recheck that if you please.

Gordon_4 said:
Conza said:
Gordon_4 said:
Conza said:
Option one. To protect and serve the people, law enforcements require firearms.

If you aren't persuaded by the video, then I thank the fact you are not in charge of any state or federal Australian police authorities, because firearms should never be removed from their side, and under any circumstance theyy do or do not believe to need a firearm, they should carry one, because anything could happen.

Serenegoose said:
Snip... If even one of those police officers had a firearm, they could've shot the suspect in the chest, arm, leg, ect, not fatally wounding them, and removing any possibility that the suspect would harm anyone else. Threat contained, damage none. In this scenario it took the time of 30+ officers to detain '1' person. That is inefficent when the cost of a single round would've saved all that hassle.

EDIT: And let me add, if anyone else was actually wounded, or forbid, killed as a result of no firearms as could've easily been the case in this scenario, you might think twice about giving the proper tools, to the people we entrust our safety to.
There is no such thing as shooting to wound/not fatally injuring. From what I have picked up from speaking with Police Officers, firearms doctrine is shooting for the centre of mass (the chest) and to keep shooting until the target stops moving.

In the case of this man here, it would have resulted in his death. The Police have a duty to protect the public, and in this case they protected a man from himself. To me that is the height of nobility. Well done lads, pints of bitter all around.

I certainly wouldn't object to the UK police being issued with tazers, beanbag shotguns or CS pellet rifles. Nor would I intend to disarm the Australian Police force; we have achieved balance with it and the system here need not change.
I hardly find myself saying this Gordon, but I have no room to move other than, you are wrong.

Why? It certainly is possible to shoot to wound and any enforment, intelligence or military agency worth its salt knows how to, and tries to.

Shooting him in the chest would have a high likelihood of causing death, not having the ability to shoot him, anywhere, would certainly have the chance of one of the officers dying.
I have been lectured at length, that shooting to disable is total bullshit and on this very website no less. It does not happen. When a Police officer draws a sidearm, one of two things happens: the target surrenders or he gets shot. Multiple times; the human body is a tricky and cunning bastard and can keep going despite getting shot, so the doctrine is to shoot for centre of mass until they stop moving. At which point, they usually have quite a few bullets in their chest. Shooting in the leg is dangerous because of the major arteries in the leg and they can bleed out. Its also a small, moving target.

The man in the video was mentally ill and thus would probably not surrender due to a gun being pointed at him, more dangerous to himself than anyone else. The Police protected the public, as is their charter. This video condemns the state of Mental Health policy and services in the UK far more than condemns the Police.
Wow, you trust the sources of this website? Did they provide you with any training credentials you could verify? I have credentials of which you can't verify, as I'm not going to provide them, but suffice to say I've had weapons training and know, that shooting to wound is the most valid option available.

During war, if you kill a man, his fellow comrades will leave him there for the moment, and come back to collect him, if you wound a man however, you take other valuable soldiers from the fight, to see to it that he doesn't die.

Whoever gave you that incorrect information has clearly done you a disservice, shooting to wound is the best and most valid option in almost every situation.

The doctrine, yarda yarda, in this scenario that would'nt have been necessary, as I said if you'd like to read back, properly trained personnel know they can shoot someone in multiple areas, shooting in the chest is an old school method used up until Vietnam (not that the UK was there of course), where a 7.62 round would plant someone in the ground if you shot them in the chest.

Also, no one would argue against that fact, that the mental facility that released him either made a mistake (dangeous in itself), or is simply incompetent.

Shooting in another location can definately stop a suspect, killing is not necessary, and is the last resort for almost every trained personnel, military, intelligence or police.

striker121

Apr 28, 2010
Conza, while you're right that not every gunshot is a "killshot", there are a million ways a supposedly "non-lethal" shot could kill someone easily by hitting an artery or something of the like. In general though, especially in most of the situations where people criticize the police for not employing such tactics, it involves close-quarters "Man with a knife lunging at you" split-second decisions. There's a reason standard procedure is to aim for the center of the mass, you can't really try to hit anything else sometimes. (Supposedly hydrostatic shock means ANYWHERE could -instantly- kill someone, but evidence of that is iffy at best).

Looking at crime rates the United Kingdom IS actually WORSE per capita than the US on a number fronts. Interestingly though, violent crimes in general are significantly lower and NOT just violent crimes that have ANYTHING to do with firearms, there certainly are some social factors at work here (Knife crime rates in the UK are significantly higher then the US though, one of the highest rates in the world).

I agree however that a firearm would certainly not be the best option for the situation in the video, but there was definitively a need for a few on hand in case the situation got even worse and other, non-lethal, options failed. In the US I would call anyone who suggested that officers go unarmed too-dumb-to-live, but in the UK, who knows, maybe fewer guns works. What I DO think should be done is having guns in squad cars and training officers to use them. Sure, they may not be used for most situations, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't prepare for the worst. Like others have said, if you're worried about squad cars being stolen or guns sold to the government (IE: Police) being put into the hands of criminals...well you have far worse crime issues by that point.

Previously a number of people also mentioned that "Criminals have guns because they know police have guns." Personally I have to say that's one of the stupider things I've read today. Criminals want to commit crimes in order to gain something, generally money. Guns make crimes easier because you have a gun... a weapon far more threatening than a knife, you're less likely to be opposed. Of course a criminal is going to carry a gun in that case and as many have shown, they are more than willing to use them as well. (Large part of the reason behind officers having high caliber sidearms is actually due to the large number of drugged out crazies that go on rampages using MELEE weapons. Tazers don't stop those kinds of people, simple brute force or even lower caliber BULLETS don't stop such people. Sometimes a gun is just the only option)

(On a side note, I call total bull on any "average" individual trained and well practiced in pistol use being able to hit a target reliably from 300 feet away. At that distance a man-sized target would barely be visible when aiming down a pistol sight in comparison to the sight itself. Personally I'm a terrible shot with pistols and stick to rifles for that reason when I target shoot, but that still is a pretty damn commendable feat that is in no way something normally do-able.)

(If anything in my post seems non-sensical, that's likely because it's getting pretty late here in New York, I'll work it out later)

Jazzyjazz2323

Jan 19, 2010
Do people citing crime rates in the U.S. realize the reason they're so high is not because firearms are legal it's because the drug trade is enormously huge in our country.We border mexico and are in an extremely closer proximity then any other western nation to the top exporters of illegal narcotics in the world.How would you think the U.K. would handle if it wasn't situated on an Island.So please in this argument keep in mind our part of the world is extremely different as is yours so I couldn't begin to vote on this but I guess me personally I would want my police force armed at all times.

Shoqiyqa

Mar 31, 2009
Grevensher said:
What point are you trying to make? If you can't hit a target at 300 feet with a pistol, put your gun away and stick to call of duty.
Yes, I can hit a target at 100m with a pistol. If I got a Browning 9mm Hi-Power or a Colt 1911 .45cal and five full magazines and took carefully-aimed shots at a stationary full-size Figure 11 target at 100m, I'd hit it. Unlike the world of Call of Duty, this world has a rather peculiar phenomenon which can be summed up as follows: "Every bullet hits something." Actually, some bullets hit more than one thing, because the first things they hit are kerbstones, flagstone, walls, truck engines or whatever and they bounce off or because the first things they hit are soft flesh, car doors, wooden fences, bushes or whatever and they carry on right through. On the range, the ones that go through that target and the ones that miss by not much will hit the huge artificial sand dune behind it, which isn't so bad. In New York City, there are fewer huge artificial sand dunes and a lot of people, all of them with rights and most of them with access to legal representation.

You may think it's worth spraying a hundred rounds down Fifth Avenue at 2pm on a Saturday to hit a mugger twice, but .....
Shoqiyqa said:
Our priorities can't be the same here.
That apparently wasn't really clear. Let me try highlighting some parts of what I said, to see whether that's enough to cause you to read them this time.
Shoqiyqa said:
According to that, an average shooter can hit a human-sized target 50% of the time at 50m with a 9mm pistol. tanding calmly at the range, taking my time, I used to be able to put in saucer-sized (between palm-sized and side-plate-sized) groups at 25m with a 9mm, but I really doubt that means I'd get 100% accuracy at 50m on a target twice that size in a hurry, outdoors, in a situation that actually warranted shooting someone. If you don't hit the target, where does the bullet go?
dogstile said:
Looks like you're the one who needs to go back to playing COD

This is factoring in wind, stress, etc. Too many factors for a perfect shot.
Thankyou, dogstile, for so visibly having a clue.

A quick search brings up the Men's 50m pistol shooting in the Olympics. As dogstile and I have now both pointed out, this is calm, slow shooting at the indoor range. They're also the world's best (unless maybe you want to claim you're a member of some elite Special Forces unit so secret they're not allowed to compete in sporting events) and using long-barrelled target pistols with long sight radii and fancy grips, fancy goggles and all sorts of stuff like that, firing 5.6mm, aka .22LR, which has a 100-200 ftlb muzzle energy, compared to the 380-700 ftlb of a 9mm ... and so on and so forth, and they're all on-target with every shot, but that final scoreboard is showing 5 points difference and one of those shots was "only" an 8.2, which is barely a hit at 100m even without wind, tumble or whatever else gets in the way.

Also found: rapid .22 at 25m, producing some really good scores but they know where their targets are and get to line up in advance. Again, they're on a range, not in a firefight.

I also found this one, which has some more really fancy guns and has shooters lying down to fire five shots over two minutes:

The other results coming up are hundred-megabyte size restrictions, hundred-metre sprints, hundred-metre-per-second bb guns and so on.

It ain't THIS:

Treblaine said:
... take a pistol in the same calibre, put it in a vice to fire it removing all physiological factors, it is mechanically an accurate gun it also hits bulls-eye every time at 300 feet.
That does depend on the pistol and ammunition. I refer you to some blogspot post I found via google [http://conventionalpistol.blogspot.com/2005/08/accuracy-tests-preliminary-results.html] as an arbitrary sort of example:
Sample Size Shape Ammunition $/Rnd
#1 2.3" diagonal oval CCI Standard Velocity $0.05
#2 1.5" vertical oval CCI Standard Velocity $0.05
#3 1.5" vertical oval CCI Standard Velocity $0.05
#4 2.5" vertical oval CCI Green Tag $0.12
#5 1.1" vertical oval CCI Green Tag $0.12
#6 1.5" round Remington 22 Target $0.04
#7 2.5" round Remington 22 Target $0.04
#8 1.1" round Federal Gold Match $0.13
#9 1.5" round Federal Gold Match $0.13
#10 1.3" round PMC Pistol Match $0.10
#11 1.5" round PMC Pistol Match $0.10
#12 2.3" slim vert. oval CCI Pistol Match $0.12
#13 1.4" vertical oval CCI Pistol Match $0.12
#14 2.1" vertical oval RWS Subsonic $0.09
#15 1.1" vertical oval RWS Subsonic $0.09
That's at 50 yds with a Ransom Rest. The vertical expansion of groups is attributed to variations in velocity due to inconsistent ammo.

Treblaine said:
But aiming the pistol, you may find can't put more than 1 in 5 bullets even on the target at 300 feet.

The problem is pistols are really really poor aiming and shooting devices:
-smaller mass to absorb recoil
-no buttstock to absorb recoil
-shorter sight radius making aiming errors larger
-rear sight further from eye
-no buttstock to rest your cheek on
-no fore stock for better angle control
-smaller grip area means trigger pull also disrupts hold much more
-greater muzzle blast from short barrel
All true, but you missed the mass of the slide bouncing back and forth on a semi-automatic pistol, huge relative to the bolt carrier assembly moving in a rifle and very significant when compared to a manually-operated action, which has no moving parts except the bullet between ignition and relaxing after the shot.

Treblaine said:
Also, getting your car stolen? Seriously how incompetent does a cop have to be to allow that{?}

If police can't stop their cars being stolen WHILE ON DUTY then we have serious problems.
About this incompetent, apparently:

Grevensher said:
Plenty of places to practice a 100 meter shot:

http://www.funnewjersey.com/upload_user/Different_Outdoor_adventures_NJ/SHOOTING_RANGES_NJ.HTM

http://www.davisshootingsports.com/range.asp

http://www.dtbtest.com/Indoor-Shooting-Range.aspx
Facilities include: Outdoor Pistol (50 yds), Outdoor Rifle (100 to 300 yds), Trap, Skeet

Muzzleloader (75 yards)

The range consists of 13 twenty-five yard shooting ports. There are hanging target holders, for those members wanting to shoot at closer distances.

a 25 Yard semi-outdoor range

It includes a ventilated 25-yard range, a ready room, a master control booth for organized matches, administrative offices, a kitchen, and restrooms. Indoor Pistol (25 yds), Indoor Rifle (25 yds)

Facilities include: Outdoor Pistol (75 ft), Indoor Pistol (50 ft)

Outdoor Pistol (25 yards)

Indoor Pistol (25 yds.), Indoor Rifle (25 yds.)

Outdoor Pistol (25, 50 yds)

Outdoor Pistol (25 yds), Outdoor Rifle (50 - 100 yds)

Facilities include: Indoor Pistol (up to 20 yds)

Outdoor Pistol (25 yds)

Facilities include a 50 foot Indoor rifle range

Indoor Pistol (75 ft), Indoor Rifle (75 ft, .22 only)
Dayton T. Brown, an ISO 9001 and AS9100 registered engineering and testing lab, has expanded its services, now offering a fully functional ballistics testing 100 meter indoor shooting range, in addition to our 15yd underground range.

With over 60 years of experience with engineering and testing DTB is able to provide in condition environmental simulation testing, failure analysis, first article inspections, life cycle and durability, dynamics and vibration, design and program engineering, static and fatigue testing, prototyping and metallurgical engineering.

This background gives us the ability to provide efficient and effective management of your small arms and ballistics testing programs from start to finish.
..... and that's it for mention of ranges from the three links you provided. Nothing there specifically mentions pistol shooting beyond 50 yards. 100 metres is 109.36133 yards, which is more than twice 50 yards. Really.

You're sort of not very good at backing up your assertions.

Conza said:
Shoqiyqa said:
Conza said:
If even one of those police officers had a firearm, they could've shot the suspect in the chest, ... not fatally wounding them ... damage none.
*crackle* Hello, Charlie Six Three, this is Mike One Zero. I spell: Whisky, Tango, Foxtrot, over?
That's no a quote of my words, there's been a syntax error in your selection, the first part was a quote from mikezero.

Recheck that if you please.
Well, I could re-check that. In fact I did! I clicked on my name where you quoted me, then clicked on your name where I'd quoted you, and I looked at the post I'd quoted [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/18.286226.11299861] and I beheld ... well, pretty much what Gordon_4 also quoted, which appears below, because you quoted him quoting you in full in full!

Conza said:
Gordon_4 said:
Conza said:
Gordon_4 said:
Conza said:
Serenegoose said:
Snip... If even one of those police officers had a firearm, they could've shot the suspect in the chest, arm, leg, ect, not fatally wounding them, and removing any possibility that the suspect would harm anyone else. Threat contained, damage none. In this scenario it took the time of 30+ officers to detain '1' person. That is inefficent when the cost of a single round would've saved all that hassle.
Let me just go back and hit the quote button on your post, just to be sure.

Conza said:
Option one. To protect and serve the people, law enforcements require firearms.

If you aren't persuaded by the video, then I thank the fact you are not in charge of any state or federal Australian police authorities, because firearms should never be removed from their side, and under any circumstance theyy do or do not believe to need a firearm, they should carry one, because anything could happen.

Serenegoose said:
police officers are there to keep the peace, not kill people. The UK doesn't suffer from out of control criminality and we have almost no gun crime. What possible use could we have for arming our officers when there is no clear need for them to be so?
I'm picking on you because my post comes after yours. Watch the video. If even one of those police officers had a firearm, they could've shot the suspect in the chest, arm, leg, ect, not fatally wounding them, and removing any possibility that the suspect would harm anyone else. Threat contained, damage none. In this scenario it took the time of 30+ officers to detain '1' person. That is inefficent when the cost of a single round would've saved all that hassle.

EDIT: And let me add, if anyone else was actually wounded, or forbid, killed as a result of no firearms as could've easily been the case in this scenario, you might think twice about giving the proper tools, to the people we entrust our safety to.
See that? Now, let me trim that a little and highlight some parts:

Conza said:
Watch the video. If even one of those police officers had a firearm, they could've shot the suspect in the chest, arm, leg, ect, not fatally wounding them, and removing any possibility that the suspect would harm anyone else. Threat contained, damage none. In this scenario it took the time of 30+ officers to detain '1' person. That is inefficent when the cost of a single round would've saved all that hassle.
To further trim it:

Conza said:
If even one of those police officers had a firearm, they could've shot the suspect in the chest, ... not fatally wounding them, ... damage none.
Those are your words, in sequence, and I do not believe the way I quoted them significantly changed the meaning of what was said. Even if it did change what you said to mean something else, you then said this:

Conza said:
... shooting in the chest is an old school method used up until Vietnam (not that the UK was there of course), where a 7.62 round would plant someone in the ground if you shot them in the chest.
Firstly, the UK had more sense, sense a lot of us had apparently lost, probably by 1997 and certainly by 2003.

Secondly, a 7.62x51mm round will, indeed, put someone in the ground if you shoot him in the chest with it. It'll put him in a pine box six feet under the ground ... unless the family go for cremation or sky-burial or tossing the corpse off a boat or something like that.

Unusually low mortality of penetrating wounds of the chest. [http://jtcs.ctsnetjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/97/1/119]

There were 607 stab wounds and 502 gunshot wounds. Antibiotic prophylaxis was prescribed only for the 428 patients who had laparotomy, thoracotomy, and pulmonary contusion with hemoptysis. Of the 1109 patients, 105 had cardiac injuries. All patients with cardiac trauma underwent thoracotomy, and the mortality rate was 18.1%. Specifically, the mortality rate of gunshot wound of the heart 24.5% and that of stab wound of the heart, 11.5%. In contrast, of the 1004 patients without cardiac injuries, only 115 required thoracotomy and the mortality rate in this group was 0.8% (8/1004). The mortality rate was 69.6% in patients who had a thoracotomy in the emergency room but only 2.8% in patients who had a thoracotomy in the operating room within the first 24 hours after admission. In the 242 patients who had associated abdominal injuries, the mortality rate was 2.1% (5/242), as compared with 2.5% (22/867) for those who had isolated chest injuries. In the entire group, the incidence of complications was 5.1%, of which 1.8% were infectious complications. The presence of associated abdominal injuries did not influence the outcome. The mortality rate in noncardiac thoracic injuries is very low compared with that of cardiac injury. Because of the complexity of the injury, gunshot wound of the heart has the highest mortality rate.
Lethality of Firearm-Related Injuries in the United States Population [http://www.shootingvoodoo.com/index.php/articles/gunshot_wounds_and_you/]

This is a nation-wide analysis based on 132k individual patients with gunshot wounds (GSWs).

? Of those who died from their wounds, only 30% made it to the ER for treatment, the other 70% were not alive long enough to be transported.
? Of the total number of patients with GSWs who survived, 43% were treated in the ER and then released, 52% were treated and held at the hospital, and 6% were treated and transferred to an acute care facility.
? Of those shot in an assault, the overall mortality rate was 20%
? Of those shot in the head in an assault, the mortality rate was 40%.
? Of those shot anywhere other than the head in an assault, the mortality rate was 16%.

Outcomes Related to the Number and Anatomic Placement of Gunshot Wounds Carr

This is an analysis of 111 patients treated at an ER in Philadelphia in 2004. There was a lot of interesting data, and I'll comment as we work through it:

? The range of number of GSW?s per patient was from a single hit to a dozen, but the mean was 2.6 wounds and the median was 2.
? They broke the body into six anatomic sections ? head & neck, upper torso, lower torso, butt & pelvis, proximal extremities, and distal extremities. The number of regions hit per victim was a mean of 1.6 and a median of 1.

So much for all of that crap in the '80s about how Glock pistols and other high-capacity semi-autos were going to change the face of shooting... Median patient receives two hits to one region...

? Of those who arrived to the ER alive; 13% died while being treated in the ER, 27% were treated and went home (all survived long-term), and 60% were treated and held at the hospital.
? Of the 60% who were treated and held, 65% survived long-term and 35% died.
? Of that 35% who died, 100% did so within the first 24 hours.

? Mortality rates by region were 38.5% head and neck, 28.6% upper torso, 23.1% lower torso, and ZERO for butt and pelvis and the extremities!

The Number of Gunshot Wounds Does Not Predict Injury Severity and Mortality

This is an analysis of 531 patients treated at an Oakland, CA hospital from 2004 to 2006. As their title indicates, these guys appear to have supported their null hypothesis; imagine their horror!

? Of those who arrived to the ER alive, only 13.2% went on to die.
? Mortality rate from single head shots was 50%, multiple hits was 38%
? The rate for a single GSW anywhere but the head was only 9%, multiple hits was 8%.
? The mortality rate for a hit to the thoracoabdominal cavity was 13.6%, for multiples 12.9%.
? The mortality rate for a hit to an extremity only was 1.5%, multiples 0%.
? Their overall mortality rate for a single hit anywhere was 16%, for somebody hit more than once 11%.

In all cases, when there were multiple hits the mortality rate went down. What the hell does that indicate? If we had two communities of shooters, ones who took careful aim and delivered good head shots or solid cardio-pulmonary or CNS shots with a single hit, and then a second community of shooters who sprayed and prayed and got multiple hits but few "good" ones, then we could plausibly explain these results. But I strongly suspect there is, in fact, a single community of shooters on the streets of Oakland with shared levels of training and technique responsible for these 531 patients. What the hell indeed...
Military rifle bullet wound patterns [http://www.uthr.org/SpecialReports/Military_rifle_bullet_wound_patterns.htm]

Far and away the most disruptive bullet of those described is the West German 7.62 NATO round. Its fragmenting behaviour maximises utilisation of its much higher potential (bullet mass well over twice that of any of the 5.56mm bullets and velocity only about ten percent less than theirs) for tissue disruption.

NATO 7.62x51mm FMJ (US version) ... The abdominal wound, with a sufficiently long path so that the bullet will yaw, causing the large temporary cavity that is seen at depths of 20 to 35cm, would be expected to be very disruptive. If the bullet path is such that this temporary cavity occurs in the liver, this amount of tissue disruption is likely to make survival improbable.

The design standards for ammunition that can be called "NATO" ammunition do not specify bullet jacket material or jacket thickness. The construction of the West German 7.62 mm NATO bullet differs from the US 7.62 mm NATO round in that, the jacket material is copper plated steel, whereas the US version is copper (or the so called gilding metal alloy, which is predominantly copper). The West German steel jacket is about 0.6mm thick near the cannelure and the US copper jacket is about 0.8mm thick at the same point. This design difference is responsible for a vast difference in performance in tissue. The German bullet, after travelling point-forward for only about 8 cm, yaws and breaks at the cannelure. The flattened point section retains only about 66 % of the bullet's weight, the remaining 45 % mass becomes fragments (Fig. 8). The wound profile can be described as an enlarged M16 profile (Fig. 3), with dimensions of the tissue disruption increased by 60 % (temporary stress cavity about 22 cm diameter; permanent crush cavity about 11 cm diameter, penetration depth of the bullet point about 58 cm). The uncomplicated thigh wound from this bullet is likely to have a large exit with the loss of substantial tissue near the exit; still, this might not be a very serious wound since the bullet fragmentation does not occur until beyond 10 cm penetration depth and, in most shots, the bullet will have passed well beyond the major vessels before this occurs. The abdomen shot, however, because of the much enlarged permanent cavity from bullet fragmentation, is likely to prove fatal in a majority of cases.
Lots of pretty pictures of "lead snowstorms" in hips and pellets in blood vessels [http://radiographics.rsna.org/content/19/5/1358.full] and all that are available from RSNA.

The 7.62 mm × 51 military rifle bullet (7.62 mm NATO) [http://www.springerlink.com/content/g7278h1558141957/] as manufactured in Denmark, and in some other countries as well, has been claimed to fragment when fired at ranges encountered in forensic practice. All autopsied cases of death due to this bullet in Denmark since 1975 were investigated by studying autopsy reports and the bullets retrieved by the police. With one exception, all bullets that were found in, or known to have passed through the body, had fragmented. This behaviour is assumed to be due to a lack of strength in the jacket causing it to break at the cannelure when hitting the target at high velocity. The fragments will increase the already sizeable lesions and may leave the body through several separate exit wounds, presenting problems, both for the surgeon treating survivors and for the forensic scientists when defining the direction of the shot.
Terminal ballistics (hitting the target) [http://library.med.utah.edu/WebPath/TUTORIAL/GUNS/GUNBLST.html]

The type of tissue affects wounding potential, as well as the depth of penetration. (Bartlett, 2003) Specific gravity (density) and elasticity are the major tissue factors. The higher the specific gravity, the greater the damage. The greater the elasticity, the less the damage. Thus, lung tissue of low density and high elasticity is damaged less than muscle with higher density but some elasticity. Liver, spleen, and brain have no elasticity and are easily injured, as is adipose tissue. Fluid-filled organs (bladder, heart, great vessels, bowel) can burst because of pressure waves generated. A bullet striking bone may cause fragmentation of bone and/or bullet, with numerous secondary missiles formed, each producing additional wounding.
Two things to keep in mind about birdshot. The first is that birdshot is as lethal as buckshot at close range. Don't believe for a second that you can just wound someone with birdshot and he'll go on to live another day. If you aren't justified in killing a man, you aren't justified in wounding him, either. Never "shoot to wound." I once again direct you to read Ayoob's 'In the Gravest Extreme' and learn the truth. [http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm]

.308 Winchester (7.62x51mm NATO)

This is an excellent rifle cartridge, perhaps the best. Over-penetration is the biggest problem. Use fast opening bullets of 150 grains or less. The Nosler Ballistic Tip, Hornady V-Max, and Remington Accu-Tip are examples of quick-opening bullets that are available in several brands of factory loaded ammunition.
Still no record of an unarmoured victim surviving a shot to the chest with a 7.62x51mm rifle round, and yet another voice saying you never shoot to wound, only to kill.

It's almost as if the entire internet thinks you were talking shite there, isn't it?

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
I fully, 100% support the idea of cops carrying weapons.

With the caveat that private citizens should have legal access to the same level of weaponry.

William MacKay

Oct 26, 2010
i picked option 2, becuase its the safest. 1. no chance of it being taken to a minor crime and misfiring. 2. the police will have it if needed.
but i think it should be kept in the boot of the car, unloaded and with the safety on. a minor domestic dispute could turn into something terrible.
i also think guns should be legalised in britain, because right now the only guns are black-market smuggled in ones, which the government cannot trace or keep track of.

striker121

Apr 28, 2010
Shoqiyqa, you still don't shoot to wound normally. Or more precisely, it is UNBELIEVABLY against operating procedures and regulations to shoot to wound in a situation where you were unwilling to kill the suspect, because shooting a gun means that you take responsibility for possibly killing the person. That isn't to say it isn't ever done, it just isn't something taken lightly.

That information you posted though is...well, pretty damn interesting. I'd like to find more on the topic, but I REALLY couldn't possibly imagined the chances of surviving some of those gunshots as being THAT high. I always knew that a number of people survived being shot in the head, but SIXTY PERCENT!!? I really want to find more information backing that up.

Romidude

Aug 3, 2010
Baneat said:
I pick option A - Arm the police officers, legalise firearms
That would create way more problems than there already are, just look at the crime in the states.

striker121

Apr 28, 2010
Romidude said:
That would create way more problems than there already are, just look at the crime in the states.
As some have already said, the states can trace a large amount of the crime to things like gangs and drugs, pretty much no evidence that guns CAUSE the violence. THAT said though, the UK doesn't have much of an issue with gun violence, while arming the officers might make sense, beyond the whole "right to bear arms" mentality from the states (Which I personally follow...since I live there and shoot guns for fun all the time), I don't really think that legalizing firearms is the best action to take against criminals who don't really HAVE firearms yet (Atleast only a few of them)

Romidude

Aug 3, 2010
striker121 said:
Romidude said:
As some have already said, the states can trace a large amount of the crime to things like gangs and drugs, pretty much no evidence that guns CAUSE the violence. THAT said though, the UK doesn't have much of an issue with gun violence, while arming the officers might make sense, beyond the whole "right to bear arms" mentality from the states (Which I personally follow...since I live there and shoot guns for fun all the time), I don't really think that legalizing firearms is the best action to take against criminals who don't really HAVE firearms yet (Atleast only a few of them)
What I'm going to take away from this reply is that you've just told me guns should be legalized at the cost of giving them to anyone who wants to kill someone or rob a convenience store...for fun...

EagleShard

Mar 15, 2010
Atheist. said:
Edit: How in the hell would you guys manage something like this :
http://youtu.be/NT_T9zytit0
We'd manage it in the same way you would; with a specialised rifle team. As many have said above me, you arm the police, you end up arming the criminals, which just leads to more fatal violence.
I'm all for a better equipped police force, though. Tazers, and maybe even beanbag shotguns would let situations like this be dealt with better.
Respect to those officers in the video, takes balls to go up against a madman when you're armed with bloody CS spray..

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Romidude said:
Baneat said:
I pick option A - Arm the police officers, legalise firearms
It's not an issue of causing crime, which seems weak at best considering the countries are not even close to the same. There is a lot more poverty in the US, and in much larger areas. It's not a strong cause for comparison. Plus, it calls for something more important than crime statistics.

Karlaxx

Oct 26, 2009
I would vote option two, but I think in practice one may not know often enough when a call is going to get nasty enough to warrant lethal force, so we'll stick with three.

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
EvilPicnic said:
Nerdfury said:
Variant to topic, but this answers a question I've been meaning to ask on a Torchwood forum. In one episode of Torchwood (season one), the character of PC (Police Constable) Gwen Cooper is taken into an indoor firing range by Jack, shown a selection of handguns (some of which appear to be police issue) and told that she'd "need to learn to use them."

That was confusing, because I figured that she should know already, being a police officer. Turns out she doesn't because UK police aren't armed - makes sense for the show, but really fucking terrifies me as a person. Guns are what makes armed forced something to be respected and feared. Sure, the legal right to arrest and fine might be enough for some people, and nightsticks/batons and spray might for others, but what about those that aren't fearful of those things?
There are nearly 7000 authorised firearms officers in the UK, and we are a small island. All major airports and political buildings have armed officers present, as well as armed response teams being on call. So it's not true that there are no armed officers. But mostly they're not needed.

And that whole arming yourself out of fear thing works the other way too; criminals know they won't get shot out of hand and so don't feel the need to arm themselves with firearms to protect themselves. It's like the reduction of nuclear weapons, it leads to a general de-escalation of violence and tension across the board.

Saying you'd be terrified is quite interesting: here in the UK we don't live in fear at all, and there are no suggestions at all to arm the police. Notice that nearly all the 'OMG how awful' posts are from users outside the UK and most of the 'errr...why would we need to?' posts are from UK users. The grass really is greener.

In fact, if police got given lethal weapons as standard, I think most people would be pretty pissed off...

You make a very good point. Personally, I'm Australian (not American, so don't lump me in with those people!) so I'm a bit closer to the UK way of thinking than the Americans are, but I'm not familiar enough to know that the culture is as you described. So, if what you're telling me is a national standard (majority speaking, there's ALWAYS exceptions), then you certainly are right in that you don't need guns.

I wish more places were like that - unfortunately, it's societal and cultural, which means that if the police de-escalated, they'd just get shot.

Still, thanks for taking the time to explain how things are a bit there. You've changed my viewpoint thoroughly around. Not many people can do that!

striker121

Apr 28, 2010
To clarify my previous point, I believe that officers should have guns if criminals have guns, which doesn't seem to be the case in the UK, unlike most other places.

On the mention of escalation, like I said before, that's probably one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Criminals have guns because when they only have knives they get the crap beat out of them by their "victims" far more often than when they have guns, which also make them feel more powerful. Criminals don't arm themselves to protect themselves from cops, criminals arm themselves so that when they are about to get caught they can shoot the officer and get away. If you'd tried saying that if officers didn't carry guns they wouldn't get shot in the US, you'd probably be laughed out of where-ever you were. Criminals also arm themselves because it lets them kill other criminals easier, makes gang wars far more effective (You can't do a drive-by with a knife....)

Arsen

Nov 26, 2008
The guy should have been shot within seconds. Say all you want about police brutality, at least when people do these kind of things in America they are subdued in a justifiable manner. Even then, the "brutality" of it is sheer opinion anyway brought on by irrational fears towards police officers in the first place.

And no...I don't give a shit what his mental condition, upbringing, sociological argument is about.

He.should.have.been.killed. if he was threatening others with it and refused to surrender.

OT - First option. Anything otherwise is absolutely ball to the wall, shit-fucking insane. I feel sorry for the people of the UK from time to time as well as many other countries for the fact that they can't defend themselves by any armament necessary.

bpm195

May 21, 2008
The problem I have with using that video as evidence if it took place in America the criminal would have most likely had a gun making the situation that much more dangerous. Technically he probably couldn't own a gun legally, but that's not a huge obstacle here.