Poll: Artificial Meat?

Dwarfman

Oct 11, 2009
Dynast Brass said:
Dwarfman said:
Dynast Brass said:
Have you read the ingredients in your bacon lately?
Yes. Yes I have. I'm also aware of the curing and smoking methods used to make the product as well.
OK, then flavor enhancement and preservatives are not a problem.
Considering bacon is a preserved meat, then no, preservatives are not a problem, one would say it's kind of essential in making bacon, bacon in the first place. As for flavour enhancment, the bacon I - and the kitchen I work in - use is Primo. The only flavour enhancers Primo use are salts, dextrose and sucrose. Sugar and salt being essential ingredients when curing any kind of meat before smoking it. An antioxidant is also used to ensure the bacon keeps its colour and not go grey and nasty looking.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
It depends greatly. How does the meat taste?

If it tastes like watered down crap compared to real meat, you're not going to sell a lot. I eat almost only meat [Vegies because I have to in order to stay alive T.T], and I'm going to want what I'm eating to taste as good as it can. Artificial meat needs to be more meaty than Coke zero is Cokey in order to get me to eat it regularly.

Additionally, probably the bigger issue, is cost. It isn't free to make artificial meat, and even when it hits mainstream I can't imagine it coming in any less than it costs to buy protein powder - which is around $5.50 per 100gs here. In this way it may be cheaper than the more expensive cuts of meat, but by and large I can pay $2.90 per 100g for meat at the local supermarket, and its cheaper if I go to a wholesale butcher instead. If fake meat is more expensive than real meat, its also unlikely to exactly catch on.

If it can successfully pass both the above tests, however, or on both come within a very small margin of price/flavour such that, whilst obviously noticeable, its not even really a thing, then yeah, I'd probably eat artificial meat more. Its the above two that are the big problems though...

Dwarfman

Oct 11, 2009
Dynast Brass said:
You should judge food based on the scientific research into its properties, not what you think of it from a cultural perspective.
I beg your pardon! As a chef I most vehemontly disagree. Culture! History, society, geography, asthetics. These are the basis of what defines what we eat and how we eat. And just as Culture defines food, food also has defined culture.

Science has an important place too. Through it's secrets we have refined and defined the ways we can and what we can and how we can. Beyond that it has no meaning. If you are looking for what defines health, then look to common sense. As the King of Chefs and the Chef of Kings once said " It is my job to cater to your vices majesty. It is your job to curb them"

Dynast Brass said:
What do you think most flavor enhancers are? I'd add how critical those nitrates formed during the curing and/or smoking process are to flavor and product stability.
Yes they are. That's why I mentioned them.

Dynast Brass said:
Why is it fine to use saltpeter, metric tons of salt and sugar, and everything in smoke on bacon, but not on chips? Surely it's about how you eat either respectfully and in moderation.
As you say. It's how you eat. Respectfully and in moderation. As a person should.Although I would also add that variety has it's place in there as well. At no point did I ever say "eat tonnes of bacon, it's good for you". That being said you need the cure to make the bacon. Salt is an ingredient to make chips tasty, but it is not a requirement. It all boils down to the old phrase 'Does it taste good".

Dwarfman

Oct 11, 2009
Dynast Brass said:
Dwarfman said:
Dynast Brass said:
You should judge food based on the scientific research into its properties, not what you think of it from a cultural perspective.
I beg your pardon! As a chef I most vehemontly disagree. Culture! History, society, geography, asthetics. These are the basis of what defines what we eat and how we eat. And just as Culture defines food, food also has defined culture.
Seriously? In the context of this conversation wasn't it clear that I mean, "judge THE HEALTHY PROPERTIES of food"? Lets not go off on a tangent here. I'm not interested in a history of the culture of food as it relates to the known carcinogenic properties of smoke, because it has no bearing on it.
If you worry about carcinogens so much, then might I suggest a move to the country. Or perhaps live in a bubble. Such properties exist all around our environment nowadays and can affect us much more intimately than through the consumption of a product that was created in such a way as to ensure that when you eat it you DON'T die. Eating rotten food is a ***** and the ancients knew about it better than any. That's why they incorporated these methods when they prepared their food to preserve them so nothing was wasted and you don't starve to death. Yes nowadays we have refrigeration and we aren't as relying on the changing of the seasons as we used to be to ensure nutritional diversity but these methods live on. Not to annoy killjoys like yourself, but because it's ingrained in the culture it's what brings them together. Sets off the endorphins and other watchamacallits in the brain and make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. And they're still effective means of preserving foodstuffs.

And as for context of conversation and tangents I think it's plainly obvious that there ARE no tangents. When it comes to this conversation we exist on two separate planes. Our thoughts and ideals completely different. In your sterile context. Yes you are right. In my context? I damn well know I'm right. When ideologies such as ours clash it may be best to agree to disagree.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
IOwnTheSpire said:
I've heard about scientists being able to create artificial meat, or in vitro meat, and it got me wondering what would happen if this became a mainsteam practice. Do you think we would have an ethical obligation to stop eating real meat (as in stop killing animals)? Would vegetarians/vegans be willing to eat artificial meat? What do you guys think?
Vegans are basically hypocrites any way. I mean they are against killing animals but plants.. no fuck plants, plants can die. At least the cow has the chance to run and fight back (and if you check how many how related deaths there are in the us each year.. you realize they're not doing too badly.)

I can say with moral superiority that at least my steak was dead when ithit the grill. That carrot some vegan threw in the blender fro a smoothie... was still alive. Yes they also have discovered plants do 'feel' pain as in they do have the ability to detect injury to themselves and respond in defensive manner (anti-bodies and what not). Plants feel pain.. they just can't ruyn or cry or make soulful eyes.

As for artificial meat... meh. I have nothing against it. I am a strict Omnivore. If it's tasty I'll eat it

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
FirstNameLastName said:
Provided it tastes just as good, costs about the same, is just as nutritious and doesn't have some even worse drawback, then sure, why wouldn't I? It's not like many people live anything close to an all natural diet anyway. How many of you right now are eating some kind of processed junkfood or drinking something equally artificial?

Honestly, despite me unashamedly eating meat and having no regrets, nor any intentions of becoming vegetarian/vegan, whenever the topic of vegetarianism/veganism comes up I find myself embarrassed by the stupid arguments put forth by people who I'm ostensibly on the same side as.
"But what will become of all those animals that are yet to be slaughtered?"
"But if it weren't for meat we wouldn't be here today, therefore it is perfectly moral, just like all the other past actions of our society ..."
"But what about all the poor carrots? They're living things too, so isn't vegetarianism just as bad?"

Christ, get some new arguments, because these ones are cringe-worthy and seem to be brought out every time.

On a coincidental side note, I'm off to buy a meat-lovers' pizza.
I am actually curious about the "But what will become of all those animals that are yet to be slaughtered?" question, from a logistical standpoint. Like, if "artificial" meat tastes better is cheaper and is healthier, what do we do with all those cows? They are useless to us now, we are not going to keep on feeding them.

The amount of animals slaughtered in a year is staggering, the logistics of largely eliminating that industry are hard to comprehend.

Nailzzz

Apr 6, 2015
If I ever became incredibly wealthy, this is where I would invest a good chunk of my fortune. I view morality as the path taken to reduce suffering in this world. This would be a huge step in that direction. Hopefully with more investment, they could refine and create ways to make this more feasible. It would of course have to be made affordable and as similar to the real thing in terms of taste and texture as possible.

Dwarfman

Oct 11, 2009
Dynast Brass said:
Dwarfman said:
Dynast Brass said:
Dwarfman said:
Dynast Brass said:
Seriously? In the context of this conversation wasn't it clear that I mean, "judge THE HEALTHY PROPERTIES of food"? Lets not go off on a tangent here. I'm not interested in a history of the culture of food as it relates to the known carcinogenic properties of smoke, because it has no bearing on it.
If you worry about carcinogens so much, then might I suggest a move to the country. Or perhaps live in a bubble.
This marks your shift from an actual discussion, to fallacy. It also marks the moment I stopped reading, and disengaged completely. I think it's only polite to tell you that in no uncertain terms.
Each to their own buddy. As I mentioned although you didn't read. Agree to disagree. This was a discussion that was destined to go no where.

Maphysto

Dec 11, 2010
If we reach the point that we can create artificial meat of the same quality/nutrition, and with none of the suffering found in modern industrial livestock farming, then yeah, I would switch to artificial meat.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
If it turns out to be appropriately delicious and priced similarly or cheaper, than sure. If it's tasty and will keep me alive, don't especially care whether it was once a real animal or not.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
DrOswald said:
FirstNameLastName said:
Provided it tastes just as good, costs about the same, is just as nutritious and doesn't have some even worse drawback, then sure, why wouldn't I? It's not like many people live anything close to an all natural diet anyway. How many of you right now are eating some kind of processed junkfood or drinking something equally artificial?

Honestly, despite me unashamedly eating meat and having no regrets, nor any intentions of becoming vegetarian/vegan, whenever the topic of vegetarianism/veganism comes up I find myself embarrassed by the stupid arguments put forth by people who I'm ostensibly on the same side as.
"But what will become of all those animals that are yet to be slaughtered?"
"But if it weren't for meat we wouldn't be here today, therefore it is perfectly moral, just like all the other past actions of our society ..."
"But what about all the poor carrots? They're living things too, so isn't vegetarianism just as bad?"

Christ, get some new arguments, because these ones are cringe-worthy and seem to be brought out every time.

On a coincidental side note, I'm off to buy a meat-lovers' pizza.
I am actually curious about the "But what will become of all those animals that are yet to be slaughtered?" question, from a logistical standpoint. Like, if "artificial" meat tastes better is cheaper and is healthier, what do we do with all those cows? They are useless to us now, we are not going to keep on feeding them.

The amount of animals slaughtered in a year is staggering, the logistics of largely eliminating that industry are hard to comprehend.
Because the problems with all those left over animals only exists in some hypothetical situation in which the entire country decides to give up meat over night, whereas even if the entirety of society became vegan (which they never will) it would happen slowly over time, resulting in the supply gradually diminishing as the demand does. Unless some absolute idiot politician decided to suddenly ban meat without warning, there would never be a situation in which the demand goes from massive numbers of cows to absolutely nothing in a short enough time to cause problems.

As for the idea of artificial meat completely supplanting actual meat, it's possible but unlikely, and if it does supplant actual meat to any extent it certainly won't do it rapidly enough for it to cause any problems with left over animals either. People are already terrified of genetically modified vegetables, I would wager that plenty of people will be equally suspicious of artificial meat when it does hit the shelves, and I'm sure there will be those who never make the switch no matter how far into the future. There are still people who shun modern medicine in favour of healing crystals for fuck sake, I think it's pretty clear there will be those who regard artificial meat as "unnatural" and will seek out the traditional route just for the sake of it.

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
I can't honestly answer the poll because my willingness to eat it would depend on a few things:
1) Does it taste the same?
2) Is the texture the same?
3) Is it as cheap or cheaper than traditional meat?
4) Is it better on an ecological/environmental standard? (i.e. using less resources and polluting less)
5) Is the nutritional content the same or better?
6) Are there any long term side effects to eating it? (i.e. cancer risk, effect on cholesterol, blood pressure and colorectal health etc.)

If the majority or all of these can be answered with a yes, then, yes, I would consider giving up traditional meat for it, otherwise it would be a balance, or sticking with real meat.

Wakey87

Sep 20, 2011
Just like the lead pipes that carried our drinking water to asbestos we sprayed into our loft in the 80's I'm pretty warry when scientists come up with these marvelous things to make life "better"

Saying that I do have several radioactive fire alarms in my house and am bombarded by several wifi signals constantly all day so I'm not so stubborn not to see a benefit behind such things, I just don't see artificial meat to be worth the risk.